Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air International discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

As it's not an abbreviation that crops up too often, to save people going searching elsewhere CASM = Cost per Available Seat Mile.

Going forward, if posters are going to use an obscure abbreviation like this PLEASE PUT THE FULL EXPANSION in to the post

Here's one I hadn't heard of previously:

SODPROPS = Simultaneous Opposite Direction Parallel Runway Operations.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7334014

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Just an FYI. I moved the IAG buying stake in NAX posts to their own thread. This could be an ongoing discussion and will clutter up the discussion about NAX routes themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Flying to Stewart next week. One question. Are there ports to charge phone/laptop under the seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Morrison J wrote: »
    Flying to Stewart next week. One question. Are there ports to charge phone/laptop under the seat?

Nope. Bring a power bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Does anyone know if the 8.10 flight from Dublin Airport to Stewart does pre-clearence?
    I thought pre-clearence only opened at 7am so wouldn't that leave it kind of tight to get through on time?

I flew once on a 9am flight to the US and went down to pre-clearence at 7am when it opened and it was packed. Took almost 40 minutes to get through. That might be tight for an 8am flight.

Yes it does, I understand preclearence opens at 6:30am for the summer, just as it did when Aer Lingus operated their 7:50am flight to New York.

Ah ok thanks. This is actually for November for Thanksgiving. Maybe they extended it to 6.30 am all year?

Presumably so yes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

EI-FYD seems to have gone tech in Shannon on Wednesday after operating D81824 from Providence. That evening's D81825 and return D81820 to Cork were cancelled. A 738 positioned LGW-ORK on Thursday to operate D81821/1824 (currently airborne PVD-SNN).

Loads can't be too hectic if they are using 738's at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

Anyone flown recently with these? I can see a few positive posts from previous posters but just being curious. I was looking at a last minute flight to NY and I can’t get over how cheap the flights are. When I see stuff this cheap, I just assume it’s going to be rubbish!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Cb12345

GDK_11 wrote: »
    Anyone flown recently with these? I can see a few positive posts from previous posters but just being curious. I was looking at a last minute flight to NY and I can’t get over how cheap the flights are. When I see stuff this cheap, I just assume it’s going to be rubbish!!!
    I flew with them in December Dublin providence. Would highly recommend.
    No Wi-Fi, no in flight entertainment, no free meal. Phone/tablet and power bank help.
    But plane was comfy and seemed quieter than ryanair/aer lingus planes I'd be used to. Service was good on board. And was punctual.

If I fly to states again I would definitely use them. I'd probably get a meal on way over next time though. No need on way back.

Would you actually prebook the hot meal for €30? We weren't going to bother because I think you can buy sandwiches etc. onboard for €7/8 and I'll bring snacks.
    I think I would pay 30 euro yes, we went with snacks when we flew. The way the service works out on board they serve pre dinner drinks to those with meals(wine/beer) , then serve dinner along with another drink before the normal service starts for those without pre-booked meals.
    Definitely not worth it on way back though if you have a late evening flight.

PS you need to order meals a minimum of 3 working days in advance. Can't be ordered on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

What food can you bring through pre clearance ?

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    What food can you bring through pre clearance ?
    Crisps and packaged snacks, bread/sambos (am open to correction on this) with no meat/dairy fillings. No fruit either as far as I can remember. But to be honest youd be as well to look at website for homeland security for allowed/forbiden food items.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

GDK_11 wrote: »

Flew two weeks ago with them, as well as last summer, both times Dublin-Providence. No different to flying economy on Aer Lingus to the states, bar the no TV or meal. That's easily solved by bringing your own tablet with movies/tv shows downloaded and a book/ebook and bringing your own snacks. Free wifi worked on my very first flight with Norwegian, but I haven't found it working on 3 flights since. Staff are grand and planes are all new.

My flights last summer cost 205 return and my flights few weeks ago were 249 return, booked less than a month before travel. I always paid minimum 430 when flying to Boston with Aer Lingus, and that was booking months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭irishrebe

Cb12345 wrote: »
    I think I would pay 30 euro yes, we went with snacks when we flew. The way the service works out on board they serve pre dinner drinks to those with meals(wine/beer) , then serve dinner along with another drink before the normal service starts for those without pre-booked meals.
    Definitely not worth it on way back though if you have a late evening flight.
    Jaysus, no way would I pay 30 euros for what they offer (very bog standard airline food). Their sandwich and snack prices are reasonable enough. I got away with bringing a cheese sandwich on board but I'd say it depends which officer you get. Anyone with a meat filling was made to throw it in the bin. All in all I found the flight absolutely grand.

Anyone know if Norwegian has self service check-in kiosks in DUB ? Their US flights don't seem to be eligible for online check-in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Norwegian has self service check-in kiosks in DUB ? Their US flights don't seem to be eligible for online check-in.
    No, for all US flights you must present at the check in desk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

A Norweigan Airlines flight has been forced into an unscheduled landing at Birmingham Airport.

The service was flying from Iceland this morning, June 16, but did not reach its intended destination.

The flight, number D86241, was bound for Madrid from Reykjavik but was having to stop half way at Birmingham.

Details of why the Boeing 737 plane had to cease are not yet known.

International Flight News has reported it declared a mid-air emergency.

A spokesperson for the airport confirmed the runway was closed.
    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/norwegian-flight-birmingham-airport-d86241-14792891

Anyone know why it diverted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

jjbrien wrote: »

Reported as a hydraulic issue.

I flew with Norwegian last week, European flight and was much comfier than Ryanair and plane much cleaner than Ryanair usually is. Plane was half empty too which helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

jive wrote: »

I flew with Norwegian last week, European flight and was much comfier than Ryanair and plane much cleaner than Ryanair usually is. Plane was half empty too which helps!

Thanks for that, Half full doesnt help with profits however

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

jjbrien wrote: »
    jive wrote: »

Thanks for that, Half full doesnt help with profits however
    Depending on the route it could have been a plethora of missed connections, their long haul ops have been suffering some horrific delays this summer, on occasion in excess of 4,5, 6 hours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

Looks like it blew a wheel on Take off, lost a hydraulic system.

LeakRate wrote: »

Looks like it blew a wheel on Take off, lost a hydraulic system.

Speed brakes working on only one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

https://canadianaviationnews.wordpress.com/news/

As a frequent flyer to YYZ (Toronto) and frankly sick of Aer Lingus, this is a very attractive flight schedule if it comes to fruition. Times alone make it worthwhile to avoid T3 queues and traffic out of Toronto.

ironclaw wrote: »
    https://canadianaviationnews.wordpress.com/news/

As a frequent flyer to YYZ (Toronto) and frankly sick of Aer Lingus, this is a very attractive flight schedule if it comes to fruition. Times alone make it worthwhile to avoid T3 queues and traffic out of Toronto.

Sick of Aer Lingus? Try Air Canada and Air Transat

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It'll be good going if Norwegian manage to make that route a success. There's already EI/AC/TS/WJ on the route covering the whole spectrum of fares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Sick of Aer Lingus? Try Air Canada and Air Transat

Flew Air Transat to Cancun last week out of YYZ, couldn't fault them in any regards.

Air Canada, hit and miss but at least their rewards program works and they are part of Star Alliance. Their international lounge in YYZ is one of the best I've visited. My status is via LH but they've upgraded me on a number of occasions.

I used be a huge advocate of Aer Lingus but have become a huge detractor as they show little regard for customer service, don't seem to care about business or repeat travellers and Aer Club is a joke. Begs the question why one would pay a premium to fly with them really. I'd rather pay the little more at fly BA or LH, or just take a cheap seat and save some money. They've complete lost their market positioning, they are neither premium or budget, they're just awful.

Advertisement