Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air International discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I fly Norwegian last year and paid for a meal. Thinking of going on the basic fare with hand luggage only out on the morning flight and back on the day time flight? Is the buy on board expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Id probably just bring a sandwich etc with me, the quality of food sold on planes it horrendous ****e!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Id probably just bring a sandwich etc with me, the quality of food sold on planes it horrendous ****e!
    As long as it doesn’t contain meat or dairy as that’s not allowed through CBP

Locker10a wrote: »
    As long as it doesn’t contain meat or dairy as that’s not allowed through CBP
    pretty awful sandwich without meat butter or cheese? What's the onboard food like other than the prepaid meal?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Of what? Dry bread and lettuce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

jjbrien wrote:
    pretty awful sandwich without meat butter or cheese? What's the onboard food like other than the prepaid meal?

Don't think there is a buy-on-board option. Preorder meal or bring your own.

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    jjbrien wrote:

Don't think there is a buy-on-board option. Preorder meal or bring your own.
    There is a buy on board, probably not as big a selection as Aer Lingus or Ryanair but there’d be a few things alright, sandwiches, sweet and savoury snacks and drinks of course. Fresh options like sandwiches as always would be of a limited supply

Found the menu https://www.norwegian.com/globalassets/ip/documents/travelling-with-us/on-board/food-and-drinks/norwegian-menu-international-uk_mars-2018-red.pdf might still do it. If i am to add the extra €50 per flight on it makes it not worth the cheap flight

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

@jjbrien

Why would you want to use buying onboard?
    The 3 previous times i went Norwegian airways I brought sandwichs some chocolate bottle of water juice and listened to music. no need give them more money.
    and its not that long a flight tbh. great views out window. fab crew.

mikel97 wrote: »
    @jjbrien

The 3 previous times i went Norwegian airways I brought sandwichs some chocolate bottle of water juice and listened to music. no need give them more money.

Well others said cant bright any sandbo's with meat, cheese or any dairy in them. Would be a very bland choice without any of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

jjbrien wrote: »
    Found the menu https://www.norwegian.com/globalassets/ip/documents/travelling-with-us/on-board/food-and-drinks/norwegian-menu-international-uk_mars-2018-red.pdf might still do it. If i am to add the extra €50 per flight on it makes it not worth the cheap flight

Quite a lot of that menu is only available on the B787 flights ex LGW.

@jjbrien

This mentality always makes me laugh! I’ve encountered so many people with a totally pretentious, patronising attitude to people who buy on board, add bags, pay for extras etc on flights, do you honestly think if nobody gave the airlines extra revenues through all these extras the basic “bare” low fares you enjoywould be as low and affordable as they are!! Airlines need to make money to operate, and if everyone only paid the absolute bare bones then the average low fare needed to breaks even would have to be raised, the reason super low fares exists is because airlines make the money back selling extras and buy on board. If you enjoy low fares you should sit back and be delighted others are subsidising your low fares by purchasing drinks and meals etc

I respect ure view of course as I do you but for me:
    Well you wont find me buying crap I dont need. Or indeed contributing to ure commision. Its a mode of transport. My ticket is a contract to get me from A to B, i pay for a seat and physiological requirements. Same on a train or bus. its a service not anything else. I dont care about airline revenue not my business, if they cant get it right its there problem. im the customer i can use who i want.
    Water is a basic need as is access to a toilet.

Norwegian are perfect for me and were for 33 million others in 2017.

Thats it Nada.
    Have a cup of tea!

Well you wont find me buying crap I dont need. Or indeed contributing to ure commision. Its a mode of transport. My ticket is a contract to get me from A to B, i pay for a seat and physiological requirements. Same on a train or bus. its a service not anything else. I dont care about airline revenue not my business, if they cant get it right its there problem. im the customer i can use who i want.

Thats it Nada.
    Have a cup of tea!

So your post is "I respect your view, but here's a pile of abuse".

I take no joy in being stingy. Maybe one want a buy on board meal! Might be expensive but not often mant sit on a plane for that length of time.

Nobody's suggesting to force you to buy such products, (or use poor grammar) hence you do not have to do so, nor are you entitled to get abusive about it.

JCX BXC wrote: »

I take no joy in being stingy. Maybe one want a buy on board meal! Might be expensive but not often mant sit on a plane for that length of time.

Nobody's suggesting to force you to buy such products, (or use poor grammar) hence you do not have to do so, nor are you entitled to get abusive about it.

English is not my first language. Not stingy I just need to watch what I spend, Im responsible to make my life work without going into details with a complete stranger. Its a short flight.
    Not being abusive.......... Relaxxxx

Thats it Nada.
    Have a cup of tea!
    You’ve missed my point. I never said you have to buy anything. But if nobody bought anything extra the low fares wouldn’t be quite so low, it’s basic business logic, if you don’t make profit in one area you make up for it elsewhere.
    Also commission ? I don’t make any commission in my job, i don’t give a toss what you pay for, I’m pointing out your skewed logic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

JCX BXC wrote: »

Where's the abuse?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Think I'd eat in the airport tbh

A little off topic but has anyone used primera air? They have a simular offering to Norwegian and are starting transatlantic flights ex the UK? Thet have been flying within europe for some time so I am curious to know

Ya prob best avoided unless booking last min. Does anyone know if Norwegian will be doing an easter sale this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

jjbrien wrote: »
    A little off topic but has anyone used primera air? They have a simular offering to Norwegian and are starting transatlantic flights ex the UK? Thet have been flying within europe for some time so I am curious to know

Flew with them to Majorca a few years ago there was an Aer Lingus crew on board so they had it on charter., no issues with the plane..

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭mmc272

Went to book a November trip from Dublin to Providence. Can’t see anything available to book after October. Can’t see anything to Providence from any airport after October. I was sure I seen them on sale before. Are they not on sale yet?

mmc272 wrote: »
    Went to book a November trip from Dublin to Providence. Can’t see anything available to book after October. Can’t see anything to Providence from any airport after October. I was sure I seen them on sale before. Are they not on sale yet?

I noticed that myself my OH is American and we were looking at going over to her family for thanksgiving cant book yet

Winter schedules not confirmed yet, not particularly strange however, it's still only March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Another Norwegian-US thread here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057677885&page=35

I flew SWF-SNN return in February, I ate before I got to the airport on both legs and brought granola bars and water to snack on during the flight. I don't like any airline food, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

jimbis wrote: »
    Heading to New York tomorrow with Norwegian DUB-SWF.
    I'll let yous know how I get on, Being my first time flying outside of Europe I've no experience flying long haul on the usual setup so it'll be a non biased view on cheap transatlantic travel.

A Bit late replying to myself here.....

As i said this was my first long haul. Also despite this forum being my most visited and the major love i have for aviation... I am still not a good flyer. I just dont fly enough but thats another issue.
    This service however is excellent in my view, we flew DUB-SWF two days after paddys day so it was a full flight. We didnt pay to prebook seats but arrived at the airport about 3 and a half hours before departure and were given a choice of what seats we wanted that were available. Our carry on bags were checked in free of charge so no lugging them around the airport/plane.
    We had a nice big meal before the flight (15:30 departure) and brought a few snacks and water on board for the flight. id happily go the 7 hours without eating but the missus gets hangry. We bought 2 beers from the snack cart which came out twice during the flight.
    Arriving in Stewart is where this route wins, from plane/to baggage/to bus is at most 100yards walking distance. The bus Has power points and free wifi (Plane didnt) i forgot to time the journey but we reckon it was around 1hr20.
    Bus leaves you at the port authority which was only 3 blocks from our hotel.

The return journey was similar although we flew through the night. Stewart airport hasnt got alot in it, the diner type shop after security is all microwaved food so best off grabbing something from the place oppisite the check in desk (cant remember the name but its popular in the US). Alot less passengers on board, 2 lucky sods where offered an empty middle exit row each before we had a chance to ask. The cart only went through the plane once this time, most people asleep anyway. The wifi start working on the last 3rd of the flight which was great for me as i cant sleep in the air so i was getting pretty bored (although the Norwegian page told me i was landing in oslo:))
    We disembarked at pier3 and walked to T2 to collect out bags.

My overall view is this is exactly what you expect it to be. Its gets you to the US for close to half the price of Aer Lingus.
    Its basic, i would have liked a bit more room, a meal, entertainment etc but there is no way i want to pay a few hundred euro for that. Im being brought from point A to Point B+C and thats how i see it. I had more money to spend on us during our trip to NY.

From the other halfs point of view... baring in mind she has traveled to Australia a number of times and is used to the regular long haul aircraft and treatment. The only thing that bothered her was the turbulence and the need for a bigger seat on the way back for sleep.

Its exactly what it says on the tin really. If you want some extra comfort and meal etc then go AerLingus. But Norwegian get you to the same place for alot less.
    I hope this works out for them because in my view its an excellent service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Nice review. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

How long were you waiting for the bus at Stewart??? That is the ONLY thing that let's down Norwegian for me, the bus has been delayed arriving both times I've gone with them, and it takes about 45 minutes from when the bus arrives to when it leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

The bus was there waiting when we walked out. Can't remember how long we were sitting there before we left but it wasn't too long, I'm guessing around 15mins after everyone had boarded.

Getting the bus at the port authority on the way back we had a bit of a wait as traffic in Manhattan was close to a stand still because of the anti gun March. We had gone for an earlier bus so weren't worried about time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

jimbis wrote: »
    The bus was there waiting when we walked out. Can't remember how long we were sitting there before we left but it wasn't too long, I'm guessing around 15mins after everyone had boarded.

Getting the bus at the port authority on the way back we had a bit of a wait as traffic in Manhattan was close to a stand still because of the anti gun March. We had gone for an earlier bus so weren't worried about time.

Seems to be just my bad luck then, everyone else I know has the same story as you....

Advertisement