Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland question for under 40s

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

So Antrim, Armagh, Derry, Down, Fermanagh and Tyrone that play in the Ulster & All-Ireland SFC are 'foreign' teams? Would you ever stop your nonsense........

Foreign teams who play in the "All Ireland" no less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

BattyInNZ wrote: »
    I'm specific on the age because my younger sister and son told me yesterday that 'under 40s' in the Republic don't care about Northern Ireland, don't care about our history, north or south, and pretty much don't care about most things related to Ireland as a nation/country/culture etc.etc.

Thoughts please - I'm desperately hoping they're wrong but if they're right I now know why the politicians in this country can get away with anything and everything!

Boards and especially AH is not the place to get the consensus of the general public. I can't think of a single election or referendum where the results of polls or majority view in a thread on boards was anything close to the vote result in terms of percentages.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

armaghlad wrote: »
    I've always said that generally speaking there aren't huge differences in these islands, everyone watches Eastenders, supports Man U, listens to Ed Sheeran, sticks a tenner on the Grand National etc.

Right that's fooking it.
    Take that statement back.

That is the greatest insult levelled at people so far here.
    A lot of people all over these islands finds Eastenders destestable shyte and would never in a billion years support man united.
    Your membership of the cohort of inveterate hat doffers who think any criticism of Britain is to be anti-British reveals again your prejudice.

Oh FFS.
    Just because we are not out raving that The Falkalands belongs to Argentina which never actually settled the place bar a few years in 1820s when all the main world powers that had actually settled it had peed off and would have less rights to it than France and Spain, or don't think the bombing of Dresden was some evil dastardly plan we are immediately some hat doffers to Britain.

Do you ever seriously read the cra* you post.
    I am not anymore anti British than I am anti German or French.

Oh pull the other one.
    I think the British have a lot to answer for here though and look to see that they are answerable just like I believe any governing party should be answerable.

Yes they do have to answer questions re state interference and operations, but so do others.
    I think Brexit is a tragic mistake. I am on record as hoping they pull back even at this stage. Have had a good chuckle at more idiotic little England stuff admittedly.

It's bit late to pull back now.
    I'm sure you can when the trainwreck of a hard Brexit comes rolling into view.

A hard Brexit will have huge consequences for the Republic and not just because of Northern Ireland.
    Even if we had already a nice lovely united Ireland a hard Brexit puts in so many hurdles in terms of trade and movement of goods, services and people.
    With this charm offensive you're really winning us over.

Can't believe I am agreeing with Politics and Cycling mod, but you are so correct.
    Some proponents of a united Ireland around here just reinforces my opinion that it aint worth the hassel.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,969 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jmayo wrote: »

Oh FFS.
    Just because we are not out raving that The Falkalands belongs to Argentina which never actually settled the place bar a few years in 1820s when all the main world powers that had actually settled it had peed off and would have less rights to it than France and Spain, or don't think the bombing of Dresden was some evil dastardly plan we are immediately some hat doffers to Britain.

Do you ever seriously read the cra* you post.

:D:D I think you are on the wrong internet forum if you want to censor or stop what people discuss. Now if you want to reduce the things I have discussed on this site in the approx 10 years since I joined, to a small number of topics about the UK, go right ahead, knock yourself out.
    But it is clearly evident what you don't like being discussed or criticised.

Oh pull the other one.

If you look, you will find I also have the 'temerity' to criticise the US, Germany and France and any other country I see fit to criticise over issues I disagree with them on.
    Really sorry if that offends little old protective you.

Yes they do have to answer questions re state interference and operations, but so do others.
    Did anyone say they didn't?

It's bit late to pull back now.
    It isn't actually and I hope they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I wonder what's the going rate for marketing work?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

How do you know that? I have seen this argument put across before but it doesn't mean the Prime Minister won't campaign for NI to remain within the Union. Even if you are right, which I don't think you are, it is really irrelevant as it is up to the people in such a vote.

All states within the Union can leave if that is the wish of the people with a referendum. Wales could leave if they so wished in a vote.

The UK have signed an international agreement saying explicitly that it is up to the island of Ireland alone to decide it's future without outside impediment.

Meaning they (outside) will place no impediment (block or take a side) on the island making a decision.

They ain't coming ALP, why? Because they have 'no strategic interest' anymore, unlike Scotland, were they have strategic interests.

The Malvinas had warships sent to protect it and bring it back into the fold, when a border poll is called they will send polling slips by express post.
    All indications as we saw again at PMQs is the Prime Minister will back Northern Ireland to remain within the United Kingdom if such a poll happened. What you say is not true in reality. If you are referring to blocking it, then of course, that is self evident as it is up to the people.

But we have been through this before, it doesn't really need debated again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

Boards and especially AH is not the place to get the consensus of the general public. I can't think of a single election or referendum where the results of polls or majority view in a thread on boards was anything close to the vote result in terms of percentages.
    I couldn't agree more you, the forum is full of messing, baiting responses, unionists from the north but claiming to live in Dublin, Cork, London, whatever. I'd like to see the pro unionist/partitionist lobby on boards.ie approaching any of the numbers or enthusiasm of the general public in the pics despite the best efforts of decades of partitionists such as Eoghan Harris, Dudley Edwards, Conor Cruise O'Brien etc given free rein to try and undermine nationalist aspirations -

p261916.jpg

sinn_fein_428_90416327.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I couldn't agree more you, the forum is full of messing...

Teacher, teacher the lads are messing.

The reason AH used to be fun was because of messing.
    Now we have outrage merchants and political pariahs trying to turn everything into a morality contest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

jmayo wrote: »

The above mindset is the very one that complains that Lynch should have invaded the North and dragged the Republic into am actual war with Britain, which would have destroyed the Republic however pathetic and backwards as it was.
    For Lynch and the cosy Gombeen men in FF and FG and Labour, the preservation of privilege and cosy, corrupt, conservative, catholic set-up was always a non-negotiable condition. If thousands of nationalists in the six counties had to die, then they had to die, their little world couldn’t be affected in any way. In the August 1969 situation, the Irish army going into say, the Bogside Derry would have sparked off an International Incident like Suez which would have to be put to the UN to discuss and vote before Britain could take any action just like the Falklands. It’s a pity the North wasn’t internationalised until the 90’s with Bill Clinton’s envoy and the Good Friday Agreement sponsored by the EU and USA lodged as an international treaty at the UN.

I know it's a wiki but this might explain "An international incident is a seemingly relatively small or limited action or clash that results in a wider dispute between two or more nation-states." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

FTA69 wrote: »
    Foreign teams who play in the "All Ireland" no less.
    Like London.

• Advertisement
Advertisement