Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    And I don't think we've ever seen a CPO much cheaper than that*. GBP30k for a CPO car with AP1 is a steal in my book

*apart from the one time of course :o :pac:

I’m not sure if it dropped further.
    It started at 30,300 and dropped 200 every night at 11pm. It then took a 300 drop to 29,600 and at 1045 I checked it and at 1115 it was gone so I never got to see if it dropped on the final night.

It was a decent car if a little basic but the 2 year CPO was worth it alone.

*obviously taking into account this one time at band camp, this guy stole a Tesla from Tesla and all they took was loose change :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

One guy on the call did say vat + import duty. I was feeding a 2 year old at the time, so didn't give my full attention.

Richard (model 3 YouTube guy) looks to be joining them. Bit of youth, good bit of knowledge.
    They need a bit more than that though.
    I was a member of the committee for a while, they were like a bunch of headless chickens. Its the same with any badly run voluntary organization. Too many chiefs, not enough indians. No defined structure, responsibility.

Anyway, to move away from that tangent. As it stands, it is import duty and vat from 1-1-21 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    As it stands, it is import duty and vat from 1-1-21 onwards.

Basically making any EV import well over 30% more expensive than it is now (provided GBP will keep its value against EUR, this remains to be seen)

Wonder how that would impact on the value of used Model S here in Ireland. There really still are very few of them. I reckon mine is the only one in the whole of the Lucan / Adamstown area, total population a good 60-70k I'd say

And demand for them is rising no doubt

Basically making any EV import well over 30% more expensive than it is now (provided GBP will keep its value against EUR, this remains to be seen)

Wonder how that would impact on the value of used Model S here in Ireland. There really still are very few of them. I reckon mine is the only one in the whole of the Lucan / Adamstown area, total population a good 60-70k I'd say

I was actually thinking that , we may well see another rise in EV used prices (like with your Ioniq before) due to drop in supply from UK.
    Perhaps time to drop my silly notions of selling for a while!

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Right now you could sell yours and make 10-13k profit in Ireland? Come January when "cheaper to buy in the UK" is no longer an option you'd likely still get that money.

• Advertisement

Right now you could sell yours and make 10-13k profit in Ireland? Come January when "cheaper to buy in the UK" is no longer an option you'd likely still get that money.
    I'd say he could make more than that.At least 15k.

More if it had AP.

I was actually thinking that , we may well see another rise in EV used prices (like with your Ioniq before) due to drop in supply from UK.

I can only imagine there has been near zero EV imports from the UK already (apart from Teslas) as second hand EVs over there cost more than they do over here. Have a look for yourself at the price of the cheapest Leaf over there, the cheapest Ioniq. All much more expensive than here. And that's before the hassle and cost to bring one over
    Perhaps time to drop my silly notions of selling for a while!

Once you've decided, you usually steam ahead with your plans :D

But yeah, it might be wiser financially to hang on to it. Anyone in here think used Model S prices here in Ireland will not stay strong or even go up next year? Any arguments even why you think that might not happen? We will of course see more EV offerings (and hopefully better value ones) from other manufacturers next year. That's one argument against it. A lot of people would rather have a €30k brand new VW "Golf" class EV than a 6-7 year old Tesla for similar money.

But yeah, it might be wiser financially to hang on to it. Anyone in here think used Model S prices here in Ireland will not stay strong or even go up next year? Any arguments even why you think that might not happen?

Warranty expiration? It's regularly a concern on the forum here. Not even sure what servicing and where to service a Tesla S requires. Outside the Dublin tesla branch that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

There has been a total of 3 CPOs under £30k (including unkel). None have been AP.

Once this cars sells it will be the cheapest CPO with AP to sell. The currently leader is an AP1 70d @ £31,200.

Warranty expiration?

You would have thought so. But there is already pretty much nothing in the cheaper Tesla CPO (with warranty) fixed prices and the third party no warranty asking prices you see on the likes of Auto Trader. 2k GBP difference in them at most for the cheaper cars. So that's basically the value of a warranty.

All cars still have battery / drive train warranty for another two years. And for the 2k GBP price difference you can get a good bit of work done, it would nearly pay for an MCU1 fix by Tesla. Although even this problem is far less likely to occur now than it once seemed it would be

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

All used car prices will go up next year, EV's in particular due to their particular demand.

Re the post a few back, there was also a £26k MS85 earlier in the year sold CPO

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

You would have thought so. But there is already pretty much nothing in the cheaper Tesla CPO (with warranty) fixed prices and the third party no warranty asking prices you see on the likes of Auto Trader. 2k GBP difference in them at most. So that's basically the value of a warranty.

All cars still have battery / drive train warranty for another two years. And for the 2k GBP price difference you can get a good bit of work done, it would nearly pay for an MCU1 fix by Tesla. Although even this problem is far likely to occur now than it once seemed it would be

My only concern about the MCU is that , if it breaks now, I have to pay for MCU1. If I end up keeping the S I will be first in line for MCU2 upgrade anyway when it is available. I'll have less of an issue waiting at the crappy 50kW fast chargers from ecars if I can watch netflix on native client!

jhegarty wrote: »
    There has been a total of 3 CPOs under £30k (including unkel). None have been AP.

Once this cars sells it will be the cheapest CPO with AP to sell. The currently leader is an AP1 70d @ £31,200.

Mine aside, there does seem to be a trend. Almost all of those were in the last few weeks. And a good few thousand less in price than they were even 3 months ago.

My only concern about the MCU is that , if it breaks now, I have to pay for MCU1.

If it were mine, I wouldn't worry much about it. You get plenty of warning signs, and if it were getting time for a replacement, I'd book it into an indy in the UK. Should get it done as part of a 24h round trip, including return ferries, for under a grand total cost. Maybe even with upgrade to 4G (now that is something that I would get done - it's only another 100 quid or so). If that is the worst single repair you would have to fork out on a 30-50k second hand out of warranty car during one's ownership, that is pretty palatable to me...

You're almost half-hoping it would die on you so you can get Tesla to fit the MCU2 :p

My only concern about the MCU is that , if it breaks now, I have to pay for MCU1. If I end up keeping the S I will be first in line for MCU2 upgrade anyway when it is available. I'll have less of an issue waiting at the crappy 50kW fast chargers from ecars if I can watch netflix on native client!

Tesla are charging an arm and a leg for MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades and any MCU warranty failures are getting MCU1 replacements

slave1 wrote: »
    Tesla are charging an arm and a leg for MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades

How much? Not an awful lot more than out of warranty MCU1 replacements I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

How much? Not an awful lot more than out of warranty MCU1 replacements I thought?

$2,500 + tax in the US.

You loose your fm radio as part of the upgrade.

Aye that's what I thought. Roughly the same as a MCU1 fix?

If it were mine, I wouldn't worry much about it. You get plenty of warning signs, and if it were getting time for a replacement, I'd book it into an indy in the UK. Should get it done as part of a 24h round trip, including return ferries, for under a grand total cost. Maybe even with upgrade to 4G (now that is something that I would get done - it's only another 100 quid or so). If that is the worst single repair you would have to fork out on a 30-50k second hand out of warranty car during one's ownership, that is pretty palatable to me...

You're almost half-hoping it would die on you so you can get Tesla to fit the MCU2 :p

That's a whole lot of hassle having to head to the UK to fix the car.

But yes, I'd imagine most are hoping for it to fail during warranty... And then not at all!

That's a whole lot of hassle having to head to the UK to fix the car.

Yes of course it is. Big money and 24 hours of your time (probably won't get much sleep either)

But with the reasonable slim chance of it happening (say 10-20%) and it being the one nasty job in your lifetime of owning the car, it's palatable imho

Cars out of drivetrain / battery warranty (once they are over 8 years old) is a different ballgame altogether though! We shall cross that bridge when we come to it...

• Advertisement

Tesla are charging an arm and a leg for MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades and any MCU warranty failures are getting MCU1 replacements
    Same as I'd have to pay out of warranty for an mcu1 replacement anyway

Aye. It's another welcome option really. A year or two ago, a failed MCU1 out of warranty meant a €3k bill from Tesla to replace it with exactly the same unit.

Now you have a €1k indy option / upgrade including far better quality flash media and 4G or a €3k Tesla upgrade to MCU2 with all its benefits

Am I reading this right?

5YJSB7H12FF093235
    https://teslascout.com/view.php?vin=5YJSB7H12FF093235&lang=en

No parking sensors? Do model S not come with parking sensors?

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJSB7H12FF093235

Tesla not budging much tonight. £200 off. £30500 now.

I really must get my Model S dictionary together. Every day is a school day here. MCU 1 vs 2. Technology packs. Which versions have sensors as standard. Levels of AP and how to deduce it all from the VIN. What Ss have what battery and what buffer they have (I hear some 70s are an 85 battery??? and some are less). I hear stuff mentioned around connectivity, that is a monthly subscription - Not sure what the sub gets you though). What cars have 3g vs 4g connectivity?

And those are just off the top of my head. Genuinely though, i'm a bit hazy on all of those, and blind on 1 or 2. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Haha, there's a lot to it, I'm still learning every day :D

I'll take a couple easy ones to get the ball rolling.

MCU1 is 3G, MCU2 is 4G, it's also a much smoother experience (because of much more powerful computing behind it), you can use Netflix and Youtube with it

All cars come with a little teaser of premium connectivity, usually for just 30 days. It means full sat nav satellite mapping with live traffic - this is excellent and extremely useful because of the google integration. And it comes with a built in premium Spotify subscription. Some lucky bastards like myself got this service free for life. Everyone else pays €10 per month for it

Connectivity piece, like Unkel I have for life, web browser intermittent at best but google maps sat nav hard to live without once you’ve had it

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/connectivity?redirect=no

Some features such as Caraoke and video streaming are not supported on some cars based on hardware configuration

I guess this is what you mean when you say video streaming/Netflix isn't available on mcu1, yes?

So without premium id lose live traffic, satellite maps, and music streaming via Spotify. Considering I have Google music all these years I'm not sure there's much draw towards premium. I use my phone's hotspot in the ioniq already

Netflix/Video Streaming and all the graphic games are not available on MCU1...

You will need to research further on phone connectivity, I don't know exactly (because it does not impact me) but there are limitations on phone connectivity before you start the car and once the car is on/driving e.g. use of a phone hotspot to allow the car to go on wifi and gain more connectivity

Connectivity piece, like Unkel I have for life, web browser intermittent at best but google maps sat nav hard to live without once you’ve had it

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/connectivity?redirect=no

Any idea what music and media streaming over wi-fi is? Seems like without premium you'd need to use Bluetooth audio, or whatever this music and media streaming over wi-fi is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Any idea what music and media streaming over wi-fi is? Seems like without premium you'd need to use Bluetooth audio, or whatever this music and media streaming over wi-fi is.

The car can connect to a WiFi signal or maybe a WiFi hotspot from your phone?

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    The car can connect to a WiFi signal or maybe a WiFi hotspot from your phone?

But what's that got to do with streaming music and media?

Edit: perhaps TuneIn radio or such?

Advertisement