Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

tudderone wrote: »
    Well the Donald was acquitted, after all the heat and fury, he walked.

He can walk the walk but he's barred from twitter for life and the pain of not being able to talk the talk will do his nut in.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well the Donald was acquitted, after all the heat and fury, he walked.

No surprise. The system is set up so it’s very hard to have an impeached president convicted.
    2/1 majority means >1/3 of the GOP needs to turn on him. Very unlikely in such a partisan system.
    It’s good that it’s can’t be done lightly. But if the two party balance means it’s impossible then what’s the point.

Afaik, every impeached president who went to the senate was acquitted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mellor wrote: »
    Only two other, democratic, presidents were impeached. Johnson and Clinton.

In the senate it was believed that while they acted improperly their actions did not rise to the level of Treason, Bribery, High crimes and Misdemeanors.

Like Trump the case against Johnson was largely political. He acted improperly, true, and was impeached but some republicans sided with democrats and voted against removing him from office.

Its easy to impeach a president when you have the numbers in congress. It always makes me laugh when i think of the democrats criticizing senate republicans in Trump's first impeachment for voting against removing him and saying they voted along party lines when they done the very same thing to impeach him in congress.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

Cass wrote: »
    Only two other, democratic, presidents were impeached. Johnson and Clinton.

Don't forget Dick Nixon. ASAIK he was the only one who was expected to be removed from office but resigned and got pardoned by his successor.

Like Trump the case against Johnson was largely political. He acted improperly, true, and was impeached but some republicans sided with democrats and voted against removing him from office.
    Johnson scraped by on that one. It was 35-19, 36 votes needed to remove.
    All the more surprising when you consider the democrats were outnumbered 45-9.

• Advertisement

Don't forget Dick Nixon. ASAIK he was the only one who was expected to be removed from office but resigned and got pardoned by his successor.
    Nope.

Nixon was never impeached let alone removed from office. He did, as you said, resign before anything could happen which included impeachment because his own party told him he would lose the senate vote too.

However he was never impeached.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Johnson scraped by on that one. It was 35-19, 36 votes needed to remove.
    All the more surprising when you consider the democrats were outnumbered 45-9.

Yup.

As said above some republicans viewed it as a political issue. IOW they did not want Johnson in office and had it not been for Abe getting shot he may not have been, but they viewed the impeachment as enough and did not see the need for removal from office.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

No surprise. The system is set up so it’s very hard to have an impeached president convicted.
    2/1 majority means >1/3 of the GOP needs to turn on him. Very unlikely in such a partisan system.
    It’s good that it’s can’t be done lightly. But if the two-party balance means it’s impossible then what’s the point.

The point is,is to remove someone who is clearly a danger due to mental instability or becoming utterly autocratic or committing major criminal acts while in office by legal means of having his party and both houses turning against him without having to get physical.

Using it because your intern was under the oval office desk "smoking cigars"or trying to convict a private citizen, minus various important aspects of an impeachment, like the SCOTUS chief justice presiding, made this literally a "Trumped up" show court and waste of time and money, as well as now making Trump even stronger in his political base.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Of course the impeachment was a sham, both of them were. 19 minutes into his [Trump] Presidency a Washington Post article said its time to start impeachment.

If you need further proof this recent one was political look at the events of the last day. Democrat attorneys surprised not only Republicans but their own party members by saying they were going to call witnesses. Senator Ted Cruz [President 2024] made a statement to the press shortly after this was announced saying if they do that Republicans will also call witnesses starting with Pelosi and the first question he'll ask is what prior knowledge she had on the planned protest, what security measures she took or did not as the case may be, etc. The next witness will be Schumer and it'll from there with over, according Cruz, 100 witnesses to be called.

Within hours the Democrats reversed their call for witnesses and it went to a vote.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The point is,is to remove someone who is clearly a danger due to mental instability or becoming utterly autocratic or committing major criminal acts while in office by legal means of having his party and both houses turning against him without having to get physical.
    If the POTUS goes rogue, then it's going to be an easy both party conviction.

But the issue is that then it's a matter of genuinely and marginally illegal/unconstitutional actions in office. The POTUS would likely have some sort of backing from the party rather than being rogue operator. It's starts to become a mess then. But by the character assassination stuff is a shiitshow.
    Using it because your intern was under the oval office desk "smoking cigars"

But it was the oval office affair, it was the fact is lied about it...;););)

• Advertisement

I see Parler are back up and running.

This cancel culture is going to come around bite people on the ass. They cancelled Gina Carano for a tweet but left another actor that wrote the same type of thing in because he was the star. She got fired, but now has signed up to another project with a conservative based firm.

People are tired of the cancel culture and as i said at the beginning it'll come back to bite those that support it in the ass because not a day goes by when something else becomes "offensive". Not that its needed as they'll [the cancel mob] search for older tweets/comments to find a reason to cancel someone they don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I see Parler are back up and running.

This cancel culture is going to come around bite people on the ass. They cancelled Gina Carano for a tweet but left another actor that wrote the same type of thing in because he was the star. She got fired, but now has signed up to another project with a conservative based firm.

People are tired of the cancel culture and as i said at the beginning it'll come back to bite those that support it in the ass because not a day goes by when something else becomes "offensive". Not that its needed as they'll [the cancel mob] search for older tweets/comments to find a reason to cancel someone they don't like.

Its a childish mindset. Basically saying that you are so thin skinned, you cannot bear to hear something you disagree with. What gets up my nose now, is even things i like, like "Dads Army", now come with stupid warnings at the start about discriminatory language. How soft would you have to be to be upset by an actor saying "Fuzzy wuzzies" or calling the Germans "Huns". Its pathetic.

The scary part are the real world effects it causes. I'm not talking about celebs being cancelled because frankly i couldn't give a Rat's ass, but in terms of things like education. Some Teachers and schools are now not teaching about WW1/2, the holocaust, and anything else that may cause offense.

Just the other day a teachers union, again in the "good old US of A" said they want to teach different Math because Math as it is, is racist. Students should be told there can be more than one answer and not told they're wrong.

I said, mockingly, about 6 months ago that it reminded me of the film Idiocracy, but its getting scarily like it and fast.

Who was the other actor?

Gina Carano wasn't a victim of cancel culture. She wasn't victim of being an idiot. Somehow people still don't understand that free speech doesn't mean speech without consequence.
    Unfortunately million dollar contracts have strings attached.
    If she is entitled to have whatever views she wants. Then so is her boss.
    Its a childish mindset. Basically saying that you are so thin skinned, you cannot bear to hear something you disagree with.
    That is often the case. But I don't think it remotely applies here.

She had been consistently posting racist, antisemitic memes and lots of Qanon stuff.
    She's entitled to do that, I guess.

But she was also the star of a massive, PG rated series on Disney+. And executives at LucasArts has repeatedly warned her about the negative attention she was drawing. She apparently would have been fired ages ago but Jon Favreau backed her - on her position, not the antisemitic stuff, he's jewish. But she insisted on continuing with it and got fired. Her actions, her fault, imo.

I don't think the people hounding her to include some pronouns were in the right either btw. But they are faceless nobodies. She should have ignored them and got on with her life and collected those million dollar cheques. But as you put it, she couldn't bear to hear something she disagree with.

She had been consistently posting racist, antisemitic memes and lots of Qanon stuff.

But she was also the star of a massive, PG rated series on Disney+. And executives at LucasArts has repeatedly warned her about the negative attention she was drawing. She apparently would have been fired ages ago but Jon Favreau backed her - on her position, not the antisemitic stuff, he's jewish. But she insisted on continuing with it and got fired. Her actions, her fault, imo.

I don't think the people hounding her to include some pronouns were in the right either btw. But they are faceless nobodies. She should have ignored them and got on with her life and collected those million dollar cheques. But as you put it, she couldn't bear to hear something she disagree with.

Sorry Mellor, but i was speaking generally. I don't know anything about that actress or the film or series or whatever it is.

Just the other day a teachers union, again in the "good old US of A" said they want to teach different Math because Math as it is, is racist. Students should be told there can be more than one answer and not told they're wrong.

I said, mockingly, about 6 months ago that it reminded me of the film Idiocracy, but its getting scarily like it and fast.

Between that and common core math which will be really interesting when it gets to algebra or calculus and the first by "common core maths" bridge is built.:p
    The US education system is indoctrinating generations of utter morons and If I did have kids over there I'd be homeschooling or selling my ass on a street corner to get them into private schools, it's that bad.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Who was the other actor?
    Pedro Pascal, apparently.
    Gina Carano wasn't a victim of cancel culture.
    She was fired for speaking her mind and because the opinions were not that of the "mob" she was axed.
    She wasn't victim of being an idiot.
    Agreed, i think.
    Somehow people still don't understand that free speech doesn't mean speech without consequence.
    Its meant to. Free speech is unlimited speech even if you dislike or hate that speech.
    If she is entitled to have whatever views she wants. Then so is her boss.
    True, but to fire someone because they disagree politically even though those views do not affect your work is cancel culture.
    She wrote:

"Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…. even by children.

Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews
    "
    That quote above is the tweet that got her fired so explain to me how is that anti-Semitic? As for the others i'm not on twitter so did not see them.
    Much in the same way Nick Cannon called all white people savages and went on an anti-semitic rant and he was given his job back.
    But she was also the star of a massive, PG rated series on Disney+. And executives at LucasArts has repeatedly warned her about the negative attention she was drawing. She apparently would have been fired ages ago but
    Heard that too.
    Jon Favreau backed her - on her position, not the antisemitic stuff, he's jewish. But she insisted on continuing with it and got fired. Her actions, her fault, imo.
    Now she is gone to work for Ben Shapiro who is also Jewish so i'd question the validity of the claim she is anti-semitic.
    The point i was making was not based solely on her.

Anything that is not liked or does not conform to the far lefts views is attacked and immediately targeted by the cancel culture. It doesn't just refer to tv shows but to people's jobs, lives and family.

Look at how many products have been targeted because someone took offense to the logo. The MyPillow guy and his company. Tim Allen's tv show was also cancelled because of his political view point even though it was the highest or second highest rated show in its timeslot. Professors at schools and universities are targeted if they hold conservative view points or simply different ones and their job is then put in jeopardy.

Its a childish mindset. Basically saying that you are so thin skinned, you cannot bear to hear something you disagree with. What gets up my nose now, is even things i like, like "Dads Army", now come with stupid warnings at the start about discriminatory language. How soft would you have to be to be upset by an actor saying "Fuzzy wuzzies" or calling the Germans "Huns". Its pathetic.

And let's not forget "The Germans" episode of Fawlty Towers coming with Xnumber of BBC warnings.
    Not because of John Cleese's masterpiece finale...[Yes even some of us Krauts find it hilarious.:D],but because of the doddery old Majors comments on the West Indian cricket team! So fine to take the pss out of Germans but not the W Indians.Selective offendnedess.:rolleyes:

God knows what "Allo Allo!" will be like in a few years? Brits lampooning French, Germans and Italians and fellow Brits. Along with sexism, misogyny, lampooning gays,and kinky sex practisers[Wet celery and flying helmets anyone?:D] And no native colourd French people either.

Between that and morons bewailing that there were no strong female characters or black characters in the film "Dunkirk" Like they were as common as anything in the British army in 1940.:rolleyes:
    Or now that "shield maidens" were an everyday occurrence on Viking raiding parties and in everyday Viking life courtesy of "Vikings".

Best thing you can really do these days is cancel your TV subscriptions and switch off the family stupidifier in the living room.You and your kids will feel all the better for it in the long run.

Now she is gone to work for Ben Shapiro who is also Jewish so i'd question the validity of the claim she is anti-semitic.

BTW,if you get a chance check out Ben Sharpios venture into film making...

"Run , Hide, Fight!" About a fictitious school shooting/hostage-taking situation, but for once with people who actually have professional knowledge of these situations as advisors and people who actually handle guns professionally.No preachy woke messages,a strong female character, but as flawed as a broken biscuit and unlikeable as well.
    This is going to be the answer along with the Russian and Chinese churning out better action films,[once you chop out the propaganda] with better scripts and characters than Hollywood relying totally on CGI and brand names and remakes.

And let's not forget "The Germans" episode of Fawlty Towers coming with Xnumber of BBC warnings.
    Not because of John Cleese's masterpiece finale...[Yes even some of us Krauts find it hilarious.:D],but because of the doddery old Majors comments on the West Indian cricket team! So fine to take the pss out of Germans but not the W Indians.Selective offendnedess.:rolleyes:

God knows what "Allo Allo!" will be like in a few years? Brits lampooning French, Germans and Italians and fellow Brits. Along with sexism, misogyny, lampooning gays,and kinky sex practisers[Wet celery and flying helmets anyone?:D] And no native colourd French people either.

Between that and morons bewailing that there were no strong female characters or black characters in the film "Dunkirk" Like they were as common as anything in the British army in 1940.:rolleyes:
    Or now that "shield maidens" were an everyday occurrence on Viking raiding parties and in everyday Viking life courtesy of "Vikings".

Best thing you can really do these days is cancel your TV subscriptions and switch off the family stupidifier in the living room.You and your kids will feel all the better for it in the long run.

You forgot "It ain't half hot mum" :D. But the UK telly used to be the best in the world, Brideshead revisited, The singing detective, The boys from the blackstuff, Smileys people, I Claudius, Tinker tailor soldier spy, etc etc and doc's like The peoples century (never repeated for some curious reason), The war game, Death on the rock, Blue planet, the truely excellent The World at War, etc. Now they make rubbish mainly.

Sir Patrick Moore said

“The trouble is that the BBC now is run by women and it shows: soap operas, cooking, quizzes, kitchen-sink plays,” he told the Radio Times. “You wouldn’t have had that in the golden days.”

• Advertisement

BTW,if you get a chance check out Ben Sharpios venture into film making...
    Seen that. Its why i asked about her being anti-semitic and working for a Jew with a strong sense of faith.

This is going to be the answer along with the Russian and Chinese churning out better action films,.[/QUOTE]
    The Russians have turned out a lot of sci-fi films in the last 2 to 3 years. Most are watchable and some are even good.

Sorry Mellor, but i was speaking generally. I don't know anything about that actress or the film or series or whatever it is.
    Yeah, I figured. As I said it’s often the case. But not here.
    Pedro Pascal, apparently.

I know you are just repeating somebody else’s words. But that’s completely untrue.
    Pedro hasn’t posted any of that crap.
    He has his pronouns on twitter, and according to Gina explained the concept to her.
    She was fired for speaking her mind and because the opinions were not that of the "mob" she was axed.
    “Her mind” included racist and antisemetic ideas. Nothing to do with a mob. Her employer said cut it it, she refused. She made a choice.

Agreed, i think.
    Typo. I’m meant to say she’s an idiot.
    Its meant to. Free speech is unlimited speech even if you dislike or hate that speech.
    Her speech hasn’t been limited. She is still posting the same stuff. Nobody has said she can’t post it.
    Freedom of expression also applies to her employers. If they choose not to have their investment represented by an antisemite, they can.
    True, but to fire someone because they disagree politically even though those views do not affect your work is cancel culture.
    Nobody cares who she votes for, or supports.
    I don’t think be a racist or antisemite counts as a political view. Certainly not Hollywood executives.
    But regardless, it absolutely affects her work. That’s the entire issue.

That quote above is the tweet that got her fired so explain to me how is that anti-Semitic? As for the others i'm not on twitter so did not see them.
    She wasn’t fired for an isolated tweet. It was months and months of stuff. A lot of it posted, then taken down.
    That said comparing being a republican today, with a Jew in nazi Germany, is a bit of a stretch.
    Shapiro is an odd guy. Didn’t he attack other Jews as not being true Jews if they were not republican.
    Kinda ironic given the topic not being attacked for a political view.
    The point i was making was not based solely on her.
    My point was solely about her.
    I’ve followed her career since her fighting days. Talented. Gorgeous. So stayed in the spotlight after she stopped fighting.
    Was always a big conspiracy theorist. So maybe she just subscribes to the Illuminati conspiracy and is oblivious to the nasty undertones in the stuff she is promoting. Wouldn’t be the only one.

Arrested for "Calling a police horse gay" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Feisar

I’ve followed her career since her fighting days. Talented. Gorgeous.

Talented, ah, that's a bit of a stretch. A lot of her fights were at a catchweight where she was the bigger unit. The talent pool in women's MMA being pretty small at the time her opponents were taking fights with her that would be deemed laughable in the men's division. Now one can only fight what's put in front of you however a talented MMA fighter she's not.

Gorgeous, yep no argument there.

First they came for the socialists...

Feisar wrote: »
    Talented, ah, that's a bit of a stretch. A lot of her fights were at a catchweight where she was the bigger unit. The talent pool in women's MMA being pretty small at the time her opponents were taking fights with her that would be deemed laughable in the men's division. Now one can only fight what's put in front of you however a talented MMA fighter she's not.

Gorgeous, yep no argument there.

Well if she barked at you to do the washing up, you'd get the marigolds on pretty quick :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Feisar

Well if she barked at you to do the washing up, you'd get the marigolds on pretty quick :eek:

Hahaa!

Blink-182-Enema-of-the-State-cover.jpg
    gif upload site

First they came for the socialists...

That said comparing being a republican today, with a Jew in nazi Germany, is a bit of a stretch.

After having a parent and two grandparents who lived thru that whole mess in Berlin from 1932 to 1945, they would agree THIS is how it starts!
    The small things, the small lies, priming people for the big lie.

Well,its actually advanced quite a bit in the US with the ANTIFA/BLM thug brigade acting like SA thugs beating up on people wearing MAGA hats, or intimidating outside diners to "say their names" in restaurants in Washington DC. Police standing idly by, saying "they are Republicans they deserve it!" People too scared to be involved in the fear of being attacked or branded "nazis"
    Deplatforming, socially ostracizing, calling for Re-education camps and "Deprogramming Republicans from the cult of Trump" as posted here recently and lists by AOC and "the squad"...Yeah, you could say that long stretch isn't that long anymore to the one-way cattle car railway trip.
    Shapiro is an odd guy. Didn’t he attack other Jews as not being true Jews if they were not republican?
    Kinda ironic given the topic not being attacked for a political view.

In 2008 when he was discussing the Jewish support for Obama,for context
    As he is an orthodox Jew he would say that. We could have the same argument here in Ireland about Catholicism and conservatism. Religion and politics generally is explosive.
    https://townhall.com/columnists/benshapiro/2011/05/25/jews-in-name-only-n783739

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Looks like he did engage in some of that crap.

https://www.screengeek.net/2021/02/13/pedro-pascal-nazi-tweets-gina-carano/

• Advertisement

I know you are just repeating somebody else’s words. But that’s completely untrue.
    Really. You know!. How? Because you repeating the narrative of what you're been told is somehow "more right"?
    Yes he has. In an instagram post which he quickly deleted he compared Trump supporters to, ironically, confederates and Nazis (picture linked to below)
    He has his pronouns on twitter,
    So what?
    “Her mind” included racist and antisemetic ideas. Nothing to do with a mob.
    Show me.
    Her employer said cut it it, she refused. She made a choice.
    When Pascal done it he wasn't told to stop because his attack was on Trump and Trump supporters.
    Her speech hasn’t been limited. She is still posting the same stuff. Nobody has said she can’t post it.
    You just said, only above this, that she was told to stop. So what you mean is she can post what she wants but if it goes against the beliefs of those who employ her she won't work. IOW tow the party line or we'll make you pay.
    If they choose not to have their investment represented by an antisemite, they can.
    Show me her anti Semitic posts.
    Nobody cares who she votes for, or supports.
    .................... That’s the entire issue.
    Apparently they do as the "one that broke the Camel's back" was the one i referenced above about political ideology in America being similar to Nazi Germany.
    She wasn’t fired for an isolated tweet. It was months and months of stuff. A lot of it posted, then taken down.
    Same as Pascal so.
    Correct its more closely linked to democrats.
    So maybe she just subscribes to the Illuminati conspiracy and is oblivious to the nasty undertones in the stuff she is promoting. .
    What nasty undertones?

Comparing Nazi Germany to todays American political system is not a stretch given the actions of the democratic supported terrorist groups like antifa and blm.

Republicans have been targeted because of their political and ideological beliefs. Businesses that hold the same values have also been targeted. The far left mob have attacked/burned cities and people for everything from political beliefs to something as innocuous as wearing a MAGA hat.

Even now democratic supporters have called for re-education camps for republicans, and the cancelation of anything that goes against their political beliefs(i use that term loosely to incorporate any beliefs opposed to conservative beliefs).
    Wouldn’t be the only one
    She is not, but because others were ready to compromise their beliefs or were already "darlings" of the left or better still enjoyed black privilege they don't have to worry about consequences.

The deputy white house press secretary was suspended for a week when he threatened to destroy a reporter working on a story while calling the reporter a host of vile and sexist names. He was only suspended which goes against biden's pledge to fire anyone shown to be hateful or bigoted. Under pressure from the outcry of double standards he "resigned".

Nick Cannon, as i said previously, was fired for his racist and anti-semitic rants on his podcast against white people and Jews. Roll on a couple of months and he is back working after claiming to better understand things.

James Gunn, Guardian of the Galaxy director, was fired for old tweets promoting sexual violence towards children among a host of other vile rhetoric. Then he is rehired because he brings in Billions.

I don't support cancel culture in any form. Digging up old comments, posts or tweets is a slippery slope as i'm sure most people have something they wish they didn't say, said it in anger, or better still the ignorance of youth. It shouldn't be a reason to cancel those people today.

However there is a strong, and getting stronger, culture of follow us or we'll make it so you cannot work, live or exist. We;ll destroy you, your family and your business.

Just look at Parler. It was opposition to the main platforms and because they would not censor their content like Twitter demanded they worked to have it destroyed. The same Twitter that allows the terrorist nation of Iran to post, allows child porn, but blocks the President permanently.

Gina Carano might be a conspiracy theorist but nothing in her, reported, posts/tweets i see as offensive, however those seeking insult/offense will always find something to be offended by.

Advertisement