Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland question for under 40s

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Patww79 wrote: »
    You find anyone disagreeing with your view offensive.
    Ireland is an island and I, an Irishman in Armagh, live on it. Suck it up big lad.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

With this charm offensive you're really winning us over.

Like I said, you're free to think that if it makes you feel better, even though you're wrong. Ireland is a country and you're outside its borders. I'll give you the 'irishman' thing as I presume you've picked up your gfa passport, nothing I can do about that mistake.
    You're no Irishman. I know from your past postings that your childish trolling seems to give you some sort of kick. So as an individual I pity your existence.

• Advertisement

Because I disagree with you? Christ :D
    You refer to me as a foreigner ffs cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Pat, I haven't a clue what an 'irish' person is. Wasn't the whole reason of the GFA to allow people to decide their own nationality/identity etc. If you can't accept that, mindsets like yours are part of the problems of the past.

Correct, as part of the GFA, the South gave up its claim to the territory of Northern Ireland but in return the people of the North who want citizenship of the South can have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Johnson_76

Unite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

blanch152 wrote: »
    Correct, as part of the GFA, the South gave up its claim to the territory of Northern Ireland but in return the people of the North who want citizenship of the South can have it.

Very true, but they still live in the UK.

Brexit will either break NI out of the UK & Unite it with the ROI, or it will cement Northern Ireland's place within the United Kingdom for generations to come.

Take your choice......

• Registered Users Posts: 66,974 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And the aspiration to a united Ireland is legitmate.
    Which means that saying the Ireland is partitioned is also legitimate.
    Which makes a liar out of Pat unless he voted against the GFA and it's 'unfotunate' (for his point of view) contents.

No I'm not. You've the passport, whether I agree with you having it or not, it entitles you. I just refer to you as an Irishman living in a foreign country. I've a cousin living in Canada and he has an Irish passport too. Doesn't mean it's Ireland.
    What a watery argument.

If I was born and rared in this "foreign country" surely I am foreigner?

Earlier people in the north were "Irish"; now I'm an Irishman?

Ireland is an island, there is no state called Ireland, the island is politically divided. I'm in Northern Ireland and you're in the Republic of Ireland. They are both Ireland. The clue is in the name.

If you're going to troll at least make an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Yeah the difference being Ireland is an island and country with 32 counties; Canada is a big American country on the other side of the Atlantic. Comparing Fermanagh with Ontario is just churlish nonsense and I suspect you know it.

There was no such thing as an Irish state pre 1922, by that logic was there no such thing as "Ireland" as a country or a nation of Irish people? Was Michael Collins simply a British traitor to the crown in your eyes. Nationality or ethnicity isn't necessarily dependent on the confines of a given state. Germany was divided into two states once, still people on either side of their border remained Germans.

Kurds are Kurds, Basques are Basques and Irish people are Irish. The type of person who would declare Mary McAleese or John Hume or Joe Brolly as foreigners with no connection to a concept of Irishness are simply having a laugh.

It's the epitome of po-faced obtusity and not even meriting serious discussion to be honest. Umpteen pages in we've not had one actual point bar unquantifiable stuck-up exclusionary platitudes.

Amazing how they managed to sneak into the GAA for so long the duplicitous rogues.

Aside from that your response is typical. Running away from the points made. No surprise there. Why is it so important for you to deny other people's nationalities? Most sane people probably wouldn't care at the end of the day.

If being Irish is contingent on being a resident in an independent Irish state does that mean that nobody had a right to an Irish identity pre-1922

armaghlad wrote: »
    What a watery argument.

If I was born and rared in this "foreign country" surely I am foreigner?

Earlier people in the north were "Irish"; now I'm an Irishman?

Ireland is an island, there is no state called Ireland, the island is politically divided. I'm in Northern Ireland and you're in the Republic of Ireland. They are both Ireland. The clue is in the name.

If you're going to troll at least make an effort.

Since the GFA and the abandonment of the territorial claim on the six counties, the 26-county state is Ireland.

Yes you are denying their nationality and even went so far as to say it "offended" you when they state themselves as living in Ireland.

I never said the state had 32 counties I said the country and island of Ireland did. Care to address any of the posts I made or are you just going to continue repeating the same stuff?

It's becoming clear you're not interested in or able to make an actual point or address those being put to you.

• Advertisement

Since the GFA and the abandonment of the territorial claim on the six counties, the 26-county state is Ireland.

The island is Ireland and everybody has the right to identify as Irish and to be cherished by the nation of Ireland.
    That is why Dublin is co-signee of an internationally binding agreement on the governance of the partitioned part of the island of Ireland.

Unless of course you voted against the GFA, did you or Pat?

They are. By your logic Ukraine wasn't a country or Lithuanian people didn't exist. All the USSR you see, and anyone who said any different were simply dopes and no other point matters.

You've constantly refused to engage and are unable to answer any points put to you. Good night.

And try and to avoid watching the Football Championship this year, the sight of northern and southern teams playing each other under the Tricolour will probably make you p*ss your pants.

FTA69 wrote: »
    They are. By your logic Ukraine wasn't a country or Lithuanian people didn't exist. All the USSR you see, and anyone who said any different were simply dopes and no other point matters.

You've constantly refused to engage and are unable to answer any points put to you. Good night.

And try and to avoid watching the Football Championship this year, the sight of northern and southern teams playing each other under the Tricolour will probably make you p*ss your pants.
    Wonder what he does when supporting the rugby team. Support half of them? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Under 40 and am fairly apathetic towards Northern Ireland (bar an interest in Ulster GAA).
    I would like a United Ireland only because some feel very passionate about it and only if there wasn't any violence as a result (not likely).

In reality, it's not a place that attracts me and I would be happier spending time in England, Scotland or Wales.

The island is Ireland and everybody has the right to identify as Irish and to be cherished by the nation of Ireland.
    That is why Dublin is co-signee of an internationally binding agreement on the governance of the partitioned part of the island of Ireland.

Unless of course you voted against the GFA, did you or Pat?

Ireland is a state consisting of 26 counties. Other people living on the rest of the island of Ireland have the right to be a citizen of Ireland even though they do not live in the state called Ireland.

Geographically, Ireland is an island part of the archipelago known as the British Isles.

Politically, Ireland is a state of 26 counties geographically located on the southernmost three-quarters of the island.

A 'gfa' passport? No such thing. There's an Irish passport, to which people in the 6 counties were entitled to before the GFA came into existence.

So that also rules out your enjoyment of
    basketball,
    boxing,
    cricket,
    curling,
    Gaelic games,
    hockey,
    golf,
    lawn bowls,
    and rugby league.

You also cannot enjoy the All Ireland Fleadh, the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship and the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship.

You presumably don't recognize the Primates of All Ireland in the RC and COI faiths either.

What a life you lead. Poor Pat. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So Antrim, Armagh, Derry, Down, Fermanagh and Tyrone that play in the Ulster & All-Ireland SFC are 'foreign' teams? Would you ever stop your nonsense........

Advertisement