Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G5 Plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭pandabat

A good resource on all things mobile is here:

gsmarena.com

Here's their review of the Nokia 6:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_6-review-1597.php

They also have a phone comparison tool (amongst others)

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8453&idPhone2=6885

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The nokia 6 would seem to be close to the G5 non plus with a better camera

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8453&idPhone2=6885&idPhone3=8454

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

I'm considering the Nokia 6, Moto G5 Plus and the Sony XA1 - for and against all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm considering the Nokia 6, Moto G5 Plus and the Sony XA1 - for and against all.

haven't looked at the Sony. Between Nokia and Moto; Nokia has a larger screen, Moto has a faster chip - otherwise very similar in spec, Moto is more expensive though.

If it were me I'd look to see how they dealt with problems of their previous models.

Nokia isn't Nokia, its effectively a new company so you have no previous history to go on.

• Advertisement

With camera being a priority, the Nokia is coming in third - just waiting on the Sony XA1 to be reviewed to see if there’s much between it and the Moto.

Engadget seem very impressed with the G5 Plus. Can’t believe it’s not being stocked in Ireland though.

On the spec sheet, the XA1 sounds fairly cool with a very promising camera.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/06/moto-g5-and-g5-plus-review/

I think many mid range phone cameras should be better, than their specs would suggest.

I think I would stick to more critical reviews of the phones to get better picture (:)) of how good or bad they are.

beauf wrote: »
    I think many mid range phone cameras should be better, than their specs would suggest.

I think I would stick to more critical reviews of the phones to get better picture (:)) of how good or bad they are.

Any particular sites you favour with regard critical reviewing? Genuinely curious, not being snarky :)

I'd take a general sampling of reviews from cnet, anandtech, trustedreviews, gsmarena, phonearena, androidpit and whomever else you can find. GSMArena are quite good if you read the review very carefully but they have a tendency to try and end on a high note for the phone that they are reviewing and so relying purely on the conclusions doesn't always give the full story. Every site/reviewer has a different bias and different outlook so I find, to get a balance, that you have to read quite a few reviews. Some sites will put things down as negatives that you won't care about (same for positives) so it's important to approach the reviews from your own standpoint as to what's important to you. Also bear in mind that some sites might rave about the value of a particular handset but the pricing in their country may be very different to what you'll have to pay for the phone. Always keep an eye on LTE bands in particular when buying phones (esp. Chinese ones) as they may lack certain bands (e.g. band 20) that you may rely on here for decent coverage ... and then sometimes you might just want to take a punt or fancy a phone regardless of the reviews. Don't get too bogged down in the highest Antutu score or the absolute highest DoxMark score. If the phone is right for you and does what you need it to do then that's as important as anything else. Similarly, a well-reviewed handset may not suit very well - I remember holding the Galaxy S6 Edge for the first time and I hated the way it felt. I would have been gutted if I'd bought it myself but it's a highly thought of handset and other people love it so, like a lot of things, different strokes for different folks. I've decided to take a punt on the Honor Pro 8 myself - might regret it but on the other hand it looks like it ticks a lot of boxes for me!

Any particular sites you favour with regard critical reviewing? Genuinely curious, not being snarky :)

Much as what was mentioned before. Including amazon, but I look at the negative reviews and is there anything there that's a show stopper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Saw a review of the Nokia 6 that was quite critical of the camera, TBH I don't use my phone camera all that much though.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Saw a review of the Nokia 6 that was quite critical of the camera, TBH I don't use my phone camera all that much though.

Saw that in a few places.

Camera would be important for me.

if you interested in the camera, some of the photography forums also do reviews of phones, and focus on the camera (:)).

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lenovo-moto-g5-plus-camera-first-impressions-review

http://www.the-photography-blogger.com/index.php/2017/02/28/nokia-6-camera-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Oathkeeper

lads does anybody know if it will come out on amazon uk soon because as of now amazon.de is not shipping to ireland and i tried ordering from the motorola.co.uk website and it needed a billing address and i put in my address and it wouldnt let me order i also tried carphone warehouse uk and the dont accept non uk debit cards so well im kinda in a sticky situation need a phone badly so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Oathkeeper wrote: »
    lads does anybody know if it will come out on amazon uk soon because as of now amazon.de is not shipping to ireland and i tried ordering from the motorola.co.uk website and it needed a billing address and i put in my address and it wouldnt let me order i also tried carphone warehouse uk and the dont accept non uk debit cards so well im kinda in a sticky situation need a phone badly so

Could be a while before Amazon.co.uk have it. Carphone warehouse warehouse currently​ have it exclusively.
    You could try parcel motel / address pal and PayPal with Motorola.
    Or
    Amazon.it are accepting pre orders, shipping next week and will send to Ireland?

tried parcel motel for motorola and it didnt work because it still sent me to billing address and i cant use parcel motel address as billing address

Drive up to the north?

I think I'd get a Samsung A3-2017 or similar instead. I don't think the G5 or G5 Plus are that much different from other phones at their respective price points.

The G4 got no security updates while I had it, just the Nougat one. So I won't be expecting any different n from the G5.

I don't think it's the same bang for buck that the early moto g was . Far more competition now.

not possible dont have a car usually take luas to work

It probably will come to Amazon uk but could be a few months I'd say. Try asking question with Lenovo Uk & Irl on Facebook. They might take a day or two to respond but they usually answer. Other than that try some other German/Dutch/French/Spanish/Italian websites. To be honest, I can't understand why Lenovo aren't just settling this through Argos in Ireland or selling it direct through Digital River but there you go. Kind of pissed me off a bit seeing as the handset is present on their IE website and they ask you to register for updates on it there also.

not possible dont have a car usually take luas to work

Do you know anyone who lives/had an address in NI/Uk that could order it for you? Could always bung them an extra €5/€10 to say thanks and make it worth their while if you feel bad about asking them

• Advertisement

Quick review here

https://youtu.be/FPR-bUQzF0I

tried parcel motel for motorola and it didnt work because it still sent me to billing address and i cant use parcel motel address as billing address

I ordered from Motorola UK directly a few weeks ago. Just used parcel motel. Payment had to be with PayPal. If an Irish card was used, the order was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Basil3 wrote: »
    I ordered from Motorola UK directly a few weeks ago. Just used parcel motel. Payment had to be with PayPal. If an Irish card was used, the order was cancelled.
    Have you received your phone yet, or any indication of when you will?

Have you received your phone yet, or any indication of when you will?

I bought the Moto Z a few weeks back. My shipment was delayed, but when it finally shipped, it left on a Wed/Thu from China, and I got it on a Monday.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about not being the G5....was just talking about ordering from Motorola UK in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Basil3 wrote: »
    I bought the Moto Z a few weeks back. My shipment was delayed, but when it finally shipped, it left on a Wed/Thu from China, and I got it on a Monday.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about not being the G5....was just talking about ordering from Motorola UK in general.

That's fine, good to know that they deliver to PM and it seems speedy enough​. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I just received my new G5 plus from Amazon.de and I can confirm it has 2 pin euro Turbo charger, dual sim, NFC and 3GB RAM.
    I Haven't had time to play around with it yet as it is still setting up but I really like the 5.2 screen size. It feels much better in my hand and should make one handed browsing much easier than it is with my G4.

Too bad Amazon.de are no longer shipping it to Ireland :) Thanks for the update though

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mout

Had one ordered from Komplett but discovered they have no stock till early May so cancelled order.
    Have now ordered from Amazon.de who are again shipping to Ireland (odd).
    Will have to deal with euro plug when arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Xterminator

just bought one from amazon.de, delivered to ireland no bother est shipping april 27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

just bought one from amazon.de, delivered to ireland no bother est shipping april 27

Done the same estimated delivery 19th(paid for faster delivery) looking forward to it coming after struggling with an ultra 6 with damaged screen for the last couple of month's,any suggestions for covers?

Advertisement