Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G5 Plus

Options
  • 25-03-2017 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Does anyone have any idea if the Moto G5 Plus will be gracing these shores soon?

And if not the easiest place to pick one up online that will ship to Ireland?

Cheers

Comments

Argos have some stock but not sure if it's G5 or G5 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Argos have some stock but not sure if it's G5 or G5 plus.

Argos only have the G5. Haven't seen the G5 plus for sale anywhere in Ireland yet. No doubt it'll turn up soon in a few places. Amazon UK will probably get it soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 justahuman

Read online that carphone warehouse bought exclusive rights to sell the plus in the U.K., assume that means it will not be available elsewhere in U.K. But potentially that it would be available eventually in Irish carphone warehouse.

Having said that the Lenovo p2 is still not available in Ireland for anywhere near the 200 pounds it sells for in the U.K. and that's been out for yonks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Amazon.de also taking pre orders and they will ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Amazon.de also taking pre orders and they will ship to Ireland.

Yes, that part of Europe seems to be your best bet. Look at retailers in the Netherlands too. The G5 Plus is available there.

Make sure it is the version with NFC and 4GB, Moto seem to be playing musical chairs with variants of this phone, it is quite hard to determine what model is being offered, on certain websites..

EDIT: Check out this, 'everyday user' AMA, of a Moto G5 Plus, over on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/616ix6/i_recently_got_a_moto_g5_plus_ama/

That user has also posted photos here:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMgN8nTKrU-tsznquUDBZX59kxITla_ahrnmpZ_V0A5U1i6V3PMxEBlq2S05Z6OfA?key=cmt4T2kyMzZnTTR5M2xyeERrNk1pTWJaQzdNQzB3

There's a bit of a haze on the outside shots, inside seems okay. Close up looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭pandabat

Lenovo UK & Ireland say that they "have no current plans to bring Moto G5 Plus to Ireland" so you're reliant on whatever overseas offers are available for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Any indication on when this'll be available to buy on amazon uk or any of the other EU amazons? I know you can pre-order it on amazon.de, butt there's no release date as far as I can see.

You can get it on carphone warehouse UK, but not sure would they deliver to parcel motel in the north?

Why not just buy directly through Motorola.co.uk? You'll have to pay with PayPal and use parcel motel or similar, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Basil3 wrote: »
    Why not just buy directly through Motorola.co.uk? You'll have to pay with PayPal and use parcel motel or similar, though.

Had a look there, but it's out of stock and has been for a few days, and i couldn't find when it'd be back in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

I had been looking at amazon.de to order but spotted its 3gb,carphone warehouse in UK have it listed at 2gb,anyone spot a 4gb plus that will ship to Ireland? Would there be a noticeable difference between a 3gb and 4gb?

• Advertisement

Some customers seem to be receiving theirs already but 4th April was the original pre-order delivery date. They may have a rolling delivery window but it should become clearer in next few days

Any indication on when this'll be available to buy on amazon uk or any of the other EU amazons? I know you can pre-order it on amazon.de, butt there's no release date as far as I can see.

You can get it on carphone warehouse UK, but not sure would they deliver to parcel motel in the north?

Some customers seem to be receiving theirs already but 4th April was the original pre-order delivery date. They may have a rolling delivery window but it should become clearer in next few days

I had been looking at amazon.de to order but spotted its 3gb,carphone warehouse in UK have it listed at 2gb,anyone spot a 4gb plus that will ship to Ireland? Would there be a noticeable difference between a 3gb and 4gb?

As far as i know, the 3GB version is the official European variant. Anything else may be from other regions and may be missing important LTE bands or expected features like NFC. I'd assume in CPW's case that it's a typo though.

I believe that 4gb is optimal right now but, seeing as this is not a flagship chipset, this wouldn't be a major concern. I've read nothing online so far about noticably poor performance in normal usage with the handset. For the money, probably can't complain too much

I would however also caution that there is no charger listed as being in the box on CPW. I know that this was the case with the original 8GB Moto G in this country although subsequent variants have included chargers (although not necessarily turbo-chargers). Seems that some German retail packs have a 15W turbo charger included but then don't include headphones.

Even though CPW in the UK do not list a turbo charger in the box contents, Lenovo UK & Ireland have said that one is present in both the CPW retail packs and their own retail packs

pandabat wrote: »
    As far as i know, the 3GB version is the official European variant. Anything else may be from other regions and may be missing important LTE bands or expected features like NFC. I'd assume in CPW's case that it's a typo though.

I believe that 4gb is optimal right now but, seeing as this is not a flagship chipset, this wouldn't be a major concern. I've read nothing online so far about noticably poor performance in normal usage with the handset. For the money, probably can't complain too much

There's two chipsets, I'm guessing you know this, but others might not. Amazon.co.uk are most certainly shipping the Qualcomm MSM8937 Snapdragon 430.

Doesn't matter what RAM you're getting, if it is 'just' the Moto G5, that'll be the chipset.

GSM Arena - Moto G5: http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g5-8454.php

The Moto G5 Plus from India and Germany/North West Europe is most probably a Qualcomm MSM8953 Snapdragon 625.

GSM Arena - Moto G5 Plus: http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g5_plus-8453.php

I would avoid Amazon.de unless you're 100% sure of what you're getting.

Then there's NFC/No NFC, depending on country..

I'm looking for an easy purchase of a Moto G5 Plus, dual sim and the chance to carry a large amount of data/music on an external card..

Just to be clear, I'm only talking about the G5 Plus as that is the thread's title. I wouldn't bother with the standard G5 anyway due to the bare-minimum chipset and the inferior camera. If you're stuck to a certain budget then maaayyyybee but if you can stretch go for something else.

The Amazon.de version has 3GB Ram, NFC and dual-SIM plus microSD.

The only downside of the Amazon.de handset that I can see is that the charger might only come with a 2-pin EU plug which would mean than UK/Irl users would need an extra adapter to use. It's possible they include some slide-on/slide-off pin adapters in the box for both EU & UK/Irl though. I've asked the question on Amazon.de - will update if I get an answer.

Doesn't the G5 Plus have fast charge of some sort too, I wonder if it is limited to the particular charger plug that comes with the phone..

I know nothing about the Snapdragon 625, 'upgrading' from a Nexus 5.

The 625 in the G5 Plus should mostly outperform the 800 in the old Nexus 5. You should see major improvements in efficiency though (the battery life that you get at that level of power).

Oh and yes Turbo charging is in the Moto G5 Plus but you need a compatible charger. This seems to be included in German retail pack (albeit probably in a 2-pin format) but seems to be absent from UK retail kit as outlined on CPW's site (although that would need to be confirmed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Amalgam wrote: »
    Doesn't the G5 Plus have fast charge of some sort too, I wonder if it is limited to the particular charger plug that comes with the phone..

I know nothing about the Snapdragon 625, 'upgrading' from a Nexus 5.

I have the G4 its Qualcomm quickcharge 2.0 compatible. Its a specific standard. I use a Aukey QC 3.0 charger with it. (gets 2.0 charge speeds) I assume the G5 series is the same.

• Advertisement

....The Amazon.de version has 3GB Ram, NFC and dual-SIM plus microSD.....

Where did you see that spec listed.

beauf wrote: »
    Where did you see that spec listed.

A combination of the Amazon.de page specs/description and the answered questions below it from people who have received their orders. There's also reference in the answers to an EAN that you can look up to see the exact item on various websites. Again this is for the Moto G5 Plus only.

Just an update - even though CPW in the UK do not list a turbo charger in the box contents, Lenovo UK & Ireland have said that one is present in both the CPW retail packs and their own retail packs

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

Just an update - even though CPW in the UK do not list a turbo charger in the box contents, Lenovo UK & Ireland have said that one is present in both the CPW retail packs and their own retail packs

Surely cpw would be selling a 3gb?thought I seen it listed as 2gb on their site

I'm quoting from CPW Moto G5 Plus page (https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/motorola/moto-g5-plus.html#!colour=grey&capacity=32GB&dealType=sf) here:

"I was advised by Motorola yesterday (4/4/2017) that on the Motorola website the G5 Plus is 3GB / dual sim for £249.00 sim-free but on other retail outlets (I assume that includes Carphone Warehouse) it is 2GB / single sim. And here that is £249.99 sim-free. However there is currently no stock on the Motorola website. Carphone Warehouse support suggested they might get the 3GM RAM version at some time in the future."

I must say that I am surprised to see such a variance in a single market (the UK). I wouldn't go for 2GB model myself.

Just got confirmation from Amazon.de that my previous ordered G5 plus has been shipped and i should have it on Tuesday :)

Just got confirmation from Amazon.de that my previous ordered G5 plus has been shipped and i should have it on Tuesday :)

Cool - if you could update/confirm to everyone what's in the box then you might put a few minds here at rest.

Cool - if you could update/confirm to everyone what's in the box then you might put a few minds here at rest.

Will do

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how does the G5 Plus compare to the Nokia 6? (based on the specs, the latter isn't out yet)

• Advertisement

GSM arena has a review and compares them at the end

http://m.gsmarena.com/nokia_6-review-1597.php

Advertisement