Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

tuxy wrote: »
    The only safe option on roads like that is to take a position where they must cross into the other lane to overtake.

With people like this in charge of providing a safer cycling infrastructure (or not providing), the future doesn’t look bright...unless #IBikeIVote takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

He's not standing for re-election.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

He deleted some of his tweets. What a time to tweet something like that, with the tragedy in Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Some of his tweets were very anti cyclist. What a clown.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He deleted some of his tweets. What a time to tweet something like that, with the tragedy in Ballinasloe.

This isn't the first time that he's shown his ignorance towards cyclists. However by deleting some tweets is he acknowledging that his tweets criticising vulnerable road users were completely inappropriate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

On the commute home this evening on the south quays at about 17:40 in the teaming rain a taxi driver from the outside lane made a quick and aggressive steer toward the footpath on the section before the James Joyce bridge. He took out the cyclist that was 20m in front of me hitting him up onto the footpath and only for his reaction and cycle craft he'd be under the car.

Despite the heavy rain, car had no lights and no indicator was used changing lanes or mounting the kerb. Given the sudden side sweep I thought there might be history between them and the taxi driver was deliberately trying to kill/injure the cyclist so I pulled up behind waiting to see the outcome. It was all for a fare at the side of the road.

Cyclist was pretty calm although suspect in shock and in fairness to the driver he handled the bad situation as well as he could thereafter. Got out and apologised to the cyclist and spoke to him at length before then apologising to his fare and then me. Cyclist didn't wait around thereafter so I caught up with him further on to see if he was alright and to say I had witnessed the incident and gave him the reg if he wanted to report it.

From memory now the reg was XXXXXX and a reg check matches the black Toyota Avensis which did the damage but checking the TransportForIreland website they don't have any taxi registered under that number. I never looked at the taxi plate to run a check on that number.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

From memory now the reg was XXXXXXX and a reg check matches the black Toyota Avensis which did the damage but checking the TransportForIreland website they don't have any taxi registered under that number. I never looked at the taxi plate to run a check on that number.
    It checks out (under vehicle licenses tab)...
    https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/check-if-a-taxi-driver-is-properly-licensed/

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Thanks, bizarre, it's working now alright but wasn't giving me a result last night. Either way the driver didn't look much like a XXXXXXXX, he was a small 5' 6" black man of about 40 with a shaved head with round black rimmed glasses. Isn't there a means of seeing a picture of the license holder XXXXXX also, remember seeing a screenshot on this tread previously but nothing on that TFI website. Can taxi drivers rent out their car and license plate to other drivers so that the car is working 24hrs a day?

Try the Driver Check app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Is it right to be posting people's IDs like that. Doesn't sit well with me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,425 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've deleted/edited several posts - as it seems there is a bit of uncertainty over the identity of the driver, please no posting of driver details or photos. if you think it's legally actionable, go to the gardai with the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

hesker wrote: »
    Is it right to be posting people's IDs like that. Doesn't sit well with me.

Well they drive around with their number on the side of the car that is basically their ID, so i don't see a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well they drive around with their number on the side of the car that is basically their ID, so i don't see a problem with it.

What about combining that ID with the accusation of wrong doing but lacking evidence?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,425 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they've been accused on a public forum of an offence based on an eyewitness report from someone who (self-confessedly) was not sure they had the reg plate right. that's certainly no basis to name and shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

they've been accused on a public forum of an offence based on an eyewitness report from someone who (self-confessedly) was not sure they had the reg plate right. that's certainly no basis to name and shame.

That's the key bit in this situation

ganmo wrote: »

I think it’s more than that. Surely everyone should be entitled to argue their case in front of a judge even if they have admitted guilt at the time.

Don’t like the idea of posting photos of people prior to a conviction. And even then it’s murky.

Surely boards have a policy on this

ganmo wrote: »
    it's not just that; even if the poster had claimed for definite that was the reg, there's no evidence other than his or her word.
    and i suspect the policy of boards is 'don't for god's sake drag us into a slander or libel case'.

I think it’s more than that. Surely everyone should be entitled to argue their case in front of a judge even if they have admitted guilt at the time.

Don’t like the idea of posting photos of people prior to a conviction. And even then it’s murky.

True enough, murky to an extent. What it does offer though, is a slight bit of protection to vulnerable road users who have to share the road with these 'professional drivers.'

I'm not calling for a lynching of people prior to due course obviously. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Boards do have a policy on this and the moderators attempt to remove such posts as soon as they come up. We are volunteers though and do rely heavily on posters simply not doing it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: Boards do have a policy on this and the moderators attempt to remove such posts as soon as they come up. We are volunteers though and do rely heavily on posters simply not doing it.

Wasn’t having a dig at mods in case it came across that way.

Had a quick look at the guidelines and charter there now and didn’t see anything on this. Could it be considered for inclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Had my first 'proper' near miss in a while, mostly lately it's been close passes. Approaching a two lane roundabout, going straight through, no motor traffic coming with me.

There's a few cars waiting at the 9 o'clock entrance - driver in the nearest lane is already on the roundabout, with half the car over the white line. Car behind it is poking a bit further out. I can't see the driver, but I can see the bumper edging forward, and my spidey sense is tingling.

As I come through the roundabout, the second driver indeed pulls out and makes an immediate left turn into the same exit I'm heading for, right into the area of road where I wanted to be. I'm already braking and moving to my right so I end up just alongside the car instead, and I give a shout to let the driver know what happened.

As they pull off I can see the driver's head jerking around checking mirrors, and then the hazards flick on and they slow down. As I pass they say "sorry, I didn't see you".

I shrug my shoulders. Is there a response that would change anything?

• Advertisement

Driving along here this morning and i was in the right lane and parallel with someone in a Fiesta who tried to overtake/lefthook a cyclist as she was turning into the left. I blew her out of it.

It nearly caused her to drop her makeup brush as she was driving along. She nearly went into the side of me.

Apologies to the dude on the bike, he might have thought i was beeping at him. Don't think he saw the move she was trying to pull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

buffalo wrote: »
    Had my first 'proper' near miss in a while, mostly lately it's been close passes. Approaching a two lane roundabout, going straight through, no motor traffic coming with me.

There's a few cars waiting at the 9 o'clock entrance - driver in the nearest lane is already on the roundabout, with half the car over the white line. Car behind it is poking a bit further out. I can't see the driver, but I can see the bumper edging forward, and my spidey sense is tingling.

As I come through the roundabout, the second driver indeed pulls out and makes an immediate left turn into the same exit I'm heading for, right into the area of road where I wanted to be. I'm already braking and moving to my right so I end up just alongside the car instead, and I give a shout to let the driver know what happened.

As they pull off I can see the driver's head jerking around checking mirrors, and then the hazards flick on and they slow down. As I pass they say "sorry, I didn't see you".

I shrug my shoulders. Is there a response that would change anything?

I know it frustrating, but I often think that if someone acknowledges their mistake then they're probably the type of person who will learn from it and as a result are less likely to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Late red light breaker turning left off Butt Bridge at the Custom House this morning. Didn't seem to bother him too much that he nearly hit me. Same guy continued through the next red at the IFSC junction, so at least he's consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why not? Posting a photo or video doesn't impact your ability to argue your case in front of a judge. These are District Court offences, so they're not going to have a jury involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Nice lack of observation from this Dublin Bus driver. I'm doing 30Kph

https://youtu.be/2u6cAziymXM

He knew what he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

He was a She.

He was a She.

Ah, well, maybe she didn’t ;)

Nice lack of observation from this Dublin Bus driver. I'm doing 30Kph

https://youtu.be/2u6cAziymXM

Prick of a thing to do. If I had that done to me I think I’d be taking centre lane in future

• Advertisement

Why not? Posting a photo or video doesn't impact your ability to argue your case in front of a judge. These are District Court offences, so they're not going to have a jury involved.

Posting someone’s photo and ID makes them a potential target on a public platform. That doesn’t feel right to me. Especially for a guy who apologised on the spot at length. Follow due process by all means, guards, courts whatever, as is your right.

Anyway I’ve asked the mods to consider this scenario in general in line with boards guidelines so let’s see where it goes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement