Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Feherty is an arsehole.

Glad he sees himself as American now rather than Irish/Northern Irish.

He is just a circus act, I watched him interview Laura Davies, and he came out with that, I'm an American, I wonder is that where McDowell got his ridiculous accent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm disappointed they didn't have a camera in the Sky studio to show the two lads' reaction to the siren going off for the weather delay, they must've been sickened :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

I do like Rich Beem but the Sky commentators need to lay off the adulation every time he comes on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Degag wrote: »
    I do like Rich Beem but the Sky commentators need to lay off the adulation every time he comes on screen.

Ah to be fair, it was a quality pitch shot he hit in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Rikand wrote: »

Ah yeah, in general i mean.

• Advertisement

Rich Beem battled away yesterday and was level after 16, but bogeyed 8&9, to finish +2, ahead of some big names, (McIlroy, Thomas, Dustin), despite Coltart sneering and hoping he wouldnt break 80, I got a great laugh during the masters, when Coltart said we all know about the slopes and gradient of this Augusta national course, and Beem replied, "How do you know? You never played here" I think there's a bit of needle between them two sometimes, nothing too serious but it shows up from time to time. It's a really tough course, the winning score may be around - 7 or 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Rich Beem battled away yesterday and was level after 16, but bogeyed 8&9, to finish +2, ahead of some big names, (McIlroy, Thomas, Dustin), despite Coltart sneering and hoping he wouldnt break 80, I got a great laugh during the masters, when Coltart said we all know about the slopes and gradient of this Augusta national course, and Beem replied, "How do you know? You never played here" I think there's a bit of needle between them two sometimes, nothing too serious but it shows up from time to time. It's a really tough course, the winning score may be around - 7 or 8.

Surely Coltart has played a media day at Augusta? I think a bit of banter like that is good though.

etxp wrote: »
    Surely Coltart has played a media day at Augusta? I think a bit of banter like that is good though.
    He probably has, but it was just a well timed dig at him, Coltart is not too bad, except for fancying whoever is leading the tournament. He must like the chances of Corey Connors this week. At the last 8 stage of the world matchplay he tipped up Rahm, who was knocked out by Scheffler, then he went against Scheffler in the semi final, and when he was asked who he fancied for the final, he said, "Well I fancied Scheffler all week, and I see no reason to change my opinion" also he is a cheerleader for all the sky brits, poults fleety Hatton and Westwood, whoever is doing best of them 4, all the cliches come out

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

etxp wrote: »

There's a fair bit of banter between them alright, including Dougherty. Coltart and Dougherty in particular have a chip on their shoulder about not succeeding more in their playing careers. McGinley rises above it, but this week he has been basking in the World Cup win in 97 at Kiawah with Harro. In fairness last night McGinley said that Harro put on a short game exhibition that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Trampas

Degag wrote: »

Would you say the same if it was rte and talking about any of the Irish players. Beemer holding his own for a player who doesn’t play much competitively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Rikand wrote: »
    He's actually playing very well for somebody who doesn't play that much. Harrington also going well. It's great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,519 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Degag wrote:
    Ah yeah, in general i mean.
    He's their colleague and pal, I can understand then going overboard a out him.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Faxon is an interesting addition..not taking any of Dougherty's bull**** on the mechanics of putting.

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Faxon is an interesting addition..not taking any of Dougherty's bull**** on the mechanics of putting.
    Faxon was a top class putter, and Dougherty is a top class spoofer, the one who should be listening in that exchange was doing the talking

Faxon is excellent, great addition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I can’t watch golf anymore for any length of time.

The amount of ads/**** talk has ruined it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Faxon is excellent, great addition

just said rory is a grinder

bull****. ya can tell how hes playing by how he walks down fairway. gets down too quickly and then compounds the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Penalty

Coverage tonight has been very poor - constantly showing the same players.

With the coverage you would think there’s only 6 players in the course.

Don’t remember it ever being this bad.

Yeah seems to be getting worse all the time. I like to see the leaders and unless it's a big name you see very little of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's funny in the context of the OP but I think McGinley talks some amount of bollocks

• Advertisement

They're showing way too much of JT, who's outside the cutline, and nowhere near enough of Louis, who's actually leading

Maybe I don't have a sense of humour but I don't really see what's so hilarious or entertaining about the tall lad stretching on the range, or why it's been shown several times :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Maybe I don't have a sense of humour but I don't really see what's so hilarious or entertaining about the tall lad stretching on the range, or why it's been shown several times :confused:

Coverage is very bad to be honest. You'd swear there was about 6 golfers out there

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Penalty

They're showing way too much of JT, who's outside the cutline, and nowhere near enough of Louis, who's actually leading

It’s getting ridiculous now JT is 7 over and we are looking at every shot while the don’t bother to show Louis out of the bunker at 17

lawred2 wrote:
    It's funny in the context of the OP but I think McGinley talks some amount of bollocks
    I think he's been excellent this week and I'm not a big fan of his.

Penalty wrote: »
    It’s getting ridiculous now JT is 7 over and we are looking at every shot while the don’t bother to show Louis out of the bunker at 17
    But JT is an American hero and he was grinding despite not having his best stuff. This is the usual commentary speak for he's playing like a high handicapper. They won't be showing him tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭GillLebowski

In fairness, they did show most players who were relying on shots to make the cut, and with Thomas being the biggest of those names he got more time. And I'm guessing Rory, Brooks and JT were a featured group again?

I understand it's Sky and stuff... But more than any of the other things bothering me. Why did they show Casey so much? I'm guessing it's because he's English as my guess that when he finished they'd start showing Westwood and the rest became true...

I like Robert Mcintyre but Christ almighty Sky go overboard on the hype for him.

In the last 10 minutes Dougherty said he could be as good as Monty or Lyle and Radar said he's one of the best putters he's ever seen.

This is the same Mcintyre that has won one tournament, a micky mouse gimmicky one in Cyprus last year.

He's also 73rd in strokes gained putting on the European Tour this season. The same Euro tour that's had probably its weakest ever fields over the last year.

McIntyre is massively talented, I call him the next Mickelson seeing as he's a lefty and very aggressive on the course. He's got all the shots, only a matter of time until he's top ten in the world.
    And I'm Irish and I don't like the Sky commentary for the most part.

• Advertisement

I have no doubt McIntyre is talented, and maybe he'll make the top 10 some day, however with the way Sky hype him up it's as if he's had a career similar to someone like Hovland (who's not even top 10 yet himself).

He's done nothing of note so far apart from draw with a woefully out of form DJ at the matchplay. Last week at the British Masters Sky had awarded him the title after 2 rounds and he promptly filled his togs on the weekend.

Advertisement