Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Music Did You Like Listening To As A Teenager?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

80's so there was a lot of

Duran Duran
    Talking Heads
    Dire Straits
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    The The

Pretty middle of the road I guess.

I didn't really get into the indie thing until The Cure's "Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me" and Pixies around 1987-88.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

chakotha wrote: »
    80's so there was a lot of

Duran Duran
    Talking Heads
    Dire Straits
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    The The

Pretty middle of the road I guess.

I didn't really get into the indie thing until The Cure's "Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me" and Pixies around 1987-88.

The The are very, very underrated these days. Tis a pity…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

My music collection was and still is, completely all over the shop.

My teenage years mostly covered Dre, Snoop, Eminem, Creed, The Offspring, Limp Bizkit, U2, Foos, QOTSA, Feeder.
    I had a lot of compilation albums too.

Oh and the usual dance songs for the underage discos, Gigi D'Agostino, Darude.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Libadour

I was absolutely obsessed with the Libertines and all things Pete Doherty/Carl Barat when I was a teenager. Also listened to Oasis, Stone Roses, The Smiths and raided my dads collection to listen to the Beatles, Stones etc. Middle part of my teens I played Skylarkin' by Mic Christopher on repeat. Even bought a hat exactly like his and refused to take it off for a year :o

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Some of the lyrics were very prescient.
    Armageddon days are here again

They're 5 miles high as the crow flies
    Leavin' vapour trails against a blood red sky
    Movin' in from the East toward the West
    With Balaclava helmets over their heads, yes!

But if you think that Jesus Christ is coming
    Honey you've got another thing coming
    If he ever finds out who's hi-jacked his name
    He'll cut out his heart and turn in his grave

Islam is rising
    The Christians mobilising
    The world is on its elbows and knees
    It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

It's war, she cried, It's war, she cried, this is war
    Drop your possessions, all you simple folk
    You will fight them on the beaches in your underclothes
    You will thank the good lord for raising the union jack
    You'll watch the ships out of harbour
    And the bodies come floating back

If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the C.I.A.
    Oh, the lights that now burn brightest behind stained glass
    Will cast the darkest shadows upon the human heart
    But God didn't build himself that throne
    God doesn't live in Israel or Rome
    God belong to the yankee dollar
    God doesn't plant the bombs for Hezbollah
    God doesn't even go to church
    And God won't send us down to Allah to burn
    No, God will remind us what we already know
    That the human race is about to reap what it's sown
    The world is on its elbows and knees
    It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds
    Armageddon days are here again

A bit of a doom merchant ol' Matt Johnson - great on headphones though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Irony of my early teenage years was that I thought all the current music was crap.

To be fair, the chart music was crap - Stock Aitken Waterman, Kylie, Rick Astley and all that.

So I didn't really listen to REM, Smiths, Teenage FanClub, Paul Simon, Cocteau Twins, Pixies, 10'000 Maniacs, The Replacements, The Stone Roses, The La's, The Pogues, Van Morrison and many other bands around then that put out brilliant albums.

The perceived wisdom at that time was that the best music was from the '60s; and so I listened to a lot of Doors, The Byrds, the Beatles.

Now the perceived wisdom has shifted somewhat.

One way or another, you couldn't pay me to listen to a Doors album these days, its awful tripe.

On the other hand.....the period between 1985 and 1992 must surely be the greatest ever in terms of the quality of the albums released. And yet at the time, very little of it was mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I remember hearing Westbam- Celebration Generation while on a sleepover at my friends house, cos they had mtv (think it might have been the party zone actually) when I was about 12/13 and thinking wtf is that? I had never heard anything like it. It set me on a road of loving dance/rave/hardcore, and I still love tunes to this day, although like you, my tastes have matyred.

Used to record tapes of stuff like Diztruxshon, Fantazia, Dreamscape, Helter Skelter and had rave flyers absolutely covering my bedroom walls.

Probably my favourite band then was The Prodigy, and I listened to a lot of britpop stuff as well: Oasis, Blur, Cast, Shed Seven, Ocean Colour Scene.

Used to get an eighth (of hash) between a load of us and listen to Pink Floyd, The Doors and later Beatles music, thinking we were the coolest people in the world lol

Same right down to the flyers although would have preferred N-JOI over Prodigy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Kanye West's College Dropout, Late Registration and Graduation albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Pearl Jam
    Guns n Roses
    Brit Pop
    A lot of 90's dance
    Prince

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

80s chart music as a young teenager, especially Wham! and Madonna. I would have got into Bon Jovi at around 15, and from there Guns n Roses , Metallica and rock/ metal in general. Still love it all , I'd listen to 80s music over mostly anything out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Roll on June 29th :)

Mostly blues, punk, hard rock and metal.

Still listening to these today at 46.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I find RTE Gold great for playing songs from my generation which is the 70s and 80s. The likes of of the Doobey Brothers,Bread , Kiss and Toto. Also Air Supply for the slow dance in the disco. Great music form great bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

callaway92 wrote: »
    Lot of liars in this thread I'd suspect.

In what way? Why would anyone lie? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

When I was in my early teens it was fairly heavy music, from Metallica to Nirvana, couldn't get into the harder stuff from the likes of sepultura. Then switched to the likes of the Doors, Kris Kristofferson and older music. Then after leaving school and finding drugs it was all pounding, pounding techno music. Now I don't care for music at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Big mac and fries

Dinosaur Jr, Throwing Muses and The Pixies were my 3 favourite bands at the time but the best part of the day was the Dave Fanning show, 2 hours of real music to finish off the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

73Cat wrote: »
    80s chart music as a young teenager, especially Wham! and Madonna. I would have got into Bon Jovi at around 15, and from there Guns n Roses , Metallica and rock/ metal in general. Still love it all , I'd listen to 80s music over mostly anything out there today.

100% agree. So much easier to get through the week when you have Billy Idol Cyndi Lauper and Whitesnake for company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

In my tennage years I listened to mostly UB 40, Level 42, The Jam, The Undertones aswell as Boston, George Benson and the likes of Andy Williams Dean Martin and Kool And The Gang. A wide variety of music there again you don't hear much of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I was a teenager in mid to late 80s.

Therefore, for me it was The Smiths/Morrissey, Jesus & Mary Chain, Prefab Sprout, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions (saw him in Wexford last year - magnificent), The Waterboys (This is the Sea :D), New Order, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets.

I went to a fair few gigs at the time so honorable mentions to Irish bands such as Something Happens, A House, The Stunning, The Sultans, Frank & Walters, Power of Dreams, Fat Lady Sings, Light a Big Fire and, finally, my favourite Irish band ever, That Petrol Emotion (last gig in the Tivoli in 1995(?) was emotional).

Loved going to the SFX, McGonagles, the Baggot, the Stadium (7 bands on the Up in 1989!!), sir Henrys in Cork, the Warwick in Galway and to the Boxing Club in Drogheda.

Loads more I could mention but I'd bore you all!!

Good days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,444 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

adox wrote: »
    In what way? Why would anyone lie? :confused:

The music being posted is just too perfect from every single poster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

callaway92 wrote: »
    The music being posted is just too perfect from every single poster

In fairness, Mike and the Mechanics were not always perfect, but history has washed over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I always find it funny how many teenagers pretend to like heavy metal until they grow up...

I don't know if I'd put this solely down to pretending - I think metal appeals a lot to teenagers: it's angry and intense, it has a visceral appeal that I and loads that I knew could get behind and a rebellious attitude (which was often a cynical cash grab, I know!) that I thought made it far superior to other types of music when I was a youngster. My tastes mightn't have been too sophisticated, but my love for it was real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Loved (and still love) The Carpenters, Stevie Wonder and Perry Como in my early teens due to my parents' record collection. Moved on to Oasis, Green Day and Pulp then started listening to The Doors and Radiohead. I turned 18 in '97 so there was a lot of dance music in the charts which I listen to when feeling nostalgic. In my late teens I discovered lots of new (to me) bands like Gong, Cardiacs, Sack Trick, Aphex, Boards of Canada, Autechre and Sidi Bou Said and I have loved weirdo music ever since.

Lately I'm more into singing and participating rather than simply listening and I really enjoy that buzz. The rush when I nail a song at the singing session is the same whether there's 5 or 50 people there. Music is the best.

Major shout out to Michael Jackson who I listened to for many years but not for a while now.

Kate Bush has been the most influential music/artist in my life so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

PGE1970 wrote: »
    I was a teenager in mid to late 80s.

Therefore, for me it was The Smiths/Morrissey, Jesus & Mary Chain, Prefab Sprout, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions (saw him in Wexford last year - magnificent), The Waterboys (This is the Sea :D), New Order, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets.

I went to a fair few gigs at the time so honorable mentions to Irish bands such as Something Happens, A House, The Stunning, The Sultans, Frank & Walters, Power of Dreams, Fat Lady Sings, Light a Big Fire and, finally, my favourite Irish band ever, That Petrol Emotion (last gig in the Tivoli in 1995(?) was emotional).

Loved going to the SFX, McGonagles, the Baggot, the Stadium (7 bands on the Up in 1989!!), sir Henrys in Cork, the Warwick in Galway and to the Boxing Club in Drogheda.

Loads more I could mention but I'd bore you all!!

Good days!!

Oh I envy your having seen that catalogue of Irish bands. I was a little too young to go to gigs when those bands were prominent. :(
    Making up for lost time now though! (Lloyd Cole is great live!)

My music tastes in my t(w)eens were fairly bland early on... I liked a lot of the Stock Aitken and Waterman camp, Bros etc. I used to be embarrassed to admit it but now I say what the hell. I'm still a fan of Rick Astley and saw him in Belfast a couple of weeks ago. :D

I graduated to Irish bands like those listed above, additionally Shaine, Tuesday Blue, Engine Alley and Energy Orchard (RIP Bap Kennedy).

The 1990 World Cup introduced me to the three tenors (Pavarotti etc) and I jumped off from there into opera and classical music, 1991 was the bicentennial of the death of Mozart, so there were a lot of commemorative releases to introduce people to his music. 1992 was the 250th anniversary of Handels Messiah's premiere in Dublin, so that was publicised a lot too.

I spent most of secondary school and early college years listening to classical stuff because these three events helped me to get into it and I just kept wanting more. I think I missed most of the 1995 / 1996 chart music :D:D!

I've a very eclectic taste in music now, yesterday I listened to baroque music, Cannibal Corpse, Echo and The Bunnymen and David Byrne!

The last concert I attended was a classical one in Castletown house. The next, the Stunning in Cork. Green Day, Ron Sexsmith and Ennio Morricone later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭PGE1970

"I graduated to Irish bands like those listed above, additionally Shaine, Tuesday Blue, Engine Alley and Energy Orchard (RIP Bap Kennedy)."

I forgot Tuesday Blue! Wasn't Tunnelvision their album?

Also Toasted Heretic, Microdisney/Fatima Mansions, Les Enfants (earlier 80s so a little too soon for me), The Would Bes and The Four of Us. More recently, The Whipping Boy were top notch.

I have even developed a slight nostalgic soft spot for the Sawdoctors!!

My one regret is not seeing the Smiths when they played in Ireland in 1985. I was only 15 and not allowed to go although I was allowed to see U2 in Croke Park that summer because it was after my Inter Cert! I've never forgiven my mother for that!!

Fair play to you, you've come a long way from Rick Astley!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I'm pretty sure most of these were painted on my canvas schoolbag:

All About Eve
    Ash
    Blur
    Breeders
    Jeff Buckley
    The Cult
    The Cure
    Cranes
    Curve
    Dead Can Dance
    Dead Kennedys
    Dead Milkmen
    Depeche Mode
    Dinosaur Jr
    The Doors
    Echo & the Bunnymen
    Fields of the Nephilim
    Golden Horde
    PJ Harvey
    Hole
    Jesus & Mary Chain
    Joy Division
    L7
    Lemonheads
    Lou Reed
    Mercury Rev
    Ministry
    Miranda Sex Garden
    Motherfudge
    Neds Atomic Dustbin
    Nine Inch Nails
    Nirvana
    Pixies
    Radiohead
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    REM
    Sisters of Mercy
    Smashing Pumpkins
    The Smiths
    Suede
    Sultan's of Ping FC
    Therapy?
    Toasted Heretic
    U2
    Velvet Underground
    The Wedding Present
    The Wonderstuff

My tape collection was, of course, alphabetised. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few too. Big ones that I overlooked at the time and shouldn't have were David Bowie, Chemical Brothers, and the Prodigy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

PGE1970 wrote: »
    my favourite Irish band ever, That Petrol Emotion (last gig in the Tivoli in 1995(?) was emotional).

Chemicrazy is one of my favourite all-time albums. Quality stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Any pirated cassette tape of a live gig that I bought on O'Connell Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Manic Street Preachers, Smashing Pumpkins and Faith No More stick out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Bertie was a great fan of dem, he loved a bit of de-de-de-de de-de-deh de-deh, so he did.

Advertisement