Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everesting Ticknock - July 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

13th person to Everest , Alex?

13th in Ireland. Nearly 2000 attempts worldwide!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Lucky for some !! Esteemed company!

Fair play Alek. Impressive stats!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Congrats, immense effort, fair fcuks to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Congrats, great achievement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Plenty of strength left when the magic figure popped up on the Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭traco

Respect!! Super achievement!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,906 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

top notch work.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Inspirational lunacy.
    Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Thud

Well done Alek, amazing achievement, sory i didn't make it over.

You're going to have to share this because it clearly works:
    Alek wrote: »
    I also have my secret motivational trick that I can't share yet (or else it won't work) but it has helped me a few times in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well done Alek. Savage going

Thud: the trick was that in my head I was aiming for 10000m, and on the day I was telling myself that in the worst case I can quit at 8848, so technially i am not forced to finish this ride... this kind of self-bulshoiting works wonders, but if everyone knew, it wouldn't.. tried and tested before ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,972 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thud: the trick was that in my head I was aiming for 10000m, and on the day I was telling myself that in the worst case I can quit at 8848, so technially i am not forced to finish this ride... this kind of self-bulshoiting works wonders, but if everyone knew, it wouldn't.. tried and tested before ;)
    Go back to bed! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Right who is getting in touch with the guys at GCN? #wattagebazooka

I tweeted them. Linked this thread and strava. Heard nothing. Maybe we all should?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

@Alex,
    Well done on your achievement.
    I've been following this thread with much interest.
    When you have recovered, I (and I'm sure, many others) would love to read a full report on your day in the saddle.
    Again congratulations on a job, well done.
    And well done to all those, who helped out.

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

godtabh wrote: »
    I tweeted them. Linked this thread and strava. Heard nothing. Maybe we all should?

Good shout. I was also going to Twwt them a "Welcome to the GCN show" clip. Maybe get one master Tweet and then everybody retweets it? The more retweets a post gets, the more likely they are to take notice of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Couldn't find it to retweet pm me your username on twitter and I'll retweet it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Did you #wattagebazooka as i cant see it either?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Keeks wrote: »
    Did you #wattagebazooka as i cant see it either?

I only used one o!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Well done Alex. Great achievement. I'm hoping you can be the first to actually everest Everest on a bike next. It'll take a bit of thinking regarding gearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

pelevin wrote: »
    Well done Alex. Great achievement. I'm hoping you can be the first to actually everest Everest on a bike next. It'll take a bit of thinking regarding gearing.

At least he already has the tyres.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fantastic achievement Alek, sorry I couldn't make it but was keeping a keen eye on posts here. A great inspiration to the rest of us showing how far you can climb on dedication, training and sheer bloody mindedness. I'm guessing you've got a lot of people here wondering what's possible and may well be the subject of numerous cursed expletives as others follow your lead ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well done Alek - a remarkable achievement that will become even moreso when you try descending the deepest ocean:pac:

Hold on, that Mariana Trench wasn't that far away yesterday! If I only knew...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Hold on, that Mariana Trench wasn't that far away yesterday! If I only knew...

How are the legs today Alek. It sounds like it was just another everyday spin for you :D Kudos BTW an incredible achievement.

What did you forget and make do without?

what was actually worse than expected?

Was your gearing choice right? Bigger gearing or lower for the next one?

How did the brakes hold up?

How's the arse?

What was harder later on climbing or descending?

Did you find it relatively easy as in would you have had 10,000 metres in the legs?

How are the legs today Alek.

Legs are fresh as daisies. Really. I think mostly due to low gearing and extra protein intake during the event.
    What did you forget and make do without?

Gloves. No problem.
    what was actually worse than expected?

20+ degrees and sunshine while climbing, and then descending into surprisingly cold bottom section of the segment.
    Was your gearing choice right? Bigger gearing or lower for the next one?

Gearing (34x36 equivalent) was perfect for steady 10% climb. Wouldn't change it.
    How did the brakes hold up?

Excellente amigo! Didn't have to change pads and there is plenty left. Discs for the win, very predictable performance even when it rained for a while.
    How's the arse?

Been worse :P
    What was harder later on climbing or descending?

The last 4-5 climbs were dragging forever, but that was just mind, not legs.
    Did you find it relatively easy as in would you have had 10,000 metres in the legs?

I was keeping my planned HR of 135 while climbing up to 6000-7000m, then it started dropping to 120-125, and I couldn't raise it up. I began to worry about my heart but now I know the heart was fine, it was just the overall fatigue kicking in. Today I know would easily do 7-8 more reps, but this way I would finish after 11, and apart for NobleNudge waiting for me, I wasn't mentally ready for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I only used one o!

:p

Btw......well done Alex. Amazing achievement....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Legs are fresh as daisies. Really. I think mostly due to low gearing and extra protein intake during the event.

Gloves. No problem.

20+ degrees and sunshine while climbing, and then descending into surprisingly cold bottom section of the segment.

Gearing (34x36 equivalent) was perfect for steady 10% climb. Wouldn't change it.

Excellente amigo! Didn't have to change pads and there is plenty left. Discs for the win, very predictable performance even when it rained for a while.

Been worse :P

The last 4-5 climbs were dragging forever, but that was just mind, not legs.

I was keeping my planned HR of 135 while climbing up to 6000-7000m, then it started dropping to 120-125, and I couldn't raise it up. I began to worry about my heart but now I know the heart was fine, it was just the overall fatigue kicking in. Today I know would easily do 7-8 more reps, but this way I would finish after 11, and apart for NobleNudge waiting for me, I wasn't mentally ready for this.

Didn't I tell you you'd be fresh enough!

I think that heart rate dropping is common enough, I rarely monitor hr but the two times I did I noticed a downward trend late on.

On the 200km ride I decided to go as hard as possible up last climb; felt like I was just below my max hr of 182; barely hit 160! The body knows best I guess!!
    Well done again

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Right who is getting in touch with the guys at GCN? #wattagebazooka

retweet from @colmohh to get Alek his deserved wattage bazooka :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

You should do the evil 200 as a recovery ride today.

Advertisement