Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G5 Plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Talk of the moto x4 being announced the same day. Slightly more expensive than the g5s plus is expected to be but keeps the handy 5.2 inch size and also packs the dual camer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭914

Talk of the moto x4 being announced the same day. Slightly more expensive than the g5s plus is expected to be but keeps the handy 5.2 inch size and also packs the dual camer.

Ye I'd rather the g5plus kept the 5.2 screen or even drop to 5inch. Not mad on the 5.5 inch screens, grand if top and bottom bezels are small

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Nice little phone so far, I managed to get one from Amazon DE sent to my hotel in Italy, cost ~€275 with priority shipping (and strangely went via the UK!)
    Coming from a Nexus 5X (feckin bootloop) the camera isn't quite as impressive, but I managed to take over 500 pics over the course of a week so quantity over quality smile.png?v=%20ff2d0add3b9b40024aae25e9e80fad5c  The twist gesture is so handy and it's fast enough to snap them off

Minor niggles like it being slippy to hold and lack of compass I have not really cared about, it's fast and the battery is lasting longer than the 5X so I'm happy.
    Managed to root and apply adaway too on it easily enough.
    Expensive phones can flip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Nice little phone so far, I managed to get one from Amazon DE sent to my hotel in Italy, cost ~€275 with priority shipping (and strangely went via the UK!)
    Coming from a Nexus 5X (feckin bootloop) the camera isn't quite as impressive, but I managed to take over 500 pics over the course of a week so quantity over quality smile.png?v=%20ff2d0add3b9b40024aae25e9e80fad5c  The twist gesture is so handy and it's fast enough to snap them off

Minor niggles like it being slippy to hold and lack of compass I have not really cared about, it's fast and the battery is lasting longer than the 5X so I'm happy.
    Managed to root and apply adaway too on it easily enough.
    Expensive phones can flip off.
    How did you root it and what are the advantages of that? Also what is adaway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

lighthouse wrote: »
    How did you root it and what are the advantages of that? Also what is adaway?
    I rooted it following instructions and using an application (Moto G5 Plus Toolkit) from the XDA forums.
    The basic steps are to unlock the devices bootloader, (with a code from Motorola website), change the boot and recovery images and then apply certain zip files including the Super SU root files.

The advantages are you can use apps like AdAway which as an adblocker which uses the hosts file to block certain ad server domains at a system level, you need root access to apply the hosts file.

There's other advantages to rooting but this is what I mainly use it for, I think I saw a discussion of enabling the hidden LED light on the G5+ as a notification light using root, it seems to be only used for charging by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭914

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I rooted it following instructions and using an application (Moto G5 Plus Toolkit) from the XDA forums.
    The basic steps are to unlock the devices bootloader, (with a code from Motorola website), change the boot and recovery images and then apply certain zip files including the Super SU root files.

The advantages are you can use apps like AdAway which as an adblocker which uses the hosts file to block certain ad server domains at a system level, you need root access to apply the hosts file.

There's other advantages to rooting but this is what I mainly use it for, I think I saw a discussion of enabling the hidden LED light on the G5+ as a notification light using root, it seems to be only used for charging by default.

Was just about to ask your reasons for rooting. With the g5 being pretty much stock android and little or no bloatware i was wondering why. I see your advantage now with adaware

• Registered Users Posts: 14,807 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

disadvantage is you won't be able to use Android pay.

loyatemu wrote: »
    disadvantage is you won't be able to use Android pay.

Is this only on Motos? If you use Magisk SU instead of SuperSU, you can use Magisk hide and android pay works fine. That's how it works for HTC devices, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,807 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Basil3 wrote: »
    Is this only on Motos? If you use Magisk SU instead of SuperSU, you can use Magisk hide and android pay works fine. That's how it works for HTC devices, anyway.

fair enough, haven't tried that - my phone (not a Moto) also has a custom ROM and unlocked bootloader so Android Pay just says "nope"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

loyatemu wrote: »
    fair enough, haven't tried that - my phone (not a Moto) also has a custom ROM and unlocked bootloader so Android Pay just says "nope"

It's the rooted custom Rom that's causing that not the unlocked bootloader

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Seriously considering buying the Moto G5 plus. There's currently a good price on Amazon.de of 203 euro plus 10 delivery.

For those of you who bought from Amazon.de or Amazon.it...do they have a similar returns policy to Amazon UK? I've always had great feedback from Amazon UK so just wanted to check if it's as easy with the other country sites?

Also, a few months in now, would ye still recommend the phone? Are there any issues with lag or crashing?

It's really important for me to get a decent camera and for the phone to be able to handle Plex (media app) without crashing. My current Xiaomi redmi note 4 is on it's last legs and want to avoid the issues it has now - camera not reliable, often lags when I press the capture button, gets confused if trying to adjust flash in low light, resulting in me often missing decent photos. I use Plex every day but the Xiaomi takes about 5 attempts to open it each time. I also am having issues with phone losing signal and being generally painful!!

Have been really interested in the newer Moto g4 plus based on the many good reviews saying it's the best budget smartphone with a great camera. So just want to check with those of you who are using the G5 plus phone now, what do you honestly think of it?

I got my Moto G5 Plus at the start of the Summer from Carephone Warehouse in Newry.
    I'm very happy with it, no complaints.
    The deal you mentioned sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

From the thread in the bargain alerts forum: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057762376&page=12

The G5S Plus: https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/motorola-moto-g5-plus-xt1685-32gb-4g-dual-sim-sim-free-unlocked-gold.html?idRecommendation=4-20893&idPrevPage=8718

I have the the G4 Plus since March and I'm very happy with it, except I hate the camera.

Thinking of upgrading to the G5S Plus and giving the G4 Plus to a family member.

Is there any reason not to upgrade?

I remember reading about camera lag on the g5s plus, which doesn't happen on g5 plus
    Read the reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

There is only Google photos for viewing all photos but the option to edit photos is not available (it was on my old phone).

Is there a way of fixing this or do I have to add another app?

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Found this phone on Komplett for €249, is this a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Found this phone on Komplett for €249, is this a good deal?

Seems to be out of stock. Any other places, preferably Irish site/shops I can get the g5 plus? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19 undergroundeye

Hi

I have a 4 month old Moto G5s plus. The battery was originally lasting nearly 2 days on moderate use. Now it barely lasts 6 hours on standby. This happened before about 2 weeks ago after which I deleted every app and did a factory reset.

I now am in the same situation however this happened when I turned on my Bluetooth

Can I please get assistance as I have tried their fourm but have no response

Purchased the device on Amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Hi

I have a 4 month old Moto G5s plus. The battery was originally lasting nearly 2 days on moderate use. Now it barely lasts 6 hours on standby. This happened before about 2 weeks ago after which I deleted every app and did a factory reset.

I now am in the same situation however this happened when I turned on my Bluetooth

Android version update lately?

Always risky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Hi

Had the same issue after the April security update, I followed the advice from this Lenovo forum page to disable the Outlook app (I did not uninstall the app) and the problem seems to have been resolved for me.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5S-Moto-G5S-Plus/Heating-and-battery-drain-issue-after-april-security-patch/td-p/4065012/page/4

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

looking to buy the Moto G5s (I know there is a newer model out) and saw it on Amazon.de

https://www.amazon.de/Motorola-Moto-Smartphone-Android-Mondgrau/dp/B074MGP8GJ/ref=sr_1_5?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1529957171&sr=1-5&keywords=moto+g5s

if i buy it will it work fine here in Ireland, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

novarapid wrote: »
    looking to buy the Moto G5s (I know there is a newer model out) and saw it on Amazon.de

https://www.amazon.de/Motorola-Moto-Smartphone-Android-Mondgrau/dp/B074MGP8GJ/ref=sr_1_5?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1529957171&sr=1-5&keywords=moto+g5s

if i buy it will it work fine here in Ireland, thanks

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Motorola/Lenovo still pushing security updates out to the Moto G5S Plus.

Your device is up to date

Android 7.1.1

Current version: NPSS26.116-26-18

Security patch level: 1 June 2018

Update was close to 80MB. Nice to see this phone still getting support. People love to give out about Motorola, but they seemed to have kicked things up a bit since the Moto G5.

No sign of Oreo though, that has been on the cards for about a year too, oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Amalgam wrote: »
    Motorola/Lenovo still pushing security updates out to the Moto G5S Plus.

Update was close to 80MB. Nice to see this phone still getting support. People love to give out about Motorola, but they seemed to have kicked things up a bit since the Moto G5.

No sign of Oreo though, that has been on the cards for about a year too, oh well.
    They've always done updates on all the G's....it will get Oreo (it says so on Moto site somewhere) and that should be it I'd say....or that'll be it for me anyway cuz they'll release a POS update and fork things up just as quick.

Kuva wrote: »
    They've always done updates on all the G's....it will get Oreo (it says so on Moto site somewhere) and that should be it I'd say....or that'll be it for me anyway cuz they'll release a POS update and fork things up just as quick.

Seemingly going straight to Oreo 8.1.

But..

There's a worrying edit of late, previously, the roadmap for the Moto G5S Plus mentioned Oreo, but the product page has been edited very recently, there is now only a very generic piece on the phone being updated to the June 1 security patch..

Oreo 8.1 is being pushed to 'reteu' (Europe Retail - Amazon FR DE ES IT etc)

UK Retail were getting Oreo last week, 'reteu' has been a long time coming. Plenty of exasperated whingeing on the Lenovo forums.

Worth to note: The update is 1205MB in size. Connect to wifi and let it download..

I'm about to install it myself.. I'll back up a few things first.

Screenshot-20181024-213407.jpg

I installed it last night. Downloaded over mobile data.
    No problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Must dust mine off at some stage and give it a whirl.

• Advertisement

biebiebie wrote: »
    Must dust mine off at some stage and give it a whirl.
    Ha ha ha I bet you are one of those "my other car's a Porsche" type of guys 😜

Advertisement