Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G5 Plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

There is a newer variation of the G5 coming out in the form of the G5S and G5S Plus.

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g5s_plus-8699.php

I was joking with a friend of mine last night that my phone would be out of date by Friday.
    Didn't quite make it ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,863 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

MrSzyslak wrote: »
    Looks a fantastic phone for that price. Probably bit better than G5+ Screen seems crisper and massive battery. However Camera inst as good and doesn't run Android Nougat. Roughly 50 pounds cheaper.

Not sure if parcel motel will work. Will try order later.

3 UK haven't pushed Nougat out OTA yet, but it is available for download from Lenovo's website and a number of people on the HUKD thread have installed it without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 manageit

Lack of notification light is annoying. Got to keep checking.

They say it saves battery life. I have G4+, you get used to it. Battery excellent alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

manageit wrote: »

Sorry, life's too short for that sh!te ... why on earth would they ditch that feature? (Yes, I know, you gave the answer ...)
    They say it saves battery life. I have G4+, you get used to it. Battery excellent alright.

manageit wrote: »

It's funny I had that on my old phone the Moto G and I never used it because it always seemed to be blinking.
    Now that I know a little more about it I'm not sure it's such a huge loss.
    I have notifications coming in constantly from Gmail, Facebook and Twitter. None of these are life and death matters which I hear their notifications anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Manuel wrote: »
    Sorry, life's too short for that sh!te ... why on earth would they ditch that feature? (Yes, I know, you gave the answer ...)

The 3 and 4 don't have it either. Maybe the moto never had it. Most phones don't. I think they should all have it.

lighthouse wrote: »
    It's funny I had that on my old phone the Moto G and I never used it because it always seemed to be blinking.
    I have notifications coming in constantly from Gmail, Facebook and Twitter. None of these are life and death matters which I hear their notifications anyway.

If you have too many turned on, or unfiltered, then it kinda defeats the purpose of a notification.

beauf wrote: »
    lighthouse wrote: »

If you have too many turned on, or unfiltered, then it kinda defeats the purpose of a notification.
    I see what you mean. Moto G was my first smart phone, I had put off buying one for years.
    Maybe if I had set it up for just calls and texts it would have been useful.

I have my mail so non important stuff gets labeled and skips the inbox. All this forum stuff for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 cardshark

The 3GB version on Amazon has now dropped from £179.99 to £164.99.

Great phone!

cardshark wrote: »
    The 3GB version on Amazon has now dropped from £179.99 to £164.99.

Great phone!
    I bought mine (Moto G5 Plus) in Carphonewarehouse in Newry for £250, has since come down to £230

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

was reading that can only use 2g on one of the dual sim, when the other is in 4g/3g, which is a problem when in certain countries because 2g networks are being discontinued. Read there is a software patch to fix this, anybody know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭914

Well after looking long and hard at multiple different phones I decided to go for the Moto G5 Plus from. Amazon.de for 280 delivered to parcel motel with delivery due next Tuesday :)

I was looking at Chinese phones like the Zuk Z2, Xiaomi Mi5, Umi Z Pro, LeEco Pro 3 and Lenovo P2 but decided to go for the G5 Plus because good reviews, the Android 7.0 Nougat and the ease of setting up without the hassle of flashing ROMs.

I'm changing from a Sony Z3 which has served me well for over 2 years and still going strong so hopefully the G5 Plus was a good decision..

Hi Glen,

How have you found the phone compared to the z3? Battery and performance? I'm in the same boat myself and have also been looking at the G5 Plus as well as the Chinese phones that you have mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

It's EUR 258,00 on amazon.de now.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

€229 (€238.82 with Irish VAT and delivery) on amazon.it

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

maki wrote: »

Just ordered, hope settings and all that are okay and its unlocked. Cheers :-)

Ugly_Child wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea if the Moto G5 Plus will be gracing these shores soon?

And if not the easiest place to pick one up online that will ship to Ireland?

Cheers

Pop up to Newry if you are near there. Carphonewarehouse have them for £230
    That's what I did 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 27,938 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

maki wrote: »

Is that the 3GB one? A friend is looking for a new phone so might suggest this.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Is that the 3GB one? A friend is looking for a new phone so might suggest this.

Yup its the plus version. Really good deal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

How do people find Moto Display/life without a notification LED?

Doesn't bother me. I never used it on my old phone.

Arrived today very fast shipping from Amazon.it €239 all-in. Comes with Euro plug so picked up UK adapter to use the turbo charger.

Great phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 safeashouses

MrSzyslak

Might hop on the same bandwagon. Any issues you only notice after a few hours?

Yea I have a problem. I keep using the NFC facility to pay for things. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Have noticed one strange thing just today, might be hard to explain but here goes..

The little curser type symbol in WhatsApp and normal messages and even typing now on Boards that identifies where the text will start (symbol kinda looks like a tear drop) I noticed this was kinda pixelated or lines running through it.

I also noticed this same thing on the selector button symbols which you use to select whether an application is on or off in settings, for example if you want to switch on or off NFC in settings.

I just restarted the phone and it is back to normal but it's a bit concerning seeing something like this only having the phone a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Wiggles~

MrSzyslak wrote: »
    Arrived today very fast shipping from Amazon.it €239 all-in. Comes with Euro plug so picked up UK adapter to use the turbo charger.

Great phone...

Does this have NFC? I read that some versions of the plus still don't have the feature and can't see any info on the Amazon page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Wiggles~ wrote: »
    Does this have NFC? I read that some versions of the plus still don't have the feature and can't see any info on the Amazon page

US version has a compass but not NFC, European version is the opposite AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I picked this up recently in the amazon prime deals and absolutely love the phone. Huge improvement on my previous one.

I've one slight issue though that I had with my previous phone too (much better here but still).

Bsaically my headphones (Sennheiser momentum) has some controls on the cable, increase/decrease volume and start/stop/skip tracks button. Sometimes, instead of playing/stoping music, it will start the google voice thing. So it's looking for me to say something.

Anyone have any ideas how I can stop this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭914

The moto g5s and g5s plus are expected to be displayed by Motorola on the 25th July. G5s plus is expected to have a dual camera and pack 4gb ram and 64gb internal storage, while also increasing the screen size to 5.5inch.

Advertisement