Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

unkel wrote: »
    Perhaps just anecdotal, but are the second hand values of early Model S going up? CPO prices are not as good now as they were earlier this year where a non-AP1 car could regularly be had for just under GBP30k

Prices on aggregate sites like tesla-info.com similarly show higher prices than earlier this year (while the cars are only getting older)

And interestingly, YT'ers James and Kate had their Model S for sale for a long time (the guts of a year?), looking for reasonable enough money. Couldn't sell it. And just this week they had several people wanting to buy the car and they got more money than they expected which surprised them

Now I do own an early Model S myself, and if you think this post is wishful thinking, maybe not. I have no intention to sell the car, so it doesn't matter much to me how much it is worth. BTW prices in Ireland seem to have come down, but the sample size is so small, that these are hardly significant.

Certainly the low priced 2014/5 Ss have dried up (for now hopefully). Sales (and thus 2nd hand cars) have probably got held up a bit with Covid, and with new plates coming in August there might be a few more coming around. Certainly the CPOs look overpriced, but they're slow to sell. Last one was a 2014 AP1 for about £32-33 was it? Not saying you're not thinking something similar as I am, but maybe a bit early to draw a conclusion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think Tesla are making the market here, they had a huge amount of Heyford stock that they took off their website en masse.
    I was following a number of them and they were all on sale since Sept onwards last year, literally 6+months in inventory.
    Tesla do not hold stock, they have a third party keep them offsite and only contact them for photos after purchase made, some models that end up not being sold will have these actual photos on the Tesla CPO website, you see them time to time.
    If Tesla sold all their current used stock the CPO website would be flooded.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My CPO car came with BCA flyers etc in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Has anyone fitted a dashcam to their MS?
    Specifically the older cars without the sentry mode.

Just have some queries about connect so that the cam switches off when the car shuts down.

Edit. Just answered my own question I think.
    Both the usb hubs and the 12v plug have powered down when I went back out to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Told ya ;)

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    Has anyone fitted a dashcam to their MS?
    Specifically the older cars without the sentry mode.

Just have some queries about connect so that the cam switches off when the car shuts down.

Edit. Just answered my own question I think.
    Both the usb hubs and the 12v plug have powered down when I went back out to check.

Yes, currently into the 12v but part ordered so I can take the power from the OBD port, much neater solution and frees up the 12v for higher charging of phone

Told ya ;)

I know :o

I must of had the keys or done something to wake the car up last time :)

slave1 wrote: »
    Yes, currently into the 12v but part ordered so I can take the power from the OBD port, much neater solution and frees up the 12v for higher charging of phone

Was considering it.
    There’s also an option to tap into the power in the roof where the mic and 2 interior lights are I believe.

Was considering it.
    There’s also an option to tap into the power in the roof where the mic and 2 interior lights are I believe.

That is taken if you have the sunroof on the Euro model S.

Here is it anyhow if you or anyone else is interested, order now in time for XMas

I know :o

I must of had the keys or done something to wake the car up last time :)

And just like that. Went back out to the car just now, an hour after parking up and my little usb thumb light was still lighting.

The dash cam had powered off so I don’t know what’s happened :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Perhaps just anecdotal, but are the second hand values of early Model S going up? CPO prices are not as good now as they were earlier this year where a non-AP1 car could regularly be had for just under GBP30k

Prices on aggregate sites like tesla-info.com similarly show higher prices than earlier this year (while the cars are only getting older)

And interestingly, YT'ers James and Kate had their Model S for sale for a long time (the guts of a year?), looking for reasonable enough money. Couldn't sell it. And just this week they had several people wanting to buy the car and they got more money than they expected which surprised them

Now I do own an early Model S myself, and if you think this post is wishful thinking, maybe not. I have no intention to sell the car, so it doesn't matter much to me how much it is worth. BTW prices in Ireland seem to have come down, but the sample size is so small, that these are hardly significant.

Interesting that you say that.
    I have a 152 S70 D with 103000km and with Mmc recently done. FREE supercharging and very good history documentation.

Wife gave it the thumbs down this evening over dinner and so "we" want it gone.

I am just looking to get out so was thinking €38500. Any takers? Ad will go on Done Deal tomorrow

How come? How long have you had it and why does she (still) not like it? Too big (for parking)?
    I am just looking to get out so was thinking €38500. Any takers? Ad will go on Done Deal tomorrow

Optimistic for a private sale no warranty car with no AP1, sorry I know that's not what you want to hear

How come? How long have you had it and why does she (still) not like it? Too big (for parking)?

Optimistic for a private sale no warranty car with no AP1, sorry I know that's not what you want to hear

Not a patch on Merc in style, features etc.

Still has powertrain warranty and AP1 equipment😂

We'll see how it goes

Not a patch on Merc in style, features etc.

Still has powertrain warranty and AP1 equipment😂

We'll see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Interesting that you say that.
    I have a 152 S70 D with 103000km and with Mmc recently done. FREE supercharging and very good history documentation.

This car with similar spec (+warranty) and price has been for sales since last year.

So I think the price is optimistic for a private sale.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-s-70d-dual-motor/25068408?campaign=3

Is your AP enabled ?

jhegarty wrote: »
    This car with similar spec (+warranty) and price has been for sales since last year.

So I think the price is optimistic for a private sale.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-s-70d-dual-motor/25068408?campaign=3

Is your AP enabled ?

Sorry I started now, that one has 4 seats. AP on mine not enabled.

Start of this post group was that prices were going up- cheapest 2015 on Autotrader is 32000 which is €35k plus vrt and travel makes around €36500 so if the idea that prices are going up is right then I will do ok. If not then I will have to sell for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Start of this post group was that prices were going up- cheapest 2015 on Autotrader is 32000 which is €35k plus vrt and travel makes around €36500 so if the idea that prices are going up is right then I will do ok. If not then I will have to sell for less.

Your price seems ok to me.

A single post questioning whether model s is going up in value doesn't really mean anything. Seems a few here on boards have got what seemed pretty good deals only recently.

I'm no expert by a long shot, but I'd see it as over priced. 85 would be nicer. There's a lack of AP at that price point, and given there's no different between a 2014 and 2015 version I'd be comparing against similar 2014 cars. No warranty either.
    As mentioned, probably not what you want to hear. Sorry

I read your reply earlier on mobile when I was out and I think you mentioned Mercedes? Maybe that was the reason you want to sell the Tesla and buy a Mercedes?

There's no doubt about it, a Mercedes S-class (or a BMW 7-series or Audi A8) are better built more luxurious cars with far superior interiors than that of a Tesla Model S

But I either got that reference wrong - you edited your post since - or you haven't really given any other reason you your wife wants to sell.

Having the hardware for AP1 but it not enabled means SFA really. If you could even get Tesla to enable it, they would probably want at least 5k. It's easier and cheaper to sell the car with no AP1 and then to buy a car with AP1. Price difference between the two is about 4k or so. I wish I had the hardware though, it would save me a few hundred quid in implementing Open Pilot.

I read your reply earlier on mobile when I was out and I think you mentioned Mercedes? Maybe that was the reason you want to sell the Tesla and buy a Mercedes?

There's no doubt about it, a Mercedes S-class (or a BMW 7-series or Audi A8) are better built more luxurious cars with far superior interiors than that of a Tesla Model S

But I either got that reference wrong - you edited your post since - or you haven't really given any other reason you your wife wants to sell.

Having the hardware for AP1 but it not enabled means SFA really. If you could even get Tesla to enable it, they would probably want at least 5k. It's easier and cheaper to sell the car with no AP1 and then to buy a car with AP1. Price difference between the two is about 4k or so. I wish I had the hardware though, it would save me a few hundred quid in implementing Open Pilot.

She preferred the Merc we had before. Not sure what I'll change to.

• Advertisement

You're still not very forthcoming, richardsheil. Fair enough if you don't want to share, but we can only help best if we know more details. And speaking for myself here, I'm quite curious what was the process behind her thoughts. How long did you have the Tesla? Did she have any reservations before getting it? What did she really not like about the car? It looks like she has decided you are going to sell it but you're not that happy about that yourself?

Just rambling here, but my wife and many other partners of Model S owners on this forum have expressed reservations before they got the car. First time though that I hear of someone getting rid of one because the wife really doesn't like it. And let's be clear. The Tesla Model S might be great in some aspects, but it certainly is no hallelujah car. Not everything about it is perfect or even better than most other cars. From anecdotal evidence though, almost all owners seem very happy (myself included)

You're still not very forthcoming, richardsheil. Fair enough if you don't want to share, but we can only help best if we know more details. And speaking for myself here, I'm quite curious what was the process behind her thoughts. How long did you have the Tesla? Did she have any reservations before getting it? What did she really not like about the car? It looks like she has decided you are going to sell it but you're not that happy about that yourself?

Just rambling here, but my wife and many other partners of Model S owners on this forum have expressed reservations before they got the car. First time though that I hear of someone getting rid of one because the wife really doesn't like it. And let's be clear. The Tesla Model S might be great in some aspects, but it certainly is no hallelujah car. Not everything about it is perfect or even better than most other cars. From anecdotal evidence though, almost all owners seem very happy (myself included)

It's straightforward, she thinks it's dull inside and not great in general and wasn't looking forward to using it in Kerry later in summer due to poor infrastructure etc.

All I wanted to know was did anybody want it seeing as this is where the enthusiasm is as shown by the multiple buying threads here.

I love trying out different cars so it is no skin off my nose.

It's straightforward, she thinks it's dull inside and not great in general and wasn't looking forward to using it in Kerry later in summer due to poor infrastructure etc.

It is dull inside, she is right there. Tesla interiors are pretty poor. Compared to the likes of Mercedes, Audi and BMW.

Not looking forward to using it in Kerry because of what, poor infrastructure? As in charging infrastructure? You could drive the car around Kerry twice or until you're blue in the face before having to charge it

No offence, richardsheil, but (I better be nice and put it more gently) what are your feelings about selling the car (because your wife told you to do it)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm looking forward to more episodes of unkel's late night marriage counseling service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It is dull inside, she is right there. Tesla interiors are pretty poor. Compared to the likes of Mercedes, Audi and BMW.

Not looking forward to using it in Kerry because of what, poor infrastructure? As in charging infrastructure? You could drive the car around Kerry twice or until you're blue in the face before having to charge it

No offence, richardsheil, but (I better be nice and put it more gently) what are your feelings about selling the car (because your wife told you to do it)

Wife wants rid dude sees an opportunity to get a new car

Not sure what you are missing unkel :D seems like what most of us would do !

Am I the only one reading between the lines that he doesn't want rid? :p

No way in hell I'd get rid of the car because the "Wife" wants it gone, if she wants a different car let her pay for it, simple.

Grow some Balls. lol

If it's the "family car" then really it has to work for the family. My wife has reservations about the size of the S. If I can nab a bargain I'll buy one, but if it doesn't work for the family is likely (unfortunately) sell

It's not a fecking 747. Sure if you must park in one of the tightest multi-stories in Dublin all the time (because of work or something) it might be an issue, but otherwise really they will (or should) get used to it. I presume that's what the issue is here, richardsheil, her parking it?

If I spent ages looking for a good Model S, got one and I were to be told only months later to get rid of it (and lose thousands in the process), I'd get rid alright. But not of the car :pac:

Is my afternoon marriage counseling service any better, Lumen? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is my afternoon marriage counseling service any better, Lumen? :p

You did quite well with the sexist assumption of parking incompetence, but MadLad has pulled ahead slightly with his "grow some balls".

EV enthusiasts are so woke. :pac:

Advertisement