Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Very dim light at the end of this tunnel.Apprently he killed the mountie,used her issued sidearms,uniform and the police car to go and commit this atrocity.Which is actually incredibly cunnng.A figure of trust shows up at your door and shoots you and your Fam.So how will a "sensible gun law" stop that from happening???

Ah yes, but to people like Trudope, Capitalism is evil, the west is evil, white people are evil and all guns are evil, there are no exceptions.

EDIT; And i was right, trudy plans to ban "Assault Rifles".

I see on the news today a complete fcuking eejit decided to let loose with a blank firing pistol from his rooftop balcony in Kent UK. Something tells me he will live to regret it.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/22/man-arrested-after-shots-apparently-fired-from-balcony-in-kent

I see the price of oil has gone negative, and the oil producers were actually paying outlets to take it off them. I wonder will we see the results in Ireland ? Go to full up the car or jeep and they pay you to take the petrol away ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

This is a problem alright.As everyone expects oil products to be used quickly,and now the demand has collapsed,and the refineries and storage space is full to the brim globally.
    Now if one was a smart bear and had a few bob.Be a great time to buy oli company and airline shares on a personal level,and on a country leadership level,an even smarter bear could secure a significant national reserve for a couple of Winters,while messing about with "Green energy" and listening to a 17yearold girls historinics.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Now if one was a smart bear and had a few bob.Be a great time to buy oli company and airline shares on a personal level...

Airline shares :eek:

Lots of potential if you like risk, but certainly wouldn't call it smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Good chance you could be buying shares in a company going out of existence.

Well obviously not every last cent you have in them.But those what do survive will skyrocket.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Well obviously not every last cent you have in them.But those what do survive will skyrocket.
    A lot of the airlines that survive will need bailouts to get there. Which means shareholders will lose a chunk of ownership.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Would someone please send this fool back and have him finish his leaving cert or something.

Our Minister for Health apologised for saying during a radio interview the day before that "there were 18 other viruses before Covid-19, and there has not been a vaccination found for any of them". Now you might think it's a bit harsh to criticise someone for making such a mistake, hell i even called it the Corvid virus once, but i'm not the Minister for health and not making policy based on not only the wrong information but utter s**t.

Its akin to the finance Minster "bicycle" O'Donoghue during a recent Dail question session saying he could not elaborate on the reason why Ireland is paying four (4) times as much for private hospital beds as the UK because he doesn't have the numbers, but even if he did he could not disclose them due to confidentiality deal with said hospitals. You know the same hospitals owned by the likes of Deni O'Brien, Larry Goodman, etc. and the same ones that one of the Chief Medical Doctors for the HSE said are unneeded and a waste of HALF A BILLION (€500,000,000) EURO.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/harris-apology-boo-boo-1004460

On a side note, there approx. 11 days left before article 18 of the Constitution seems to demand a second general election. Are we going to see a "Covid-19, emergency" Government being formed you know, for our own good.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Would someone please send this fool back and have him finish his leaving cert or something.

Our Minister for Health apologised for saying during a radio interview the day before that "there were 18 other viruses before Covid-19, and there has not been a vaccination found for any of them". Now you might think it's a bit harsh to criticise someone for making such a mistake, hell i even called it the Corvid virus once, but i'm not the Minister for health and not making policy based on not only the wrong information but utter s**t.

Its akin to the finance Minster "bicycle" O'Donoghue during a recent Dail question session saying he could not elaborate on the reason why Ireland is paying four (4) times as much for private hospital beds as the UK because he doesn't have the numbers, but even if he did he could not disclose them due to confidentiality deal with said hospitals. You know the same hospitals owned by the likes of Deni O'Brien, Larry Goodman, etc. and the same ones that one of the Chief Medical Doctors for the HSE said are unneeded and a waste of HALF A BILLION (€500,000,000) EURO.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/harris-apology-boo-boo-1004460

On a side note, there approx. 11 days left before article 18 of the Constitution seems to demand a second general election. Are we going to see a "Covid-19, emergency" Government being formed you know, for our own good.

Gangsterism combined with crass stupidity Cass, it'll never change.

• Advertisement

Jesus, i'm bored. So much time on my hands that stupid things are entering my head. Like how do Dragons blow out candles? Why does boiling water make pasta soft, but eggs hard? You know, serious stuff.

Then a film on TV. It is a comedy from 2006 called Idiocracy. Set 500 years in the future its about how stupid kept on breeding while smart people waited (too long according to the film) to have kids so the future is full of stupid people.

With schools closed and no sign of them opening i'm starting to think that maybe this is how it starts!
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Very dim light at the end of this tunnel.Apprently he killed the mountie,used her issued sidearms,uniform and the police car to go and commit this atrocity.Which is actually incredibly cunnng.A figure of trust shows up at your door and shoots you and your Fam.So how will a "sensible gun law" stop that from happening???

Don't ever know what to make of Stefan Molyneux, but he has apparently read extensively on the Nova Scotia massacre;

Says gunman used illegal unlicensed guns;
    was impersonating an RCMP officer from the start and had authentic uniform/ police cruiser clone;
    first burned own house down, went to ex-partner's house and shot her and boyfriend in front of 2 kids (who escaped);
    went to houses and shot people/burned houses;
    apparently already had uniform when he killed the female RCMP officer;
    RCMP sent Twitter/FB messages but did not use universal phone texts to alert public/did not say killer was impersonating RCMP officer during the 11 or 12-hour atrocity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnt36Hm8keI

I’ve no idea what he was tying to say there. Did he think the 19 was a sequential number?
    There’s been far more than 19 viruses without vaccines in the past.

Positions need to stop talking about vaccines. As clearly they aren’t reading the briefing notes.

Jesus, i'

Then a film on TV. It is a comedy from 2006 called Idiocracy. Set 500 years in the future its about how stupid kept on breeding while smart people waited (too long according to the film) to have kids so the future is full of stupid people.

With schools closed and no sign of them opening i'm starting to think that maybe this is how it starts!

Dont worry Cass,that was already noted back in the 1960s.The Twilight Zone actually did an episode on this as well,think it is even the same title and script .
    Even our friend Kurt Saxon,he of the infamous Poor Mans James Bond book titles,even mentioned it in one of his articles about the increased birth rate of idiots in the 1970s...Coming from a guy who managed to blow off most of his left hand while mixing an explosive compound for one of his bomb recipies...:rolleyes:
    But yes,the morons have been on the march for a long time aleady.

If we have "adults" doing stupid stuff like eating laundry detergent pods,or burning themselves on hot plates as some social media challenge..Maybe in the future those cutsie washing up detergent ad we see,with mum making sure the tamperproof lid is closed properly while the camera pans back t to show mum and a cute 3 year old.They should add some pimply faced, trying to grow a beard,backward wearing baseball cap,angstly texting ,mewling simpleton into pawing at the box trying to get a pod out,and add the voice over."Keeping ALL your little ones safe!":rolleyes:

It really is a sad state of affairs for us gunowners too,because if you have clods like that in the pouplation,would you want to entrust anything more leathl than a bx of crayons to them,not to mind potentially dangerous things like knives or guns?We could indeed be the penultimate generation of hunters and gunowners.:(

yubabill wrote: »
    Don't ever know what to make of Stefan Molyneux, but he has apparently read extensively on the Nova Scotia massacre;

Says gunman used illegal unlicensed guns;
    was impersonating an RCMP officer from the start and had authentic uniform/ police cruiser clone;
    first burned own house down, went to ex-partner's house and shot her and boyfriend in front of 2 kids (who escaped);
    went to houses and shot people/burned houses;
    apparently already had uniform when he killed the female RCMP officer;
    RCMP sent Twitter/FB messages but did not use universal phone texts to alert public/did not say killer was impersonating RCMP officer during the 11 or 12-hour atrocity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnt36Hm8keI

So again...MASSIVE police failures...Therefore we must ban a certain type of gun from civillian ownership!!
    Like that has worked so well in the UK Australia,NZ,the EU,and obviously that Canadian over 10 round mag ban worked incredibly well in these circumstances too.
    As did those strict backround checks,interviewing the spouse and family and workmates.After all,it was only in 2002 that he was banned from owning firearms!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

An article yesterday in the Indo about golf clubs wanting to have their restrictions lifted SAP as they are a non contact socially distancing sport,and will keep their 19th hole closed for the time being.

Were this the case,that means we could get the ranges open again just as quick.
    We dont have any bars that serve booze.
    We socially distance by default anyway when shooting.
    We are a non-contact sport.
    We dont have large groups of spectators, nor do we shoot in groups or teams that require personal contact.
    Only thing might be distance of travel.But then again,how far do you have to travel to a golf club too?

Thoughts?

An article yesterday in the Indo about golf clubs wanting to have their restrictions lifted SAP as they are a non contact socially distancing sport,and will keep their 19th hole closed for the time being.

Were this the case,that means we could get the ranges open again just as quick.
    We dont have any bars that serve booze.
    We socially distance by default anyway when shooting.
    We are a non-contact sport.
    We dont have large groups of spectators, nor do we shoot in groups or teams that require personal contact.
    Only thing might be distance of travel.But then again,how far do you have to travel to a golf club too?

Thoughts?

Shooting, golfing, fishing, tennis (singles), should all be permitted sports or forms of exercise. They are solo.

In australia, they've let most sports like that come back.

Californian ammo law overturned, you needed a background check to buy ammunition.

Mellor wrote: »
    Shooting, golfing, fishing, tennis (singles), should all be permitted sports or forms of exercise. They are solo.

In australia, they've let most sports like that come back.

But you are not permitted to travel more than 2k from your house, so the range could be open, but if are not within 2k you are screwed either way.

Is there a golf course within 2 klicks of most members houses around here too?

• Advertisement

It must be a difficult time for Fine Gael and Fianna Fail right now.

I don't mean the coronavirus (although that situation will soon wreak economic havoc when we leave the emergency phase).

What I mean is, their world and their world-view are collapsing around them.

Fg's situation is they have gone from the party of power to the third runner-up in Irish politics, but their bigger, globalist perspective is crumbling, as is Fianna Fail's equally globalist, but ever, ever so slightly more Left perspective on globalism.

Micheal Martin, in a speech on Brexit during Michel Barnier's visit to Dail 2017;

"Let there be no doubt about where Ireland stands.

We want nothing to do with a backward-looking idea of sovereignty.

We remain absolutely committed to the ideals of the European Union.

We see the Union for what it is – the most successful international organisation in world history."

https://www.fiannafail.ie/speech-by-ff-leader-micheal-martin-at-dail-seanad-session-with-michel-barnier/

But the EU was not there for Italy when it was most needed.

The internal EU borders are back in place.

EU countries are banning the export of PPE outside their internal borders.

If that's not nationalism, then what is?

The EU has failed in this crisis.

And we were all supposed to get PPE together, at the start of this - how did that go?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/13/uk-missed-three-chances-to-join-eu-scheme-to-bulk-buy-ppe

I've seen preliminary reports of Chinese factories -sent back to work but without purchase orders coming in - mysteriously going on fire and reports of growing unease among Chinese small business owners without customers.

We are going to see a very different world order after coronavirus - and as usual, Ireland is years behind the curve.

Apparently, Trudeau ordered two planes off to China for PPE and they came back empty, but he's still sucking Xi's toes.

I wrote this two months ago
    So its creepy uncle joe and Tsar bernie left.

Wonder how much the other got paid to drop out and how much it'll cost bernie to drop too.

Then roll on creepy uncle joe with killary as running mate.

Some conspiracy nuts say if he wins he'll step down within months citing health issues, killary takes the reigns and by default makes it to the oval office. Problem i see with that is joe won't win against trump. Neither will bernie but he won't be allowed to win the primaries. Way too far left.

So two weeks ago Bernie drops out
    By the way, did it escape everyone's attention that "comrade Bernie" dropped out of the race leaving only sleepy/creepy Uncle Joe?
    Now word is spreading from just conspiracy forums to actual "media" that the Tara Reade scandal is the excuse the DNC needs to get Joe kicked off the ticket at the convention and replaced before November 8th.

So stay tuned for part two of my original post.

It must be a difficult time for Fine Gael and Fianna Fail right now.

I don't mean the coronavirus (although that situation will soon wreak economic havoc when we leave the emergency phase).

What I mean is, their world and their world-view are collapsing around them.

Fg's situation is they have gone from the party of power to the third runner-up in Irish politics, but their bigger, globalist perspective is crumbling, as is Fianna Fail's equally globalist, but ever, ever so slightly more Left perspective on globalism.

Micheal Martin, in a speech on Brexit during Michel Barnier's visit to Dail 2017;

"Let there be no doubt about where Ireland stands.

We want nothing to do with a backward-looking idea of sovereignty.

We remain absolutely committed to the ideals of the European Union.

We see the Union for what it is – the most successful international organisation in world history."

https://www.fiannafail.ie/speech-by-ff-leader-micheal-martin-at-dail-seanad-session-with-michel-barnier/

But the EU was not there for Italy when it was most needed.

The internal EU borders are back in place.

EU countries are banning the export of PPE outside their internal borders.

If that's not nationalism, then what is?

The EU has failed in this crisis.

And we were all supposed to get PPE together, at the start of this - how did that go?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/13/uk-missed-three-chances-to-join-eu-scheme-to-bulk-buy-ppe

I've seen preliminary reports of Chinese factories -sent back to work but without purchase orders coming in - mysteriously going on fire and reports of growing unease among Chinese small business owners without customers.

We are going to see a very different world order after coronavirus - and as usual, Ireland is years behind the curve.

Apparently, Trudeau ordered two planes off to China for PPE and they came back empty, but he's still sucking Xi's toes.

When did you ever hear anything in the slightest bit negative or critical about the EU on Irish media, especially RTE (Blueshirt FM) ? To the Irish ruling "elite", the EU is the land of milk and honey. Its where incompetent and downright unpopular Irish former county councillors who got lucky enough to be voted to the dail, can go and claim 5k a month expenses (unvouched), 400 euro a day turning up at the commission/parliament money, massive salaries etc.

At the last election i collared any of the wallys calling canvassing and asked them about the soverignty quotes and most of them laughed it off or dismissed it, but they are globalists, they would be happy for the eu or un to run the show. But most Irish people don't seem to care.

The Italian situation is a real cat amongst the pigeons. They need a massive bailout, that it looks like they would never be able to repay. Who wants to buy Italian debt ? Will Hans and Fritz be happy if their income tax from working hard in the German car factory all day, be gathered up and sent to Italy or Spain (or here probably). Nope, and the likes of Merkel know it.

The EU was fine as a loose trading block, but this "ever closer union" crap, as pushed by Adolf Verhofstat turns me off.

Been seeing a lot of people citing percentages and "stats" about America and it's confirmed cases and death rate. Maybe i'm missing something, and this actually has feck all to do with the "Orange One" but how can you compare America to Germany. Or America to Italy. As i posted elsewhere here are some stats. Perhaps someone can check my numbers.
    • Population of America is 328,000,000
    • Population of Germany, France, Spain and Italy is 257,000,000. So add the UK to that and it's 323,000,000 which is close to the population of America.
    • Confirmed cases in Germany, Spain, France, Italy and he UK as of today stands at 847,000.
    • Confirmed cases in America as of today stands at 667,000
    • Deaths in Germany, France, Spain, Italy, and the UK stand at 98,092.
    • Deaths in America as of today stand at 53,298

Then a video showed how well Ireland was doing compared to America. Well lets forget for a moment that we are arresting our own citizens for traveling 2.1km from their homes, but allowing the free movement of other EU nationals and people from Northern Ireland to travel freely and look at the size comparison between Ireland the states.

Texas, just the one state, is almost 9 times the size of the country of Ireland. So take this on a "per head capita" basis.
    • Infection rate in Ireland, per head capita, based on confirmed cases is 0.4% Death rate at 0.02%.
    • Infection rate in America, per head capita, and based on confirmed cases is 0.21% and death rate is 0.015%.

Both lower. Same applies to France, Italy, Spain, UK, etc. Individually their infection rate is higher, percentage wise, than America or on a par even though, again individually, their populations are a fifth that of America. Taken as all five countries together the infection rate among all five is 0.27% and death rate is 0.0.31%. So 20-odd% higher than America for infection rate and almost double for death rate.

So what am i missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Been seeing a lot of people citing percentages and "stats" about America and it's confirmed cases and death rate. Maybe i'm missing something, and this actually has feck all to do with the "Orange One" but how can you compare America to Germany. Or America to Italy. As i posted elsewhere here are some stats. Perhaps someone can check my numbers.
    • Population of Germany, France, Spain and Italy is 257,000,000. So add the UK to that and it's 323,000,000 which is close to the population of America.
    • Confirmed cases in Germany, Spain, France, Italy and he UK as of today stands at 847,000.

Then a video showed how well Ireland was doing compared to America. Well lets forget for a moment that we are arresting our own citizens for traveling 2.1km from their homes, but allowing the free movement of other EU nationals and people from Northern Ireland to travel freely and look at the size comparison between Ireland the states.

Texas, just the one state, is almost 9 times the size of the country of Ireland. So take this on a "per head capita" basis.
    • Infection rate in Ireland, per head capita, based on confirmed cases is 0.4% Death rate at 0.02%.
    • Infection rate in America, per head capita, and based on confirmed cases is 0.21% and death rate is 0.015%.

Both lower. Same applies to France, Italy, Spain, UK, etc. Individually their infection rate is higher, percentage wise, than America or on a par even though, again individually, their populations are a fifth that of America. Taken as all five countries together the infection rate among all five is 0.27% and death rate is 0.0.31%. So 20-odd% higher than America for infection rate and almost double for death rate.

So what am i missing?

What you are missing Cass is that facts dont make good news and in a time of crisis like this whether we want to admit it or not we are always looking for someone doing worse than ourselves to make us go "ah sure look how F****d they are at least we're not them" every country is doing that in one way or another right now as are their respective news agencies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Rosahane

What you are missing Cass is that facts dont make good news and in a time of crisis like this whether we want to admit it or not we are always looking for someone doing worse than ourselves to make us go "ah sure look how F****d they are at least we're not them" every country is doing that in one way or another right now as are their respective news agencies :pac:

I think that the blatantly anti Trump bias of the Irish media is a factor. Anything to show him in a bad light.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Rosahane wrote: »
    I think that the blatantly anti Trump bias of the Irish media is a factor. Anything to show him in a bad light.

In fairness he provides plenty of ammo, he needs to stay out of the spotlight or at least try and stick to rehearsed speeches.

Despite him bringing the USA back to a good economy the media will hammer him every chance they get because the real wealthy people don't want him back for a second term.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

In fairness he provides plenty of ammo, he needs to stay out of the spotlight or at least try and stick to rehearsed speeches.
    100% This. ^
    Apparently he doesn’t like to be briefed and told way to say. Which makes sense, he often seems to be winging it up there.

Good example is the disinfectant injection nonsense he came out with. Media rightfully
    hammering him on that one, as it’s an “idea” a 6 year old would come up with. A tiny amount of prep and any advisor would have told him not to say that.
    Now he claims he was being sarcastic. :rolleyes:
    He clearly wasn’t obviously, and even if he was, it’s hardly the time or place for jokes. But that’s the madness of the situation. Claiming he wasn’t serious (as insane as that admission is) is seen as a better option than whatever he was actually thinking.

So what am i missing?

Good question.

"There are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics"

Just threw that in for fun.

The US is behind Europe in infections.

The testing is ad hoc in every country, so no-one knows the real number of infections, but probably everyone believes that the published figures under-estimate infections. By how much? No-one can tell.

Deaths are recorded differently in different places.

So really, we are just waving a stick at a guess as to what's happening.

Personally, I happen to support the lockdown approach even though I'm getting fed-up of it and I know it's going to demand a high economic price later and the ST mentions a gov't report today that predicts shocking social unrest scenarios here in the near future, as a result of the lockdown, lost businesses, jobs, insecurity, disrupted supplies etc., etc.

I also think the US is not handling the pandemic well and I think the number of new cases there has not stabilised yet.

And the real places at risk are poorer countries, where the virus could get out of control, but time will tell.

Time will tell with the US, I would think that it's too soon to make comparisons between the EU and US, but in the meantime it's perfectly valid to ask questions - it's just that no-one can give a definitive answer.

• Advertisement

I also think the US is not handling the pandemic well and I think the number of new cases there has not stabilised yet.
    Would that have anything to do with how the US is "set up"?

Instead of a centralised Government you have the Federal Government and then you have state "governments". Recently the press said President Trump did not close down the country quick enough and didn't act quick enough and then when he said about reopening the country the same press said he didn't have the authority to open each state as that was the job of the state Governors.

So which is it? With Ireland you have the Government. Could you imagine the local councils defying Government orders to lockdown, or open back up?
    And the real places at risk are poorer countries, where the virus could get out of control, but time will tell.
    Yeah, i was thinking about.

India has a very low infection/death rate despite having the second largest, and possibly one of the densest, populations in the world. Is this due to their good work or simply because they do not/cannot track the virus or deaths?

Watching an epidemiologist on SKY news yesterday and he was talking about Africa and how many countries have little to nothing in terms of specialised care facilities, ventilators, PPE, lockdown abilities, etc. Like with my opinion on India they don't have the ability to track the infection/death rate so numbers are either non existent or so unreliable as to be useless.

Advertisement