Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual Harassment Caught on Video

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

Sometimes people are just assholes.

Ha ha. I have a friend who is a psychologist, love discussing psychology with her. I was talking to her about this girl I was crazy about back in the day, describing how she behaved and I said it must be Narcissistic Personality Disorder, my psychologist friend diagnosed it as "Asshole Disorder".

She made her point beautifully I thought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I often see posts quoted that I never saw when reading from page 1 onward, don't know how, but I miss a few. Maybe it's not aimed at me so, apologies to the other poster if not.

Fair enough. Apologies for bringing race since it doesn't seem relevant.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Cripes you guys are really analyzing this to death.

She's abusive and ignorant, I don't think you can excuse that with mental illness.

The "not knowing what sex is", that's a non-runner, in my opinion. She's just thick and arguing in that manner, maybe she's very religious and thinks kisses are "as bad as" sex.

Filming and showing, well, these are tools we have nowadays to expose ignorant people and protect ourselves from false allegations. Big deal.

At least the filming as above means some abusive people will abort, conclude or withdraw from a situation faster, so there, that's a little something gained from it, other than entertainment on youtube.

edit : video has been reposted by someone else on youtube, tag words "crazy woman" and "Santa Monica" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I missed the video so can't comment on that but with all due respect I'm fed up living in a society that blames mental health for everything from naughty children with no manners right up along to terrorists.
    Everything is "oh don't judge, they're not well". To me that's enabling their bad and erratic behaviour. Being a horrible person isn't a mental illness, andcthere are plenty of people who battle mental illness who don't hurt others, or use their illness to disguise their sh1tty personality. Stop adding to the stigma of mental illness.

I've lived with someone with a serious mental illness and it does cause them to do and say out of character things. If that's adding to the stigma then it's the fault of people who can't have compassion for people who are acting under the influence of illnes, and tough sh** if people don't like me saying it.

Terrorists acting almost identically and with a stated motive and agenda are very different from random people acting erratically for no apparent motive. While her racist comment was obviously motivated by racism in itself the weird pop at the couple for a PDA was erratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

. I wouldn't raise a camera and start filming it myself.

I think raising a camera is absolutely the correct thing to do here. Who knows what type of false accusations could happen, and having your record of it helps you when you know you are in the right.

Putting the video on Liveleak[it's still there and is the top promoted video] or whatever video sharing sites is where the moral dilemma comes in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

The only times I've ever seen the term "Virtue signalling" used are from those of a far right, conservative stance.

It's just the modern equivalent of holier than though.

Here's a thought experiment. Imagine the woman was black. Would you be so quick to your posting about how she was typical of an Obama or Clinton supporter?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's just the modern equivalent of holier than though.

Here's a thought experiment. Imagine the woman was black. Would you be so quick to your posting about how she was typical of an Obama or Clinton supporter?

Yep. BS is BS no matter who supports it.

I'm not a Clinton supporter by the way. I think she's emblematic of everything wrong with American politics.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I missed the video so can't comment on that but with all due respect I'm fed up living in a society that blames mental health for everything from naughty children with no manners right up along to terrorists.
    Everything is "oh don't judge, they're not well". To me that's enabling their bad and erratic behaviour. Being a horrible person isn't a mental illness, andcthere are plenty of people who battle mental illness who don't hurt others, or use their illness to disguise their sh1tty personality. Stop adding to the stigma of mental illness.

At the same time, mental health issues, learning disabilities etc need proper focus. A few decades back a dyslexic or dyspraxic (which I have a mild case of*) student would be written off as lazy or useless with people willing to claim the research being done into seeing if it was something deeper was just making excuses for them.Likewise with various psychological conditions - it's also why I would be far more in favour of (humane) study of murderers, paedophiles, etc neurology than taking the 'lock them in a dungeon and forget about them' route, but that's a whole different argument again I guess.

*Very mild - I'm pretty good at football or rugby, but if you ever see me at a golf tee, playing darts or on a dancefloor move the **** out of the way because bad, bad things are about to happen! People with stronger cases of it might be have no mental deficiency (apparently dyspraxics typically exhibit above average intelligence) but literally cannot dress themselves. Academically for me it would show up in memory - I could read a 20 page chapter of a book and immediately afterwards not be able to tell you a single detail, fact or thing about what I just read.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Video is missing from here so if anyone wants the headache:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/youre-sexually-harassing-me-angry-10140201

Woman should be tarred and feathered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I've lived with someone with a serious mental illness and it does cause them to do and say out of character things. If that's adding to the stigma then it's the fault of people who can't have compassion for people who are acting under the influence of illnes, and tough sh** if people don't like me saying it.

Terrorists acting almost identically and with a stated motive and agenda are very different from random people acting erratically for no apparent motive. While her racist comment was obviously motivated by racism in itself the weird pop at the couple for a PDA was erratic.
    And I lived with someone with no history of mental illness who was extremely abusive and nasty, who acted like a rational functioning member of society with everyone else but would say and do things that would seem nuts to me. Turns out he was a bad bastard and while I'm sure people would argue oh he had to have something wrong with him, normal people don't carry on like that, you know what? Regardless of whether he does or not was not my problem.

We all have our issues. People have the right to engage and partake in civilised society without being verbally assaulted or insulted because of their race or sexual orientation. Their right to argue they may have a mental illness does not make other people's right to be left alone any less important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And I lived with someone with no history of mental illness who was extremely abusive and nasty, who acted like a rational functioning member of society with everyone else but would say and do things that would seem nuts to me. Turns out he was a bad bastard and while I'm sure people would argue oh he had to have something wrong with him, normal people don't carry on like that, you know what? Regardless of whether he does or not was not my problem.

We all have our issues. People have the right to engage and partake in civilised society without being verbally assaulted or insulted because of their race or sexual orientation. Their right to argue they may have a mental illness does not make other people's right to be left alone any less important.
    Well yeah, I had intended to finish that post with "She could of course, just be an a**hole". I'll go ahead and blame the dyspraxia for forgetting! :D

If that's adding to the stigma then it's the fault of people who can't have compassion for people who are acting under the influence of illnes, and tough sh** if people don't like me saying it.

Billy86 wrote: »
    At the same time, mental health issues, learning disabilities etc need proper focus.

Yeah, right, fair enough about all that, but when you're just waiting in a queue to be served, and some random crazy bint starts abusing you, I don't think anyone should be expected to act all nicey-nicey in case she has a mental illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Video is missing from here so if anyone wants the headache:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/youre-sexually-harassing-me-angry-10140201

Woman should be tarred and feathered.

Santa Monica - LA county. 22% votes for trump.

So the person you lived with was well able to control himself when he knew he would be noticed. Unlike the woman in the video. That's the point. That's possibly the difference between a nasty personality and an illness. And I didn't at any point say mental illness means leave people off to it, and that you have to put up with any of their behaviour, I said the opposite. Dismissing it as the actions of a nasty person means nothing will get done unless the law can act on it.

It's only when someone say hang on, this behaviour is a problem, needs to be assessed, that ll people get treatment. An extreme example is the killer of Imelda Riney, her son and the priest. He was a well known loose canon but nobody seems to have said , time to get this guy some intervention.
    Yeah, right, fair enough about all that, but when you're just waiting in a queue to be served, and some random crazy bint starts abusing you, I don't think anyone should be expected to act all nicey-nicey in case she has a mental illness.

Nobody said act nicey nicey.I said she might need to be assessed and not to leave people like her off to cause trouble in society, untreated, if they need treatment.

Dragging the ass out of it rather than ignoring her or calling the police or management is a bit stupid, as the possibility that she could be unhinged should've occurred to them.

So the person you lived with was well able to control himself when he knew he would be noticed. Unlike the woman in the video. That's the point. That's possibly the difference between a nasty personality and an illness. And I didn't at any point say mental illness means leave people off to it, and that you have to put up with any of their behaviour, I said the opposite. Dismissing it as the actions of a nasty person means nothing will get done unless the law can act on it.

It's only when someone say hang on, this behaviour is a problem, needs to be assessed, that ll people get treatment. An extreme example is the killer of Imelda Riney, her son and the priest. He was a well known loose canon but nobody seems to have said , time to get this guy some intervention.

Nobody said act nicey nicey.I said she might need to be assessed and not to leave people like her off to cause trouble in society, untreated, if they need treatment.

I've just watched the video. She knew well what she was doing, throughout her rant she accused them of having sex, then on the phone she reports them as almost having sex. TBH that's a classic example of an ugly woman attacking a better looking woman. Whore, slut and prostitute? Sounds like she was just enraged that the woman had a guy. Where was his abuse? Pretty standard on a night out that the uglier of women try slutshame the women who tend to do better than they do, though not to that extreme. Too bad someone didn't knock her out

Edit: do you honestly believe a complete stranger should have to put up with that abuse lest they offend a potentially mental ill person? No, they don't.

Dragging the ass out of it rather than ignoring her or calling the police or management is a bit stupid, as the possibility that she could be unhinged should've occurred to them.

As far as I can make out the police were called, so really after that, her mental health shouldn't be any concern of these people waiting in queue.
    Your man was right to keep filming as things were starting to get physical towards the end, and this person, mental illness or not, was likely to give a very twisted version of events to the police, had it evolved into physical assault.

It's not really dragging the a$s out of the situation.

And publishing it on Youtube ? Yeah, maybe not the nicest thing to do, but something that is now part of our lives. The good like the bad get posted. It may prevent some bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Yes it is. Anytime anyone disagrees with them they trot this turkey out before whining that noone is engaging with them. The double standard is amazing. If this person was foreign, there'd be calls for her to be deported but because she's white, it must be because of mental health issues.

No, just no. I'm one of the people who thought there was something a bit off about her mentally and I'm no xenophobe or racist, thanks.
    I missed the video so...

...the rest of your post can be disregarded. How can you possibly comment on it? Ah, as an excuse to have a rant and I see you squeezed in your hobby-horse, unruly children. Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Tumblr not even once

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I have a sore head after watching that. The woman is just a nasty sh1t, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

It was when she saw the Salad Dressing, she realised that something sexual was going down

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

......... wrote: »
    This is just some woman with classic mental health issues who needs help . . . the people talking the video and provoking her are mentally not much better.

This video was rightly removed by youtube, as it violated their bullying and harassment policy.

Having watched it I would think that the people holding the camera were the ones being bullied and harassed as were the staff given the verbal tirade she vomited upon everyone around her.
    I would think the reason for turning on the camera was more for their own protection in the event of it escalating further and the Police being involved, which she threatened to call, or pretended to anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

What struck me most was how little the staff did to stop it.

In fairness, any customer facing role I've ever been in you wouldn't allow a customer to be abused like that.

He actually then gives her the food!

I've just watched the video. She knew well what she was doing, throughout her rant she accused them of having sex, then on the phone she reports them as almost having sex. TBH that's a classic example of an ugly woman attacking a better looking woman. Whore, slut and prostitute? Sounds like she was just enraged that the woman had a guy. Where was his abuse? Pretty standard on a night out that the uglier of women try slutshame the women who tend to do better than they do, though not to that extreme. Too bad someone didn't knock her out

Edit: do you honestly believe a complete stranger should have to put up with that abuse lest they offend a potentially mental ill person? No, they don't.

Where is his abuse? I didn't say anything about any of the men in the video. If you mean the killer of Imelda Riney, I don't know anything about abuse in his case, either..

'' do you honestly believe a complete stranger should have to put up with that abuse lest they offend a potentially mental ill person? No, they don't.''

I didn't say they do. Two posters have repeatedly assumed I am saying that and I never did.

When someone who looks or sounds a bit weird comes up to you with a weird comment in the street, the advice I was always given is to not even make eye contact and keep walking, Basically, not to engage at all with them. The couple and manager in the video did almost the opposite to that.

I didn't say they were wrong to video it either, I said if I had to video it for evidence I'd have done it differently. If for evidence, why didn't the couple state for the record rather than conversing with the ranting woman..I find that strange.

I'm well aware insecure women can have a bit of a vendetta against better looking women. It's not unusual. I don't think they go off on an hysterical rant in public about sex and name calling, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

pilly wrote: »

In fairness, any customer facing role I've ever been in you wouldn't allow a customer to be abused like that.

I think they just didn't know how to handle it and just wanted her out the door, and the sooner the better.

He just kept flutering around and engaging every time she repeated her nonsense. Really incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Totally! The staff could have easily had her removed.

__Alex__ wrote: »
    No, just no. I'm one of the people who thought there was something a bit off about her mentally and I'm no xenophobe or racist, thanks.

...the rest of your post can be disregarded. How can you possibly comment on it? Ah, as an excuse to have a rant and I see you squeezed in your hobby-horse, unruly children. Kudos.
    Can I use the fact I may be mentally ill as an excuse for my offensive rant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

__Alex__ wrote:
    Totally! The staff could have easily had her removed.

In fact had she assaulted one of the couple the restaurant would have been to blame for not stopping the situation.

I don't think it's a case of them not knowing what to do. I think it's a case of them enjoying it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

She could have woken up and had a bottle of whiskey for all we know.

I'm not that concerned about drunkenness, the point I am making is that hysteria and overreaction and nonsense is something you hear. I wouldn't raise a camera and start filming it myself. No more than I would if I saw a fight, a car accident or whatever.

They were dead right to film it. Who knows what kind of crackpot allegations she could have made against them and what they'd have to go through to clear their name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That guy showed a lot of restraint. It was terrible what that dragon was saying about his partner.

As a guy, it's a tough situation as you can't really protect yourself with a mad woman like that - what do you do? She needs a slap, but you can't be the one to deliver the neccesary.

Advertisement