Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

TheChizler wrote: »
    That is a thing of beauty. Why can't more things be done right?
    It's impressive all right when you view it from above. That type of design combined with proper signage telling you what lane to be in when approaching (and not just road markings) would make roundabouts a lot easier to negotiate. And get rid of traffic lights on them too. They are the work of the devil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Spawell roundabout recently repainted like this, google maps images still shows the concentric circles, and sure drivers act like they're still the old way anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

5uspect wrote: »
    These new ones in Tyrrelstown I suppose.
    426817.jpg

They are a mess in reality though. The markings on all those roundabouts just don't work, look at the track for which the red car should follow.

And there's no consistency. One roundabout will have the right lane straight or turn right, the very next one will be a right turn only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They are a mess in reality though. The markings on all those roundabouts just don't work, look at the track for which the red car should follow.

And there's no consistency. One roundabout will have the right lane straight or turn right, the very next one will be a right turn only.

What specifically is the problem with the track of the red car? They entered in the right hand lane, and can go either straight on or right? :confused: I'll grant you that joining from the east or west entrances is messy due to 2 lanes feeding into 3, but if people actually followed the road markings the pictured markings make infinitely more sense than the concentric circle approach where people just switch lanes when and where they please.

As for a lack of consistency in lanes vs intended direction of travel, that is hardly unique to roundabouts marked in this fashion!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Danbo! wrote: »
    Spawell roundabout recently repainted like this, google maps images still shows the concentric circles, and sure drivers act like they're still the old way anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    It's the same in Tyrrelstown and the N2-N3 link road nearby. Lane discipline is very poor, and in my experience a lot of users take the race line and cut across the hatching. Coupled with that and the high centre barriers approaching the roundabouts, your intentions can be misjudged by those entering the roundabouts; I've often had vehicles encroaching from the left.

They also promote right turns from the left lane, even when it's not feasible. Look at the middle arrow on the south entrance to this roundabout. It says straight and right, but if you stayed in the lane you'd only be able to go on straight.

The whole area feels messy and uncomfortable to navigate both driving and cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You an have your walkinstown and tyrllestown roundabouts all you want. I took on Red Cow today on the bike for the first time. Never again.

Also on topic, somewhere past the National Aquatic Centre today, I had some moron try to squeeze by at a traffic calming island. He had time before it, he would've had time after it but he chose the worst possible place.

cython wrote: »
    What specifically is the problem with the track of the red car? They entered in the right hand lane, and can go either straight on or right? :confused: I'll grant you that joining from the east or west entrances is messy due to 2 lanes feeding into 3, but if people actually followed the road markings the pictured markings make infinitely more sense than the concentric circle approach where people just switch lanes when and where they please.

As for a lack of consistency in lanes vs intended direction of travel, that is hardly unique to roundabouts marked in this fashion!

The car can obviously go anywhere it wants, but look at the second set of thatched markings it's about to encounter, it's in no man's land.

Re the consistency, I'm just making the point they're not the model they're being held up to be. If you have a set of traffic coming up to a roundabout in the left lane aiming to go straight where they've been able to do so every other roundabout in that area, it's a bit dumb all of a sudden preventing traffic from doing so. I don't think there's advanced signage on any of them re what lane is what.

I'm around that area regularly and without fail I'll come across a collision on one of them every week or two.

RobertFoster covered some of the issues above too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The car can obviously go anywhere it wants, but look at the second set of thatched markings it's about to encounter, it's in no man's land.
    I'm not sure I see the problem. If they want to take a further exit on the right they just move into the right lane after the hatchings.

As you look the pic the car is at 3 o'clock. If it wants to exit at 9 it can follow the lane it's in and go wide. This leaves the inside empty after the thatch for a car behind it to move in, looking to take the same exit, and both can come to a squeeze.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not sure i follow - are you suggesting it's about to enter the hashed off area (the position of the car in the aerial shot doesn't help here, to be fair - it looks like its about to drift into the lane to its right); the lane it's in becomes the 'middle' lane - which will allow it to exit to the south, or continue to the west.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I have to admit that I don't like them. They're awkward to drive around and the vestigial left turning lane appears out of nowhere a few meters from tbe roundabout.

Drivers will spend their time watching the road markings rather than their surroundings where as a good driver knows how to use a concentric circle roundabout properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Cycling into the city from Chapelizod last night circa 10pm and heard a car horn behind me in the distance. Then again a bit closer behind me. Car speeds past and there is a person gesticulating out the window, appearing to be pointing toward the cycle path/footpath. Instinctively I through up the middle finger in response as they sped off. Next thing the car's brakes came on and it came to a stop in the lane. Considering it was dark and the road was deserted, and I had no idea who or what was in the car, I sped up and passed on the right hand side, letting out a bit of a roar; Anyway, this didn't go down too well, and the car started to rev up and speed toward me from behind; I braced myself for the worst, for a split second thinking I was about to become a statistic due to some deranged lunatic; A relatively close pass ensued. Not pleasant though. Gave a Deliveroo worker one of my lights for the back of his bike when I got back into the city as he had none; I had several lights on my bike, and was wearing both a helmet and high vis.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Camera.

We shouldnt need them but that's how nutcases like that get taken out of circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

ED E wrote: »
    Camera.

We shouldnt need them but that's how nutcases like that get taken out of circulation.
    Considered it, but not for me I'm afraid. I do regret not reporting it to the next Garda car I came across however. The car was actually quite distinctive with a white racing line down the middle of it. Bizarre experience if honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Considered it, but not for me I'm afraid. I do regret not reporting it to the next Garda car I came across however. The car was actually quite distinctive with a white racing line down the middle of it. Bizarre experience if honest.

It's difficult enough to get the Gardai to do anything to protect cyclists even with clear video evidence, so I really doubt if they would be doing much with your report, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

It's difficult enough to get the Gardai to do anything to protect cyclists even with clear video evidence, so I really doubt if they would be doing much with your report, sadly.

I have had mixed results, one guard paid a visit to the driver at her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Coming down the Clonskeagh Road heading around towards Ranelagh yesterday morning when a car pulls right in out front of me from a side road at the very last minute and then stops with the end of her car in the bike lane. I had to slam on brakes and nearly went into the back of her. She was totally oblivious as she had very important matters to attend to on her mobile phone. Reg noted and call logged with Trafficwatch this morning. I’m not holding my breath but would love if someone could pop out and remind this bloody bint in her black bmw (ah I love a bit of alliteration!) about the mobile phone laws!

Chuchote wrote: »
    Nobody told me He has returned? I never knew.

Mine, today, not so much a near miss as a definite irritation. I'm sailing along Upper Rathmines Road at a moderate speed but soaking wet and cold in a sudden heavy shower, when a Mummy comes sauntering across, her back to the traffic, leading her pink-dressed little one by the hand. I ring the bell and roar "Look out!" and she turns around and pouts "Slow down!" I was going at walking speed, but of course it wasn't her fault…

Some people shouldn't be put in charge of children.

I had a similar self important 'yummy' mummy start to lead her precious darling across the pedestrian crossing while the red man was still displayed and I was going through on orange.

I got shouted at to 'watch the lights' or maybe actually she was shouting at herself! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Chiparus wrote: »
    I have had mixed results, one guard paid a visit to the driver at her home.
    Correction: one guard told you that they paid a visit to the offending driver's home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Vel wrote: »
    I had a similar self important 'yummy' mummy start to lead her precious darling across the pedestrian crossing while the red man was still displayed and I was going through on orange.

I got shouted at to 'watch the lights' or maybe actually she was shouting at herself! :rolleyes:

Mind you, you're not entitled to go through on orange in all circumstances, only to proceed with caution while stopping for pedestrians crossing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

orange means 'stop unless it is dangerous to do so' rather than 'proceed with caution'.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Reports going around about a weirdo spitting at women on bikes along the canal. Anyone encountered this?

My GF told me she got spat at (but they missed) by a skanger guy in the back of a blacked-out-windowed-car at the top of the Crumlin Road near the hospital the other day: it pulled out of a side turn (it sounded like this turn), prowled up beside her, the back window rolled down, and a skanger-looking head popped out and attempted to spit at her, but missed. She called him a "dirty knacker" (which must have sounded funny in her Brazillian accent :pac:) and cycled on. A black car, probably at about 21:00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

orange means 'stop unless it is dangerous to do so' rather than 'proceed with caution'.

Yes, I'm thinking of flashing amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

A truck carried out a very close overtake last night on me as I was cycling through a village - scared the ah*t out of me!!

I got the name of the company - should I drop them an email?
    There usually quite good when overtaking, quite patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

marvin80 wrote: »
    A truck carried out a very close overtake last night on me as I was cycling through a village - scared the ah*t out of me!!

I got the name of the company - should I drop them an email?
    There usually quite good when overtaking, quite patient.

Yeah, I would; cars I don't really mind if they're close-ish, as long as they're slowish, but close-passing trucks are a no-no even if they pass slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

Not a near miss, but a guy on a bike, with child in rear seat passed me twice this morning, breaking red lights. First time, he stopped in the median of the Malahide rd. with child sticking out into the lane. I was so gob-smacked I couldn't say anything to him when I passed him. I notice a lot of cyclists with kids riding on the footpath, which is technically illegal, but I doubt anyone would object. I just couldn't believe this though.

Mind you, you're not entitled to go through on orange in all circumstances, only to proceed with caution while stopping for pedestrians crossing.

Oh yes I know. I should clarify that I had started through just before it went orange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

plodder wrote: »
    Not a near miss, but a guy on a bike, with child in rear seat passed me twice this morning, breaking red lights. First time, he stopped in the median of the Malahide rd. with child sticking out into the lane. I was so gob-smacked I couldn't say anything to him when I passed him. I notice a lot of cyclists with kids riding on the footpath, which is technically illegal, but I doubt anyone would object. I just couldn't believe this though.

I've seen similar behaviour, along with kids on their own bikes blindly following parents through red lights. Another favourite is the parents who use cycle tracks as a spot to plant their buggies while waiting to cross the road, while they themselves wait safely on the path. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Danbo! wrote: »
    I've seen similar behaviour, along with kids on their own bikes blindly following parents through red lights. Another favourite is the parents who use cycle tracks as a spot to plant their buggies while waiting to cross the road, while they themselves wait safely on the path. :confused:

Back in my courier days, I'd love the parents crossing the road when the cars were stopped (but the bikes weren't), and leading with the buggies :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

RayCun wrote: »
    Back in my courier days, I'd love the parents crossing the road when the cars were stopped (but the bikes weren't), and leading with the buggies :rolleyes:

It used to be that some parents would dangle the buggy in the road lane as they were waiting on the footpath as traffic was passing. It boggled my mind to be honest. I think this habit has regressed a bit over the years (thankfully).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement