Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casefile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just listened to the Sian Kingi one, damn its hard to listen to. What the hell is wrong with people?

Case 102: Britt Lapthorne

Every parent's nightmare - child disappears thousands of miles away from home.
    one of those cases with no resolution. Dubrovnik is a beautiful place but bad things can happen anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

Do all Australians pronounce it "hosTELL" or is it just the host? Bugged me!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

Lol. I don't thInk so ...
    What a cluster**** of a police enquiry

in my experience they do actually yes pronounce it that way in general from Australians that I've met travelling and staying in hostels!

does sound like the cops were not the best initially but most likely misadventure also I would say, notwithstanding the blue van stuff. the only thing that was not properly explained was the mobile phone call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

HosTELL... It's driving me bananas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

Anyone else noticed the vocal tick where he adds an 'ah' sound to words that end in D or P.

And-ah. Stop-ah.

You will now. You're welcome.

why was her body so badly decomposed??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have not noticed that, but one thing I have noted is the speech slowness compared to the earlier episodes. I now listen on x1.1 speed, as it just drags on standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

delly wrote: »
    I have not noticed that, but one thing I have noted is the speech slowness compared to the earlier episodes. I now listen on x1.1 speed, as it just drags on standard.

A few times i though a call was coming on my phone.... Next thing he'd start off talking again!

(spolier) how did her phone get back in her rucksack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

delly wrote: »

I usually listen to shows like Casefile at 1.5 or even 1.6 speed and find it easy to keep up. When I listen to it on normal speed he sounds to my ears like a man fighting back sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yeah they do!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Pidae.m wrote: »
    A few times i though a call was coming on my phone.... Next thing he'd start off talking again!

I'm not sure what podcast app you use but I use Podcast Addict that has a great "skip silence" feature which gets rid of annoying gaps in podcasts where no one is talking. Also saves a lot of time!

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what podcast app you use but I use Podcast Addict that has a great "skip silence" feature which gets rid of annoying gaps in podcasts where no one is talking. Also saves a lot of time!

Cheers I'm using pod bean

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I suspect foul play more so than misadventure. The police investigation stinks of a cover-up. The electrical issues with the CCTV. The phone call to the son of the hostel owner and the phone being found in the hostel. The reports of attempted abductions. The likelihood of her body being weighed down in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Oh I didn't know that. Will try it out.

I suspect foul play more so than misadventure. The police investigation stinks of a cover-up. The electrical issues with the CCTV. The phone call to the son of the hostel owner and the phone being found in the hostel. The reports of attempted abductions. The likelihood of her body being weighed down in the water.

she was also very drunk from accounts from fellow hosteLLers.

that night club is only 100m from the water and that bay where the body was found is very near (few 100 metres away)- body could have easily ended up there

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Night+Club+Fuego/@42.6419398,18.1009791,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x134c0b2d0e15d6d1:0xf3a07007fdae1e37!8m2!3d42.6419359!4d18.1053565

the phone thing is weird but most likely she just left it in the hosteLL. back ten years ago when phone service abroad was expensive you mightn't be inclined to bother bringing your phone out with you when going out for the night especially as they weren't going far.

overall we'll never know at this stage and it's obviously distressing for the parents who seem to want another explanation besides misadventure.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I thought he toxicology showed clear blood for drug and alcohol

pc7 wrote: »
    I thought he toxicology showed clear blood for drug and alcohol

yes but the body was found weeks later and badly decomposed - I'm not an expert but how can it be accurate in that state.

there were multiple reports of her being drunk afair
    Mr Barbalatt told The Australian via email that he had been out with Ms Lapthorne at the Dubrovnik nightclub on the night she went missing.

"Britt was among our group, which consisted of about 10 people, all of whom were staying at our hostel," he said. "Britt was very intoxicated with alcohol and at one point dropped a champagne glass on the floor on purpose and was kicked out of the club. Somehow she made it back inside the club after that incident."

I'm a bit behind, I've just finished the Beaumont Children. What a baffling case. So heartbreaking for the parents.
    I love Casefile, - no nonsense about it like a lot of the true crime podcasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I also use Podcast Addict, but the 1.1x feature seems to lower the volume so it can be quite hard to hear even at full whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

glasso wrote: »

Every parent's nightmare - child disappears thousands of miles away from home.
    one of those cases with no resolution. Dubrovnik is a beautiful place but bad things can happen anywhere.

this was a really good episode, struck a nerve with me having been to Dubrovnik myself on a backpacking trip a year prior to that incident. the poor family.

I listend To the Amy Lyn Bradley episode last night. Don't know how I missed it. Christ, it's horrific ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

inthehat wrote: »
    I'm a bit behind, I've just finished the Beaumont Children. What a baffling case. So heartbreaking for the parents.
    I love Casefile, - no nonsense about it like a lot of the true crime podcasts.

I just finished this one this morning too. Great episode but an absolute tragedy. My heart bleeds for the parents.
    They lost 3 children at once and their divorce years later is heard breaking. It seems though that the suspect revealed at the very end of the podcast who was living nearby is highly likely to have done it in my mind.

Also listened to Sian Kingi yesterday. Another tragic case but very well told by the case file team. I liked the continuity and the link albeit tiny to case 31.

The Britt Lapthorne case was interesting too. Lots of evidence to suggest a police cover up here but also maybe it is just misadventure. Seems unlikely though. Literally there is no real evidence of anything. The weird police behaviour could just be that. Weird Police behaviour.

I do find the unsolved cases quite satisfying to listen to. While terrible I like to think about them afterwards and wonder what could possibly really have happened. All in all the last 3 episodes have been excellent. Interesting cases, immaculately told. You cannot ask for more from a true crime podcast.

I still haven't listened to the toy box yet. Might stick it on tonight. Off work sick so just at home recovering. Listening to podcasts seems like a good thing to do.

I dunno how you guys can listen at 1.5 speed. I find the 1.0 speed perfect for story telling. Yes it is slower but you have more time to digest what is said. 1.5 sounds like a robot and ridiculous.

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    this was a really good episode, struck a nerve with me having been to Dubrovnik myself on a backpacking trip a year prior to that incident. the poor family.

yes was there myself, in 2004 I think. remember partying in that nightclub. It wasn't that great but was pretty much the only nightclub there at the time anyways. it's just outside the entrance to the old town/city area.

bobsman wrote: »
    I listend To the Amy Lyn Bradley episode last night. Don't know how I missed it. Christ, it's horrific ....
    One of the saddest. Something similar happened here 20 years ago. There is no peace for the family

Pidae.m wrote: »
    One of the saddest. Something similar happened here 20 years ago. There is no peace for the family

I was hoping that she had jumped or was pushed/fell over. Anything is better than the most likely horrific reality :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Just saw a headline on TV3 scrolling along the bottom of the screen. "AUSTRALIAN man charged with murder connected to the disappearance of his wife in 1982. Story was covered on a popular podcast."

Anyone know anything about that? Must be Casefile?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Just saw a headline on TV3 scrolling along the bottom of the screen. "AUSTRALIAN man charged with murder connected to the disappearance of his wife in 1982. Story was covered on a popular podcast."

It’s A Teacher’s Pet. Worth a listen.

• Advertisement

eoghan104 wrote: »

That's the teachers pet one I'd say

Advertisement