Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Music Did You Like Listening To As A Teenager?

Options
  • 03-04-2017 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭

I was looking through some old tapes and cds over the weekend most of bands I used to listen to when I was a teenager such as the Detroid Spinners, The Whispers and Taveres. These were mostly out in the 70s early 80s. So what was your favourite type of music growing up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

At 14-17 my schoolbag (bought in Army Bargains of course) had Twister Sister, Ozzy, Sonic Youth, Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer, WASP, Metallica, etc etc written all over it. I was obsessed with heavy rock to trash metal. Buying tapes was an expensive business but used to record songs off the old Sound Cellar radio show (I think that's what it was called). Was lucky enough to see quite a few of the above out in the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire in the mid to late 80's. Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Elvis with Jail House Rock
    Jerry Lee Lewis and Great Balls of Fire
    and Cliff with Living Doll

Come to mind from my early teens.

Was the usual Simple Minds, Big Country, U2 stuff in the 80s.

Always liked electronica and synth too though. And when house hit in a big way in the late 80s, everything else took a back seat. Can remember seeing 808 State on TOTP in 1989 and it was a "light bulb switched on" moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Elvis with Jail House Rock
    Jerry Lee Lewis and Great Balls of Fire
    and Cliff with Living Doll

Come to mind from my early teens.

Wow.... puts your Westlife and 1D in it's place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

At 14-17 my schoolbag (bought in Army Bargains of course) had Twister Sister, Ozzy, Sonic Youth, Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer, WASP, Metallica, etc etc written all over it. I was obsessed with heavy rock to trash metal. Buying tapes was an expensive business but used to record songs off the old Sound Cellar radio show (I think that's what it was called). Was lucky enough to see quite a few of the above out in the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire in the mid to late 80's. Good times.
    Some great heavy metal bands in that list. I remember my friend buying an Iron Maiden LP and every day after school I would go over to his house to listen to it. One song stood out for me called I've Got Big B*lls. I think it was banned from the air waves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

This album was my youth and thus spawned my love for pop-punk that is still with me today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Was the usual Simple Minds, Big Country, U2 stuff in the 80s.

Always liked electronica and synth too though. And when house hit in a big way in the late 80s, everything else took a back seat. Can remember seeing 808 State on TOTP in 1989 and it was a "light bulb switched on" moment...

Simple Minds and Big Country two great bands. I think the lead singer of Big Country died a few years ago form suicide. In a Big Country was one of my favourite songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I liked a wide variety of stuff but Smashing Pumpkins and Placebo were probably the main ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Simple Minds and Big Country two great bands. I think the lead singer of Big Country died a few years ago form suicide. In a Big Country was one of my favourite songs.

He did unfortunately, saw them some years back at the Rose of Tralee and they were still brilliant.. inxs played there also after Michael died...Band was still damn good.
    Have to add Joy Division and New Order to that list also

Some great heavy metal bands in that list. I remember my friend buying an Iron Maiden LP and every day after school I would go over to his house to listen to it. One song stood out for me called I've Got Big B*lls. I think it was banned from the air waves.

That was either AC/DC's Big Balls or Accept's Balls To The Wall I'd say.

Both class tunes.

Maiden play the 3Arena in five weeks time by the way. Dust off that sleeveless denim with the backpatch of Eddie on the back :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In large part the sort of stuff I still listen to!

New Wave, hard rock, hefty mental, a bit of prog and jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Queen, Roxy Music, Talking Heads, Boomtown Rats, Blondie and The Police.

Those were the pre-internet, pre-MTV, pre-Radio2 and pre-Network2 days. Don't know how I managed to survive at all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Queen, Roxy Music, Talking Heads, Boomtown Rats, Blondie and The Police.

Those were the pre-internet, pre-MTV, pre-Radio2 and pre-Network2 days. Don't know how I managed to survive at all :D

Pretty much SNAP... particularly Queen and The Police.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

^^

What Pete said.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Yes to Joy Division and New Order. Stone Roses too.. I loved Cocteau Twins - man their music is as fresh today.. Talking heads, The Blue Nile, Portishead.. Nirvana and Pearl Jam - both bands blew me away when I first heard them.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Mostly Pixies, swervedriver , Steely Dan and Tom Waits. In secret though I listened to a massive amount of jazz, fusion and later stax and motown. I still pretty much still listen to the same genres and artists to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Yes to Joy Division and New Order. Stone Roses too.. I loved Cocteau Twins - man their music is as fresh today.. Talking heads, The Blue Nile, Portishead.. Nirvana and Pearl Jam - both bands blew me away when I first heard them.

Pearl Jam are my all-time faves... Was just out of my teens when they released Ten... But going to see Eddie Vedder in Cork :) happy buachail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Dance, not the acid dropping stuff but more so the chart stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Started with paper lace, then sweet, horslips, Lizzie, and around 15 then discovered Floyd, Genesis, tangerine dream, then a couple of years later went mad into deep purple, Yes, and oddly the eagles and Neil young.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think you're mistaken, I'm sure that is AC/DC from Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap from 1976.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Was big into dance music when I was young and used to DJ parties and a few local discos. Went from Happy hardcore through House and Trance. Still love most of the dance music from the 90's. Other stuff was very open, from rebel songs, to country. Stone Roses to REM and the likes of the Smashing Pumpkins. Anything apart from the crappy chart stuff that was out in the 90's really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Metallica, Guns N Roses, Megadeth, L7, Hole, Melvins, Faith No More..basically anything they played in Fibbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Great thread idea:)

I'll never forget the day I found The Waterboys and Tom Waits. I did get wrapped up in the Oasis Vs Blur thing for a while but it was more the attitude than anything, and it was the only break the radios gave us from hearing Take That and Boyfriend going on about the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

My teen years? It actually started when I was only 10. New Order, Simple Minds, The Smiths and absolutley Duran Duran who are very very underrated and still selling out big venues around the world today. In Irish terms back then it was In Tua Nua, Cactus World news, Les Enfants and The Fountainhead. Those Nervous Animals from Sligo were pretty good too.

The late 80s were fooking hopeless for pop music. So much ****e across the UK with Stock Aitken and Waterman owning it all. Aslan in Ireland were a breath of fresh air. Never liked U2 and back in the late 80s/early 90s it was a fooking crime to be Irish and not like U2, but I always thought it was just insular Irish crap that expected Irish people to like them. Into the 90s I was drawn back to Irish bands like The Fat lady sings and Blink. But I was in the early 20s then.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

I did the junior cert in 97 so of course Oasis. Throw in the Smiths, Stone Roses, Beatles. I remember my love of Bob Marley started around that time as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Depeche Mode
    Def Leppard
    Guns N' Roses
    Bon Jovi
    INXS
    Roxy Music
    Bruce Springsteen
    Eurythmics
    Bananarama
    Whitesnake
    John Mellencamp
    Queen
    A-ha
    Blondie
    Meatloaf
    Madonna
    Five Star
    Dire Straits
    Prince
    Spice Girls
    Elton John
    Whitney Houston
    Bryan Adams
    UB40

Just to name a few:)

Just to name a few:)

No Sinatra??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

No Sinatra??

That goes without saying:P

Depeche Mode
    Bon Jovi
    Five Star
    Elton John
    Bryan Adams

You've just made Dave Gahan cry...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

All that German rave stuff - marusha, rmb, ravers nature, Mark oh, meteor 7, westbam, blumchen, das modul, shahin & simon, u96, alien factory, trancemotion 2 etc.

Also some of the x mix stuff on MTV party zone back in the 1990s as well as the thunderdome gabber and the British & Scottish happy hardcore.

Tastes have moved on but i still dabble with the old stuff above from time to time.

Advertisement