Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Music Did You Like Listening To As A Teenager?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

You've just made Dave Gahan cry...

But but variety is the spice of life. Plus I'm a bit weird when it comes to music:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Anything that featured in the pages of Kerrang or Metal Hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

You've just made Dave Gahan cry...

He wouldn't have given a ****. I got my work experience on the Devotional Tour. Dave was a troubled soul, but dedicated to a world where we all listened to music that meant something to you in any way it could.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Found a Burzum/Mayhem mixed tape at the age of 10/11 in the bottom of a bag of tapes that my father had gotten at a market or sum such.

18 years later still listening to it and still have the tape :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Nirvana
    Foo Fighters
    Eminem
    Sex Pistols
    Ramones
    Guns N Roses
    Green Day
    Pixies
    The Doors
    Metallica
    Pink Floyd
    Thin Lizzy
    Radiohead
    N.W.A.
    Public Enemy

Still listen to some of it but I've branched out and listen to a lot more genres now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

At 14-17 my schoolbag (bought in Army Bargains of course) had Twister Sister, Ozzy, Sonic Youth, Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer, WASP, Metallica, etc etc written all over it. I was obsessed with heavy rock to trash metal. Buying tapes was an expensive business but used to record songs off the old Sound Cellar radio show (I think that's what it was called). Was lucky enough to see quite a few of the above out in the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire in the mid to late 80's. Good times.

I saw WASP in the Top Hat in 1989. It was my first proper gig and I was right up the front against the railings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

We shot in Spain, France and Germany. I was a trainee camera operator at the tender age of 21! On a short tour with one great band from my teen years. I remember this one fondly. Mr Gahan was off his rocker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

That was either AC/DC's Big Balls or Accept's Balls To The Wall I'd say.

Both class tunes.

Maiden play the 3Arena in five weeks time by the way. Dust off that sleeveless denim with the backpatch of Eddie on the back :P
    Your right it was AC/DCs The Number Of The Beast was Iron Maiden.

Suas11 wrote: »
    Nirvana
    Foo Fighters
    Eminem
    Sex Pistols
    Ramones
    Guns N Roses
    Green Day
    Pixies
    The Doors
    Metallica
    Pink Floyd
    Thin Lizzy
    Radiohead
    N.W.A.
    Public Enemy

Still listen to some of it but I've branched out and listen to a lot more genres now.
    For me it was Thin Lizzy, Metallica, and Guns N Roses. You don't really hear these anymore. It seems to be all 80s pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Pearl Jam are my all-time faves... Was just out of my teens when they released Ten... But going to see Eddie Vedder in Cork :) happy buachail

His voice just blew me away.. Black from Ten, magical! Me a female: he was so bloody gorgeous too. Lucky you, indeed!

Forgot to mention Kate Bush.. hounds of love album is amazing. Morning Fog, dream of sheep I still listen to from time to time. Cloud Busting - class!

Smashing Pumpkins 1979 is another favorite song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    All that German rave stuff - marusha, rmb, ravers nature, Mark oh, meteor 7, westbam, blumchen, das modul, shahin & simon, u96, alien factory, trancemotion 2 etc.

Also some of the x mix stuff on MTV party zone back in the 1990s as well as the thunderdome gabber and the British & Scottish happy hardcore.

Tastes have moved on but i still dabble with the old stuff above from time to time.

I remember hearing Westbam- Celebration Generation while on a sleepover at my friends house, cos they had mtv (think it might have been the party zone actually) when I was about 12/13 and thinking wtf is that? I had never heard anything like it. It set me on a road of loving dance/rave/hardcore, and I still love tunes to this day, although like you, my tastes have matyred.

Used to record tapes of stuff like Diztruxshon, Fantazia, Dreamscape, Helter Skelter and had rave flyers absolutely covering my bedroom walls.

Probably my favourite band then was The Prodigy, and I listened to a lot of britpop stuff as well: Oasis, Blur, Cast, Shed Seven, Ocean Colour Scene.

Used to get an eighth (of hash) between a load of us and listen to Pink Floyd, The Doors and later Beatles music, thinking we were the coolest people in the world lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I remember hearing Westbam- Celebration Generation while on a sleepover at my friends house, cos they had mtv (think it might have been the party zone actually) when I was about 12/13 and thinking wtf is that? I had never heard anything like it. It set me on a road of loving dance/rave/hardcore, and I still love tunes to this day, although like you, my tastes have matyred.

Used to record tapes of stuff like Diztruxshon, Fantazia, Dreamscape, Helter Skelter and had rave flyers absolutely covering my bedroom walls.

Probably my favourite band then was The Prodigy, and I listened to a lot of britpop stuff as well: Oasis, Blur, Cast, Shed Seven, Ocean Colour Scene.

Used to get an eighth (of hash) between a load of us and listen to Pink Floyd, The Doors and later Beatles music, thinking we were the coolest people in the world lol

Was wondering how long before they got a mention. The first band I seen live. Still love their hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Jayop wrote: »
    Was wondering how long before they got a mention. The first band I seen live. Still love their hits.

Should have been bigger, but genuinely believe that Fowler's coming out harmed their appeal... Shameful really

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Should have been bigger, but genuinely believe that Fowler's coming out harmed their appeal... Shameful really

I was never aware that one of them had come out, let alone attributed that as a reason why they wouldn't have been bigger. Mad to think that that could be the case now, but even back 20 years ago things like this were a big deal. Look at the shameful way the tabloids went for George Michael, and continue to do so in the case of the scummy Sun after his death.

My favourite band is E.L.O the Electric Light Orchestra. They brought out some great tunes like Mr. Blue Sky, I'm Alive and Don't Bring Me Down to name but a few. Again the only song I hear on the radio is Mr. Blue Sky even on 4fm. I can't understand why there isn't more music like most of the songs and bands mentioned here. Especially outside the major cities. There was some great bands out in the 70s and 80s outside of the major pop bands and it would be great to here them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

I was 16 in late '82. Hated all the new romantic sh1te. Was probably listening to Thin Lizzy, U2, Joy Division, The Clash The Jam among others

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Between the ages of 13 and 16, I pretty much only listened to rap music. After that, I expanded into soul and dance and by 18, I'd swung into rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

If any Miley Cyrus fans are reading this. She ripped off Accept!! :mad: (4m22s).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Jayop wrote: »

They were playing in the town I grew up in in the UK, and I couldn't get the night off work to go see them (collecting glasses in a pub). Was gutted, until they walked into the pub for a pint before they headed off to play the gig. I was delighted!! Didn't have the guts to go talk to them, but they seemed really nice and down to earth!

I finally got to see them live a few years ago, pure nostalgia!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Exodus
    Metallica
    Thin Lizzy
    Rory Gallagher
    Slayer
    Megadeth
    Bon Jovi
    Guns N Roses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

As a teen I listened to The Smiths & The Cure.

I still listen to both of these great bands. Great music is timeless.

Neames wrote: »

Same with me and 2unlimited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

At 14-17 my schoolbag (bought in Army Bargains of course) had Twister Sister, Ozzy, Sonic Youth, Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer, WASP, Metallica, etc etc written all over it. I was obsessed with heavy rock to trash metal. Buying tapes was an expensive business but used to record songs off the old Sound Cellar radio show (I think that's what it was called). Was lucky enough to see quite a few of the above out in the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire in the mid to late 80's. Good times.

Pretty much the same with a little Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Nirvana thrown in.

Hell, still listen to most of that stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Outlaw Pete's list is a good summary of my listening habits. I'd add Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Testament, S.O.D, Carcass and others :)

Happy, heavy days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Pretty much the same with a little Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Nirvana thrown in.

Yup, with some Jane's Addiction, Faith No More also.
    Hell, still listen to most of that stuff now.

Same and even the kids today (puffs on pipe) listen to music of that era. When I went to Megadeath just over a year or so ago, I felt like one of the oldest there, place was packed with teenagers and early twenty somethings. Not all genres of music can boast that. Seen Simple Minds around the same time in the 3 and almost everyone there was sucking Werther's Originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yup, with some Jane's Addiction, Faith No More also.

Same and even the kids today (puffs on pipe) listen to music of that era. When I went to Megadeath just over a year or so ago, I felt like one of the oldest there, place was packed with teenagers and early twenty somethings. Not all genres of music can boast that. Seen Simple Minds around the same time in the 3 and almost everyone there was sucking Werther's Originals.

I guess heavy music will always appeal to a certain section of the youth (taps on pipe), more so than some other genres of music. And more power to it for that. I don't listen to metal all day long like I used to, but I still love it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I same as a lot of posters on here, growing up with the rock/metal bands.

Dublin had some of the best rock bands of the era visit relatively small venues. Went to numerous gigs at the SFX and Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire. How many did they hold? A couple of thousand? Bands I saw in those venues off the top of my head include:

Metallica
    Faith No More
    Dokken
    Accept
    WASP
    Def Leppard
    MSG
    Queensryche
    Danzig
    David Lee Roth
    Whitesnake
    Gary Moore
    Ozzy
    Saxon
    Dio
    Ratt

Neames wrote: »

Always thought of the Smiths as genuinely indie, brilliant artists that didn't care about mainstream, And the Cure as a mock goth glam act that thought they could sell more records by passing off their bad pop efforts as being angsty, by wearing lippy and back combing their hair. I think it was Siouxsie Sue who dismissed their lead singer as Fat Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It wasn't just the music it was album covers the music magazines that went with it

Beautiful photography iconic images interviews every word on the page devoured

If you were into a band you were really into them it took real effort but worth it

Luckily I was there to see it before it died

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Mostly 80's Hardcore which i still listen too to this day,to the uniniated it just sounds like a wall of noise with each band member playing as fast as possible,to those of us in the know it's music on another level

Advertisement