Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air International discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Blut2

ironclaw wrote: »
    Flew Air Transat to Cancun last week out of YYZ, couldn't fault them in any regards.

Air Canada, hit and miss but at least their rewards program works and they are part of Star Alliance. Their international lounge in YYZ is one of the best I've visited. My status is via LH but they've upgraded me on a number of occasions.

I used be a huge advocate of Aer Lingus but have become a huge detractor as they show little regard for customer service, don't seem to care about business or repeat travellers and Aer Club is a joke. Begs the question why one would pay a premium to fly with them really. I'd rather pay the little more at fly BA or LH, or just take a cheap seat and save some money. They've complete lost their market positioning, they are neither premium or budget, they're just awful.

EI's business class actual product is at least on par with the major US carriers, in my experience. Who at this stage are their most realistic long-haul competitor. I wouldn't fault them at all on quality of in air/lounge service (at least when not comparing them to ME3/Asian carriers).

The complete lack of a functional frequent flyer program is absolutely bizarre though. It must be a fairly simple thing to get right - almost every other major long haul airline in the world I've ever flown on has one, that works. With the IAG takeover I hoped EI might at least just use BA's program fully. Which, while not perfect, would still have been a big step up from Gold Circle. But with Aer Club they've somehow managed to make things even worse... Its almost completely unreliable/unusable at this stage.

I was/still am an advocate of Aer Lingus for their other qualities. But I no longer myself, nor recommend others, fly business long haul with them because of Aer Club. Its far easier to rack up miles in any other airline's functional program.

I don't think Norwegian are in much of a position to benefit from business class travelers moving away from EI on North American flights, but I'd say AA/Delta/Air Canada stand to benefit nicely from it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Blut2 wrote: »
    The complete lack of a functional frequent flyer program is absolutely bizarre though. It must be a fairly simple thing to get right - almost every other major long haul airline in the world I've ever flown on has one, that works. With the IAG takeover I hoped EI might at least just use BA's program fully. Which, while not perfect, would still have been a big step up from Gold Circle. But with Aer Club they've somehow managed to make things even worse... Its almost completely unreliable/unusable at this stage.

I was/still am an advocate of Aer Lingus for their other qualities. But I no longer myself, nor recommend others, fly business long haul with them because of Aer Club. Its far easier to rack up miles in any other airline's functional program.
    As someone who worked for them in the early ‘00s I still hold a loyalty to EI. Back then GC had a bad rep. How they managed to make AerClub worse (or at least give that impression) is beyond comprehension.

I’m still in touch with a couple of frontline EI staff and in the last 2-3 years they have seen customer service being cut back in favor of “punctuality”, “cost efficiency”, “waste reduction for unused stock”, “guest choice” and “unbundled products”.
    The ones I know are dreading what next years “brand refresh” will do to the company they love working for.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The "waste reduction" for catering isn't even being done right

If they wanted to they could have ambient aseptic packaged stuff that is heated with the air ovens to replace much of the fresh menu. Stuff lasts days to weeks. Haven't even tried it. They probably still have fresh wastage in quiet periods; but they can't have a single sausage left in peak periods as they are usually out of food within five rows from each end...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

L1011 wrote: »

If they wanted to they could have ambient aseptic packaged stuff that is heated with the air ovens to replace much of the fresh menu. Stuff lasts days to weeks. Haven't even tried it. They probably still have fresh wastage in quiet periods; but they can't have a single sausage left in peak periods as they are usually out of food within five rows from each end...
    This is literally so dumb, it’s caused thousands upon thousands of lost revenue, when people get on a flight, they are hungry, they want food or a sandwich and are told it’s not available they simple learn to bring their own onboard the next time, so they will go to Costa, Boots, Pret, what ever food options are available in the terminal. It’s means the airline have essentially lost business and revenue and in the name of extremely poor waste management.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,455 ✭✭✭✭zell12

AerLingus-esque? Advert in today's Indo
    OCM4Gsc.jpg?1Vs. q4bSXQL.gif?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I wonder the waste reduction is the reason why I didnt get any breakfast on my last flight from EWR with EI they said they didnt have enough breakfast for everyone. I was fuming and I was in then 2nd row of the back cabin just behind the bulkhead. Was another 40 rows behind us. The staff claimed that EI assumed people would be sleeping.

At least with Norwegian if you order a meal they dont run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Tenger wrote: »
    I’m still in touch with a couple of frontline EI staff and in the last 2-3 years they have seen customer service being cut back in favor of “punctuality”, “cost efficiency”, “waste reduction for unused stock”, “guest choice” and “unbundled products”.
    The ones I know are dreading what next years “brand refresh” will do to the company they love working for.

Honestly, Ryanair has now become my airline of choice for flights within Europe. I'd argue that Ryanair actually offers a better product to those who don't have AerClub status.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Having flown Ryanair on an almost weekly basis for the past year, Aer Lingus was a very nice change recently, a dream in comparison. No issues with the buy on board menu (there haven’t been any widespread issues since the initial introduction by the way) flights were ahead of schedule, comfortable, there was a relaxed atmosphere and crew were courteous and professional.

I don’t have any major issues with Ryanair, I quite happily use them but when you consider their erratic baggage policies, cancellation rate, punctuality issues, seating policy, the quality of their on board grub and their hit and miss crew I’d say it’s mad to suggest they offer a better product over Aer Lingus. This is especially true when fares are comparable.

But this thread is about Norwegian supposedly...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

jjbrien wrote: »

I wonder the waste reduction is the reason why I didnt get any breakfast on my last flight from EWR with EI they said they didnt have enough breakfast for everyone. I was fuming and I was in then 2nd row of the back cabin just behind the bulkhead. Was another 40 rows behind us. The staff claimed that EI assumed people would be sleeping.

At least with Norwegian if you order a meal they dont run out.

Yeah that’s the type of crap the crew have to put up with, but it’s not just at EI, a friend who worked at BA said on some late night transatlantic US-LHR bound flights, in Business class, BA would cater for 20% of the passengers as the rest would be sleeping, these are people who pay thousands of pounds for their tickets.

Norwegian may have your ordered food but they do the same crap with the buy on board sometimes loading 20-25 buy on board sandwiches for a transatlantic flight

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I do like that Norwegian advert posted above, very clever.

But as mentioned above lets try to stick (mostly) on topic! 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Cork traffic numbers make clear why Norwegian pulled Boston route (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/cork-traffic-numbers-make-clear-why-norwegian-pulled-boston-route-1.3554072

Some clues as to why Norwegian pulled the Cork Providence route for this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭zone 1

longer runway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

ongarboy wrote: »
    Cork traffic numbers make clear why Norwegian pulled Boston route (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/cork-traffic-numbers-make-clear-why-norwegian-pulled-boston-route-1.3554072

Some clues as to why Norwegian pulled the Cork Providence route for this winter.
    I have no problem with their pulling the winter flights, even EI have done from SNN in the past. As for a longer runway forget it. The motorway to Limerick will be built by then so there won't be a need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

ongarboy wrote: »

At the time it was launched people were told "use it or lose it". Looks like that's what's happening.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Norwegian had all the support in the world, a very public campaign to get an operating license, political backing, local business backing on both sides of the Atlantic, rock bottom fares, reportedly excellent service and brand new jets but they still struggle with half full aircraft and trashed yield.

They’ve turned their attention to Dublin, as expected, in an attempt to claw at some market share and maybe even a profit but I’m guessing Dublin is the best of a bad lot for Norwegian in Ireland. The business model is flawed, chasing the lowest yield, from secondary airports on long haul is a recipe for disaster.

Norwegian believes more passengers = success but they may soon discover a lesson in boom and bust.

MOL was right there going bang

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭john boye

Oil hit $75 a barrel the other day for the first time in 4 years the other day. If it keeps going the way it has been then it will hurt these ULC LH carriers worse.

Norwegian will be bought before they go bang.......just.

In terms of Cork and Norwegian, you can lead a horse to water but if it doesn’t drink well it’ll die. There’ll likely be the usual excuses about not going to a main airport or not having all in fares yada yada. Personally I think most people wanted the prestige of the service rather than they would actually use it as shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Shn99 wrote: »

Same info but they have interpreted and stated that Norwegian will shift the route elsewhere which hasn’t been stated anywhere else but that magazine.

• Advertisement

well thats that for TA from cork ....maybe if runway gets upgrade in 20 or so years it might be back.

Airways mag article has been withdrawn and author apologised on twitter for making the unfounded leap from info(facts) to last paragraph supposition about it being shutdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 nkfox

I am looking to purchase a flight on Norwegian in April to Stewart as its convenient for my trip. However they are not taking any booking beyond the end of March.

Has the route been dropped?

nkfox wrote: »
    I am looking to purchase a flight on Norwegian in April to Stewart as its convenient for my trip. However they are not taking any booking beyond the end of March.

Has the route been dropped?

They probably haven't finalised their summer schedule yet, April falls in the airline summer season and an airline like Norwegian may not want to commit themselves this far ahead.

I was going to use Aer Lingus as an example but all their transatlantic routes appear bookable well into the summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 nkfox

Thanks for the reply. I will wait and see what happens over the next few months.

Nice to see a profit posted, especially when a loss was expected but while it makes a good headline, the underlining story is still one of a loss.

Yield was down -10% and unit revenue was down -11% in the second quarter. Much like profits in previous quarters, none of it has come from the operational airline business which still appears loss making with costs higher than revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Didnt Leo V come back on Norwegian last week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I want to raise a point, I listened to a podcast from norwegian, talking about how they choose routes, obviously they go for those with the best returns. So Id like them to explain to me, how operating a Dublin to Vegas route, which would be closer to any of the other european airports they fly too and has no competition, has larger passenger numbers than those airports and belfast is up the road, isnt on their radar?

They couldnt even tax off a MTOW in vegas a year or two back , frequently, when the temperature hit 40 degrees. As they use the max seat count the planes can take.

I am meant to believe that there is bigger demand to go there from copenhagen, stockholm and oslo?!

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2016/11/17/too-hot-fly-norwegian-air-suspends-summer-las-vegas-flights/94025902/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think the answers staring you in the face and you're too in love with the potential for the route to know it. No disrespect, but you'd of course have a natural bias at least.

Honestly, it's been brought up so many times before, I don't know if you expect a different answer this time, or you're trying to wind people up.

Advertisement