Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland question for under 40s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,969 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    There is more to the world than NI. Anybody who disagrees with you or holds a different opinion ...its prejudice, lol. It's time to let go of the past.

No, not anyone.
    Anyone who insists on lumping me into his belief that only one political party can be republican is probably prejudiced to that belief. There is no other reason for it.

Ah, let go of 'some' of the past you surely mean? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

No, not anyone.
    Anyone who insists on lumping me into his belief that only one political party can be republican is probably prejudiced to that belief. There is no other reason for it.

Ah, let go of 'some' of the past you surely mean? :rolleyes:

It would be a start. Try it. :)

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    It would be a start. Try it. :)

There are many unresolved things about the past, if we just forget things the next day and move on how would the world look, do you think?

Sure you would be comfy but as you may have found out, the world doesn't revolve around you or me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I like Northern Ireland. I'm from Northern Ireland. I visit it frequently.
    But I find the politics dumb and boring.
    Instead of banging on about flags or Irish, focus on how the country can stand on its own without being sent a £1bn cheque every single month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It is prejudice which stops you from accepting that debating on republican issues is not necessarily a SF thing. The 'themuns' syndrome. You have made your mind up what I am and everything follows from that. Sigh and Yawn.

Francie you are so transparent at this stage.
    It is the usual round of having a pop at all things British.
    You rejoiced at Brexit because you saw it as the little englanders view of their empire now leading them to economic destruction.

Somewhere along the line in your debate you always resort to the old reliables: Little Englanders, Malvinas or Dresden.
    And in order to face the future you have to own the past.

Hmmm.
    The thing is some want to investigate all incidents of state collusion, but then dismiss questions into the disappeared as just something that happens in a war.
    I believe we need to get to the bottom of all of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Some lovely opinions of the North. The indifference from some on here although unsurprising is also bordering on offensive. If reading this thread has taught me anything, it's how narrow-minded Irish people still are and it's embarrassing.

I've always said that generally speaking there aren't huge differences in these islands, everyone watches Eastenders, supports Man U, listens to Ed Sheeran, sticks a tenner on the Grand National etc.

I don't consider Scots, Welsh or English people to be "foreign" so it is saddening when eejits here who could live half an hour down the road from me refer to my homeplace as being a different country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

jmayo wrote: »
    Francie you are so transparent at this stage.
    It is the usual round of having a pop at all things British.
    You rejoiced at Brexit because you saw it as the little englanders view of their empire now leading them to economic destruction.

Somewhere along the line in your debate you always resort to the old reliables: Little Englanders, Malvinas or Dresden.

Your membership of the cohort of inveterate hat doffers who think any criticism of Britain is to be anti-British reveals again your prejudice.
    I am not anymore anti British than I am anti German or French.
    I think the British have a lot to answer for here though and look to see that they are answerable just like I believe any governing party should be answerable.

Hmmm.
    The thing is some want to investigate all incidents of state collusion, but then dismiss questions into the disappeared as just something that happens in a war.
    I believe we need to get to the bottom of all of it.

If you can find somewhere I dismissed questions show us.
    The disappeared are almost all found and the ICLVR have said they are satisfied that the IRA have assisted as best as they can.
    The IRA are willing to commit to a Truth process, the people you won't allow to be criticised refuse to take part in that. And have recently buried potentially embarrassing files relating to the bombing of your capital city for more years.
    But we have to 'forget' that :rolleyes:

I think Brexit is a tragic mistake. I am on record as hoping they pull back even at this stage. Have had a good chuckle at more idiotic little England stuff admittedly.

Patww79 wrote: »

So you are opposed to article 2 of Bunreacht na hÉireann then? I find a mindset such as yours quite bizarre tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

VinLieger wrote: »
    Ahhh pony....... never change, you're feigned ignorance never ceases to provide amusement

it might or might not be feigned .. Mrs wex and the rest of her family moved down to here from banbridge [as her mother was from here] at the height of the troubles. there was constant comments before the move from the neighbours , most of who would have had unionist upbringing, about going down to live among the chickens and dirt

If you don't like article 2, campaign to have it altered. Maybe then you could take all the Irish passports off those outside the 26.

The 6 counties is a partioned part of Ireland. It isn't a country, it is a unit/state of the UK at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can't see how a united ireland would happen without serious bloodshed and nobody who remembers those scenes ever wants to see them again

All you have described is the state. In terms of article 2, the relationship between what is a state, a country and the definition of a citizen in an Irish context means that state ≠ country.

The gentleman doth protest too much. The denial is very sad if not a little pointless.

• Advertisement

Pat, I haven't a clue what an 'irish' person is. Wasn't the whole reason of the GFA to allow people to decide their own nationality/identity etc. If you can't accept that, mindsets like yours are part of the problems of the past.

'It's unfortunate' :D:D

It is a 'partitioned' part of Ireland and the aspiration to re-unify it is the stated and legitimate policy (GFA) of your government.
    Sad to break the news to you.

I'm not missing anything. I'm fully aware of article 3 as well. Why is it 'unfortunate'? Why do you want to force people to identify as something they may not consider themselves to be? Wasn't this a root cause of conflict on this island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

It'll be an uphill struggle all right. I can't think of a single benefit that unification might bring to a resident of Northern Ireland.

It'll be an uphill struggle all right. I can't think of a single benefit that unification might bring to a resident of Northern Ireland.

I'm sure you can when the trainwreck of a hard Brexit comes rolling into view.

Republicans would expect to lose the first poll but it won't deter them. So it won't be put to bed. You should have realised the GFA was a process not an end when voted for it.
    If you voted for it that is.
    Judging from your posting I reckon you haven't read it even. You should.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

It is a different country though. You can't ignore facts, and I find it offensive when people up there just use the name of our country here as their own. It's not.
    I find your idiocy offensive.

Advertisement