Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

I find Murray insufferable these days, revels in clichés and the trite and inane.

Very relaxing voice though. I am no golf expert so maybe that’s why I like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭bamayang

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I wish commentators realised they don't have to comment on every single shot.

If a player hits the green and leaves a relatively simple 2 putt from 20 feet they don't need to make a comment like "and that's a solid shot, a chance of a birdie for Mickelson"

I agree. Snooker is the same, could be nothing said for 2 minutes in older coverage and it works well.
    Probably going to see 500 similar shots in the course of a days golf, don’t have to try think of something original for every one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Very relaxing voice though. I am no golf expert so maybe that’s why I like him.

Yes and that's why he's popular. I used to enjoy listening to him too, but after twenty plus years - when he's coming out with the exact same phrasing over and over, it can grate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

But in fairness they were creating a narrative around MacIntyre that no-one really cares about. 'He has a great future in the game' I heard at one stage. I'll believe it when I see it. Beef Johnson was their pet a few years ago sure.
    Just because you don’t care does not mean no-one cares. If that was Paul Dunne doing that 5 years ago everyone on here would be creaming themselves about it, so why would that be any different for the Scottish and Bob? When was the last time they produced a top player? 20+ years probably.

He’ll most likely be playing in the Ryder cup this year. Did Beef play in the Ryder cup, or is that a false equivalence?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Bbc 4 tonight

Peter Allis night

On now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Might show up the rest of them, he actually won the pga in 2002, contrast that to nick Doherty coltart and McGinley who wouldn't win one if they played one every week for 30 years

I dont like McGinley as a commentator but he was arguably as good a player as Beem, USPGA or nay.

3 consecutive, winning Ryder Cups, unbeaten in the singles (including a v fine scalp in Stewart Cink in 04, who himself demolished Garcia at the K Club 2 years later) and qualified outright for all 3 - that takes some doing in anybody's book. Never won a lot but neither did Beemer. Granted the American played on the more competitive PGA Tour but had McGinley ever chosen to base himself in the US, who's to say how much better he couldve been. A really consistent player for many years in Europe; he may even be a little underrated imo.

I dont like McGinley as a commentator but he was arguably as good a player as Beem, USPGA or nay.

3 consecutive, winning Ryder Cups, unbeaten in the singles (including a v fine scalp in Stewart Cink in 04, who himself demolished Garcia at the K Club 2 years later) and qualified outright for all 3 - that takes some doing in anybody's book. Never won a lot but neither did Beemer. Granted the American played on the more competitive PGA Tour but had McGinley ever chosen to base himself in the US, who's to say how much better he couldve been. A really consistent player for many years in Europe; he may even be a little underrated imo.

Come on Beemer held off a charging 2002 Tiger to win a Major, that puts him on a whole other level to McGinley!

Paul was a bit of a journeyman who upped his game in the Ryder Cup and managed to hole a winning putt. His biggest most valuable skill was probably his interpersonal ones that managed to negotiate himself the Ryder Cup captaincy and take his profile to another level.

He is without doubt the least skilled golfer ever to be a Ryder Cup captain and that's not unfair, it's entirely objective. Major winners were passed over for his captaincy, and that may not be a bad thing in and of itself, and he was undoubtedly a good choice and did a good job.

Fair play to him, he made the best of his talents and through his likeability and networking skills behind the scenes he has made a very good living for himself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭GillLebowski

Couldn't get any coverage apart from Sky Sports... I forgot to post this at the time, but if I hear it mentioned once more that Matsuyama used to have a longer pause at the top of his swing I think I might have to mute it. This also goes for the shouts of "Attaboy Rosey" too...

Come on Beemer held off a charging 2002 Tiger to win a Major, that puts him on a whole other level to McGinley!

Paul was a bit of a journeyman who upped his game in the Ryder Cup and managed to hole a winning putt. His biggest most valuable skill was probably his interpersonal ones that managed to negotiate himself the Ryder Cup captaincy and take his profile to another level.

He is without doubt the least skilled golfer ever to be a Ryder Cup captain and that's not unfair, it's entirely objective. Major winners were passed over for his captaincy, and that may not be a bad thing in and of itself, and he was undoubtedly a good choice and did a good job.

Fair play to him, he made the best of his talents and through his likeability and networking skills behind the scenes he has made a very good living for himself too.

Yeah, Beem played well in '02 and managed to hold off Tiger, even if Woods had essentially shot himself out of the tournament before that 4 consecutive birdie finish. But it was just 1 tournament! Shaun Micheel won a major with Woods in the field. So did Todd Hamilton. Are they better than McGinley too? I dont believe so.

Beemer was a bit of a journeyman himself if I recall..played a lot of golf on the mini tours before getting onto the PGA Tour, where he burned bright for a year or two before fading away.

McGinley's status as Ryder Cup captain and even his performance within the tournament doesnt really matter imo - making the team in the first place is what's impressive. Doing it 3 times is really impressive. Woods himself has a very average record in the RC, but, except in cases where he was injured, he hasnt missed one since 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Have to say I enjoy Dougherty, Colthart, McGinley, Radar & Beem on sky. You don’t need to be a multiple major champion to make a good commentator. Gary Murphy and Peter Lawrie always provide good insights when they are in podcast/radio too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Sky European coverage is on with Richard Boxhall talking about grub, he's caught out a bit by the golf questions though. Boxy is looking forward to Spain next week for the paella

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Sky European coverage is on with Richard Boxhall talking about grub, he's caught out a bit by the golf questions though. Boxy is looking forward to Spain next week for the paella

Are the commentators back at the venues as up to now they've been in a studio in England?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Are the commentators back at the venues as up to now they've been in a studio in England?

They are this week anyway, Anthony Wall is on course, Boxhall and Tim Barter are on commentary and that little Incy Mehmet is carrying a microphone 4 times the size of her for on course interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Bbc 4 tonight

Peter Allis night

On now

Was an excellent show and a great insight into the legend. Without doubt in my mind as was also said by nearly everyone interviewed, he was one of the greatest commentators of any sports....... ever.

I didn’t understand why he got a bit of a hard time for his commentary on Van De Velde. I thought he got it spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

I'm watching the American network coverage of the Quail Hollow tournament. The commentary is clearly superior to Sky - no Butch laughing at his own jokes ('atta boy' and 'I love this kid' nonsense), no corporate-speak from McGinley, no Ewan with his sycophantic utterances... Faldo, Baker Finch and Dottie are superb. They bring their knowledge of the game to their commentary. As a viewing experience, it helps to make the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

lostatsea wrote: »
    I'm watching the American network coverage of the Quail Hollow tournament. The commentary is clearly superior to Sky - no Butch laughing at his own jokes ('atta boy' and 'I love this kid' nonsense), no corporate-speak from McGinley, no Ewan with his sycophantic utterances... Faldo, Baker Finch and Dottie are superb. They bring their knowledge of the game to their commentary. As a viewing experience, it helps to make the tournament.

Faldo is a woeful commentor, I have no clue how he's kept his role on CBS for so long. Dottie Pepper is bang average, adds very little to the coverage for me.

I do like Baker Finch though. Nobilo is good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Faldo is a woeful commentor, I have no clue how he's kept his role on CBS for so long. Dottie Pepper is bang average, adds very little to the coverage for me.

I know Faldo can be a little irritating. But his knowledge of the game is superb. He is constantly telling viewers little things about the golf swing which I find invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I know Faldo can be a little irritating. But his knowledge of the game is superb. He is constantly telling viewers little things about the golf swing which I find invaluable.

In fairness to Faldo he's had by far the best career out of any commentator so at least he can back up whatever he says as he's been there and done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Totally.

Little nuggets here and there makes me think "yes that makes perfect sense". The comment about Rory's hook on the last and his shoulders was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’d rather the CBS crew (Faldo aside because he’s the biggest asshole I’ve ever come across) to Coltart, that muppet McGinley and the world’s worst Wayne Riley. Sky need to switch things up big time. Ewan Murray is fantastic, his voice will forever be associated with the golden age of Woods for me but the rest are awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,660 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Faldo is probably the best golf commentator at the minute. Always says it straight, from explaining how a mistake happened and criticizing bad decisions to applauding good decisions and explaining what makes certain holes difficult he is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Ewen Murray is just as knowledgeable about the mechanics of the golf swing as Faldo for me.

If you don't like Murray...you don't like golf. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I like that Faldo doesn't go overboard on praise for absolutely everything he sees. For the Sky commentators absolutely everything is amazing, incredible, fantastic. They have yet to catch on that greenside bunker shots are for the most part quite easy for the pros and continue to talk up the difficulty of fairly bog-standard shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Much prefer the american coverage with Nick and Amanda.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,054 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It is night and day better.

Don’t like Faldo the person but his inside knowledge is super.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,054 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ewen Murray is just as knowledgeable about the mechanics of the golf swing as Faldo for me.

If you don't like Murray...you don't like golf. :D

His tut tutting is a bore at this stage. Too many “oh dears or greater tournament ever” vibe off him

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WWEfansince90s

It was such a breath of fresh air not having to endure the likes of Riley, Coltart etc who actively ruin the coverage.

The CBS commentators are so superior. I remember early in the season I tried seeing if it was possible to get the CBS stream online and tune it into the tv but unfortunately it’s not.

I watched the Masters on Eir Sports so as not to have the Sky commentators but we’ll be stuck with the Sky guys for the PGA it appears.

Cant stand Faldo. Every sentence, no matter what point he's trying to make, dissolves into incoherent cockneyisms and nothingness by the time he's finished. How anyone let him near a commentary box after his opening ceremony speech at the 08 Ryder Cup is quite beyond me. The US has an inferiority complex when it comes to the British, that has to be the only reason he's lasted as long as he has. Nobody knows what he's talking about but the US fans must think he's being quaint; whichever it is, Emperor Faldo hasnt had any clothes on for a long time now and he'll be found out sooner or later.

Nantz is far far more sycophantic than Ewen Murray. Been working at CBS for 30 years and has never criticised a player once within that period. I dont care if that is the main part of his job, that's just unsettling for a sports broadcaster.

I agree Dottie Pepper is superb on the course. IBF is a solid pro. Azinger is woeful. Hicks only marginally better than Nantz. Maltbie and North are both good.

Familiarity certainly breeds contempt when it comes to golf commentators anyway.

I always liked the NBC team with Miller and Feherty. NBC is by far the best network for sport when it comes to production values and commentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Feherty is an arsehole.

Glad he sees himself as American now rather than Irish/Northern Irish.

Advertisement