Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I gave up on the sky coverage when they brought virtual Rory into the studio. I heard virtual Rory shot 63 yesterday and leads by 4 shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Sky are literally 10 minutes behind the live scoring. Why is there such a delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Nick D is unbearable, can't stand when he's on. He's either trying to be as profound as possible making out as if he's commenting on the Berlin Wall coming down or else some **** gag about his co com.

spiderdan wrote: »
    Nick D is unbearable, can't stand when he's on. He's either trying to be as profound as possible making out as if he's commenting on the Berlin Wall coming down or else some **** gag about his co com.

Coltart is worse, he fancys Matsuyama now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Didnt know it was on Eir. Just switched over.

I remember when Sergio Garcia got married and Ewan Murray just wouldn't let it go. Every round, every decent shot, he had to get it in. "He's in a great place in his life".

John Rahm seems to be his new plaything. The last year or so he kept on repeating how impressive he is as a man. It was ****ing weird. Maybe he was there for the conception of the child :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Sky comms, please spare us the talking up of the 'contest' for the rest of the Matsuyama victory procession round.:rolleyes:

Sky were giving it the large one about the entire of Japan coming to a standstill for the golf. It was 3am when it started ffs. The whole coverage is just full of **** talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Disgraceful that there is no live free to air coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm hoping for two things on the back 9:

1. Someone to make a run at Matsuyama
    2. Nick Dougherty to lose his voice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

They are really building up Rob MacIntyre for big things as if he is up there contending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

Watching it on CBS. Faldo, Jim Nantz, Dottie Pepper, Frank Nobilo and a few others. Presentation is quite good compared to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Butch Harmon yesterday kept calling Zalatolis a kid.

"this young kid"

You'd expect him to ask "whats your favourite humming noise?" next.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,561 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

AOH77A wrote: »
    Watching it on CBS. Faldo, Jim Nantz, Dottie Pepper, Frank Nobilo and a few others. Presentation is quite good compared to Sky.

Coverage on CBS is miles better.

Showing alot more shots, the sound isnt drowned out and the commentators are probably at the tournament instead of commenting down a telephone line.
    Skys coverage has gone to the dogs over the last few years.

I think Sky only have one person at the course. CBS have people at all of the holes. So they can call everything going on. Sky should have ceded and just used the US Coverage for one year at least. But they couldn't bring themselves to do it. They needed Ewan Murray to spew his cringey pre-written line for the winning putt to throw into the Sky Ad Montage.

And as also mentioned, they have the crowd....sorry Patron :D and player noise turned down. There was a theory during the last masters that they didn't want to pjck up the players swearing. They get very pissy over bad language at sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I don't really understand why they have Beem on the course when he can't actually follow the players? He should be doing the main commentary the whole time

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

That stupid, irritating laugh of Butch.
    He is a humourless, childish man who constantly laughs at his own very unfunny comments.
    He is the classic pub bore.
    Sky needs a complete clean-out of Golf commentators. They have become an incestuous group of grovelling sycophants. They are obsequious beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

They needed Ewan Murray to spew his cringey pre-written line for the winning putt to throw into the Sky Ad Montage.

I thoguht his delivery could have been better! :D

I don't really understand why they have Beem on the course when he can't actually follow the players? He should be doing the main commentary the whole time

Might show up the rest of them, he actually won the pga in 2002, contrast that to nick Doherty coltart and McGinley who wouldn't win one if they played one every week for 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

They are really building up Rob MacIntyre for big things as if he is up there contending.

He’s playing in his first Masters and finished just outside top 10. He’s British, the channel is British. Not sure what you’re expecting to happen. Can you imagine if it was on RTÉ and it was a young Irish pro in his first Masters?

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Butch Harmon yesterday kept calling Zalatolis a kid.

"this young kid"

You'd expect him to ask "whats your favourite humming noise?" next.

Butch is 78, in golf years that's about 160.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Great having Butch back on the coverage. So much knowledge about Augusta and the game in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,661 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Butch is 78, in golf years that's about 160.
    I'm 51 and I'd call Zalatoris a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

lostatsea wrote: »
    That stupid, irritating laugh of Butch.
    He is a humourless, childish man who constantly laughs at his own very unfunny comments.
    He is the classic pub bore.
    I thought he was up to high doh this tournament, way more than usual. I wonder has he had a brush with mortality or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

fullstop wrote: »
    He’s playing in his first Masters and finished just outside top 10. He’s British, the channel is British. Not sure what you’re expecting to happen. Can you imagine if it was on RTÉ and it was a young Irish pro in his first Masters?

Yeah if RTE did it, it would be equally as cringe-worthy. Then again, I should be used to the English bias with Sky- their fawning of every small thing Kane does in the soccer is eye-opening.

But in fairness they were creating a narrative around MacIntyre that no-one really cares about. 'He has a great future in the game' I heard at one stage. I'll believe it when I see it. Beef Johnson was their pet a few years ago sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Sky were giving it the large one about the entire of Japan coming to a standstill for the golf. It was 3am when it started ffs. The whole coverage is just full of **** talk.

You don't know much about Japan.

eagle eye wrote: »

You might call him a kid but you wouldn't keep calling him "this kid" every time he's featured or takes a shot.

It was either "this young man" or "this young kid" on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

eagle eye wrote: »

Isn’t he?
    I said it the other night to a few lads
    I thought he is in Transition year and out on a work experience week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

Trying to sound interesting for several hours, for several days, must be difficult in fairness. I'd give the commentators a bit of leeway on that score. And it was probably the dullest Masters in memory.

Beyond that, I think Butch's day is probably done. Offered very little of substance. Just the usual 'young man, great swing' blarney. When he basically admitted he didn't know who Robert MacIntyre was on Thursday or Friday, that was enough for me. Peter Alliss hadn't a scooby about some of the players in his latter years commentating either. Real credibility buster. Literally one day of prep on all the participants in the field would give you enough info to get by. MacIntyre apparently still plays (or did so until recently) Shinty in Scotland. You'd find that in 20 seconds with a google search. And can you imagine all the interesting info Butch actually has, his Dad winning Masters in '48. He could give you chapter and verse about the history of Augusta I'm sure, good and bad. All of that stuff is off limits of course so instead it's the 'that young man has a nice swing, he'll go a long way' spiel.

Nick Dougherty is tough to listen to as well, if it's not the 'Mr Palmer' and 'Arnie's place' guff on a regular week it's ratcheting up the fawning and sycophantic comments throughout a major. I could easily live without him.

And McGinley, jeez, he comes across fine in interviews where trained journalists extract interesting anecdotes and theories from him. He doesn't seem to know himself how to give anything of interest bar stats and hackneyed comments like 'Rory should have pointy elbows'. It's like he has a 'safe' button he presses each time just before going on air, for fear of possibly offending anyone at all. He was supposedly a serious joker and messer in earlier years.

Beem and Radar are an antidote to all of the above. At the very least, they don't seem to be acting or putting on a show.

Bgiraffe wrote: »
    Trying to sound interesting for several hours, for several days, must be difficult in fairness. I'd give the commentators a bit of leeway on that score. And it was probably the dullest Masters in memory.

Beyond that, I think Butch's day is probably done. Offered very little of substance. Just the usual 'young man, great swing' blarney. When he basically admitted he didn't know who Robert MacIntyre was on Thursday or Friday, that was enough for me. Peter Alliss hadn't a scooby about some of the players in his latter years commentating either. Real credibility buster. Literally one day of prep on all the participants in the field would give you enough info to get by. MacIntyre apparently still plays (or did so until recently) Shinty in Scotland. You'd find that in 20 seconds with a google search. And can you imagine all the interesting info Butch actually has, his Dad winning Masters in '48. He could give you chapter and verse about the history of Augusta I'm sure, good and bad. All of that stuff is off limits of course so instead it's the 'that young man has a nice swing, he'll go a long way' spiel.

Nick Dougherty is tough to listen to as well, if it's not the 'Mr Palmer' and 'Arnie's place' guff on a regular week it's ratcheting up the fawning and sycophantic comments throughout a major. I could easily live without him.

And McGinley, jeez, he comes across fine in interviews where trained journalists extract interesting anecdotes and theories from him. He doesn't seem to know himself how to give anything of interest bar stats and hackneyed comments like 'Rory should have pointy elbows'. It's like he has a 'safe' button he presses each time just before going on air, for fear of possibly offending anyone at all. He was supposedly a serious joker and messer in earlier years.

Beem and Radar are an antidote to all of the above. At the very least, they don't seem to be acting or putting on a show.

I wish commentators realised they don't have to comment on every single shot.

If a player hits the green and leaves a relatively simple 2 putt from 20 feet they don't need to make a comment like "and that's a solid shot, a chance of a birdie for Mickelson"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I wish commentators realised they don't have to comment on every single shot.

If a player hits the green and leaves a relatively simple 2 putt from 20 feet they don't need to make a comment like "and that's a solid shot, a chance of a birdie for Mickelson"

Come on like, by definition that is their job.

Just watching golf in silence - would do my head in.

Advertisement