Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I have no doubt McIntyre is talented, and maybe he'll make the top 10 some day, however with the way Sky hype him up it's as if he's had a career similar to someone like Hovland (who's not even top 10 yet himself).

He's done nothing of note so far apart from draw with a woefully out of form DJ at the matchplay. Last week at the British Masters Sky had awarded him the title after 2 rounds and he promptly filled his togs on the weekend.
    They awarded him the title, and said he will challenge for majors, starting with this one, last year they awarded a tournament in South Africa to Wilco Neinaber, that young skinny fella who hits it miles, they also gave him a masters green jacket. An hour later he was hacking around in the rough, and lost to JB Hansen. Last year in Scotland Tommy Fleetwood won the Scottish open, before losing to Aaron Rai. They are always at that carry on

Heinni would want to add a few different questions to her repatoire

Especially if sky continue to make us watch interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Heinni would want to add a few different questions to her repatoire

Especially if sky continue to make us watch interviews

Pretty much every golf interview is completely pointless imo. They're all the exact same and add nothing to the coverage. I like to hear from the winners on Sunday but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

I agree with the comments that the coverage is piss poor and destroying an exciting tournament on a great course. One bonus is that Butch is not there this week - otherwise, the coverage would be unbearable. Ewan mentioned Butch on Thursday and how he misses his wonderful phrase of 'Yes sir' - Butch is certainly no Beckett or Yeats!

I'm sorry but Hennie is a terrible interviewer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I'm sorry but Hennie is a terrible interviewer

She's desperate. Almost sounds like she's afraid her own questions are stupid before she finishes asking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think he's been excellent this week and I'm not a big fan of his.
    He seems to have a direct line to the mocker gods though. You could bet your house on a player making a hames of his shot if Paul decides that now is the time to extol his brilliance at the type of shot he's about to attempt. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Trampas

She's desperate. Almost sounds like she's afraid her own questions are stupid before she finishes asking them.

Did she not leave to literally a full time reporter with Woods? I guess with him out of action the golf channel had to find something for her to do and get a few quid from sky for changing a mic probably is easy money.

Trampas wrote: »
    Did she not leave to literally a full time reporter with Woods? I guess with him out of action the golf channel had to find something for her to do and get a few quid from sky for changing a mic probably is easy money.

She did, she was headhunted by GolfTV in the states I think. God only knows why. The interview with Phil last night was painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

Sky have really turned me off Bob Macintyre in recent months. Constantly talking about him as being up their with the best when he still has everything to prove. Rave about his putting when he's actually a bang average putter as pros go.

Seems like a nice chap but they really are overselling him.

How much do they pay the US TV cameras to show his every shot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Neewollah wrote: »
    Sky have really turned me off Bob Macintyre in recent months. Constantly talking about him as being up their with the best when he still has everything to prove. Rave about his putting when he's actually a bang average putter as pros go.

I think them even calling him Bob the whole time is kinda annoying - He himself doesn’t seem to go by Bob but they treat him like some sort of a goofball of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

More social commentary from sky, I think we need more white NBA players, and more Chinese NFL players, they are underrepresented, wonder how the golf is going

"And now back to our all white male commentary team"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

More social commentary from sky, I think we need more white NBA players, and more Chinese NFL players, they are underrepresented, wonder how the golf is going

They've spent the last 15 minutes lecturing their audience. A box ticker presenter speaking to us about privilege as we sit at home locked up and have to pay to listen to this guff and watch her butcher another interview later on.

ligerdub wrote: »
    They've spent the last 15 minutes lecturing their audience. A box ticker presenter speaking to us about privilege as we sit at home locked up and have to pay to listen to this guff and watch her butcher another interview later on.

She came across extremely condescending, which was unnecessary imo regardless of the importance of the message

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I turn on the TV hoping to watch some golf and instead there's a long. rambling, cliche laden lecture from Henni Koyack about diversity, white males, slaves and inclusion and so on. Terrible stuff.

Then there was the shaming of anyone who just wants to play/watch golf and doesn't want to get involved with activisim - according to Henni it is about
    "humanity not politics".:rolleyes:

Apex fallacy on display here too. Most CEOs are white therefore white males are privileged, conveniently forgetting that the vast majority of white males have similar struggles in their lives as anyone else. Similarly, I can't rock up to Pine Valley or Augusta and demand a tee time on the basis of being white and having a penis - or maybe some think that I can?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I turn on the TV hoping to watch some golf and instead there's a long. rambling, cliche laden lecture from Henni Koyack about diversity, white males, slaves and inclusion and so on. Terrible stuff.

Then there was the shaming of anyone who just wants to play/watch golf and doesn't want to get involved with activisim - according to Henni it is about
    "humanity not politics".:rolleyes:

Apex fallacy on display here too. Most CEOs are white therefore white males are privileged, conveniently forgetting that the vast majority of white males have similar struggles in their lives as anyone else. Similarly, I can't rock up to Pine Valley or Augusta and demand a tee time on the basis of being white and having a penis - or maybe some think that I can?

Seriously wise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Seriously wise up.

Maybe you should wise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Has McGinley mentioned his column last week in the Sunday times where he said he simply couldn’t see an American winning at Kiawah island, he suggested that it had to a European as they were well accustomed to the windy nature of the course. He even said the top of the leaderboard would be choc a block with Europeans. Well it’s windy over there but not much sign of Europe’s finest. If spoofing 5h1te was an Olympic sport, With McGinley we’d be guaranteed a medal.

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Has McGinley mentioned his column last week in the Sunday times where he said he simply couldn’t see an American winning at Kiawah island, he suggested that it had to a European as they were well accustomed to the windy nature of the course. He even said the top of the leaderboard would be choc a block with Europeans. Well it’s windy over there but not much sign of Europe’s finest. If spoofing 5h1te was an Olympic sport, With McGinley we’d be guaranteed a medal.

Don’t worry. If someone questioned him on it he would 100% have some hyperbolic response as an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Neewollah wrote: »

I said the exact same thing after the Masters, and it hasn't abated since.

It's....odd. I will wager that he'll have no better a career than Beefy Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

callaway92 wrote: »
    Don’t worry. If someone questioned him on it he would 100% have some hyperbolic response as an excuse.

"Brooks starting on the European Tour has really helped him, of course I still couldn't have picked him for Europe the time I captained Europe to Ryder Cup victory...And then there's 3 or 4 South Africans up there and they're basically European when it comes to golf but not when it comes to the Ryder Cup of course... And Phil is just Phil, it reminds me of Tom Watson performance in Turnbury in 09, coincidentally I beat Tom 5 years later in the Ryder Cup"

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

I said the exact same thing after the Masters, and it hasn't abated since.

It's....odd. I will wager that he'll have no better a career than Beefy Johnson.

I won't take that wager as I reckon you could well be right!!!

PARlance wrote: »
    "Brooks starting on the European Tour has really helped him, of course I still couldn't have picked him for Europe the time I captained Europe to Ryder Cup victory...And then there's 3 or 4 South Africans up there and they're basically European when it comes to golf but not when it comes to the Ryder Cup of course... And Phil is just Phil, it reminds me of Tom Watson performance in Turnbury in 09, coincidentally I beat Tom 5 years later in the Ryder Cup"

Hahaha yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

McGinley has just put the mockers on two players in quick succession. Sungjae Im "Having a great day today" - second shot goes straight in the river even as Paul is talking up his game. Before that he talked Louis Oosthuizen into coming up short of the green. It's uncanny.

Pretty much every golf interview is completely pointless imo. They're all the exact same and add nothing to the coverage. I like to hear from the winners on Sunday but that's it.

*Harrington the obvious exception to this

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Good man Paul, managed to tie Phil's win into his own college career in the first breath.

When Mcintyre was playing on Thursday Dougherty called him "the best left hander in the world at the moment"

An unfortunate week to come out with that one

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Dougherty was having awful trouble getting his tongue around the word Kiawah and all those vowels. Some times it was Kee-wer Island seemed to be the best he could manage.

• Advertisement

Long delay at the memorial

Surely the sensible thing to do is show some of the US women's Open?

Nope

Instead we get Dougherty, Radar and Hennie discussing whether McIlroy changes nappies

Advertisement