Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual Harassment Caught on Video

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

To be honest I am always highly sceptical with people videoing stuff like this and putting it on Youtube.

1. You never get the full story, you get what suits the person videoing.

2. I always find it preferable to keep my mouth shut in front of someone who may be "unstable". The guy in the video does not keep his mouth shut.

3. Most people have some psychological affliction of one type or another. This woman almost certainly has one. Is that a reason to make fun and goad? I'm not sure. This only antagonises and is designed to illicit a reaction that some guy can put on Youtube to truly screw with someone.

Whilst the evidence of the video seems obvious I would say people should be aware that all may not be what it seems in videos like this.

It felt a bit off to me, watching it. Clearly she's crazy but none of them seemed interested in setting the record straight and I was left confused. If that was me on the recieving end of her rant and I felt I had to record it for evidence I'd make sure I stated my side of the story and I wouldn't be dragging it out and almost seeming to enjoy her carry on. And the lad she insulted about his race, or his girlfriend's race, went up to her and shoved her. His girlfriend went and intervened, but not a word was said about that here. Is it an acceptable free for all when people get tired of the mad ramblings of a mentally ill woman? I'm assuming mental illness since she didn't seem at all rational, she was having a rage reaction and doesn't seem to understand what intercourse involves. Is it a case of she deserved whatever she got? What if he'd landed a punch?

They shouldn't have engaged with her and dragged it out. And using it as a dig at people who voted this way or that is a bit cheap and a bit of a stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

__Alex__ wrote: »
    Mortified for the people who thanked the above-quoted post. But interesting to note, all the same!

What's interesting to me is the assumption that about 50% of American voters are like this woman whatever it is she did (the video is now taken down).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

eviltwin wrote: »
    My husband showed me the clip last night, thought it was hilarious. All I saw was someone possibly with a mental health issues. Not a nice experience for the couple involved or anyone else there but when did recording stuff like this become the acceptable reaction.

If you're going to make a spectacle of yourself in public and are willing to pretend to be the victim of a crime in order to compel someone to do something they don't want to do then this is fair game IMO.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 29,032 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If you're going to make a spectacle of yourself in public and are willing to pretend to be the victim of a crime in order to compel someone to do something they don't want to do then this is fair game IMO.

what if you have a very complex mental health issue and/or behavioural problems?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what if you have a very complex mental health issue and/or behavioural problems?

What if you're just some controlling bigot who'll use any means at your disposal to try to coerce people?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Wanderer78 wrote: »

That's not a defense against this woman.
    She should be locked up for her own protection. She needs serious medical help.

Ah now, it was an ugly incident...but jail? I think she should be told to go home and sleep it off. The racism (or xenophobia) is the most objectionable aspect, before that it was stupid hysteria, overreaction and name calling.

I think she needs some kind of psychiatric intervention to see if she needs treatment. I don't agree with letting people like that off to run around causing scenes and endangering themselves. She obviously can't conduct herself in society for some reason. Laughing at her and virtue signalling abut what a nasty backwards racist she is, although she is one, is just vapid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Sometimes​ people are just assholes.

I think she needs some kind of psychiatric intervention to see if she needs treatment. I don't agree with letting people like that off to run around causing scenes and endangering themselves. She obviously can't conduct herself in society for some reason. Laughing at her and virtue signalling abut what a nasty backwards racist she is, although she is one, is just vapid.

Calling someone out for being vile isn't virtue signalling.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Ah now, it was an ugly incident...but jail? I think she should be told to go home and sleep it off. The racism (or xenophobia) is the most objectionable aspect, before that it was stupid hysteria, overreaction and name calling.
    I meant locked up in a mental hospital. Not jail.
    Although a week or two might help her cop herself on.

I meant locked up in a mental hospital. Not jail.
    Although a week or two might help her cop herself on.

Again, hardly. I'd say in any post pub chipper in the country you'll hear abuse and drunk people getting ridiculously entrenched in hysterical positions, and articulating rambling nonsense that doesn't stand up to much scrutiny, and even engaging in a "go back to where you came from"...I suspect a fair few workers in Ireland have heard that one from people after a few pints. It's very ugly, it's objectionable, but per se it's not grounds for committal to any institution.

Sometimes​ people are just assholes.

I agree but her demeanour suggests she was unhinged. She doesn't know what sex is!
    Calling someone out for being vile isn't virtue signalling.

If it's as empty as this, for a laugh and a look-how-heinous-some-people-are and with no interest in whether she was in her right mind, I think it is. It was also aimed at Trump supporters.
    Again, hardly. I'd say in any post pub chipper in the country you'll hear abuse and drunk people getting ridiculously entrenched in hysterical positions, and articulating rambling nonsense that doesn't stand up to much scrutiny, and even engaging in a "go back to where you came from"...I suspect a fair few workers in Ireland have heard that one from people after a few pints. It's very ugly, it's objectionable, but per se it's not grounds for committal to any institution.

True but it was daytime, as far as I could tell. Probably lunchtime. It's not as if spirits were high in the deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I agree but her demeanour suggests she was unhinged. She doesn't know what sex is!

If it's as empty as this, for a laugh and a look-how-heinous-some-people-are and with no interest in whether she was in her right mind, I think it is. It was also aimed at Trump supporters.

True but it was daytime, as far as I could tell. Probably lunchtime. It's not as if spirits were high in the deli.

Just because she was crazy doesn't mean she's got psychiatric issues. There are people who just overreact. Having a horrible personality isn't a personality disorder.

Grayson wrote: »
    Just because she was crazy doesn't mean she's got psychiatric issues. There are people who just overreact. Having a horrible personality isn't a personality disorder.

Crazy means having psychiatric issues!

We can't know for certain but there's a chance she needs treatment in order to function within the parameters of society. When someone behaves extremely then it at least warrants an investigation. That would rule out illnesses if she's just a nasty person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This is true, but in said chipper most (if not all) people involved would be under the influence of an intoxicating, conscious altering drug so it's a fair bit different.

Nobody should take this as an argument against a few gargles!! :o

It's a concept made up by far right wingers so they can moan about being oppressed and dismiss arguments they don't like.

H. H. Asquith

Billy86 wrote: »
    This is true, but in said chipper most (if not all) people involved would be under the influence of an intoxicating, conscious altering drug so it's a fair bit different.

Nobody should take this as an argument against a few gargles!! :o

She could have woken up and had a bottle of whiskey for all we know.

I'm not that concerned about drunkenness, the point I am making is that hysteria and overreaction and nonsense is something you hear. I wouldn't raise a camera and start filming it myself. No more than I would if I saw a fight, a car accident or whatever.

It's a concept made up by far right wingers so they can moan about being oppressed and dismiss arguments they don't like.

It might be used by them for that but it isn't about that. It just means making a point of being righteous. In a particular instance, only. Not a description of someone's character.

It might be used by them for that but it isn't about that. It just means making a point of being righteous. In a particular instance, only. Not a description of someone's character.

Yes it is. Anytime anyone disagrees with them they trot this turkey out before whining that noone is engaging with them. The double standard is amazing. If this person was foreign, there'd be calls for her to be deported but because she's white, it must be because of mental health issues.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I would say it is more likely that she is fully aware what sex is but decided to exaggerate because she felt it would support her argument. Whether that was done out of mental illness or general assholery is up for debate, but having worked in public facing jobs either in retail, sales or customer service through most of my 20s (thankfully managed to move my career into something I'm more interested in in recent years) I've seen this an awful lot.

People who are very worked up about something have a weird tendency to push their claims further and further and further if they feel their initial argument is not being taken seriously. It strikes me as quite likely what happened here - nobody was supporting her argument about a couple kissing, so she escalated it to them literally having sex right in front of her. As soon as she was put on the phone to the manager, she began to backpedal immediately to them being "about to have sex".
    I have re-iterated the reason I mentioned her likely being a Trump supporter was to pre-empt the "PC culture gone mad!!" posts that regularly come in from people who have not watched the video in question, and at no point in the OP said anything related to Trump supporters as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Crazy means having psychiatric issues!

We can't know for certain but there's a chance she needs treatment in order to function within the parameters of society. When someone behaves extremely then it at least warrants an investigation. That would rule out illnesses if she's just a nasty person.

Crazy doesn't always mean psychiatric issues. That way my point. It can be used to describe unusual behaviour but it doesn't mean psychiatric issues.

Yes it is. Anytime anyone disagrees with them they trot this turkey out before whining that noone is engaging with them. The double standard is amazing. If this person was foreign, there'd be calls for her to be deported but because she's white, it must be because of mental health issues.

I think that's aimed at me I see no-one else raising mental health. It has feck all to do with her skin colour, that is absurd. She's behaving like she's not right in the head. Ignoring that suggests an agenda more than anything.
    Right wing, left wing, nothing to do with this topic whatsoever.

This is true, though to be fair taking a glance most of the people who brought up mental health issues on this specific thread (though not all) would in my estimation do the same in the event of it being a middle eastern person in the white woman's shoes. Mind you, we might also have a few different posters doing their best to get involved and steer the conversation in a different direction, though again to be clear as I feel some are taking that comment of mine out of context, I wasn't making a point at equating all Trump supporters with this woman.

I would say it is more likely that she is fully aware what sex is but decided to exaggerate because she felt it would support her argument. Whether that was done out of mental illness or general assholery is up for debate, but having worked in public facing jobs either in retail, sales or customer service through most of my 20s (thankfully managed to move my career into something I'm more interested in in recent years) I've seen this an awful lot.

People who are very worked up about something have a weird tendency to push their claims further and further and further if they feel their initial argument is not being taken seriously. It strikes me as quite likely what happened here - nobody was supporting her argument about a couple kissing, so she escalated it to them literally having sex right in front of her. As soon as she was put on the phone to the manager, she began to backpedal immediately to them being "about to have sex".

I have re-iterated the reason I mentioned her likely being a Trump supporter was to pre-empt the "PC culture gone mad!!" posts that regularly come in from people who have not watched the video in question, and at no point in the OP said anything related to Trump supporters as a whole.

This is all speculation, without sitting with her and assessing her. Fair enough r.e your reasons for the Trump bit.

All of those behaviours are irrational. Since when was irrational behaviour part of simply being a nasty person? Someone in control of themselves who is an a*****e is more likely to be cunning about how they pick on people, imo.

I think that's aimed at me I see no-one else raising mental health.
    Several people brought up mental health, to be fair.
    I don't disagree but I am fully aware of the incredible personal damage a video like this could do to someone who may very well be mentally distressed as it is.
    None of us know what is going on in that person's life.
    __Alex__ wrote: »
    I have to admit, I'm not super into people filming others like this, it's an passive-aggressive act and the subject for the video seems like she might have mental problems so I'm not sure if it's entirely fair.
    eviltwin wrote: »
    All I saw was someone possibly with a mental health issues.
    Conor74 also liked several of these posts while the pen turner brought up institutionalisation as a possibility. Plenty of people have mentioned mental health.

I think that's aimed at me I see no-one else raising mental health. It has feck all to do with her skin colour, that is absurd. She's behaving like she's not right in the head. Ignoring that suggests an agenda more than anything.

The only times I've ever seen the term "Virtue signalling" used are from those of a far right, conservative stance.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I missed the video so can't comment on that but with all due respect I'm fed up living in a society that blames mental health for everything from naughty children with no manners right up along to terrorists.
    Everything is "oh don't judge, they're not well". To me that's enabling their bad and erratic behaviour. Being a horrible person isn't a mental illness, andcthere are plenty of people who battle mental illness who don't hurt others, or use their illness to disguise their sh1tty personality. Stop adding to the stigma of mental illness.

This is all speculation, without sitting with her and assessing her. Fair enough r.e your reasons for the Trump bit.

All of those behaviours are irrational. Since when was irrational behaviour part of simply being a nasty person? Someone in control of themselves who is an a*****e is more likely to be cunning about how they pick on people, imo.
    True also, it was very late last night when I saw the video and reposted it quite quickly so the mental health aspect didn't cross my sleepy mind. It is a fairly strong possibility, as is her just being a highly unpleasant person in a bad mood. I think what set off red flags in my mind was her asking for her money back exactly four seconds after getting her food with zero intention of giving the food back in return - I've seen that type of move all too often, and it tends to immediately lower my opinion of someone (if she had said "here's my food back, I want a refund" that would be a different kettle of fish).

• Advertisement

Several people brought up mental health, to be fair.

Conor74 also liked several of these posts while the pen turner brought up institutionalisation as a possibility. Plenty of people have mentioned mental health.

I often see posts quoted that I never saw when reading from page 1 onward, don't know how, but I miss a few. Maybe it's not aimed at me so, apologies to the other poster if not.

Advertisement