Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Long delay at the memorial

Surely the sensible thing to do is show some of the US women's Open?

Nope

Instead we get Dougherty, Radar and Hennie discussing whether McIlroy changes nappies

I'd agree. Incidentally, sky used to show the LPGA on their YouTube channel, this hasn't happened as of late.
    Which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    I'd agree. Incidentally, sky used to show the LPGA on their YouTube channel, this hasn't happened as of late.
    Which is disappointing.

They did end up showing it instead of the Memorial eventually, but only after about 2 hours of inane chitchat.

I agree they should have it as an option on YouTube at the very least, or even the red button if that's still a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

They did end up showing it instead of the Memorial eventually, but only after about 2 hours of inane chitchat.

I agree they should have it as an option on YouTube at the very least, or even the red button if that's still a thing.

Maybe they couldn't show it due to rights

Does Hennie always have to ask about the players' kids??

Every bloody time. Seriously who cares?

Hopeless interviewer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

McGinley mention no. 1 of the stimpmeter has been done.

Expect many more mentions of it but also mentions of how Bryson will attempt use his Maths and Science to overcome them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Does Hennie always have to ask about the players' kids??

Every bloody time. Seriously who cares?

Hopeless interviewer

She really is poor.

Has absolutely no natural interview skills...conversation between her and players is always so laboured and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭boccy23

Every time I was watching yesterday, it was a putting fest being shown. Was this the coverage all day?

I was watching the football instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just had a quick look at the app looks very good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

"He doesn't look like he's enjoying himself" has to be one of the laziest commentary lines in golf.

Who's going to look like they're enjoying themselves when they're outside the cut mark playing ****e?

No prizes for guessing it was Dougherty that said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Anyone else having trouble with the coverage where the commentary is well ahead of the pictures ?

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble with the coverage where the commentary is well ahead of the pictures ?

There's definitely an issue with Faxon's commentary, which is strange considering McGinley is also at the golf course and his audio seems ok.

They've had over a year to sort the audio issues yet they keep cropping up, Butch's audio during the Masters was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

There's definitely an issue with Faxon's commentary, which is strange considering McGinley is also at the golf course and his audio seems ok.

They've had over a year to sort the audio issues yet they keep cropping up, Butch's audio during the Masters was the same.

Hmmmm...not so sure I agree with that

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Hmmmm...not so sure I agree with that

Seemed out of sync again last night at times

Dougherty just came out with the following:

"I doubt there'll be a time when Brooks doesn't shout fore again"

I assume he is referring to the time his drive hit that poor woman at the Ryder Cup in Paris.

Somebody should tell Nick that Brooks did shout fore at the time.

What a clueless, horrible comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Dougherty just came out with the following:

"I doubt there'll be a time when Brooks doesn't shout fore again"

I assume he is referring to the time his drive hit that poor woman at the Ryder Cup in Paris.

Somebody should tell Nick that Brooks did shout fore at the time.

What a clueless, horrible comment.

That is not what he was referring to at all, Koepka highlighted the fact that Bryson doesnt shout fore as one of the reasons he is bad for the game, Dougherty was merely saying that as a result Koepka will be pretty much obliged to shout fore everytime.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    That is not what he was referring to at all, Koepka highlighted the fact that Bryson doesnt shout fore as one of the reasons he is bad for the game, Dougherty was merely saying that as a result Koepka will be pretty much obliged to shout fore everytime.

Ah well that's fair enough, and with that I've just fallen from my high horse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Seemed out of sync again last night at times

McGinley is usually out of sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ah here, this Bryce Brooks split screen thing is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Niall Kearney is tied fifth with 5 other players, there are 4 tied for the lead at the BMW International Open. RTÉ reckon he’s second, do they have actual sports journalists?

"The 33-year-old carded six birdies after completing 16 holes at the Golfclub Munchen Eichenried in Germany to share second place with four others, one stroke behind the leaders."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/results/golf/european-tour/15309/bmw-international-open-871011/

Nice to see Josh Antmann from the Sky sports golf podcast doing the interviews for Sky. I don't think he's ever been on TV before yet he's already 100 times better than Hennie Koyack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Trampas

Mc ginley enters the box and goes Rahm under pressure to make the cut. He was level par. Not like he was on wrong side of cut line

Dougherty: "We've yet to see those Spieth-like putts today"

He's 6 under for his last 8 holes!

Another gem from Nick 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

But we haven't tbf, needs the one on the last

He holed plenty to be fair, maybe not from 30 feet but loads of 12-15 footers, just thought it was an odd thing to say

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ewen Murray and those rehearsed lines. You can tell he has been sitting on that "A Royal Performance" line for a while. Every major he has a rehearsed line for the Sky ads/montages.

McGinley not giving Morikawa much credit there, saying it was a "professional" performance. The guy is 24 and just coasted to the title on his debut!

If McIntyre had done that the lads would've probably passed out with excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

"the lads would've probably passed out with excitement"

We could have only hoped 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Ah the Sky lads really love 'Bob' don't they? Dougherty was distraught when he went OB on the 14th.

I had to laugh at McGinley wearing a heavy looking sleeveless fleece during the wrap-up. He must be spending too much time in Florida.

Funniest moment for me over the weekend was when Dougherty introduced Faldo to the commentary booth: 'Welcome Sir Nick' to which Faldo replied: 'Thanks little Nick.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I find Nick Faldo a bit annoying tbh. Its all "when I was at my peak I would do such and such a drill'. I doubt anyone really cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Nick seemed to be getting a bit emotional when they were standing in the long grass after the win, saying “this is our major”, while speaking to an American (Beem) and an Irishman (Mc Ginley).

i bet they didn’t like Morrikawa referring to it as the British Open in his speech.

Advertisement