Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Music Did You Like Listening To As A Teenager?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sometimes I meet people who I haven't seen in ages that I grew up with who used to huge metal heads back in the day, or, as we called them - "moshers". And somewhere in the conversation I'll say, "listening to anything lately?" And the reply will often be, "I haven't listened to anything in ages." And I say, "oh....".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Sisters of Mercy, Motorhead, East 17 and Jean Michelle Jarre. I was conflicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Arghus wrote: »
    Sometimes I meet people who I haven't seen in ages that I grew up with who used to huge metal heads back in the day, or, as we called them - "moshers". And somewhere in the conversation I'll say, "listening to anything lately?" And the reply will often be, "I haven't listened to anything in ages." And I say, "oh....".

I'm fifty now(ugh)and music is still hugely important to me. Not as much as when I was a teenager/in my 20s but it's still a huge pleasure for me and quite therapeutic.

My musical tastes have broadened over the years but from playing and listening to rock and metal in my youth, that genre will always be with me.

That may all sound a little cliched but it's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

from around ten to 12/13 I was really fascinated with anything rap related N.W.A,Biggie Smalls,Big Pun ect. then when I got proper into my teens I started delving into punk and liking the sex pistols the clash and the dead kennedys ect (though I still listened to other genres). Now I basically love any music thats old. 70's/80's music is the best. I still do have a wide range in music taste though.

Mostly 80's Hardcore which i still listen too to this day,to the uniniated it just sounds like a wall of noise with each band member playing as fast as possible,to those of us in the know it's music on another level

Motorhead wannabes. Lemmy was faster. And harder. The lyrics were just an excuse to play fast guitar. When you get that, you get Motorhead. And Lemmy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Back when I was a teenager....

Bon Jovi was the gateway drug that got me into Iron Maiden, this quickly lead to Megadeth, Slayer and Metallica, got progressively heavy after that and started listening to:

Sepultura
    Napalm Death (saw Scum on BBC2, I was hooked)
    Carcass
    Sabbat
    Acid Reign
    Xentrix
    Coroner
    Death
    Venom
    Entombed
    Dismember
    Kreator
    Gorguts
    Biohazard
    Voivod
    Benediction
    Exodus
    At The Gates
    D.R.I
    Cro Mags
    Nuclear Asssault
    My Dying Bride
    Morgoth

discovered most of the above through MTV's Headbangers Ball back in the day, what a great 3 hours that was every Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

adox wrote: »
    I'm fifty now(ugh)and music is still hugely important to me. Not as much as when I was a teenager/in my 20s but it's still a huge pleasure for me and quite therapeutic.

My musical tastes have broadened over the years but from playing and listening to rock and metal in my youth, that genre will always be with me.

That may all sound a little cliched but it's the truth.

Totally get what your saying there. My musical tastes have changed a lot over the years, but that love of heaviness and some guy roaring his head of is still there and will never leave. It's something that's hard to cultivate, I think, unless you were all about it in your formative years.

And Rammstein. "Ich Will" still lights my fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

I was a huge Trance head in the late 90s then progressed to Techno and later House music. I also had a hip hop phase mainly East Coast stuff that was out at the time like Nas and Biggie. Also at one stage I was big into Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana. Once I discovered electronic music I lost interest in everything else.

Looking back that was some time for music with so many music styles happening all around the same time.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Queen and Guns N' Roses, followed afterwards by the likes of Metallica, Nirvana, Megadeth, Acid Reign, Iron Maiden, ACDC, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, Kreator, Testament, etc. Wandered into different genres through the years, like speed metal such as Sonata Arctica and Hammerfall, to Edguy, etc. Do like Rammstein too and enjoyed their Dublin gig

Will randomly take notions to listen to the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Dire Straits, Cruachan, Neil Young.

God, there's such a wide variety of fantastic music out there to listen to! Most of which isn't on mainstream radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Pink Floyd, Type O Negative, Placebo, Tool, Therapy?, My Ruin, Coal Chamber, Marilyn Manson, Dire Straits, Portishead, Korn, Garbage, Deftones, Nine Inch Nails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

When I was about 14 it was mainly Prince, Erasure, Jesus Jones, EMF and loads of dance music that was popular then but probably no one remembers now. Between the ages of about 16 to 19 I listened to mainly rap (on CD, I got my first CD player when I was 16). I listened to The Chronic by Dr Dre and The Predator by Ice Cube at least once a week. Apart from that I liked bands like Guns N' Roses and Metallica.

I wish I had kept all my CDs, tapes and records from then but I gave loads of them away. I gave all my rap CDs to my nephew and I gave all the dance music to charity shops. I sold some good Metallica records too that would cost a fair amount to buy now if I looked for them on eBay. I still have all my Erasure and Prince though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

My father used to give me £2.00 every week which I would promptly spend on a single. Between the ages of 14 to 16 I would buy at least one single every week. I hated when cassette singles came along because it got harder and harder to get 7" singles and I always preferred records. Here's some of the ones I still own. I still have loads of Madonna, Prince and Erasure too as well as a lot more Seal and EMF.
    413726.jpg

413725.jpg

413724.jpg

413723.jpg

413722.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Just as i was stepping out of my brother's shadow music wise, 1993 hit, and with it, brought all the acid house/garage/jungle and later trance a growing boy could need.

Good times.

My wife and kids are at me to get rid of the vinyl and decks... Don't make me choose, you won't like the answer. So what if they haven't been turned on in years..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,457 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden (More D'Annos crowd so first two albums Iron Maiden and Killers)
    AC/DC (most of Bonn and three albums into Johnson)
    Early Scorpions (71 - 82/83)

Enter marijuana (Sproooot ta Tooooot!)
    Hawkwind (Lemmy era and before too) Aeroplane crashes over some Status Quo riffs but Lemmy's bass pushes it into amphetamine zombie psychosis from Mars on the Space Ritual (1972/73).
    Lee Scratch Perry et all - RASTAFARI I I I I.
    Pink Floyd - Their track titles are trippy sounding aren't they, huh!
    Gong - Gangily Gwoodilly charming

Onto
    Planxty
    Christy Moore
    Bothy Band

Onto
    Aphex Twin
    Orbital
    Chemical Brothers

Fcuck where am I???????? :confused:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

I did the junior cert in 97 so of course Oasis. Throw in the Smiths, Stone Roses, Beatles. I remember my love of Bob Marley started around that time as well.

****.I did my Leaving Cert in 87 and I'd still be a big fan of all of those.Christ knows what I was listening to as a teenager. I was generally sobering up in a field and eating polo mints. Probabably Chris De Burgh, Roberta Flack, Janice Ian, Rainbow and whatever else was playing on Radio Dublin 253....Oh 253! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭4Ad

Leaving Cert in '86, listened to The Smiths, Ska/ 2Tone music and Simon and Garfunkel...
    My school books have band names on them as I used to listen to Dave Fanning and would write them down to remember them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

****.I did my Leaving Cert in 87 and I'd still be a big fan of all of those.Christ knows what I was listening to as a teenager. I was generally sobering up in a field and eating polo mints. Probabably Chris De Burgh, Roberta Flack, Janice Ian, Rainbow and whatever else was playing on Radio Dublin 253....Oh 253! :pac:

Is that Atlantic 252?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Weirdly alternated between indie/classic rock and hard house/trance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Metallica, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soudgarden, RATM

Snoop, Dre, Cypress Hill, House of Pain (jump around can fúck off but), Cube, Wu-Tang and ODB, Method Man, Raekwon, Gravediggaz, Biggie and Pac, Onyx, Funkdoobiest

I was also into the House and Trance scene a bit, used to go to The Temple Theatre and places like the Mezz, Creamfields, Redbox later.

Oasis, OCS, Pulp - I used to religiously buy Q Magazine every month, even had it on subscription at one stage, so a lot of influence from their free CDs.

Pink Floyd, The Cure, The Rolling Stones. Old Blues stuff.

Fairly eclectic tastes really, I was in a kind of "outcasts and lost souls" kind of group of lads and girls, I started secondary in 1992 and did my LC in 98 (did transition year) and my group of friends included Cureheads, very obviously gay lads, hippy chicks, longhair metallers, couple of lads into the XWorx gear, fisherman hat wearing britpop lads, pretty much the whole shebang - and this was in a working class Dublin area, we all just kind of fell in together and had a great time because there were so many of us into so many different things and nobody gave a shít and nobody would care if you arrived out some evening in black nail polish, or some baggy jeans trying to talk some gangsta from Compton, we all just embraced each other.

I really, really miss most of those guys, but as time moves on it becomes more and more difficult to maintain so many friendships.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Is that Atlantic 252?

Dusty Rhodes and the gang.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I listened to rap and soul in my teens.
    I listen to rap and soul music now.....well, I listen to lots more genres now, but mainly riggidy rap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

When I was a kid I loved all sorts of music.
    Across the whole spectrum. Everything from Phil Collins to Mike and the Mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

We got a CD player in 1996.
    I was 15. Liked listening to movie scores.
    John Williams, Horner, Morricone et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I suppose it was a bit of a hodgepodge of stuff - Stone Roses, Fugazi, NoMeansNo, The Monkees, The Beatles, Minor Threat, Mudhoney, Jesus Lizard, Chris Isaak, Us3, Crowded House and Jane's Addiction. The latter end of my teenage years drifted into the type of stuff that was coming out on Ninja Cuts and a fair bit of Drum and Bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I always find it funny how many teenagers pretend to like heavy metal until they grow up.

I grew up in the 90's so it was blur, Oasis, pulp, stereophonics, supergrass, bluetones, james etc. Listened to everything though, from jefferson airplane to Fleetwood Mac, the undertones, housemartins, stones, elo, the who, the kinks etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

I started with mostly American bands in my early teens. I got all my music from my mates older brother who was great for making me copies of tapes.

Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Faith no More, Pantera, Rage against the machine, Janes Addiction

Then really got into Zeppelin, Sabbath, Priest, ACDC

I still pretty much listen to the bands above 75% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Nin Huguen and the Huguenotes.

Tragically taken from us too soon, but the music lives on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,444 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lot of liars in this thread I'd suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hard rock, grunge and metal. Guess I'm still a teenager as I still listen to many of the same bands, and still love it

Advertisement