Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    So they basically charge 500 Euro for an entry.

Looks that way.. I'm sure it's convenient for anybody that does it. Takes all the stress of getting around out of the equation but I couldn't justify it. It's a family holiday when you think about it for 2 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I was starting to feel left out but my annual rejection email has finally arrived. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    So they basically charge 500 Euro for an entry.

Out of interest, they've obviously been allocated those places by the marathon organisers, why? Do they get some of that 500 pounds? I can understand the charity places but not sure of the logic behind the tour operator places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Out of interest, they've obviously been allocated those places by the marathon organisers, why? Do they get some of that 500 pounds? I can understand the charity places but not sure of the logic behind the tour operator places.

Yeah, I don’t know but you would imagine they get a higher fee and it also helps with the global appeal of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Elias79

I got the email this afternoon to say I was unsuccessful, I'll probably look at doing Manchester now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I note also from rejection email that those who donate their entry fee are also put into a separate ballot. Wasn't aware of that before now. Didn't make any difference to me this time. Guess it's like buying a second lottery ticket for same draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

RedRunner wrote: »
    I note also from rejection email that those who donate their entry fee are also put into a separate ballot. Wasn't aware of that before now.

Is that not just for the UK ballot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

ooter wrote: »
    Is that not just for the UK ballot?

Could be. I was in the UK ballot alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Might do Manchester instead!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That is around the same amount that we hear talk of the charities being charged for places though I think. Makes sense for it to be similar amounts. London Marathon don't really care as they are a charity themselves, who then redistribute that money back to other charities, but if they didn't charge the tour operators and the charities the same you would have some black market going on between them for places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

noelearly wrote: »
    Looks that way.. I'm sure it's convenient for anybody that does it. Takes all the stress of getting around out of the equation but I couldn't justify it. It's a family holiday when you think about it for 2 nights.

So if you were to enter this way, does anyone know how you would be allocated a starting pen/wave or do all charity runners start from the back?

TbL

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You're allocated a pen based on predicted time - most likely it will be asked for at some stage. I put down 4:30 and was in blue pen 8 of 9.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The charity runners all start from the Red start, just behind the fast GFA start. But they are still ordered based on predicted times which I guess the charity asks them at some point. I'm sure the ballot is weighted in some way to make sure they don't have everyone aiming for the same times, so not sure how they would deal with getting a spread of times from charity runners, or they just know from previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

robinph wrote: »
    The charity runners all start from the Red start, just behind the fast GFA start. But they are still ordered based on predicted times which I guess the charity asks them at some point. I'm sure the ballot is weighted in some way to make sure they don't have everyone aiming for the same times, so not sure how they would deal with getting a spread of times from charity runners, or they just know from previous years.

Very helpful thanks.

So in theory if you running as a charity entry and chasing a time you should not be caught up behind a load of "slower" runners?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I had the same question when I ran last year. I was entered as a charity runner and was in pen 7 at the red start. All went off really well until the race merge when the slower pacer from the blue start crossed us and we lost our red pacer, took three miles to catch back up. So just watch out for that.

AAD wrote: »
    I had the same question when I ran last year. I was entered as a charity runner and was in pen 7 at the red start. All went off really well until the race merge when the slower pacer from the blue start crossed us and we lost our red pacer, took three miles to catch back up. So just watch out for that.

Last year they held the Red start by at least two minutes after the Blue start. This meant everyone was a bit out of order at the 5km mark and you have 2:45 people getting held up behind fancy dress runners tied together in an inflatable canoe, fast fancy dress admittedly but still nowhere near that pace. I didn't pass the Blue 3hr pacers until mile 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

I got a rejection email last week. What is this talk of rejection vest? I applied for the international ballot.

I got a rejection email last week. What is this talk of rejection vest? I applied for the international ballot.
    If you pay in advance and select to donate your entry fee if you don't get a place then they send you a very nice running top. I don't think it is possible via the international ballot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

How that Dublin is done and dusted, attention turns to this.

Was always a massive target to get to London and on the back of a few very productive training blocks, I’m ready to tackle London.

The spring marathons offer different challenges in terms of training but none that can’t be overcome.

Everything booked as well at this stage and plan is to maintain a decent base and then hit a 16 week programme from xmas onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

bigslice wrote: »
    How that Dublin is done and dusted, attention turns to this.

Was always a massive target to get to London and on the back of a few very productive training blocks, I’m ready to tackle London.

The spring marathons offer different challenges in terms of training but none that can’t be overcome.

Everything booked as well at this stage and plan is to maintain a decent base and then hit a 16 week programme from xmas onwards.

That's my target to. Got arthroscope 18 days ago for radial meniscus tear. Won't have much of a base when starting a plan in January. Will be happy to run it, which means the surgery worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Im in. It will be my 4th time around and I cant wait. A truly amazing race.

Only problem is all of the training.😨

Yay for athletics club places. Now going to have to work on persuading grandparents to do some childminding around London in April. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hope everyone's training is going well :D:D

Just wondering which airport is the best? I flew into Gatwick in 2013 but can't remember if it was the correct airport or we could have chosen better...

Flying in friday and home Monday, big different in Aer lingus & Ryanair prices at the minute..

City if you can justify the expense - makes things easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Younganne wrote: »

Just wondering which airport is the best? I flew into Gatwick in 2013 but can't remember if it was the correct airport or we could have chosen better...

Flying in friday and home Monday, big different in Aer lingus & Ryanair prices at the minute..

We’re flying into stansted with Ryanair for €104 for the two of us. Not as handy as City but I reckon it’s the next best airport for the expo. Have to try and get a decent deal on a hotel soon, we did the strand palace last year which was brilliant location wise but hard to justify the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

Younganne wrote: »

For the marathon last year I flew in to and out of Gatwick and it was grand but I've used all the London airports over the years for other events (not running related) and you really can't go wrong with any of them so long as you're not in a mad rush, even Luton if you're stuck or it's the only cheap option.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Friday to Monday Via Stansted.

With a lot of the bus companies you can get an earlier bus then the one you booked if there is a seat available. If my flight is due to land at 9 I usually booked the 10am bus in advance for a cheap price. You can get a seat an hour +/- of your booking if available. It covers any slight delays to your own flight.you dont want to go aerobic when the plane lands trying to get to your bus before the big day :).

I'd normally squeeze into the train from Charring Cross at around about 8am'ish to head to Blackheath. Just curious if anyone on here has got on the stupid early'o'clock trains, and how early you'd need to be to get one that isn't left with hanging from the ceiling room only?

Not a major deal, but would rather not have to fit the toddlers buggy in the scrum to get on the train, or risk taking anyones ankles out with it, and just part of the negotiation of what time we need to pursuade minders to meet us at the start line for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I'm staying close to the finish line and flying in and out of heathrow. Anyone who may be going that route and is short on time, 90 day advance tickets on Heathrow express are significantly cheaper than booking on the day and will save a good amount of time vs tube.

I'll have plenty of questions as we get closer to the time but as we are closing in on the 90 days, thought I'd post if anyone interested

• Advertisement

Robin - 7:40 ish train for me this year was rammed, I pretty much had someone else's toddler in my lap! You'd want earlier than that.

Advertisement