Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air International discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Hi there, can I ask, how was flying with Norweigan Air? I'm using them soon and have been a bit scared by horror stories popping up on Twitter! Lots of lost luggage, queues etc. Did you have any of that going through Dublin or on return leg?

Thanks very much :)

Hey, flying myself soon, some mad stories on twitter alright most seem to be from UK though.

I've been watching another thread on here, not sure if you've seen it, some reviews coming in from pages 50 on, theres' one on the page I'll link. Hope that helps

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057677885&page=60

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Galway_Born

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Hey, flying myself soon, some mad stories on twitter alright most seem to be from UK though.

I've been watching another thread on here, not sure if you've seen it, some reviews coming in from pages 50 on, theres' one on the page I'll link. Hope that helps

That's great, had a read through, both terrifying and satisfying at same time! Basically a long Ryanair flight! Once I get there without losing luggage and without having flights cancelled I'll be able to deal with whatever is thrown at me...famous last words!

That's great, had a read through, both terrifying and satisfying at same time! Basically a long Ryanair flight! Once I get there without losing luggage and without having flights cancelled I'll be able to deal with whatever is thrown at me...famous last words!

Me too, I'm quite excited by it to be honest. It's a bit of an adventure.

I get the feeling we'll be ahead of the curve :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I think it's safe to say that so far, these flights have been nothing short of disastrous unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I think it's safe to say that so far, these flights have been nothing short of disastrous unfortunately

Can you elaborate? I've seen them on the boards in Dublin Airport but never heard anything, good or bad.

• Advertisement

Me too, I'm quite excited by it to be honest. It's a bit of an adventure.

I get the feeling we'll be ahead of the curve :pac:

Someone said to me that if the flight is direct, there's less chance of the bags getting lost, only if there is connecting flights can it be trouble. Hopefully that's right.

I'm thinking of heading to the check in desk a little early in case of long queues on the morning of flight. Choice of either queuing and waiting for desk to open, or queuing at end of long queue of people checking in! Difficult choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

ironclaw wrote: »
    Can you elaborate? I've seen them on the boards in Dublin Airport but never heard anything, good or bad.

Sorry, I clicked into the wrong thread. I am basing it on what I have seen in SNN. Flights cancelled and pax being put on a bus to Belfast recently was ridiculous.

So, I'm back from my trip with Norweigan Air, and overall they were great, both directions. I'll elaborate a bit more in this reply so if anyone else is thinking of using them, they'll have whatever info available that I was wondering myself about it.

We travelled to Dublin from Galway, I was wondering about what would be a good time to get there because the travel PDF we got said that check in was available from 12:30pm (2 hours before the flight). We didn't want to get there too early before the check in desk opened in case we had to wait until 12:30pm but also didn't want to get there too late in case there was a big queue ahead of us, already waiting to check in.

We got to Dublin Airport at 11:45 ahead of a 2:30pm flight and headed straight for the Norweigan desk and were able to check in straight away, with no queue. We checked in one large suitcase and kept one carry on case each as well as a backpack each.

In hindsight, I think we could have got away with just having one carry on case each between us, and not taken the large case at all, which cost something like 35/45 per flight, which would obviously make it cheaper but seeing as it was summer when we went there, we wore light clothes and I took too many long trousers. If we travelled in winter / autumn, more warm clothes would be needed and so the extra case probably needed.

Anyways, we checked in no problem, there is a 10kg weight restriction on your carry on luggage, which seems like it is a combination of your backpack (if you have one) plus your carry on case. I say "seems like" because on the way over they only weighed my carry on case and took no notice of the backpack, but on the way back, they measured both together but thankfully they were under the limit when combined. So just in case you're thinking of sticking loads into your backpack, be wary in case you're stung.

We went thru the airport security quite quickly and once we were thru there, I bought sandwiches and a drink for the flight. When ordering the flights, you get the option of paying for food, but we thought it was expensive and so decided against it. I put the food and drink into my rucksack and then we headed to the US pre-approval area, which also had a security checkpoint that we had to go thru and put the bags thru. I was sure my food and drink would be taken off me when going thru, but they paid no heed to it!

We went to the departure gate and waited there for the flight, I had heard loads of nightmares on Twitter about the service, delays etc, but for ours it was perfect, everything seemed to run on time. And as it's assigned seating, there was no Ryanair style rush to get on, although we did still try to get on pretty sharpish to ensure we had overhead cabin space which can be a problem on any flight these days.

There were spaces on the flight also and so some people asked if they could be moved and the hostesses were happy enough to give a row of three seats to a couple of lads who slept for most of the journey.

For the journey itself, I found the leg room to be great and could pretty much stretch my legs easily enough, although I'm under 6ft so might not be as comfortable for others.

There's no in-flight entertainment, but we had plenty of stuff downloaded to watch on our phones or tablets so that wasn't an issue.

They advertise Wifi on their flights, but that seems to only be for European flights, or at least on only some planes which have the feature installed. Ours didn't anyways.

I mentioned the food aspect earlier, and although you won't get meals if you don't order in advance, there is a trolley which goes thru during the flight where you can get sandwiches, coffee / tea / drinks. Prices were okay, not cheap but not rip offs either.

Flight experience wise, it was probably the best long haul I've had, which surprised me a lot. We landed at the airport in Stewart in what seemed to be the softest landing I've ever had, and despite the horror stories, our checked bag was waiting for us and we got thru the airport very quickly. Outside there was a bus waiting for us to bring us to New York, which cost 20dollars and can be either booked in advance or on the bus. It didn't leave immediately, but after about 20 mins we were on the road.

The bus took about 100mins roughly to get to the bus terminal in New York, which is pretty busy because it's a stones throw away from Times Square! So be prepared for a manic walk thru New York for a Subway station if you're not getting a taxi / picked up by someone.

On the return leg, it was pretty much the same. The buses are lined up at 30mins intervals from 3pm, 3:30 and 4pm I think it is, ahead of a flight at 8.30, so whatever one you get, you're gonna have a bit of a wait at the airport. We got the 3:30 bus which we were a bit lucky to get on as there was more people who arrived just after us who weren't able to fit on.

At the airport in Stewart, prices are ludicrous. So if you can, have a huge eat somewhere in New York, although in most places in New York, you'll be ripped off too!

But after the horror stores we'd heard of flights getting cancelled and huge delays, our flight left right on time and got us to Ireland on schedule. Again, flight was easy, slightly less comfortable because the tiredness of the week caught up on me but Norweigan were great.

Overall, I found Norweigan to be brilliant. I don't know whether our flights were lucky or once-offs, but I can't really find anything to criticise them about. If you're happy to fly with Ryanair, these guys are just the same and I would definitely recommend them to others, but with the proviso that others may not have had the experience that I have had.

So, to anyone who has flights booked and are worried I hope that this might ease the worries a bit, and I hope your flights with them are as good as mine were.

ps, I hope it goes without saying, but I don't work for Norweigan, not am I affiliated with them in any way!

Happy flying!

Anyways, we checked in no problem, there is a 10kg weight restriction on your carry on luggage, which seems like it is a combination of your backpack (if you have one) plus your carry on case. I say "seems like" because on the way over they only weighed my carry on case and took no notice of the backpack, but on the way back, they measured both together but thankfully they were under the limit when combined. So just in case you're thinking of sticking loads into your backpack, be wary in case you're stung.

Thanks for the review, sounds good.

Never thought they'd be weighing the carry on once it was the size, so thanks for the heads up as I'm only bringing a carry on.

Also, thanks for the tip on Stewart.

Thanks for the review, sounds good.

Never thought they'd be weighing the carry on once it was the size, so thanks for the heads up as I'm only bringing a carry on.

Also, thanks for the tip on Stewart.

No problem, hope it's a bit of help anyway. Defo be wary on the weight restriction, I have a feeling that might be where they recoup a bit of money, in charging people who bring too much luggage!

• Advertisement

No problem, hope it's a bit of help anyway. Defo be wary on the weight restriction, I have a feeling that might be where they recoup a bit of money, in charging people who bring too much luggage!

Yeh really great advice thanks

My top tip for the States is bring nothing. Clothing is infinitely cheaper, even more so if you hit the outlets and have some cash to spend.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Great review Galway_Born, thanks
    If we travelled in winter / autumn, more warm clothes would be needed and so the extra case probably needed.

Just a tip for you, if you do a lot of travelling, you should check out Marino Wool clothing and goose feather or synthetic jackets.

My goose feather jacket compresses into about the size of my fist, but was more then warm enough for hiking across the mountains of Norway in snow!

With layering and Marino Wool, etc. you really don't need to bring much more clothes even in winter.

Uniqlo does "cheap" goose feather jackets and Lidl/Aldi do "cheap" Marino Wool base layers and T-Shirts every few months.
    ironclaw wrote: »
    My top tip for the States is bring nothing. Clothing is infinitely cheaper, even more so if you hit the outlets and have some cash to spend.

Only think to watch out for is that the sizes and fit are quite different then in Europe. If you have an athletic fit, I find US sizes end up looking poor. As a result I've given up on buying clothes in the US, with the exception of Uniqlo which is more Asian/European fit.

bk wrote: »

Just a tip for you, if you do a lot of travelling, you should check out Marino Wool clothing and goose feather or synthetic jackets.

My goose feather jacket compresses into about the size of my fist, but was more then warm enough for hiking across the mountains of Norway in snow!

Thanks man :) I'll have to check out Marino Wool Clothing too, that sounds amazing!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks man :) I'll have to check out Marino Wool Clothing too, that sounds amazing!

Yes, well worth getting too if you do any sort of outdoor sports in winter. Running, cycling, soccer, etc.

That is how I learned about it, through my interest in hiking, but makes for great travel gear too. Not "cheap", but very good quality and last for years and SO warm and comfy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

how long until 737Max ETOPS certification?
    Does it arrive soon enough for them to be able to plan additional Spring/Summer routes in 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

737max wrote: »
    how long until 737Max ETOPS certification?
    Does it arrive soon enough for them to be able to plan additional Spring/Summer routes in 2018?

I'd imagine it would have it by then, I've read something saying it should take no more than a few months.

Will they use the MAX in Europe or continue TATL is the question.

bk wrote: »

With layering and Marino Wool, etc. you really don't need to bring much more clothes even in winter.

Uniqlo does "cheap" goose feather jackets and Lidl/Aldi do "cheap" Marino Wool base layers and T-Shirts every few months.

Only think to watch out for is that the sizes and fit are quite different then in Europe. If you have an athletic fit, I find US sizes end up looking poor. As a result I've given up on buying clothes in the US, with the exception of Uniqlo which is more Asian/European fit.

Great tips, will try Uniqlo for that jacket when in London in a few days.

Great tips, will try Uniqlo for that jacket when in London in a few days.

Yes, they are great value for money. They aren't as good as the goose feather jacket I have for hiking from Rab, but then that costs 4 times more!

I was delighted when I picked up the Uniqlo one. It allows me keep the expensive Rab one good for just hiking use and use the Uniqlo one for casual wear all winter long and when travelling. Also the styling of the Uniqlo ones is less hiking and more casual wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Backpack20

Took a spur of the moment trip to New York last week . Booked the flights two days before departure. 240 return , which was very good ! Anyways , just want to say how pleased I was with Norwegian airlines. Aircraft was a 737 max flying to New York, lovely mood lighting in the cabin , flight attendants were very friendly and proactive. Although the flight didn't have wifi, they had overhead monitors that played various shows with subtitles. Seats were comfy and good recline. I found the cabin very spacious and modern. Getting from the airport to newyork was a breeze, bus right outside the terminal, bus had wifi and charger ports . Someone probably wrote a similar review to this, I just wanted to share my positive experience .

Also for the flight home , I went to a corner deli in the city and got a sandwich made and some Fruit and snacks for like 7 dollars. That's the price of a overpriced panini on the flight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

No deal between Ryanair and Norwegian...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/ryanair-ends-talks-with-norwegian-air-shuttle-on-transfers-1.3225733

you'd wonder does MOL secretly hope they will collapse and to buy them...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Idbatterim wrote: »
    No deal between Ryanair and Norwegian...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/ryanair-ends-talks-with-norwegian-air-shuttle-on-transfers-1.3225733

you'd wonder does MOL secretly hope they will collapse and to buy them...

He hopes they'll collapse, I'm sure. Not sure he'd want to buy them - vast amounts of 737s on the secondary market, laid off pilots (many of which may be FR anyway) and so on would be dream time for rapid expansion without having to absorb the entire existing structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

but any plans he had for ryanair US are firmly off the agenda now, unless he could take over norwegian, he could then feed his current traffic into the norwegian long haul network....

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

Hi, I’m flying Norwegian to Boston next week for the first time. I’d like to know the Do’s and Dont’s of flying with them. I’ve booked basic tickets ie: no food, no reserved seats, no blankets etc. I’m used to flying Ryanair and will use that as my template but would appreciate any tips on Norwegian and associated travel details. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

mollymac57 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m flying Norwegian to Boston next week for the first time. I’d like to know the Do’s and Dont’s of flying with them. I’ve booked basic tickets ie: no food, no reserved seats, no blankets etc. I’m used to flying Ryanair and will use that as my template but would appreciate any tips on Norwegian and associated travel details. Thanks
    The good thing about Norwegian is you can book a meal but just for one flight, the outbound is when most people are hungry as it’s a day flight but the return you’ll probably want to just sleep. I’d kind of recommend getting a meal for your outbound, I noticed a lot of people who hadn’t booked meals asking the crew if they can now buy one on the flight and the answer is no. I think the smell of food cooking in the cabin makes people hungry! And the food you can bring yourself through pre-clearance is very restrictive.

Thanks Locker10a. Heard food on board is pricey and typically plane food. What kind of your own food can you bring on board? I usually bring a sambo and some fruit on Ryanair

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Thanks Locker10a. Heard food on board is pricey and typically plane food. What kind of your own food can you bring on board? I usually bring a sambo and some fruit on Ryanair
    The US do not allow any meat, dairy, fruits etc through pre-clearance. I’ve seen people stopped and asked what flavour noodles they have, sweet and sour being allowed, chicken being confiscated. They can be quite strict.

Speaking as someone who flew a lot of miles transatlantic, I'd recommend doubling down on food. Its a little different from a 2 hour Ryanair hop and you are also landed in the boons of the US with another hour or so ahead of you when you land.

Cheers Ironclaw. Will bulk up on cals for the trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Heading to New York tomorrow with Norwegian DUB-SWF.
    I'll let yous know how I get on, Being my first time flying outside of Europe I've no experience flying long haul on the usual setup so it'll be a non biased view on cheap transatlantic travel.

Advertisement