Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Music Did You Like Listening To As A Teenager?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭PGE1970

@Ectoriage - great list.

How did I forget The Golden Horde!!! Quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Should have been bigger, but genuinely believe that Fowler's coming out harmed their appeal... Shameful really
    My favourite band. It had an effect, English tabloids, had no affect in REM and shouldnt have with ocs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

thesultan wrote: »
    My favourite band. It had an effect, English tabloids, had no affect in REM and shouldnt have with ocs

Never realised that happened but then I always that OCS were scutter so wouldn't have really been paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Any pirated cassette tape of a live gig that I bought on O'Connell Bridge.
    I bought a copy of a Guns N Roses concert on the bridge around 1988 and when I got home it was some Simple Minds gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

PGE1970 wrote: »
    "I graduated to Irish bands like those listed above, additionally Shaine, Tuesday Blue, Engine Alley and Energy Orchard (RIP Bap Kennedy)."

I forgot Tuesday Blue! Wasn't Tunnelvision their album?
    It was the opening track on Shibumi. One of my favourite albums by an Irish band. I bought it in 1990.
    PGE1970 wrote: »
    "
    Fair play to you, you've come a long way from Rick Astley!!
    I never left Rick! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Early teens: Limp Bizkit, Korn, Kid Rock, Deftones, Linkin Park (yes I had fecking woeful taste in music around this time! :o )

Outkast
    Muse
    Libertines
    LCD Soundsystem
    Bloc Party
    Kings of Leon (then they went to utter sh*t around 2007 or so)
    White Stripes
    Interpol
    Daft Punk
    The Knife
    The Roots
    Bright Eyes
    Clipse
    Modest Mouse
    TV on the Radio
    Plus got into old 70s rock music and Motown an awful lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

I saw somebody mentioned 10,000 maniacs ....How could i could forget them...And the gorgeous Natalie Merchant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

My first record as a teenager was Fantastic Day by Hair Cut One Hundred. I remember doing some chores for my neighbour to get the money to buy the record after hearing it on Top Of The Pops. I think Nick Heyward the lead singer left the band to go it on his own but didn't do well at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

The 90's for me. So many good bands at the time that even you were to start listing them you're always going to forget some really good ones.

The standout ones that I was probably into the most would have been Radiohead, Orbital and Massive Attack. Like I said countless other ones, REM, Aphex Twin, Smashing Pumpkins etc but those three would have been my favourite. Also loved the britpop sound at the time and even more so now I would say with more than a hint of nostalgia. Still love all those bands. It was a glorious period for music and feel lucky to have been a teenager during it.

mewe wrote: »
    The 90's for me. So many good bands at the time that even you were to start listing them you're always going to forget some really good ones.

The standout ones that I was probably into the most would have been Radiohead, Orbital and Massive Attack. Like I said countless other ones, REM, Aphex Twin, Smashing Pumpkins etc but those three would have been my favourite. Also loved the britpop sound at the time and even more so now I would say with more than a hint of nostalgia. Still love all those bands. It was a glorious period for music and feel lucky to have been a teenager during it.
    I suppose the early 90s for me anything after that just wasn't my type of music. I currently listen to the likes of The Four Tops, The Drifters and Earth Wind And Fire. For me we will never see the likes again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Billy86 wrote: »
    Kings of Leon (then they went to utter sh*t around 2007 or so)

2004 King of the Rodeo is one hell of a brilliant song.. they were so hot on it and then, you're right, they dissolved into complete sex-on-fire pop music sh!te in no time. Never understood why.
    Erik Shin wrote: »
    I saw somebody mentioned 10,000 maniacs ....How could i could forget them...And the gorgeous Natalie Merchant

You have just reminded me that every guy I knew back then was in love with Miss Merchant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I got into punk music at around 15 yrs old and have been listening to it ever since.

Dead Kennedys
    Crass
    The Exploited
    Discharge
    Conflict
    GBH
    Anti Nowhere League
    Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd put this solely down to pretending - I think metal appeals a lot to teenagers: it's angry and intense, it has a visceral appeal that I and loads that I knew could get behind and a rebellious attitude (which was often a cynical cash grab, I know!) that I thought made it far superior to other types of music when I was a youngster. My tastes mightn't have been too sophisticated, but my love for it was real.

You are never too old to rock:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/christopher-lee-inside-his-secret-life-in-heavy-metal-20150611

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I listened to quite a few rubbish bands when I was a teenager, namely stuff like Green Day, Sum 41, Papa Roach, Funeral for a Friend, Lostprophets, AFI, Blink 182, The Offspring, Coldplay, U2 etc.

But there's still plenty of bands that I enjoyed listening to as a teenager that I still listen to today - Slayer, Deftones, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Brand New, Smashing Pumpkins, Placebo, The Smiths, The Cure, Pixies, Tool, Opeth, Mastodon, Radiohead, The White Stripes, The Strokes, and Alice in Chains off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    2004 King of the Rodeo is one hell of a brilliant song.. they were so hot on it and then, you're right, they dissolved into complete sex-on-fire pop music sh!te in no time. Never understood why.
    That whole album was pretty great, first heard them on Kerrang (anyone here remember Kerrang!?) with The Bucket, still a great song. Their first two albums still sound great, third is hit and miss, hated the fourth and I've been hugely underwhelmed with anything I've heard from them since.

Can't argue with the sales though, always cringe when I hear people b*tching about 'selling out' - make what you can while you're big in my opinion.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_of_Leon_discography#Studio_albums

Think they just lost it altogether when they went to appeal to a wider audience, similar thing in my opinion happened to Muse around 2009 or 2010.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »

Sublime

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Madonna and George Michael were my idols back in the 80's / 90's. Loved 'em.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

INXS
    U2
    Transvision Vamp
    George Michael
    David Bowie
    Kraftwerk
    Neneh Cherry
    Eurythmics

JupiterKid wrote: »
    INXS
    U2
    Transvision Vamp
    George Michael
    David Bowie
    Kraftwerk
    Neneh Cherry
    Eurythmics
    Never really took to U2 they are just not my kind of band. Neneh Cherry she was a bit of a stunner. I think she had a brother who sang aswell. Can't think of his name though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Never really took to U2 they are just not my kind of band. Neneh Cherry she was a bit of a stunner. I think she had a brother who sang aswell. Can't think of his name though.

Eagle Eye Cherry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Early to mid nineties for me.

Remember Nevermind being the first proper album that I listened to and being blown away. The richness of the grunge sound (might sound like a contradiction but I can't describe it any other way).

The way the bass and drums combined with Kurt's voice and transgressive lyrics. Just completely new and thrilling to a 15 year old me. Remember playing the side B especially repeatedly (Drain You; Lounge Act (God I loved Lounge Act for some reason); Stay Away (that build and release of anger in the second half); On a Plain.

Loved Breed on the first side as well. I distinctly remember it giving me this weird "**** you" false confidence when I was having trouble in school with oppressive teachers. I can remember it like yesterday. Probably my first punk experience ha!

Other albums then:
    Therapy's Troublegum I wore out. So good. Every song a 3 minute nugget of pop/metal/punk goodness.

GNR stuff around the time.
    Discovered (the) Pixies in college while drunk and was mesmerised by the sound. What the fcuk is this. Who are these wonderful weirdos. Again the light and shade/quiet and loud (Kim and Frank) dynamic I suppose
    Velouria. Gouge away. Monkey gone to heaven. Debaser. Here comes your man Etc.

Radiohead: my beloved The Bends and OK Computer. Lost interest with the later stuff (guitar Radiohead for me. Maybe I'm a philistine).

Smashing Pumpkins: 1979 sticks out.
    Suede: I loved their unapologetic singular style. I wasn't really into other Britpop but remember it well.

Definitely Maybe by Oasis good album.

Mazzie Star and REM.
    Since the turn of the century not much really.
    Bloc Party. The Strokes. Postpunk.
    Going back to The Cure's disintregration. The National.

Special mention to U2's Achtung Baby. Wonderful record.

Listen to a lot of pop nowadays.
    Robyn is amazing for example.
    I don't rail against **** much any more. Ha.

Edit: Can't believe I left out The Smiths. A staple that I don't listen to so much any more. Probably why I forgot them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Therapy's Troublegum I wore out. So good. Every song a 3 minute nugget of pop/metal/punk goodness.

Man, I forgot all about Therapy?, Troublegum was a great album, but they seemed to have a lot of begrudgers. I left out Smashing Pumpkins earlier too, oh, just thought now of the Lemonheads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ectoraige wrote: »
    Man, I forgot all about Therapy?, Troublegum was a great album, but they seemed to have a lot of begrudgers.

I had been listening to them since the Babyteeth days and went to see them in the SFX during the Nurse tour and they were a great band but Screamager and Troublegum were a million miles away from what they had been doing. That stylistic jump didn't interest me at all and I gave up on them. Wasn't really a case of begrudgery.

There first three albums were amazing

My favourite as a youngster Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, Kula shaker, Manic Street Preachers, Bluetones , Cast, the verve. They all had great albums out at the time. I got the Beatles anthology albums too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

thesultan wrote: »
    There first three albums were amazing

First 2 albums!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My musical tastes changed very quickly in my teens. What I liked when I was 15 was consigned to history by the time I was 19. By them I loved:

Nirvana
    Still loved Bowie
    Kraftwerk (still)
    Patti Smith
    Led Zeppelin
    Neil Young
    Janis Joplin
    Stevie Wonder
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Bjork
    Massive Attack
    Lush
    Suede
    Orbital
    Blondie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

In my early teens the Bay City Rollers, loved the Bee Gees music from Saturday Night Fever and the Grease movie, Kate Bush (still like her). Graduated onto heavy metal and punk in my late teens, Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath, Jimmy Hendrix, AC/DC, Rory Gallagher, Queen, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Undertones etc

In my early teens the Bay City Rollers, loved the Bee Gees music from Saturday Night Fever and the Grease movie, Kate Bush (still like her). Graduated onto heavy metal and punk in my late teens, Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath, Jimmy Hendrix, AC/DC, Rory Gallagher, Queen, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Undertones etc
    What you have listed above is my kind of music. The ones I would add to that list would be Rod Stewart, Tina Turner,Men At Work even though they only had the one hit wonder Do You Come From A Land Down Under. Also the Clash and The Eagles. Great music in great times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The Beatles

Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream
    It is not dying, it is not dying
    Lay down all thoughts, surrender to the void
    It is shining, it is shining
    Yet you may see the meaning of within
    It is being, it is being

Advertisement