Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Doesn't matter how unique or rare or beautiful.If city hall thinks it is in the way,fk the heritage dept and conservation features,the wrecking balls will swing or the road will be built.Limerick is utterly horrible at this.I am old enough to rember 3 wanton acts of vandalism to the city of historic buildings.The house of Garryowen,on Sarsfield st,where the now dull defunct Dunnes stores is, that UL bought.Cruises hotel,demolished and ripped the central meeting point out of the centre.An ugly generic "High st"that could be anywhere in the UK replaced it.Building a hideous glass container in King Johns castle.Its so ugly that RTE and media reports on Limerick using the castle as a backdrop,deliberately avoid getting this in the picture.

Not everything should or can be preserved in Ireland.As some have said its a pity "Luftwaffe urban renewals" didnt make it to Ireland in 39to45,and this would be alot less of a problem for us. But there is a happy compromise of being able to keep old exteriors and modernise the interiors to a modern standard.Hells kitchen and the Bowery in NYC,were utter dumps up to the 90s.Now they are or were ,before covid,up and coming expensive neighbourhoods.The buildings still look decrepit on the outside,but inside....
    Why can this not be done in Dublin and Limerick or anywhere else?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Why we are such pendantic annoying AHs as gunowners ,in real life with people and in discussions and on Boards.😊
    Mr C Noir explains:
    url]https://youtu.be/CUG1fK46YzY/YOUTUBE[/url

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter how unique or rare or beautiful.If city hall thinks it is in the way,fk the heritage dept and conservation features,the wrecking balls will swing or the road will be built.Limerick is utterly horrible at this.I am old enough to rember 3 wanton acts of vandalism to the city of historic buildings.The house of Garryowen,on Sarsfield st,where the now dull defunct Dunnes stores is, that UL bought.Cruises hotel,demolished and ripped the central meeting point out of the centre.An ugly generic "High st"that could be anywhere in the UK replaced it.Building a hideous glass container in King Johns castle.Its so ugly that RTE and media reports on Limerick using the castle as a backdrop,deliberately avoid getting this in the picture.

Not everything should or can be preserved in Ireland.As some have said its a pity "Luftwaffe urban renewals" didnt make it to Ireland in 39to45,and this would be alot less of a problem for us. But there is a happy compromise of being able to keep old exteriors and modernise the interiors to a modern standard.Hells kitchen and the Bowery in NYC,were utter dumps up to the 90s.Now they are or were ,before covid,up and coming expensive neighbourhoods.The buildings still look decrepit on the outside,but inside....
    Why can this not be done in Dublin and Limerick or anywhere else?

Well that Flakturme (Flak-tower) council office that was built on Wood Quay in Dublin is a national disgrace. Hideously ugly brutalist concrete eyesore that it is. There was an element of Anti-Britishness when some of the Georgian houses around Dublin were demolished, the ones that went for the ESB offices for instance.

The luftwaffe ? They did less damage to cities like Coventry and Birmingham than did the architects, especially Coventry when they rebuilt them :eek:.

Right ,I'm just off to throw myself out the window after listening to that cheerful ditty.:rolleyes::eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Breaking news on TV, President Trump has the "Rona". So too does the first lady.

Going into lockdown and the campaign team going into tail spins. Talk about Biden possibly being infected from the debate as they don't know when Trump was infected.

People were making up scenarios where Biden would either get or fake getting Covid and pull out of the debates, but here it is with the shoe on the other foot.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cass wrote: »
    People were making up scenarios where Biden would either get or fake getting Covid and pull out of the debates, but here it is with the shoe on the other foot.

I wonder what his risk profile is like give his age, weight and health.

Breaking news on TV, President Trump has the "Rona". So too does the first lady.

Going into lockdown and the campaign team going into tail spins. Talk about Biden possibly being infected from the debate as they don't know when Trump was infected.

We live in a technological age, so surely the people taking part in debates don't actually have to be in the same building anymore.

Mellor wrote: »
    I wonder what his risk profile is like give his age, weight and health.

It wouldn't strike me as being good. I know a relatively young fit chap in Wales who has had it and he found it very hard going.

Seems to have been one of the personal assistants Katie Mller to Mike Pence who had caught it at one of the rallies.
    With all their yelling and shouting for an hour and a half...I wouldn't be surprised if dementia Joe has it now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

• Advertisement

Anyone on here gotten a stomacher of an electric bill recently ? I used very little electricity during the lockdown, only two of us in the house, and yet we've had a whopper of an electric bill :confused:

tudderone wrote: »
    Anyone on here gotten a stomacher of an electric bill recently ? I used very little electricity during the lockdown, only two of us in the house, and yet we've had a whopper of an electric bill :confused:

Is it an estimate or have you been getting estimates for ages and now got a bill based on a proper reading?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Is it an estimate or have you been getting estimates for ages and now got a bill based on a proper reading?

I have seen the meter reader going around and he was in our place recently and before that during the summer, the bills are not estimated, the meter was read.

I have seen the meter reader going around and he was in our place recently and before that during the summer, the bills are not estimated, the meter was read.

I don't have a bill to hand but I think there is an e after your current reading figure to indicate if it's an estimate or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

PSO Levy just increased from €34 to €88 per year and prices are being increased all round. If you are on "Fixed pay" direct debits (i.e. yearly cost averaged out so that your bills are all the same) they may have readjusted to include the rises over the next year

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

That green energy and saving the planet has to be paid for folks!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You can thank the PSO levy and standing charges that go into the pockets of wind developers building ugly white elephants over vast areas of rural Ireland. Another 150 euros a year to be added to that this winter to keep that racket going thanx to Eamon Ryan et al. I've noticed the same myself btw ie. using less and less power, but bill keeps going up. Folk need to wise up to the fact that this is a much bigger and more expensive government heist than water charges!!

That green energy and saving the planet has to be paid for folks!:rolleyes:

The goats milk latte sipping, Dublin 4/Clontarf/Montenotte dwelling, Guardian reading, prius driving, school teacher/college lecturers can pay for it.

This lot have a messiah complex, they are all "Saving the planet" :mad:.

All this so ff/fg can continue their stranglehold on this dismal country. One consolation is ryan and the rest of the melons will be history at the next elections.

Holy shtsnacks!!!

Could you ever get more patronising at all if possible??:mad:
    Don't talk to the boggers and ethnic minority with big words, as they are thick and dont know how to read ,write,post letters,and cant make a decent double decaff soy Machito and won't understand you,while you indoctrinate them with saving the planet nonsense.:rolleyes:
    Same trick Soviet political kommisars used to get Russian Kulacks into giving up their land, and moving a few thousand miles to labour camps in Siberia. Of course having whips and guns helped immensely,and no need to ask where the Watermelons stand on private gunownership.In Ireland or elsewhere.

Yeah,the reason you aren't making any headway in the country is you are utterly TOXIC to the countryside,and we havent forgotten your leaders "10 cars per 100 people in rural areas" idiocy,or your carbon tax on diesel,and now wanting to ban open fires of coal,turf,and wood.As well as your screwball,electric toy cars powerd by giant bird slicers all over the countryside.

Feck off now for yourself Sen Shortarse,and go pander to the weirdos,pot growers and women who knit undergarments out of their husbands organially grown beard hair who live out in the wilds who voted for you[Mostly European
    blow ins],and let the rest of us get on with our lives.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/greens-told-dont-use-big-words-in-seeking-rural-vote-39583943.html

"Open mouth wide, no wider, WIDER, come on, yes thats it. Now remove shoe and sock and insert oversized foot into oversized gob" !

Sweet Jesus, we had some right snakes, sleveens, village idiots, gangsters and down right plonkers running this unfortunate little island, but this lot take the cake, and by a wide margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Birdnuts wrote: »
    You can thank the PSO levy and standing charges that go into the pockets of wind developers building ugly white elephants over vast areas of rural Ireland. Another 150 euros a year to be added to that this winter to keep that racket going thanx to Eamon Ryan et al. I've noticed the same myself btw ie. using less and less power, but bill keeps going up. Folk need to wise up to the fact that this is a much bigger and more expensive government heist than water charges!!

Aye, think that muppet Ryan is still working whatever briefings he had last time he was in when subsidies for renewable's were the thing. Rest of the world has been removing subsidies for new renewable generation for the last few years.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Sweet Jesus, we had some right snakes, sleveens, village idiots, gangsters and down right plonkers running this unfortunate little island, but this lot take the cake, and by a wide margin.

"We have had mad kings and bad kings on the Iron throne.But we have never managed a mad bad king,until now."

Tyron Lannister to Geffory the Bastard,Game of Thrones

NPHET recommending level 5, as in full, lockdown for the entire country in a letter to Government tonight.

Watch this space i suppose.

On a side note, watching the Liverpool match, if they could do it in the uk RIGHT F**KING NOW, that'd be great and stop Villa from completely embarrassing the Pool. :rolleyes:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

NPHET recommending level 5, as in full, lockdown for the entire country in a letter to Government tonight.

Watch this space i suppose.

On a side note, watching the Liverpool match, if they could do it in the uk RIGHT F**KING NOW, that'd be great and stop Villa from completely embarrassing the Pool. :rolleyes:

Yeah - it kinda spoilt Man Us woes for me:(

I remember Liverpool having many "Hold my beer" moments in the Premier league and Champions league where they beat the record set by Man City the very next day. However to do a "hold my beer" when united lose by 5 in a 6-1 thumping by Spurs is not the kind of thing i'd expect. It was like watching the Liverpool of 2010. Adrian was a disgrace, as usual, Gomez should have been taken off after 20 minutes, the passing was poor, defence was relying on the "high line" which Villa sussed very quick, and with Villa finding the net with most shots it's easy to see how they could have won by 9 or even 10-2.

Villa, they were outstanding. Watkins is someone to watch, Grealish played a stormer, and the team looked more like Liverpool than Liverpool.

323 wrote: »
    Aye, think that muppet Ryan is still working whatever briefings he had last time he was in when subsidies for renewable's were the thing. Rest of the world has been removing subsidies for new renewable generation for the last few years.

I see in the paper ryan want the government to spend 1 million a day for a year on cycle lanes and cycling. Sure ignore them homeless and that sort of thing, so long as you can virtue signal on your over-priced push bike.

Another blast from the RTE archives.
    Great pity these gents weren't a bit more progressive in their outlook and have campaigned for a primitive weapons season, or handgun hunting , or that shotgun slugs would be legal for deer hunting too here.
    Little did they know that they would be handing up three years later their stalking rifles or buying .22/250 under Irelands gun grab of the Temp custody order of 1972,and Irish rifle both target and hunting would be in stasis for another 32 years.
    Moral.What you legislate or wish for today in legislation will echo down the decades.
    As Ben Franklin said "Those proposing laws should never think of the great boons and benefits it will bestow.But rather what great harm they may cause."
    A lesson not heeded by modern politicans at all.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0211/1028839-hunting-deer-in-wicklow/?fbclid=IwAR0VYzjyWFLcw0FCqOALzSA4lpRJ0o_X3dfq1SihWQ3cjaLuPuYwcld2p3c

Another blast from the RTE archives.
    Great pity these gents weren't a bit more progressive in their outlook and have campaigned for a primitive weapons season, or handgun hunting , or that shotgun slugs would be legal for deer hunting too here.
    Little did they know that they would be handing up three years later their stalking rifles or buying .22/250 under Irelands gun grab of the Temp custody order of 1972,and Irish rifle both target and hunting would be in stasis for another 32 years.
    Moral.What you legislate or wish for today in legislation will echo down the decades.
    As Ben Franklin said "Those proposing laws should never think of the great boons and benefits it will bestow.But rather what great harm they may cause."
    A lesson not heeded by modern politicans at all.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0211/1028839-hunting-deer-in-wicklow/?fbclid=IwAR0VYzjyWFLcw0FCqOALzSA4lpRJ0o_X3dfq1SihWQ3cjaLuPuYwcld2p3c

The order caused nothing but trouble for stalkers and other shooters, there were animal welfare issues, and it didn't do a thing to reduce the murder and mayhem in the north, not an iota.

I watched this last night, how refreshing to have a policeman who actually tells the truth, even, as he says himself, he will probably be in trouble for it.

• Advertisement

The budget has sent us a hike in carbon tax, probably courtesy of the melon party. This hike is going to go on rising every year until 2030 when it will be 100 quid a tonne. So if you like being warm at home, or getting anywhere beyond pushbike distance, prepare to get reamed.

Advertisement