Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cass wrote: »
    Happening everywhere and the article was on about the UK too. Same thing happening there.

Minimal change in the price of oil, but disproportionate increase at the pumps.

Funny it never works in reverse this.Oil prices drop,it takes weeks to pass this onto the consumers.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Anyone else notice petrol/Diesel prices creeping up?

Read an article in the Mirror last night on it and it says that while the price of a barrel of oil has risen, slightly, it should only cause a 1p/1.2c increase at the pumps but that price hike is being applied immediately by the vendors (petrol stations) instead of when the "new" shipment of fuel/oil arrives and the addiditonal 3 to 4p/c rise is simply down to the stations adding it on due to the significant drop in usage (between 55 - 63% drop in consumption since the start of the lockdowns).

They openly admitted to increasing their margins by not following the massive oil drop, during the first lockdown. Was listening to it on the radio a few months back, journo said their margin increased 63%.

I've observed similar so many times over the years in many sectors - when demand drops, they increase the price.

Clear evidence of a captive market, I'm afraid.

This country is simply too small for classical economics to work as it should in theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

Lockdown until 5th March now? Ugh I envy you guys with land to shoot on :(

I need to order some snap caps and get some dryfire practise in :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I live on a border of two counties (three actually, but one i have no permission on) and all my shooting permissions are in the other county. So even in local lockdown i'm screwed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

yubabill wrote: »
    They openly admitted to increasing their margins by not following the massive oil drop, during the first lockdown.
    As you said not just lockdowns.

A few years back oil was up at something like $149 per barrel. It was one of the highest prices ever. At the pump it was on average €1.55 per litre (with highs of €1.61 p/l). When the price of a barrel dropped to $109 per barrel the price at the pumps only dropped to €1.50 perhaps even €1.47.

Last year oil was at $30 per barrel and the lowest i seen petrol (in my area) was €1.18 per litre. So the price per barrel was down by 80% but only 30% at the pumps.

I realise this is because of the taxes (all 4 or 5 of them) which keep petrol artificially high/ If petrol was free in the morning we'd still pay about €0.91 per litre in taxes anyway.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Seeing as how the Taoiseach broke lockdown rules to travel home what are the odds on him doing it again to make sure he can do the bowl of Shamrock thing with biden?

Also would this come into his thinking? Seems Shamrock delivery is non essential.

So much for his "I'm Irish and love all things Irish, and have Irish relatives in Mayo, and just keep me outta Ireland if there is an invitation going" Plastic Paddy malarkey from that old fraud.

Of course Mehole will be over to bow and scrape and simper with his now not made in Ireland"Waterford Crystal" fruit bowl on March 17th.
    Ah well, we won't have to worry about not getting a few quid from them for transporting troops thru Shannon.
    Sniffer has turned on the War machine again, and we'll be back in business soon enough wiping out wedding parties with million-dollar drone strikes in the Middle East:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

A few years back oil was up at something like $149 per barrel. It was one of the highest prices ever. At the pump it was on average €1.55 per litre (with highs of €1.61 p/l). When the price of a barrel dropped to $109 per barrel the price at the pumps only dropped to €1.50 perhaps even €1.47.

Driven by pure Wall st speculation and to see how far Al Gores agenda could be driven on his prognosis that a barrel of oil would cost on a $150 as a standard by the year 2016 with the "peak oil " myth.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Lucky enough to have sea, lake and river fishing all within the 5km of the house here, too early for salmon or trout so hit the salt water on the coming tide for a couple of hours. Nice and peaceful even if it was a little chilly.

Had to call it a day a bit early when 5 ladies arrived and went for a swim, their dogs declined to join them despite shouts of encouragement.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Lucky enough to have sea, lake and river fishing all within the 5km of the house here, too early for salmon or trout so hit the salt water on the coming tide for a couple of hours. Nice and peaceful even if it was a little chilly.

Had to call it a day a bit early when 5 ladies arrived and went for a swim, their dogs declined to join them despite shouts of encouragement.

Bloody hell, no thank you going for a swim today :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

Seeing as how the Taoiseach broke lockdown rules to travel home what are the odds on him doing it again to make sure he can do the bowl of Shamrock thing with biden?

Also would this come into his thinking? Seems Shamrock delivery is non essential.

The absolute hypocrisy of that man, criticising Trump for his travel ban but the goes ahead and bans travel to Europe. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The absolute hypocrisy of that man, criticising Trump for his travel ban but the goes ahead and bans travel to Europe. What a joke.

I'm pretty sure the Trump travel ban that he criticised was the pre-Covid one in relation to Muslim and African countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

I'm pretty sure the Trump travel ban that he criticised was the pre-Covid one in relation to Muslim and African countries.

Really? I could have sworn that Biden lifted a travel ban on his first day in office, still though it is hypocritical for a critic of Trump's travel bans to implement similar restrictions.

Eejits.

In their defence I should point out it is one of the safest places on our coast to go for a swim, you can go out a fair bit at full tide and it's still quite shallow. It's actually the same spot where our youngest lad learned to swim as a child and progress on to learn life saving through the training courses run by Water Safety Ireland.

Also they were all local very accomplished swimmers, they warmed up before entering, were warming down when I was leaving and they arrived in four different cars.

It was that they went in during such cold weather was the thing that shocked me more than anything. One of my friends rang me on a video call as I was there and I said nothing and turned so he could see them wading in to the sea in the background and he couldn't believe his eyes.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Whats running at the moment in fish for beach casting? Haven't done it in ages.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Whats running at the moment in fish for beach casting? Haven't done it in ages.

Depends on the bait and what area you fish from but today I was hoping to hook flounder or bass. It was a bit too wild for fishing the deeper areas from the rocks which could throw up decent pollock or even specimen ballan wrasse or spurdog.

Depends on the bait and what area you fish from but today I was hoping to hook flounder or bass. It was a bit too wild for fishing the deeper areas from the rocks which could throw up decent pollock or even specimen ballan wrasse or spurdog.

I've really missed out I must say....
    Growing up in suburban Dublin I only saw my first fox when I moved to Ashbourne about 11 years ago. Never even held a fishing rod :O

Never hunted either. The wildest deer I've ever seen are Phoenix Park ahem 'wild' deer :P

alan0387 wrote: »
    I've really missed out I must say....
    Growing up in suburban Dublin I only saw my first fox when I moved to Ashbourne about 11 years ago. Never even held a fishing rod :O

Never hunted either. The wildest deer I've ever seen are Phoenix Park ahem 'wild' deer :P

Never too late to start Alan, I grew up in one of the biggest council estates on the north side of Cork city.

Luckily for me my Dad and my older brothers enjoyed fishing so that gave me a head start in a hobby I've always loved.

One brother and his friends were into hunting with terriers so I tagged along with them for a couple of decades but I only got my first rifle about 3 years ago.

Learning all the time and enjoying every minute of it.

Right.

I'm after deleting EVERYTHING from the last few hours, mine included.

I've just noticed a trend of posts that seem to be provoking fights and like a fool I rose to the bait. I say bait because more than one post made mention of "why this thread should have been deleted/got rid of".

So it may be the case some that wanted the thread gone are going to attempt to destroy it by posting argumentative and provoking posts in order to accomplish that.

To that end i've deleted the last few posts and requested a Mod review by one of the other mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey folks,

After a review the thread has been re-opened. While I am making no allegations, there appears to have been posters commenting in a disingenuous manner. This will always spiral downwards and eventually require mod action.

Following on from the recent vote on the future of this thread, the thread will remain open. Anyone posting in the fashion mentioned above will be asked to refrain from posting here. If they refuse, more severe action will be taken as necessary.

Lads n ladies it is 2021, no matter if you are left leaning or right leaning if you start calling someone names or causing fights on an internet forum, then you're the problem, not the person you disagree with.
    Disagreements are absolutely fine and expected in all facets of life. On this forum can people please politely outline why
    you disgaree and for the love of God be open to the possibility of learning if you're provided with new credible information.

All the best,
    Vegeta

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not sure what the above is about. Wasn't around for a bit. Including the voting.

Really? I could have sworn that Biden lifted a travel ban on his first day in office, still though it is hypocritical for a critic of Trump's travel bans to implement similar restrictions.

I think the point was that one travel ban was based on public health, ie COVID. And the other one was based on religion. So they weren't similar.

If he criticize the religion banned, then banned Buddhists from travel, then that would be hypocrisy.

Mellor wrote: »
    Not sure what the above is about. Wasn't around for a bit. Including the voting.

I think the point was that one travel ban was based on public health, ie COVID. And the other one was based on religion. So they weren't similar.

If he criticize the religion banned, then banned Buddhists from travel, then that would be hypocrisy.

Or the minor fact that they were terrorist sponsoring countries,from whom a few arrived and committed a mass shooting in LA a couple of years ago?
    Or the fact that it was impossible to accruately track their past histories ,but much easier to play the "wascist" and "orange man bad" card.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Or the minor fact that they were terrorist sponsoring countries,from whom a few arrived and committed a mass shooting in LA a couple of years ago?
    Every country on the list sponsored terrorists?
    Seems a stretch, it was a big list.
    Which shooting in LA? I knew one two, but just googled and both were by American citizens.

What about the terrorists from other countries? Why not ban them all if that’s the reason?

Every country on the list sponsored terrorists?
    Seems a stretch, it was a big list.
    Which shooting in LA? I knew one two, but just googled and both were by American citizens.

What about the terrorists from other countries? Why not ban them all if that’s the reason?

Seven is a big list? With only one having an indefinite restriction

San Bernardino shooting ...Farook's girlfriend, Malik a Pakistani-born green cardholder,... Farook was 1st gen Pakistan

Whataboutery for the rest.

On a more localised note.
    Thoughts on Three phone company sharing data with on peoples phone movements? I'll be leaving mine at home ...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40214021.html?fbclid=IwAR2_bo09T0trs0az5vl3qWGkRFQnw2ieJI-axPFupHdl6WC4d0-gslQqWl4

And the other one was based on religion.
    That false.

It was a national security issue given that the first on the list was the worlds number one for terrorism, Iran. The religious angle was the media's take after criticism by opposition parties. They were listed due to the high probability of terrorism and/or attacks from those countries. The original list:
    • Iran
    • Iraq
    • Libya
    • Somalia
    • Sudan
    • Syria

Then Iraq and Sudan were removed in 2020 with three other countries added, with restrictions more so than ban:
    • Chad
    • North Korea
    • Venezuela
    The ban in Venezula only applied to Governmental and Presidential officials.

Although all three travel bans were challenged in court they, or more accurately the third and final one, were upheld by the supreme court in 2018.

On a more localised note.
    Thoughts on Three phone company sharing data with on peoples phone movements? I'll be leaving mine at home ...

They [Three] said it does not breach GDPR, but that is only their opinion and i assume a court case would sort it out and probably not to their liking.

Just giving the movements of someone, regardless of the other personal data, has to be a breach of either GDPR and/or their ability to freely movement within the state and EU. Well varadkar said that is why they cannot stop entry to Ireland for foreign visitors so i assume the same holds true for Irish citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

While I am not a fan (not one bit) of Three sharing data with the government, they claim it is anonymised to electoral regions.

Wonder is the data FOI'able?

• Advertisement

I read the article a few days back so correct any mistakes i may make.

If they're using data to monitor people's activity/distance from their home then they must have some data relating to the person and their home address in order to monitor/figure out how far the person has travelled. So how can it be anonymous if they need access to certain data to get the data?

If that makes sense?

Advertisement