Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Hurrache wrote: »
    In fairness I can understand why to an extent. Their residential road is probably mobbed from all hours in the morning with people leaving their cars there while they get a train. I know it's hypocritical given my previous post, but in my example it was nowhere near a train station and was visiting someone living on the street.

Then they can apply for restricted parking like anyone else in a busy area. They don’t own the public roads - if they want to restrict public access then they can have the same restrictions for themselves and their visitors as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is there anywhere in fingal which does this? I suspect the concept is much more confined to DCC areas.
    I would hazard a guess that there's no on Street parking meters within several km of that estate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This is not me. Lifted from Twitter.

https://twitter.com/barryo79/status/1123481523192254464

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Wow, constant stream of cyclists and they just throw the door open :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hope he scratched the hell out of the door!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Wow, not been doored yet, but looks sore, hope ur all right

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

6 months. I had plenty of availability to give a statement in that time.

Maybe that's the legal time limit alright. I wonder if they maybe set a calendar reminder for 6 months after they get a report to remind them to then tell you they can't proceed with it, but can then mark it as "Case Closed" in the Pulse database? They get the credit, no effort required. One more in the "Solved" pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    One of those coned estates near here I live.

https://goo.gl/maps/P2E5YX43N354TiqMA

Coolmine station is close by, So I'm sure they;re inundated with free parkers. "I'm only allowed park my car here on this public road, not you".

In fairness, an estate that near a busy train station should be restricted parking as blackwhite mentions below with paid meters. Why park and pay at the train station when you can park in a residential estate just up the road.
    blackwhite wrote: »
    Then they can apply for restricted parking like anyone else in a busy area. They don’t own the public roads - if they want to restrict public access then they can have the same restrictions for themselves and their visitors as well
    Is there anywhere in fingal which does this? I suspect the concept is much more confined to DCC areas.
    I would hazard a guess that there's no on Street parking meters within several km of that estate.

Not too familiar with the estates around Coolmine station but the next stop at Clonsilla station has parking meters in the Porters Gate estate across the road. Also implemented in residential estates in south Dublin with all the estates around Vincent's hospital having parking meters.

Not too familiar with the estates around Coolmine station but the next stop at Clonsilla station has parking meters in the Porters Gate estate across the road.
    interesting, i did not know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wow, not been doored yet, but looks sore, hope ur all right

If ever there was proof that nobody reads anything anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ED E wrote: »
    If ever there was proof that nobody reads anything anymore.
    I think it was on Tuesday!

Regardless of the above, I *am* alright

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A neighbour of my parents has had some weird feud with another neighbour going back about 20 years.

Neighbour A, asked Neighbour B to move their car as they were blocking their driveway and they needed to get out. Neighbour B made a big stink about it and got threatening. Neighbour A, doesn't look much, but he isn't one to back down and didn't. Neighbour C took B's side despite them being completely wrong.

Now every Sunday, Neighbour C Puts his bins, and Neighbour Bs bins out along the road, and parks his car along the road to prevent Neighbour A, or their visitors (they have a few adult children who all drive) from parking in front of them. He leaves his car on the road a lot, despite having a completely paved driveway just because he's a git.

Neighbour A's wife works for the council though and has carefully reminded him of various by-laws that he is ignoring

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

jjpep wrote: »
    Some do, some don't.

Some join cycling campaigns or start community projects like bike buses for kids. Some vote based on cycling policies.
    But more people who cycle do need to make their voices heard. It's too late now but perhaps on the next local election cycle (no pun intended) the various cycle campaigns should put forward single issue candidates for improving cycle infrastructure safety.

Like your thinking but not sure your idea is practical for local elections.There are so many wards you'd need a massive number of candidates to stand. But your idea of political pressure is right. Recently heard a TD say that until Molesworth St/Kildare St is packed with protesting cyclists nothing will change. We'd like to think politicians would listen to common sense re congestion, health, safety, value for money but alas....
    Dublin Cycling Campaign have a good #ibikeivote graphic they are encouraging people to use. Also, not cycling specific but the Environmental Pillar has downloadable or printable posters to put on your door/window with environment questions for candidates. We saw re the water charge protests re the squeaky wheel....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

tuxy wrote: »
    Wow, constant stream of cyclists and they just throw the door open :(

Tenner says they have a 'Baby on Board' sticker on the rear window.....

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    For their little angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Over the last two days in Dublin City, I have seen 6 cyclists getting a ticket from the garda. All around Kildare St, Dawson St and Nassau St.

for running reds, i would suspect?

If it was for running reds (and not excusing the cyclists) but If be curious to know how many cars were also caught in the same period

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

If it was for running reds (and not excusing the cyclists) but If be curious to know how many cars were also caught in the same period

They should start looking into people using their phones while on a vehicle. There are WAAY more people doing it than running reds. Cars and bicycles alike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

for running reds, i would suspect?

I didnt see what they done

I didnt see what they done
    There aren't that many reasons a garda could be giving them a ticket in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

I can give you a 99% probability of 0 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Over the last two days in Dublin City, I have seen 6 cyclists getting a ticket from the garda. All around Kildare St, Dawson St and Nassau St.

Which gig was it for? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Which gig was it for? :)
    The Secret Policeman's Ball :pac:

My dad was in a taxi a good few years back when the driver announced over the radio that there were "tickets for the ball under the bridge on Mellowes Rd." - coincidentally a common spot in Finglas for a Garda checkpoint :)

nowt to do with cycling - was on the bus over to irishtown earlier to meet friends. i am not joking, the bus had to come to a complete stop in the middle of o'connell street because there was a woman walking down the middle of the road - walking *down*, not walking across the road - so engrossed in her phone that not only did she not see the bus, she didn't hear the beeping until we were just about to lose sight of her (we were in the front seat on the top deck).
    about a minute later, we saw an near fatality as a chap crossed the road at the PTSB on the corner of abbey street, he walked straight out on a red pedestrian light in front of a bus, face buried in the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

nowt to do with cycling - was on the bus over to irishtown earlier to meet friends. i am not joking, the bus had to come to a complete stop in the middle of o'connell street because there was a woman walking down the middle of the road - walking *down*, not walking across the road - so engrossed in her phone that not only did she not see the bus, she didn't hear the beeping until we were just about to lose sight of her (we were in the front seat on the top deck).
    about a minute later, we saw an near fatality as a chap crossed the road at the PTSB on the corner of abbey street, he walked straight out on a red pedestrian light in front of a bus, face buried in the phone.

Would be natural selection there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    For their little angles.

Ah cute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Ah cute.

I always find drivers with such signs hanging to be a bit obtuse in regards other road users

• Advertisement

guys, the thread is going off on a bit of a tangent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement