Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Entered both ballots, fingers crossed!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Elias79

Entered the ballot today for the 1st time, I'm not holding out much hope but sure why not....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

Threw my name in to the overseas ballot earlier but still haven't got a confirmation email, I definitely got one last year. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I also entered via the overseas Ballot, I got the email straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

ooter wrote: »
    Threw my name in to the overseas ballot earlier but still haven't got a confirmation email, I definitely got one last year. ??

I got one this year, check the email address in case you left something out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

positron wrote: »
    chinguetti wrote: »
    5th year doing the overseas ballot and they never ask for payment, just details for now and you worry about paying in October if you get it.

How many times did you win of these five entries?

Joined overseas ballot myself, I know odds are poor but.. would be thrilled if it comes thru.
    Considering it's around 1 in 16 through the UK ballot I don't even want to think of how long the odds are in the international one!

1 from 6 attempts in UK ballot here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

386,050 entered the UK ballot this year, which is significantly up on the 250k ish the had last year.

No sign of the current running boom fading away just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Jfrost

In the International draw but far from holding breath.
    They asked for best time and expected times....does either have a say I the chance you name will be drawn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

robinph wrote: »
    386,050 entered the UK ballot this year, which is significantly up on the 250k ish the had last year.

No sign of the current running boom fading away just yet.

I reckon the coverage of the runner helping another across the line is responsible for a fair whack of that increase. 50% increase is nuts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Jfrost wrote: »
    In the International draw but far from holding breath.
    They asked for best time and expected times....does either have a say I the chance you name will be drawn?
    Probably, as they need to try not to have 40,000 people trying to get a 4hr finish time so I would expect them to weight things to keep the spread of times manageable. Without knowing what spread of times people submit though we'll never know what the best time to put down would be to increase your chances.

• Advertisement

Good For Age entry is now open. You have until 5pm on 23rd June to get your times submitted.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/

Ran another sub3 marathon yesterday to make up for my mild disaster at London 2017.

Fast GFA time submitted, confirmed, email received, payment made all less than 24 hours since I finished yesterday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Any tips on getting by the whole "not being a resident" thing?? :)

Any tips on getting by the whole "not being a resident" thing?? :)

Do you have an address that you can make use of in the UK from a relative or friend? The address verification just needs to be a scan of a utility bill or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Do you have an address that you can make use of in the UK from a relative or friend? The address verification just needs to be a scan of a utility bill or something similar.

Cheers, I've actually just remembered I'm doing Rome in April already!

2019 for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cearnaigh

Hi Folks - looking for some advice on here. If your GFA qualifying time (Link and Image) includes your running club along with 'Ireland' next to it, would it look bad on the application. I am Irish but UK resident (!) so have proof of address, age etc, just worried that fact I had my irish running club on my time will make them look at it ????? Or am i worrying about nothing - All advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I used the GFA letter from this years marathon and my application was accepted!

Saves an extra bit of work.

Regards Irish club showing on the results page, it won't be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

I registered for GFA entry last night.

Used the mobile phone and the website hung when i pressed submit. I got an email confirmation saying received a minute later but the paged refreshed on the browser. Hopefully it was ok. Anyone else have any issues with the application Page?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Has anybody managed to apply using parcel motel and got accepted? Would chance it if I knew what method was successful.

psychozeb wrote: »
    Has anybody managed to apply using parcel motel and got accepted? Would chance it if I knew what method was successful.

Doubt that will work.... do you not know anyone living in the uk??

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Doubt that will work.... do you not know anyone living in the uk??

I do but problem is a utility bill in my name.

There's a fairly easy way around that with a latpotp and a bit of imagination

Gavlor wrote: »
    There's a fairly easy way around that with a latpotp and a bit of imagination

Was thinking that alright

There's a shop that will photo that for you but I can't remember the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

ooter wrote: »
    There's a shop that will photo that for you but I can't remember the name of it.

Perhaps you should take a photo of the shop you have difficulty remembering !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

I've booked hotel at gatwick airport in case I get in through ballot. €105 for 2 nights with breakfast

Can get train into London for Marathon

colin32 wrote: »
    I've booked hotel at gatwick airport in case I get in through ballot. €105 for 2 nights with breakfast

Can get train into London for Marathon

That's a fair trek before the marathon, wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Edit: just checked, you have to get in to London Victoria before getting the marathon train to blackHeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

It's extortionate prices to stay in London for Marathon. Some of cheaper hotels are kips

I've mentioned it in previous years but I stayed here before the marathon in 2016 and it was fine, tube station only down the road, not cheap but not ridiculously expensive compared to most other London hotels on marathon weekend.
    http://palmerslodges.com/swisscottage/hostel/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Ran another sub3 marathon yesterday to make up for my mild disaster at London 2017.

Fast GFA time submitted, confirmed, email received, payment made all less than 24 hours since I finished yesterday. :D

Are they normally that quick to respond? Anyone else apply and get a payment request. Just wondering when I should start ringing them lol

Advertisement