Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FRAGRANCE SPLITS - *SEPTEMBER 2022*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

The work pat does on this thread saving people serious money and you still get some idiot coming in here posting his bank details online. Hope he is site banned fairly quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OhChicken permanently banned for trolling, baiting and posting personal details publicly. All his posts deleted. And good riddance.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Apologies for the rude interruption folks! I'll be back re the requests above later (apologies, trying to get the kids to bed now).

This week's deliveries will be later than usual BTW - I had hoped to get most of the work done last night after flying back from abroad, but the plane through a wobbler so ended up spending most of the day in the airport while they tried to fix it and didn't get in until very late.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In fairness P, better than being in the air while they're trying to fix it. :D J

ust realised I've no smelly stuff in small bottles and I don't think carbolic soap is the smell that does it so must do some research into various scents...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Just in case anyone is giving that dude some credence, here's the now empty Aventus flacons I have hanging around (free to good homes - I've chucked a good few in the bin recently!), plus 4 x 250ml full flacons to the front for upcoming splits (can't get 500ml ones at the moment):
    441402.jpg

Plus here's most of the other stuff I'm splitting over the next little while:
    441404.jpg

And here's my own 'display' of older splits which herself won't let me expand!:
    441403.jpg

• Advertisement

You don't need to prove a bloody thing around here P.

Paully D wrote: »
    Hi Pat. I hope all is well.

Can you put me down for the €28 / 25ml male Hermès and a Creed Aventus please?
    UsedToWait wrote: »
    Hi Pat,

Hope the recovery is going well

Can you please put me down for:

Aventus for Her 50ml

Acqua di Parma: Colonia Assoluta 30ml

Terre d'Hermes 25ml

Many thanks.

Both OK, payment requests coming shortly. I'll caution that it'll be a few weeks before delivery as I'm very backlogged on shipping due to me mangled arm - could push 1st week March.

Down to 3 bottles of Terre d'Hermes parfum left if anyone's thinking of it - in hand, and already bottled!

4 bottles of Aventus for Her left also - also in hand and bottled.

JamieHP and DryCleanOnly: no response to repeated payment requests; no allocation in future splits.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Both OK, payment requests coming shortly. I'll caution that it'll be a few weeks before delivery as I'm very backlogged on shipping due to me mangled arm - could push 1st week March.

Down to 3 bottles of Terre d'Hermes parfum left if anyone's thinking of it - in hand, and already bottled!

4 bottles of Aventus for Her left also - also in hand and bottled.

hi pat

could i take one of each please, and if possible if its not too cheeky could i take one of the empty aventus creed flacons with it aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Hi Pat .

Have you any Tom Ford left ?

Thanks
    Stephen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thanks Pat.

Payment sent first thing this morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I just saw a post on here from someone saying he reckoned the Aventus was watered down and the scent doesn't last.

I bought the Aventus from Pat, met him in person, sound lad and I've no reason to think he'd water down product, I've an original bottle from BT, its 30ml, and I have to say I also find with the Aventus I got from Pat that I find the scent doesn't last at all. I've even sprayed the two on separate wrists and the original from BT lasts way longer, that bottle is 2 years old, even the texture looks a bit thicker.

I'm not here to troll, Pat can revisit his PMs and he might remember me.

I can see there's 100s of people delighted with their bottle, from my own opinion on comparing a bottle from BT versus Pats, in terms of lastabililty there's no comparison. €120 for 30ml is far better than the €50 or €60 I paid for 50ml.

Could easily of been an isolated bad batch received, I'm sure this happens. I haven't been following the thread, has there been any other queries about the short scent life on the Aventus Pat particularly in October I think it was when I got it?

Esse85 wrote: »
    I just saw a post on here from someone saying he reckoned the Aventus was watered down and the scent doesn't last.

I bought the Aventus from Pat, met him in person, sound lad and I've no reason to think he'd water down product, I've an original bottle from BT, its 30ml, and I have to say I also find with the Aventus I got from Pat that I find the scent doesn't last at all. I've even sprayed the two on separate wrists and the original from BT lasts way longer, that bottle is 2 years old, even the texture looks a bit thicker.

I'm not here to troll, Pat can revisit his PMs and he might remember me.

I can see there's 100s of people delighted with their bottle, from my own opinion on comparing a bottle from BT versus Pats, in terms of lastabililty there's no comparison. €120 for 30ml is far better than the €50 or €60 I paid for 50ml.

Could easily of been an isolated bad batch received, I'm sure this happens. I haven't been following the thread, has there been any other queries about the short scent life on the Aventus Pat particularly in October I think it was when I got it?

Hi Esse85,

Yes, I remember you Esse85. I must admit to being surprised to read this seeing as I heard nothing from you since you collected your bottle. As I already indicated yesterday, I haven't had any queries from anyone regarding the longevity of the Aventus I provide, including the 69 other people who received bottles from the same batch as you - 17T01, for the record.

A poster has already provided a link yesterday to discussion on the Basenotes forum regarding Aventus batch variation, a topic so discussed it was moved to its own dedicated forum. A quick scan of this will show many people who detect huge differences from batch to batch. However, simply ascribing any problems to 'batch variation' is the easy way out for me - and I'm not going to take it. Personally, I think the whole concept of batch variation in the last year or two is completely blown out of proportion - I've smelled more Aventus than anyone else in the country over the last year and, frankly, it all smells the same to me. Focusing on the 17T01 batch, you will see that this was lauded as 'best batch of the year' for ages, but now suddenly people are complaining that it doesn't last - just in the last few days one Basenotes poster said that they were "very down in the dumps about the performance of [their] recent 17T01 100ml retail purchase".

What is not in question though is that Aventus did exhibit significant batch variation until approx 2015 - online cries of 'the new stuff doesn't last as well as the old stuff' are common. I don't know what batch your previous bottle is, but it may well come from before they effectively standardized the formula. Further, the Aventus hardcore on Basenotes are also convinced that Aventus 'matures' and becomes stronger the longer it is stored - just today the leading UK splitter spun a delay in obtaining Aventus as "good news" as "this means the juice will have sat maturing for a whole extra month".

It is also well documented that many people online saying that Aventus doesn't last on them are actually incorrect - they are actually experiencing 'anosmia' whereby they can't smell it on themselves (their sense of smell essentially 'ignores' it after a while, in much the same way as our brain ignores white noise after a time), but others can. This is certainly something I can vouch for - I have talked to people wearing Aventus who thought it had all gone, when they were in fact actually reeking of it to those around them, myself included. This is a feature particularly associated with a number of Creed fragrances, especially Aventus.

More simply, and perhaps most likely of all, until very recently the sprayers on Creed bottles were celebrated / notorious (take your pick) for dispensing huge quantities of liquid (I think they've lowered it now) - about 200 microlitres I've heard which is enormous, even by the standard of retail bottles for other brands. My 50ml bottles use 80 microlitre sprayers - so one spray of a Creed bottle would be the equivalent of nearly three sprays from one of the split bottles - not exactly a fair match really.

Unlike that dude yesterday, I don't doubt your bona fides, but I will not accept any hint that the Aventus I supply for splits is in any way substandard. If there's a (perceived) problem with it, that's the way it's been supplied by Creed - indeed I've regularly pointed to the large amounts of sediment in several of their fragrances as evidence of their quality control issues. The Aventus I use is purchased from official Creed distributors and I have the documentation to prove it. All the fragrances I buy are purchased from reputable suppliers precisely because I want to avoid any hint of impropriety. I've been offered several bottles of various fragrances (not Aventus) here on Boards but I've refused them all as I cannot 100% vouch for their origin. There are eBay sellers who I know I could realistically safely buy from - but again, I will not do this as the paper trail is not there to my satisfaction. I'm sure I could make a killing flogging watered down juice on eBay or Donedeal or something - but if I was into that kinda crap, would I really be buying very expensive (> €5 each) empty bottles for my splits - simply because they look nicer? Or going to the bother of designing Aventus labels in Photoshop (your bottle doesn't have one of these) and getting them printed - at not insignificant cost - in flipping Italy - again, for the sake of providing a luxury product? Would I have marched into the Creed Boutique in London and practically forced them to promise to set aside the first two flacons in Europe of the then-unreleased Viking for me - just so Boards members could get their hands on the first split of it in the world? Would I regularly buy niche stuff in - that members may not buy all of - at my own risk, just so I can supply interesting fragrances that people couldn't try otherwise? Or split a pair of fragrances literally hours after I broke my shoulder - just so a guy could have them in time for his wife's birthday? Maybe there's scammers out there who'd go to those lengths - but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

You don’t need to explain yourself to anyone.

Do you still have Creed Viking? If so could I order one and one Terre dHermes
    If no Viking could I get an Aventus and a terre dhermes .
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Maybe there could be an evaporation factor during the decant.
    Did you say before you sprayed/atomized it into the split bottles as opposed to syringing? That might loose some of the fixative. Like this dude

Dunno I'm just surmising, im happy enough with everything anyway.

Have to recommend the Poivre Electrique Altelier btw. Anything else along those lines?

Maybe there could be an evaporation factor during the decant.
    Did you say before you sprayed/atomized it into the split bottles as opposed to syringing? That might loose some of the fixative. Like this dude

Dunno I'm just surmising, im happy enough with everything anyway.

Have to recommend the Poivre Electrique Altelier btw. Anything else along those lines?

No, spraying is only used for some of the smaller 100ml splits - Aventus is directly decanted from 250 / 500ml flacons.

The Poivre Electrique is pretty......unique! Comme des Garcons do a similar-ish one called Black Pepper but I have no plans to list it as I don't really see enough people being interested. The only one which I've come across in vaguely similar territory is Amouage Reflection, although this is much milder, and only lightly peppery.

Cyrus wrote: »
    hi pat

could i take one of each please, and if possible if its not too cheeky could i take one of the empty aventus creed flacons with it aswell?
    Yes, that's fine. Re the flacon: no problem getting one but I don't ship them as I think they're very likely to get broken. I will however be up in Dublin in a few weeks and you're welcome to collect one then if you're around.

Do you still have Creed Viking? If so could I order one and one Terre dHermes
    If no Viking could I get an Aventus and a terre dhermes .
    Thanks
    No Viking at the moment I'm afraid - I might do it again in a few months. Have put you down for the Aventus and Hermes so, cheers.

Hi Pat .

Have you any Tom Ford left ?

Thanks
    Stephen

The only Tom Ford I have to hand is a little bit of Grey Vetiver EdP, but only as part of the Vetiver triple pack. I am expecting to receive the new Noir Anthracite next week though - this is really good IMHO; I'm not sure how much I'll have available as I'll be taking some of this one myself.

I'm also expecting a langerload (as we call it in Cork) of Tuscan Leather shortly - to celebrate one year of these splits! Can't confirm pricing yet - and it's a secret, so don't tell anyone! ;):pac:

I had hoped to get most of the work done last night after flying back from abroad, but the plane threw a wobbler so ended up spending most of the day in the airport while they tried to fix it and didn't get in until very late.

Perhaps unbelievably, within 24 hours of submitting an EU261 claim to Ryanair for this delay, they've agreed to pay me €250 compensation! And stump up a tenner for me dinner! Good man Mick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

+1 on the Poivre Electrique Altelier - beautiful fragrance

Also on anosmia - I believe it is inevitable when wearing same scent each day, sometimes during the day I have a sniff to see if fragrance is still holding, and don't smell anything - then later I can get a fairly strong whiff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The only Tom Ford I have to hand is a little bit of Grey Vetiver EdP, but only as part of the Vetiver triple pack. I am expecting to receive the new Noir Anthracite next week though - this is really good IMHO; I'm not sure how much I'll have available as I'll be taking some of this one myself.

I'm also expecting a langerload (as we call it in Cork) of Tuscan Leather shortly - to celebrate one year of these splits! Can't confirm pricing yet - and it's a secret, so don't tell anyone! ;):pac:

I had a whiff of the Anthracite recently. It's the oddest fragrance ever... yes it smells exactly like anthracite (coal!) Dunno what it's like on the skin though, I presume it changes when it settles.

Yes, that's fine. Re the flacon: no problem getting one but I don't ship them as I think they're very likely to get broken. I will however be up in Dublin in a few weeks and you're welcome to collect one then if you're around.

hi pat, we could try that, let me know when you are going to be around (and where roughly) when you get a chance,

altho i have to say, the way you post stuff, id be amazed if anything broke.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Hi Esse85,

Yes, I remember you Esse85. I must admit to being surprised to read this seeing as I heard nothing from you since you collected your bottle. As I already indicated yesterday, I haven't had any queries from anyone regarding the longevity of the Aventus I provide, including the 69 other people who received bottles from the same batch as you - 17T01, for the record.

A poster has already provided a link yesterday to discussion on the Basenotes forum regarding Aventus batch variation, a topic so discussed it was moved to its own dedicated forum. A quick scan of this will show many people who detect huge differences from batch to batch. However, simply ascribing any problems to 'batch variation' is the easy way out for me - and I'm not going to take it. Personally, I think the whole concept of batch variation in the last year or two is completely blown out of proportion - I've smelled more Aventus than anyone else in the country over the last year and, frankly, it all smells the same to me. Focusing on the 17T01 batch, you will see that this was lauded as 'best batch of the year' for ages, but now suddenly people are complaining that it doesn't last - just in the last few days one Basenotes poster said that they were "very down in the dumps about the performance of [their] recent 17T01 100ml retail purchase".

What is not in question though is that Aventus did exhibit significant batch variation until approx 2015 - online cries of 'the new stuff doesn't last as well as the old stuff' are common. I don't know what batch your previous bottle is, but it may well come from before they effectively standardized the formula. Further, the Aventus hardcore on Basenotes are also convinced that Aventus 'matures' and becomes stronger the longer it is stored - just today the leading UK splitter spun a delay in obtaining Aventus as "good news" as "this means the juice will have sat maturing for a whole extra month".

It is also well documented that many people online saying that Aventus doesn't last on them are actually incorrect - they are actually experiencing 'anosmia' whereby they can't smell it on themselves (their sense of smell essentially 'ignores' it after a while, in much the same way as our brain ignores white noise after a time), but others can. This is certainly something I can vouch for - I have talked to people wearing Aventus who thought it had all gone, when they were in fact actually reeking of it to those around them, myself included. This is a feature particularly associated with a number of Creed fragrances, especially Aventus.

More simply, and perhaps most likely of all, until very recently the sprayers on Creed bottles were celebrated / notorious (take your pick) for dispensing huge quantities of liquid (I think they've lowered it now) - about 200 microlitres I've heard which is enormous, even by the standard of retail bottles for other brands. My 50ml bottles use 80 microlitre sprayers - so one spray of a Creed bottle would be the equivalent of nearly three sprays from one of the split bottles - not exactly a fair match really.

Unlike that dude yesterday, I don't doubt your bona fides, but I will not accept any hint that the Aventus I supply for splits is in any way substandard. If there's a (perceived) problem with it, that's the way it's been supplied by Creed - indeed I've regularly pointed to the large amounts of sediment in several of their fragrances as evidence of their quality control issues. The Aventus I use is purchased from official Creed distributors and I have the documentation to prove it. All the fragrances I buy are purchased from reputable suppliers precisely because I want to avoid any hint of impropriety. I've been offered several bottles of various fragrances (not Aventus) here on Boards but I've refused them all as I cannot 100% vouch for their origin. There are eBay sellers who I know I could realistically safely buy from - but again, I will not do this as the paper trail is not there to my satisfaction. I'm sure I could make a killing flogging watered down juice on eBay or Donedeal or something - but if I was into that kinda crap, would I really be buying very expensive (> €5 each) empty bottles for my splits - simply because they look nicer? Or going to the bother of designing Aventus labels in Photoshop (your bottle doesn't have one of these) and getting them printed - at not insignificant cost - in flipping Italy - again, for the sake of providing a luxury product? Would I have marched into the Creed Boutique in London and practically forced them to promise to set aside the first two flacons in Europe of the then-unreleased Viking for me - just so Boards members could get their hands on the first split of it in the world? Would I regularly buy niche stuff in - that members may not buy all of - at my own risk, just so I can supply interesting fragrances that people couldn't try otherwise? Or split a pair of fragrances literally hours after I broke my shoulder - just so a guy could have them in time for his wife's birthday? Maybe there's scammers out there who'd go to those lengths - but I doubt it.

Pat I'm entitled to voice my opinion and give my own feedback based on my own experience of purchasing from you. I'm not an online warrior,
    I'm sorry your "upset and very disappointed" as per your PM that it doesn't fit in with all your other happy customers.

The reason you haven't heard from me before is that I put it down to a once off bad sample, seen as every one was happy with theirs. My belief was "sur what do I expect paying €50/60 for 50ml when it retails for €120 for 30ml"
    Its similar to buying soccer shirts from a website in Thailand for €20 and expecting the shirts to be of the exact same quality as the ones selling in lifestyle for €75

It was the other posters response suggesting it was watered down that prompted me to share my experience which I have done in an open, honest and exploratory approach. I've bigged you up at every time during my post. I've given my response in a very calm manner.

SNIP. Do NOT post content from Private messages on this public forum. The clue is in the name; private and it's very much frowned upon.

Your obviously running a good business from all the satisfied and repeat business your getting and the very best of luck to you, maybe try being a little less suspicious when a genuine customer who's bought from you shares their experience.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Its similar to buying soccer shirts from a website in Thailand for €20 and expecting the shirts to be of the exact same quality as the ones selling in lifestyle for €75

its not at all like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Don't see what the mystery is financially - brown Thomas are selling 30ml for 120??

It's brown Thomas ffs

Quick look around the internet and I could likely source 500ml for a bit over 500 quid - that's without any effort

Make a couple of contacts, and do a bit of bargaining, and obtain a few customers then anyone can see how a small few quid could be made

No mystery - personally I'm glad to have pat go through the hassle because I couldn't be bothered, and I hope he does alright out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

its not at all like that

yes, probably not a fair comparison.

I think folks should be entitled to their opinion good or bad though and this poster appears to be a decent type unlike that other clown.

It'll be fine for a night out.

mailburner wrote: »
    yes, probably not a fair comparison.

I think folks should be entitled to their opinion good or bad though and this poster appears to be a decent type unlike that other clown.

It'll be fine for a night out.

it should be no better or worse than the bottle you buy from BT or selfridges or wherever, i dont think thats even worthy of any debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

it should be no better or worse than the bottle you buy from BT or selfridges or wherever, i dont think thats even worthy of any debate.

I agree but If one or two notice a difference then they are perfectly entitled to express it though are they not?

I certainly won't know and won't be buying a 30ml bottle in bt outa curiosity but there's little doubt it'll be top notch and that it will be genuine, otherwise plenty would have noticed by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Anybody can express an opinion certainly

Nothing wrong with that

Pat gave a very detailed explanation for some of the reasons as to why the aventus may be perceived to not last as long as previous batches and years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Please put me down for this when it comes in - I dont regularly follow the thread , would it be possible to PM me when ready ?

Very exciting

Advertisement