Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Why not? Posting a photo or video doesn't impact your ability to argue your case in front of a judge. These are District Court offences, so they're not going to have a jury involved.
    c'mon, you're not that dumb. accusing and identifying someone of something they shouldn't have done in a public forum, based on nothing but hearsay, is what keeps libel lawyers in expensive shirts.

lest this not be clear - we will remove any attempt to identify individuals who may or may not have been involved in 'interactions' on the road.
    and lest this part not be clear either - a video of a taxi with reg number 19D12345 pulling a dick move is not grounds for posting details of driver John. C. Fancypants, as the video itself is not proof that Mr. Fancypants was driving the car, even if it's registered to him. no more than i am guilty of a road traffic offence if i lend my car to my father and he does something stupid in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

hesker wrote: »
    Prick of a thing to do. If I had that done to me I think I’d be taking centre lane in future

Not sure centre lane of a two lane road is right... but anyway I've submitted a complaint into Dublin Bus for all it will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

c'mon, you're not that dumb. accusing and identifying someone of something they shouldn't have done in a public forum, based on nothing but hearsay, is what keeps libel lawyers in expensive shirts.

lest this not be clear - we will remove any attempt to identify individuals who may or may not have been involved in 'interactions' on the road.
    and lest this part not be clear either - a video of a taxi with reg number 19D12345 pulling a dick move is not grounds for posting details of driver John. C. Fancypants, as the video itself is not proof that Mr. Fancypants was driving the car, even if it's registered to him. no more than i am guilty of a road traffic offence if i lend my car to my father and he does something stupid in it.

Just to be clear - I'm not arguing with a moderator ruling. I will comply with whatever policy Boards.ie sets out.

My point is around a factual situation - a video of a driver breaking a red light or a photo of a car parked on the path.

In this scenario, I don't see any difficulties in boards.ie hosting a photo or image. Statements about a named individual may be problematic, but the photo or video on it's own is not a problem IMHO.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think it's more the attempt at identifying the taxi driver using the reg or taxi number.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Nice lack of observation from this Dublin Bus driver. I'm doing 30Kph

https://youtu.be/2u6cAziymXM

Claim your USB stick for that one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My point is around a factual situation - a video of a driver breaking a red light or a photo of a car parked on the path.
    Yep, I don't have a problem with this. It was the posting of identifying photos I was referring to - earlier in the thread someone posted a photo of a driver purportedly involved in an incident - not a photo taken at the scene.

I'd regard a video as actual evidence

not really a near miss, more a WTF moment - cycling through donabate earlier, heading towards portrane, a chap in a car came out of the church (from the other side of the road) and swung in front of me - into my lane - as if i wasn't there. i'd spotted him in time, so i'd braked in anticipation. sat behind him and waved a 'hello, i'm here' a few times at him in his rearview mirror, but he obviously didn't see me or didn't care, because moments later he swung left off the road without indicating - and me sitting less than a car length back clearly visible in the passenger side wing mirror.

also, later in the afternoon, i was on the M50 in the car, approaching the ballymun exit, doing probably a little north of 80km/h, with a woman sitting less than one car length behind me without a care in the world. she was smoking, and i've always found it a little odd that you're not allowed drive with a phone in your hand, but can drive holding a burning ember in your hand and that's somehow legally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

.....and i've always found it a little odd that you're not allowed drive with a phone in your hand, but can drive holding a burning ember in your hand and that's somehow legally fine.

Slightly off topic, but I was passed by a fella on the M4 heading west a few years ago. Cigarette in the left hand and casually scrolling down through his phone. All at 120kph plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but I was passed by a fella on the M4 heading west a few years ago. Cigarette in the left hand and casually scrolling down through his phone. All at 120kph plus.

It's unreal the amount of people that are doing this now. It's very worrying when you're on the bike. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's unreal the amount of people that are doing this now. It's very worrying when you're on the bike. :(

The fact that we comment about it as if its shocking anymore is just as surprising. Driving along the M50 last week, guy swerves into the overtaking lane, no indicator and keeps the same speed as the traffic in the lane beside him, essentially blocking the road. Doesn't bother me too much, its the fact that I was mid overtake and my front bumper was level with his rear wheel when he went for it. Used to looking at front wheels from cycling and just saw it turn and I let my foot off the accelerator. No more than a cm between our bumpers. Stayed there for 12km, when he pulled back in after cars behind me started losing it, there he was, reading from a website, never even looked up at the road.

I am actually surprised when people are not on their phones nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am actually surprised when people are not on their phones nowadays.

and it amazes me that more aren't being killed as a result of this behaviour, given how endemic it has become. maybe it's as you described above, where other drivers are paying enough attention to prevent a collision....that's not exactly a dependable long term strategy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Not strictly a near-miss - but passing through traffic at the RDS this morning I saw a woman with her phone wedged into the top half of steering wheel with video/tv show playing on it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

and it amazes me that more aren't being killed as a result of this behaviour, given how endemic it has become. maybe it's as you described above, where other drivers are paying enough attention to prevent a collision....that's not exactly a dependable long term strategy though.

I suspect that the Gardai aren't as thorough in checking phone use as part of collision investigations compared to their counterparts in the UK. There have been a bunch of road deaths specifically connected to phone use by the driver.

And for todays Close pass Taxi Plate 17482 142-D-22090, never caught up with him unfortunately https://youtu.be/ch9r2_F6Gtg

The pass was indeed close but I'm bitterly disappointed you didn't ride up that inviting looking ramp at the end there :D

The pass was indeed close but I'm bitterly disappointed you didn't ride up that inviting looking ramp at the end there :D

Yeah I was very tempted! surprisingly nothing there to block it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

And for todays Close pass Taxi Plate 17482 142-D-22090, never caught up with him unfortunately https://youtu.be/ch9r2_F6Gtg

shockingly bad from the taxi driver.

on the ramp - fair play to the truck driver for leaving the cycle lane free, a very rare thing indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I knew there was a chance of this happening so I made eye contact and drew level with him he was looking at me when it put the indicator on ffs

https://vimeo.com/333187009

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Ran to work instead of cycling today - on Alexandra Rd there were a lot of guards, 2 fire brigades and an ambulance - shoe on the road and bike up against the railing. Looked like someone was getting attention inside the ambulance.

Fingers crossed all ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Had a close pass from a Buslink driver this morning but my camera mount wasn' secure so there's a crazy shake. Anyone able to recommend free stabilization software?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Youtube used to be able to do it, according to this lady it's no longer available, but she has a tutorial about how to do it using free software
    https://www.videoproc.com/video-process/youtube-video-stabilizer.htm

Here we go. Shake was crazy bad but should be watchable now.

https://vimeo.com/333307638

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

xckjoo wrote: »
    Here we go. Shake was crazy bad but should be watchable now.

https://vimeo.com/333307638

That's bad. Hate going up that hill. Always take the lane (and occasionally get beeped at, but hey...) Until past the council offices and the road widens.

Definitely report though.

jjpep wrote: »
    That's bad. Hate going up that hill. Always take the lane (and occasionally get beeped at, but hey...) Until past the council offices and the road widens.

Definitely report though.

Ya I take the whole lane going up the hill and normally stay out further, but the fact that there was no oncoming traffic made me a bit complacent. I've reported to buslink. Will see what they say before deciding to report it to the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

This one happened last July. It's the only one that I reported to the guards and that was due to it being right outside a garda station. Scared the crap out of me. Got a pulse number and made myself available to make a statement at any time. However, by the time the guard got around to it apparently, a time limit had passed to take the statement! He did say that the driver was called into the station the day after the incident and ended up in tears.

I was moving at 30kmph at the time, coming around a blind bend (due to vehicles parked) and I was taking the lane.

Excuse the bad hiding of the number plate and face.

seems to be a youtube glitch there; video doesn't play for me. is it set to public?

First time uploading ever to youtube...apologies for the technical issues. Will try to resolve.

ETA...think it's working now.

s/he was all over you - you can even see near the start that another motorist appears to have had to take evasive action due to the first botched overtaking attempt.

s/he was all over you - you can even see near the start that another motorist appears to have had to take evasive action due to the first botched overtaking attempt.

Thankfully I did not know exactly how they were driving behind me until I watched the video back. They crossed a solid white line at the crossroads and missed me by a few centimetres as they pulled in to avoid the traffic island. Obviously, they thought that I was squishy and would cause less damage to their car than the traffic island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Ended up in tears....

Yeah at the prospect of some action being taken against them. Tears are always the last defence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement