Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The best camera I've ever had is the contour roam 2. You could throw that thing off the roof of your house and I bet it would survive.

Yep, mine is coming out of retirement in the interim. Savage yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

He stopped, seemed pretty shook too, apologised said he didn't see me (despite hi vis) and that he never yields at that junction?!? I'm grand bike is grand so didn't really know what I could do other than let him on his way....

I don't think you're the first poster on this thread to mention that high-viz didn't seem to help a driver to see you. I wish that that senior Garda who was spouting re high-viz earlier in the summer and the RSA who are obsessed with it would read the thread, or themselves encounter some of the SMIDSY folk!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

News there may be a cyclist down in vicinity of the IFSC, no hard info.

Pulling off-topic again, but GoPro have reviewed the photos of my camera damage and have asked me to send back for a replacement unit. Legends.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Danbo! wrote: »
    Pulling off-topic again, but GoPro have reviewed the photos of my camera damage and have asked me to send back for a replacement unit. Legends.

Result, absolute heroes. I should take a look at what new cameras they release in the next year when I look to replace the contour.

• Advertisement

Result, absolute heroes. I should take a look at what new cameras they release in the next year when I look to replace the contour.

I couldn't find a mount for the roam to use in the interim, but am gonna buy a seat post mount to use it as rear facing cam. The thing is bulletproof!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I couldn't find a mount for the roam to use in the interim, but am gonna buy a seat post mount to use it as rear facing cam. The thing is bulletproof!

Apologies mods, I know this is off topic.

This will allow you to use any gopro mount with the contour:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1-4-inch-Quick-Release-Tripod-Monopod-Mount-Adapter-for-GoPro-Hero-3-4-camera-/401347904150?hash=item5d72330296:g:P6oAAOSw8GtZQNlH

And this will allow you to mount under the saddle:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Racing-Cycling-Seat-Saddle-Rail-Clamp-Mount-For-Gopro-Hero-4-3-3-2-1-SJ5000-/132205236550?hash=item1ec80bd146:g:ByoAAOSw42JZKAXW

I've had that mount for years now, no issues.

Ah great, thanks. Was looking at something similar to the second one, didn't know the first existed.. Cheers.

Now, everyone back to almost being hit :o

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

GoPro support is some of the best in the tech industry. They replaced my damaged camera after the clips broke off the housing. (GoPro Hero, where the case and camera were combined). So hopefully they will offer something!

The best camera I've ever had is the contour roam 2. You could throw that thing off the roof of your house and I bet it would survive.

Back OT, had a number of incidents in my commute home yesterday and into work yesterday. People following the leader on poor roads and passing dangerously. I dread the schools starting back, that's when the real fun begins.

Hats off to GoPro they replaced my HERO a few months back when the same fault occurred in mine. Had a new one within a week

If you want a cam for evidentiary footage be aware that GoPros use of MTP edits timestamps which could be very problematic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not the usual near miss - i nearly ran over a squirrel in irishtown on the way in this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

The last while on the commute into the city centre from Dublin 15 I've been turning right at the Aras, and heading via Islandbridge and the canal. Now maybe that has caused me to let down my guard, or I've forgotten the norm, but this morning I decided to check out the new arrangement at Bachelor's Walk that everyone was talking about, and the carry on on that route didn't compare!

While not a near miss, an absolute F you to the see-you-next-tuesday who, because I had the "audacity" to be cycling on the road (had been in the hard shoulder and pulled out because I can't phase through cars!) data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQj2u8hN9Yzz4TWcJBpzTMQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 thought an appropriate response was to sit behind me beeping his horn every 3 seconds, and even continued to do so as he was passing. Never mind that by the roundabout he had gained all of a car length on me :confused:

Then there was the dozy bint in a Micra (I think) who rather than enter the bus lane (I know illegal, but preferable to this) decided that her indicator gave her right of way, and opted to just turn across the bus lane in spite of cyclists coming up it after the Croppie Acre. Thankfully her indicator had already got me pulling out around her so no real evasive action required (as I assumed she was going to do something stupid).

I'm a bit torn as to what to do in the longer term, as I know the canal is going to get worse as schools go back, but if the same is to be said for the quays, it's a lot more hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

ED E wrote: »
    If you want a cam for evidentiary footage be aware that GoPros use of MTP edits timestamps which could be very problematic.

Could you not remove the SD card from the camera and transfer it across using a card reader? Or is the storage non removable?

cython wrote: »
    had been in the hard shoulder and pulled out because I can't phase through cars!

Sounds like your fault for not phasing through cars :rolleyes:
    papu wrote: »
    Could you not remove the SD card from the camera and transfer it across using a card reader? Or is the storage non removable?

This is what I do as MTP is quite slow. Previewing direct from the card is faster and 99% of the time I'm just deleting footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

New Continental GP4000s on the bike last night.

An emergency stop this morning to prevent rear-ending a car in front! Great timing. Those tyres are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Cycling along the Clontarf cycle path outside 360 Cycles couple on footpath and young fella on a "flicker". Young lad decides to "flick" right across into cycle lane hitting me on the left arm. I'm braking, trying to stay upright, unclip, I'm up over the edge and onto the road....luckily for me there's an old lady driving about 30kmh....if it was a bus, car, truck I wouldn't be typing this.

Needless to say I got the whole "he's only a child"..... when I managed to scrape myself up off the deck..

Torres09 wrote: »
    Cycling along the Clontarf cycle path outside 360 Cycles couple on footpath and young fella on a "flicker". Young lad decides to "flick" right across into cycle lane hitting me on the left arm. I'm braking, trying to stay upright, unclip, I'm up over the edge and onto the road....luckily for me there's an old lady driving about 30kmh....if it was a bus, car, truck I wouldn't be typing this.

Needless to say I got the whole "he's only a child"..... when I managed to scrape myself up off the deck..

What's a flicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

What's a flicker?

I'm guessing/assuming something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

had a very close pass yesterday, while towing my boy in the trailer :mad:

i've been so happy with how drivers in general have given us so much space when we have him in it (although it does in my mind reflect a general attitude of drivers really not wanting to risk hurting a child but being much more ok with taking those risks when i'm solo) judging by the relative passing distances.

anyway, coming up the howth road just after leaving the coast at the kilbarrack end and a large mercedes van passed within a few inches. no traffic coming towards us to make him think he had to pass that close. i was absolutely fuming and had left the cameras at home as never feel the need for them when we're just out with the boy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

anyway, coming up the howth road just after leaving the coast at the kilbarrack end and a large mercedes van passed within a few inches. no traffic coming towards us to make him think he had to pass that close. i was absolutely fuming and had left the cameras at home as never feel the need for them when we're just out with the boy.
    Is there a cycle lane there? Sometimes when there's a cycle lane and the person on the bicycle is in it, drivers don't think they need to give any additional room. Beggars belief.

Or it was just the usual driver issues; hungover, distracted and/or on the phone.

Working from home today and off tomorrow so no cycling til wednesday - are the schools back today? Any heavier than usual traffic?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Working from home today and off tomorrow so no cycling til wednesday - are the schools back today? Any heavier than usual traffic?

Some back today, some tomorrow, most Wednesday and Thursday.

I was running late today and traffic was not much heavier at 8.30 than normal. but I expect that to all change tomorrow when thankfully I'm in late

Is there a cycle lane there? Sometimes when there's a cycle lane and the person on the bicycle is in it, drivers don't think they need to give any additional room. Beggars belief.

Or it was just the usual driver issues; hungover, distracted and/or on the phone.

yeah there is a cycle lane and the outside wheel of the trailer probably would have been on the line of the lane.

i imagine he just didn't give a sh1t tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

i imagine he just didn't give a sh1t tbh.
    Very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

although it does in my mind reflect a general attitude of drivers really not wanting to risk hurting a child but being much more ok with taking those risks when i'm solo
    Yep, always found it noticeable when out with the children how much more room and patience people driving have when they see it's children. So they're conscience is ok risking them being fatherless when taking risks when I'm solo or with a group of adults, once they don't directly injure/ kill a child...

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Yep, always found it noticeable when out with the children how much more room and patience people driving have when they see it's children. So they're conscience is ok risking them being fatherless when taking risks when I'm solo or with a group of adults, once they don't directly injure/ kill a child...

other than yesterday the contrast in space allowed when i have the trailer on is so pronounced that while the above is an incredibly troubling conclusion to come to it's also somewhat inescapable :(

papu wrote: »
    This is what I do as MTP is quite slow. Previewing direct from the card is faster and 99% of the time I'm just deleting footage.

You can, but then you end up on the road with an empty camera. When you do it regularly it gets annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Sauntered down the Dodder, leaned over Ball's Bridge to watch the workmen lifting up ancient-looking slabs with a JCB and wonder what they were doing. Apparently I missed the Army Bomb Disposal Squad blowing up a grenade the workmen found by about an hour.

I didn't, however, miss seven (seven!) egrets nesting in a tree while a heron stalked below and the two adult swans and their adult-sized but grey cygnets sailed serenely past.

Edit: apparently it was Anglesea Bridge (described by some non-geographiliterate journos as "near the American Embassy" - it's the one at the end of Beaver Row). I missed that one - went across the metal footbridge instead. But what the heck are they building between Ball's Bridge and the nameless (afaik) bridge at the Herbert Park Hotel? Pictures later.

426417.JPG

426419.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

I am hoping that the works are part of the dodder greenway.
    The council engineer wisely suggested that at least that stretch be combined with the flood defence works.

I have my fingers crossed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement