Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playerunknown's : Battlegrounds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Lukker- wrote: »
    They were a relatively small team when they built the game though, using store bought assets isn't uncommon, even for AAA developers. I mean Bluehole didn't even make Miramar, Raven software did. There is definitely some fundamental issues with the game. Like I dont think FPP was ever meant to be an exclusive mode. The game was made for TPP, especially Errangel. Things like doorways and windows are consistently at awkward and weird heights when looking throw the FPP camera.

I do think re-designing lots of textures and models is on the road map

Really? I didn't know that. Can't find anything on the internet that says so. Where did you learn this?

FPP was an after-thought, for sure. The game is clunky in FPP particularly when you try to ADS and all you are hitting is the surface in front you despite the aiming reticle clearly showing otherwise.

Fair enough, they have plans to re-do textures, etc., but this wouldn't be necessary now if they had just made their own assets from the outset. Built for purpose stuff instead of effectively jerry-rigging assets designed for other contexts into your own game.

Hopefully a competent developer not driven by milking its customer base dry will announce a Battle Royale game at E3 and I will be jumping ship when that happens. PUBG is a classic case of squandered good fortune and immeasurable success, only to see it lose its position because of greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The models are bought from the UNreal store hence heights etc:

I notice another crate is being tested with this patch.

COD: Black Out announced. Battlefield will probably have something similar.

So long, PUBG. You had a good year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Falthyron wrote: »

As in, goodbye from you?

Otherwise, I don't think COD will affect PUBG player stats at all. On PC at least.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    As in, goodbye from you?

Otherwise, I don't think COD will affect PUBG player stats at all. On PC at least.

Options are a good thing. More BR military shooters will mean more choice to find the best BR experience out there. It might also make BlueHole wake up and start fixing their game.

COD: BlackOut may not appeal to everyone, but you can be guaranteed Battlefield will reveal something similar next week and then we have E3. How many more BR games will be out there? If one competent developer makes a satisfying BR game, that plays better, isn't as broken as PUBG, and doesn't feel as exploitative, why would you go back to PUBG?

• Advertisement

lol

Pretty sure I could bet COD whatever and BF whatever wont get the player count PUBG got at its peak......combined.

Pretty sure they had a good year tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Options are a good thing. More BR military shooters will mean more choice to find the best BR experience out there. It might also make BlueHole wake up and start fixing their game.

COD: BlackOut may not appeal to everyone, but you can be guaranteed Battlefield will reveal something similar next week and then we have E3. How many more BR games will be out there? If one competent developer makes a satisfying BR game, that plays better, isn't as broken as PUBG, and doesn't feel as exploitative, why would you go back to PUBG?

Have you not heard of Fortnite ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Have you not heard of Fortnite ?

Fortnite has already won the battle Royale wars.
    EA would have to invest serious money into developing and promoting battle royal within battlefield and even then it’s a €70 game.
    If they do add in a battle Royale game it will be little more than an afterthought as EA won’t want to spend money chasing a lost cause.
    Whereas Fortnite is free, sure it’s cartooney but Epic are constantly updating it and adding free content.
    Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a fan of fortnite and love pubg and I’d love for a proper supported engine such as frostbite to run it but I can’t see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Blazer wrote: »
    Fortnite has already won the battle Royale wars.
    EA would have to invest serious money into developing and promoting battle royal within battlefield and even then it’s a €70 game.
    If they do add in a battle Royale game it will be little more than an afterthought as EA won’t want to spend money chasing a lost cause.
    Whereas Fortnite is free, sure it’s cartooney but Epic are constantly updating it and adding free content.
    Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a fan of fortnite and love pubg and I’d love for a proper supported engine such as frostbite to run it but I can’t see it happening

I'd happily get into Fortnite if there were no building mechanic.
    I watched some of that Ninja guy's streams...and the amount of building ...especially at that high level...is insane.
    I don't like PUBG cause it's buggy as fck and ye get killed outta nowhere half the time.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The gunplay in CoD would rule out me going near it regardless of what game mode they add. Battlefield would suit BR better I think but I'm happy enough to stick with PUBG until someone comes along with superior version that plays similarly. I don't have half the issues other people seem to have with bugs and performance thankfully.

Ghost Recon is the only game that jumps out in recent memory that I would love to see a BR mode in.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »

Ghost Recon is the only game that jumps out in recent memory that I would love to see a BR mode in.

again Ghost Recon's engine is primarily designed for tpp rather than fps with the exception of R6 siege which means it would run into the same issues as PUBG and also it would have trouble scaling up to 100 players or so.
    Even Frostbite can only handle 64 players but then again frostbite is a hugely advanced engine with destruction etc. You could remove the destruction to increase the number of players but again this would require significant development.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

again Ghost Recon's engine is primarily designed for tpp rather than fps with the exception of R6 siege which means it would run into the same issues as PUBG and also it would have trouble scaling up to 100 players or so.
    Even Frostbite can only handle 64 players but then again frostbite is a hugely advanced engine with destruction etc. You could remove the destruction to increase the number of players but again this would require significant development.

We'll likely find out soon enough, but it's strongly rumoured that the new BF game has been trying to implement BR. EA are the type of company who see what Epic is doing, and will decide they want some. DICE and BF are the obvious guys to try this with. It will for sure need some tweaking, but before PUBG I would never have thought you could have 100 players in an Unreal Engine game.

DICE also have first party access to the engine, so optimising and customising things like network performance will be much easier, and they already have decent experience dealing with 64 players. BF1 was also 60 tick by default, with some BF4 servers were as high as 120 tick.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I'd happily get into Fortnite if there were no building mechanic.
    I watched some of that Ninja guy's streams...and the amount of building ...especially at that high level...is insane.
    I don't like PUBG cause it's buggy as fck and ye get killed outta nowhere half the time.

Fornite is 80% building. It's possible to survive the early game without it, but you won't get far later on without at least basic. You do get into it, but it's not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

i cant see why Treyarch haven'tt changed COD to projectile based shooting,i think it would improve the game... and would work better for their BR mode..

They said in the presentation the other day that it wasnt business as usual but i see nothing different from the actual footage shown,just nicer (relatively) graphics and not doing a campaign..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

bigphil2 wrote: »
    i cant see why Treyarch haven'tt changed COD to projectile based shooting,i think it would improve the game... and would work better for their BR mode..

They said in the presentation the other day that it wasnt business as usual but i see nothing different from the actual footage shown,just nicer (relatively) graphics and not doing a campaign..

I actually think that the BR mode in COD could be a stinker, the way that they're boasting about levels from previous games being integrated into a larger map makes me think that they're trying to take every shortcut going to get this out on time, with out consideration for if it'll actually make sense in a BR environment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I heard a crazy rumour there's a 4 player Co op defense mode in fortnite.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I actually think that the BR mode in COD could be a stinker, the way that they're boasting about levels from previous games being integrated into a larger map makes me think that they're trying to take every shortcut going to get this out on time, with out consideration for if it'll actually make sense in a BR environment.

I'm finding it hard to imagine what it would be like. Every location gonna be like a town/village?

I'll most likely have very little interest in the finished product, if it has things like perks, in built wall hacks (thermal vision), etc etc it's gonna be regular ****e in a bigger map.

I'm finding it hard to imagine what it would be like. Every location gonna be like a town/village?

I'll most likely have very little interest in the finished product, if it has things like perks, in built wall hacks (thermal vision), etc etc it's gonna be regular ****e in a bigger map.

But a javelin perk in a loot crate? Now that could be interesting. Everyone gets a 30 sec warning and then let the player guide the missile to any poor sap in the open :)

Fortnite is free and has the players, its up to the others to take those players away and pay money.......

BF will have BR i will buy that for the BF part, I usually buy COD for the SP part but not this year( I actually like the SP of COD most of the time).

PUBG (mod and game) is the start of it, it doesnt mean its the pinnacle of it and tbh i dont see Bluehole actually making the best version of it. Just the 1st, if I was a betting man(which I am) I would bet on the Frostbite engine or another dev with decent knowledge of the unreal engine (so Fortnite) being th4e BR winner.

But a lot players dont like the Fortnite TF2 style so there is a market there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Here's a map from the reveal trailer, seems like it.

jnxwv4Vl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

A fairly big patch today , I didn't bother reading the patch notes yet but I did play a few games . The map loaded every time for me....hats a first and also items seemed to have spawned in on time rather than 10 seconds after I ran into the room .

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I heard a crazy rumour there's a 4 player Co op defense mode in fortnite.

Started playing to get my kid a key as you have to reach a certain point to get keys for others (founders deluxe), thats say level 5... im level 43 now and cant believe i bought this last year and never played it. I have 50ish "survival crafting zombie open world " games and this gem was easily the best of the lot just sitting there.

Well worth a purchase, STW is very good.

They increased the tick rate to a minimum of 30, and as high as 60 during the mid/end game.

Game and guns feel really good now, there is a bit of desync still, but overall jiteryness is greatly reduced. Hit reg feels a lot cleaner now, but it's actually easier to get shot, particularly running cover to cover, bit more punishing perhaps.

They've also optimized the landing a bit, I've noticed I get +20 FPS in the early game, so I rarely drop below 80, even with 40 people in Hacienda.

Still the issue with guns not showing when you first drop, but they had something, which they had to roll back, but hopefully that's fixed soon too.

It may all be too late really, but the new map might bring people back.

I can't see anything saving the down turn of this game tbh. I've had my fill by now. Eventually we all get bored of the same mechanics repeated.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did they add the new map yet? They had so many beta tests of it any excitement I had for it is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Did they add the new map yet? They had so many beta tests of it any excitement I had for it is long gone.
    A new test for it started a few hours agoðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I can't see anything saving the down turn of this game tbh. I've had my fill by now. Eventually we all get bored of the same mechanics repeated.

I think they can definitely turn it around. New map, new weapons, new vehicles, new modes and performaance fixes will really boost it. Lot of quality of life improvements can be made too. And the loot boxes need a serious review. They've removed all sense of achievement. I've earned enough points for 6 crates in the last two weeks and five of them need keys to open. And you've no guarantee what you get for that €2.50 key could not be bought on the market for 10c. Let people purchase keys with points and rebalance the points costs would really change things up.

I think they can definitely turn it around. New map, new weapons, new vehicles, new modes and performaance fixes will really boost it. Lot of quality of life improvements can be made too. And the loot boxes need a serious review. They've removed all sense of achievement. I've earned enough points for 6 crates in the last two weeks and five of them need keys to open. And you've no guarantee what you get for that €2.50 key could not be bought on the market for 10c. Let people purchase keys with points and rebalance the points costs would really change things up.

I’m a huge fan of pubg but it’s been obvious for the past few months that bluehole are out to grab as much money as they can while pubg is still relevant.
    The loot boxes are a prime example of this.
    If bluehole really wanted to get their playerbase back they could release the game for free and have their micro transactions for loot boxes.
    However they want both.
    I would certainly have no issues with new players getting the game for free, I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of it so can’t complain if new people get it for free.

I’m a huge fan of pubg but it’s been obvious for the past few months that bluehole are out to grab as much money as they can while pubg is still relevant.
    The loot boxes are a prime example of this.
    If bluehole really wanted to get their playerbase back they could release the game for free and have their micro transactions for loot boxes.
    However they want both.
    I would certainly have no issues with new players getting the game for free, I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of it so can’t complain if new people get it for free.

You can't really give it away for free yet without pissing off the people who paid €30 for it.

• Advertisement

You can't really give it away for free yet without pissing off the people who paid €30 for it.

It’s the joys of early access.
    Besides look at EA. They’re giving away the dlc free for BF1 18 months after the game launched.
    What they could do is announce that in 30 or 60 days pubg will go free to play. It’s doubt anyone would complain then and if they did? Frak em, they’d be the first to complain they can’t get a game because there’s no one left to play it.

Advertisement