Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Start of the 8th: Houston down by 6
    End of the 8th: Houston up by 5

(and they add another 3 for good luck in the 9th).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Harper banned for four games. Strickland banned for six. I wish the MLB had thrown the book at Strickland and sent a message that players meeting out frontier justice would no longer be tolerated

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

ShyMets wrote: »
    Harper banned for four games. Strickland banned for six. I wish the MLB had thrown the book at Strickland and sent a message that players meeting out frontier justice would no longer be tolerated
    He deserves something thrown at him for sure.

Dodgers playing some good stuff at the moment. Swept the Cubs, and now won 2 in a row in St. Louis

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Doogs27

Fair f**ks to Harper. Nothing would have been done about it if he just took first. These boys get away with murder throwing rockets at batters. Easy enough to do it when they know all they're giving up is a free base. My only regret is that strickland got a paw on Harper when he came out first.

• Advertisement

At least there's a bit of karma for the Giants with Michael Morse going on the DL with a concussion he got in the brawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

At least there's a bit of karma for the Giants with Michael Morse going on the DL with a concussion he got in the brawl.

And he got it from Jeff Samardzija (Giants pitcher).

Edit: Actually looking at the replays, Morse was trying to break up the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Edinson Volquez no-hits the Diamondbacks on what would have been his friend Yordano Ventura's 26th birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Can someone please explain what we're seeing with the Astros??

Can someone please explain what we're seeing with the Astros??

Years of tanking paying off?

• Advertisement

Years of tanking paying off?

Is it just that though.. They look as strong as the Cubs did last year.. Solid all round team who's even getting production from their 7-9 hitters.

Is it just that though.. They look as strong as the Cubs did last year.. Solid all round team who's even getting production from their 7-9 hitters.

Yeah I was being a bit simplistic. It's not as straightforward as just tanking.

They have been building slowly for years now and I think 2 years ago SI had a cover saying "Astros - the 2018 World Series Champions" or something so people recognised what they were building to back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Astros last best chance was 1986. Good luck to them, they haven't won it all yet.

Dodgers playing some good stuff at the moment. Swept the Cubs, and now won 2 in a row in St. Louis

Totally jinxed them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Yeah I was being a bit simplistic. It's not as straightforward as just tanking.

They have been building slowly for years now and I think 2 years ago SI had a cover saying "Astros - the 2018 World Series Champions" or something so people recognised what they were building to back then.

The astros have made alot of trades in the last 5 years. The cover SI your talking about was for 2017 actually I think and could be spot on. Luhnow has made a serious amount of adjustments there. They are getting production from everywhere in the line up but I wouldnt go announcing them WS champs just yet. A lot of baseball to be played yet this year, the Cubs could still come back around, the Nationals are also rolling and have a serious line up as well.

Going to be an interesting year.

It's probably been on all season but I've only noticed it now but BT/ESPN are showing MLB Network's 'Intentional Talk' show. It's decent enough. It's yesterday's show that's on now so recorded before last night's games.

In other news, looking forward to Kershaw v Strasburg at 8pm tonight. Hopefully it'll live up to the hype.

In other news, looking forward to Kershaw v Strasburg at 8pm tonight. Hopefully it'll live up to the hype.
    ...remembering the "Harvey's Better" chant game back a few years.. .sigh what a sad year to root for the Mets. So many.

Igotadose wrote: »
    ...remembering the "Harvey's Better" chant game back a few years.. .sigh what a sad year to root for the Mets. So many.

Pitching gone from top 5 in the league to bottom 5 in the space of about 2 months. Has any other team ever had such a drop?

Strasburg's great at getting ahead. I think he has thrown a first pitch strike to every hitter so far.

Strasburg's great at getting ahead. I think he has thrown a first pitch strike to every hitter so far.

That was a very enjoyable game. Some great pitching by both starters. Strasburg just seemed to run out of gas in the 7th.

• Advertisement

That was a very enjoyable game. Some great pitching by both starters. Strasburg just seemed to run out of gas in the 7th.

I think Dave Roberts said it after the game, but Kershaw dragging an 8th pitch at bat from Strasburg, followed up by the next hitter having a 7 pitch at bat seemed to impact Strasburg

I think Dave Roberts said it after the game, but Kershaw dragging an 8th pitch at bat from Strasburg, followed up by the next hitter having a 7 pitch at bat seemed to impact Strasburg

Yeah, the commentators said it at the time too and they were full of praise for Kershaw when he finally made the out.

Still, the 1-2 of Scherzer/Strasburg is going to be very hard to beat in the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Doogs27

Yeah, the commentators said it at the time too and they were full of praise for Kershaw when he finally made the out.

Still, the 1-2 of Scherzer/Strasburg is going to be very hard to beat in the playoffs.

Missed it but I saw Kershaw coming back to the dugout and there were pats on the back aplenty for him, I thought for a second he was after going deep or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Nice for return for Matz last night. The Mets rotation needs all the help it can get right now

ShyMets wrote: »
    Nice for return for Matz last night. The Mets rotation needs all the help it can get right now

And Cespedes! Now to bring up Rosario and put waddles the shortstop on the bench.

So I'm a little excited about the Yankees this year.. Small bit worried about Tanaka so wouldn't be surprised if they added pitching

So I'm a little excited about the Yankees this year.. Small bit worried about Tanaka so wouldn't be surprised if they added pitching

That was some hitting performance last night.

Igotadose wrote: »
    And Cespedes! Now to bring up Rosario and put waddles the shortstop on the bench.

I watched both games yesterday (sad, I know) and the defence from both teams was appalling. I've never seen the baseball equivalent of Sunday morning football but I'd say it was similar to some of fielding from both teams yesterday. The Mets were better in Game 2 but the Braves were awful in both.

It's annoying that Reyes is still getting game time and TJ Rivera gets sent down today (after a PH HR) and they don't look in any rush to bring up Rosario so we're stuck with old man Cabrera at SS. It's past the Super 2 date so they've no excuse really for leaving him in Las Vegas. I did read that some of the players have been sticking up for Reyes and don't want him DFAd but he's been awful all year and needs to be taken off the roster.

It's past the Super 2 date so they've no excuse really for leaving him in Las Vegas. I did read that some of the players have been sticking up for Reyes and don't want him DFAd but he's been awful all year and needs to be taken off the roster.
    Has that date been announced? I too thought it had passed, but read a report in the NY Daily News that it hadn't. I guess MLB plays it 'close to the vest.'

Regardless, demoting Rivera was dumb with Reyes neither fielding nor hitting particularly well. Flores should be full-time at 3rd base spelled on occasion by Cabrera, who may simply be hurting and we don't know. Still is hitting a bit. Give Rosario a shot, bring back Rivera if Rosario can't hit in MLB.

At least they've sent Tyler Pill down, yet another junkballer. Not sure why Martinez is still with the team. And, with Cespedes back, once he can play full time in the field, if I were Granderson I'd be worried, too. His terrible arm cost them that game 2 nights ago and he's not hitting either. Might be done, Lagares is hitting enough and saves runs.

• Advertisement

That was some hitting performance last night.

Started today's game where they left off too.. 5 runs in the 1st

Advertisement