Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Thanks - we spotted a house close to Clonown Road and thought it looked cheap for what it was. I guess the risk of flooding is the reason it is so cheap!

Shopping for home insurance recently I was asked if the house is within 100 meters of a river/lake, and at least one firm would not quote at all if the answer was Yes.

Shopping for home insurance recently I was asked if the house is within 100 meters of a river/lake, and at least one firm would not quote at all if the answer was Yes.
    That's just laziness by the insurance companies, if they checked to postcode against any of the flood maps, they'll soon be able to assess flood risk.
    100 metres from a river is meaningless if you don't take elevation above said body of water into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I was refused insurance for a 4th floor apartment in Athlone previously. Said it was a flood risk. Told them I was 4 floors up, and they say there's a subsidence risk :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Look here http://www.floodinfo.ie/ for the flood maps.

There looks to be lots of areas missing off that map. Do you reckon if you flagged flood areas near your house would insurance companies look at this website and then refuse to cover you?

There looks to be lots of areas missing off that map. Do you reckon if you flagged flood areas near your house would insurance companies look at this website and then refuse to cover you?
    Possibly, but I do know that the old floodmap was far better at showing the extent of historical floods.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I was refused insurance for a 4th floor apartment in Athlone previously. Said it was a flood risk. Told them I was 4 floors up, and they say there's a subsidence risk :rolleyes:

Subsidence would be covered by the block policy. What were you trying to insure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

i've noticed in the past that when I enter like for like details and just change my house address on the online quotes that the westmeath side of Athlone carries a slightly lower premium. same for car insurance.

pawrick wrote: »
    i've noticed in the past that when I enter like for like details and just change my house address on the online quotes that the westmeath side of Athlone carries a slightly lower premium. same for car insurance.

Westmeath is on both sides of Athlone. Do you mean the Leinster side?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Westmeath is on both sides of Athlone. Do you mean the Leinster side?

Some of Athlone is in Westmeath, some of it is in Roscommon.

Who said it isn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

Who said it isn't?

It is the logical inference from your reply above.

It is the logical inference from your reply above.

It is not the logical inference. Athlone has two sides. East and West. The Shannon is the dividing line. Westmeath straddles both east and West. It is thus not correct to talk about the Westmeath side. The usual reference is to the Leinster side, since Leinster stops at the Shannon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Used to live in Athlone back in the '90s.
    Worked in Elan.

Sean's bar was a nice spot.
    Bozos is hardly still going, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Some of Westmeath is west of the Shannon. The castle and Luan gallery for example are owned and operated by Westmeath county council. The boundary of Westmeath extends across the Shannon on a triangle from South and North of town and meets at about shines pub.

Some of Westmeath is west of the Shannon. The castle and Luan gallery for example are owned and operated by Westmeath county council. The boundary of Westmeath extends across the Shannon on a triangle from South and North of town and meets at about shines pub.

Which is why people refer to the Leinster side and the Connaught side, not the Westmeath side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Used to live in Athlone back in the '90s.
    Worked in Elan.

Sean's bar was a nice spot.
    Bozos is hardly still going, is it?

Bozo's is still there, albeit under a different guise, is it called Q or something? The top floor has been redone as a late bar and the rest of the nightclub is linked to it but the middle and bottom floors are still largely the same.

Which is why people refer to the Leinster side and the Connaught side, not the Westmeath side.

Exactly. Because weirdly enough the provincial border is the middle river/lake meaning a (tiny) part of Westmeath is actually in Connacht.

Exactly. Because weirdly enough the provincial border is the middle river/lake meaning a (tiny) part of Westmeath is actually in Connacht.

It is because of the Local Government (Ireland) Act of 1898. The provinces are an Irish creation. The counties are an english creation, hence the discrepancy.

There is Athlone. Which is anything east of the Shannon. Then west of the Shannon there is the "far side".

The Far side is a strange place. It's where people sleep with their cousins and sheep. Wear hidious yellow and blue uniforms and sing obnoxious songs like wagon wheel a number of times a night. They also have a tendency to be negative and sneery, with a false sense of their own importance.

There is Athlone. Which is anything east of the Shannon. Then west of the Shannon there is the "far side".

The Far side is a strange place. It's where people sleep with their cousins and sheep. Wear hidious yellow and blue uniforms and sing obnoxious songs like wagon wheel a number of times a night. They also have a tendency to be negative and sneery, with a false sense of their own importance.

Most of the people who live on "the far side" wear maroon jerseys.

• Advertisement

I don't know about Brexit and fears of a hard border, but it's clear there's a hard "cultural" border down the middle of the Shannon! :P

I don't know about Brexit and fears of a hard border, but it's clear there's a hard "cultural" border down the middle of the Shannon! :P

Rosexit!

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

And have Donna and Joe McCaul posters on there wall.

Actually, are they not west of the shannon aswell? Fierce confusing altogether :p

Blanco100 wrote: »
    And have Donna and Joe McCaul posters on there wall.

Actually, are they not west of the shannon aswell? Fierce confusing altogether :p

Nope. They're from east of the Shannon, just.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Nope. They're from east of the Shannon, just.

And the east side can have them, though I believe Donna is living out in the US for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

This is starting to read like an Ali G sketch, west bank (but technically on the east bank) posse represent!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

e37321a724f82ac600939b9054df55a7d40668d76f3c4cf4d163be552d5ce4f5.jpg

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    e37321a724f82ac600939b9054df55a7d40668d76f3c4cf4d163be552d5ce4f5.jpg

Eastside has a KFC where you knock your Julie up in the bogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Galway doesn't reach that far east. Doesn't touch the Shannon until south of Shannonbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Most of the Westmeath heads living in the part of town west of the Shannon wouldn't know a Gaelic football if it hit them in the face.

Advertisement