Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ED E wrote: »
    +

Whoever you are RIP to your wheeled steed and I hope you're not too traumatised to get back on the road again in future. About as near death as one gets.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    Glad everyone's on the path to recovery.

Is this another example of a canned response from Dublin Bus?

Trained to make a call on the radio while they're unconscious?
    The nurse that stopped the bus and saved the man's life is a hero and I hope she gets recongnised for that.
    Where are ye getting this? Was a post deleted?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thargor wrote: »

Looks like Twitter talk

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thargor wrote: »

Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 19 elric

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Christchurch this morning, 3 cars through red from Thomas Street. I must be getting immune to it, because the first two I thought "weren't too bad", but the last was quite blatant as there were cyclists already half way across the junction.

He continues on towards Lord Edward Street, pedestrian lights go red, our hero plows on through, as a pedestrian is stepping into the road waving his arms. Good stuff. I catch up to him at the next lights and he's got his head buried in his phone, texting. Doesn't spot me, but his passenger sees me looking and gives me the two fingers, window comes down, with the usual "**** off". I hadn't even said anything, hadn't actually planned on saying anything, but when I mentioned he had just broken two red lights, I get "**** off, I broke one red light". Silly me, eh?

The kicker? There's a Garda car behind him the whole time. The frustrating reality? They saw it all, and when I motion to them about the phone, I get glared at by the Gardai, who continue on, uninterested. On the plus side, they did let me move out to go around the truck and van parked in cycle lane on double yellows though, which was nice of them.

The rest of the commute had me seriously considering whether I should give up cycling. It's becoming beyond frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭hesker

The kicker? There's a Garda car behind him the whole time.

Shame on you for not realising that they are on much more serious business than preventing behaviours that will save lives.

Not sure if this is the right thread but there was a man badly injured on the Sandford Road at 8:25am this morning. He was tall, had dark black hair, was wearing a helmet and looked like he was in his late 30s. He was unconscious on the ground for a long time. If anybody knows the man, the lollipop lady right there (at the junction of Belmont Avenue) seems to have seen everything as she was telling a lady next to me in detail. I really hope he will be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Not sure if this is the right thread but there was a man badly injured on the Sandford Road at 8:25am this morning. He was tall, had dark black hair, was wearing a helmet and looked like he was in his late 30s. He was unconscious on the ground for a long time. If anybody knows the man, the lollipop lady right there (at the junction of Belmont Avenue) seems to have seen everything as she was telling a lady next to me in detail. I really hope he will be OK.

Fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Christchurch this morning, 3 cars through red from Thomas Street. I must be getting immune to it, because the first two I thought "weren't too bad", but the last was quite blatant as there were cyclists already half way across the junction.

He continues on towards Lord Edward Street, pedestrian lights go red, our hero plows on through, as a pedestrian is stepping into the road waving his arms. Good stuff. I catch up to him at the next lights and he's got his head buried in his phone, texting. Doesn't spot me, but his passenger sees me looking and gives me the two fingers, window comes down, with the usual "**** off". I hadn't even said anything, hadn't actually planned on saying anything, but when I mentioned he had just broken two red lights, I get "**** off, I broke one red light". Silly me, eh?

The kicker? There's a Garda car behind him the whole time. The frustrating reality? They saw it all, and when I motion to them about the phone, I get glared at by the Gardai, who continue on, uninterested. On the plus side, they did let me move out to go around the truck and van parked in cycle lane on double yellows though, which was nice of them.

The rest of the commute had me seriously considering whether I should give up cycling. It's becoming beyond frustrating.

Well used to the light breaking there at Christ Church. They usually do it at speed too because they see the amber well in advance and put the foot down to go through the red.

Someone who is not familiar with the sequence or rather the regular RLJ there will be killed soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Someone who is not familiar with the sequence or rather the regular RLJ there will be killed soon.
    +1, what can be very dangerous is when you get the very unusual occurance of all cars stopping as they should, and then a single one breaking a red well after everyone else has stopped.

Saw that this morning on the worst set of lights I come across. A woman about to cross was stunned, jaw dropped in disbelief. A few times I have been on the verge of shouting out to pedestrians to stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

First time poster on this thread.

A local one for me this morning. I was cycling from Ballinteer to Nutgrove along Stonemason's Way this morning at around 08:45. I'd just cycled with my own child to her school and I was well aware that the Gaelscoil on Stonemason's Way was due to start.

There is an on road cycle track with a very broken surface on the road. Traffic was busy and I was keeping pace with the line of traffic beside me. Just after the roundabout, the council have created a line of parking spaces on the left of the road opposite the school and just before the next traffic lights.

Most of the spaces were occupied and I was watching for car doors opening. Suddenly my peripheral vision picks up an indicator from the car right beside me. The car drives across me and into a space. I had to pull the brakes hard and slide into the spot behind the car to avoid a collision.

I stop and ride up to the driver's window and knock on it. The look of total and utter surprise on the driver's face confirms that she did not see me or expect to see me. I get her to roll down the window and tell her she nearly knocked me down. She is apologetic, I don't swear and I'm quite calm, just reiterate that she did not look or check. As I'm talking to her, a taxi that had been just behind us pulls up and the driver winds down the window and says to the driver, " You nearly killed her!" You know things are bad when a taxi driver takes your side.

The driver was still apologetic and claimed that she'd been having a moment with her child. I could see a toddler and a school age child in the back. I wished both of us a better day and cycled off.

There could have been a far worse outcome and her kids (and mine) would have had a far more traumatic day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭hesker

Had a very similar experience a while back with a driver pulling into a bus/cycle lane to drop off a passenger. She was initially apologetic but at the same time slightly annoyed at her dangerous behaviour being pointed out to her. I was, like you, very polite in my approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I witnessed a cyclist being hit by a car door in Fairview yesterday evening around 5.20. The guy may have actually done it deliberately, once the cyclist got over the shock he chased after them up the Malahide road.

Seanachai wrote: »
    I witnessed a cyclist being hit by a car door in Fairview yesterday evening around 5.20. The guy may have actually done it deliberately, once the cyclist got over the shock he chased after them up the Malahide road.

Report it to the Gardai. The person that was struck may have already reported it. You could corroborate his story (if the Gardai decide to act).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

They doored someone and drove off??

I’d a nasty MGIF/close pass yesterday evening approaching Doyle’s Corner in Phibsborough heading towards town. Fella in a big estate passes me within about a foot revving his engine, before turning left to head down towards the Mater. As he’s turning the corner I’m going straight through the junction on his outside so he literally saved no time. There may have been some expletives used. It’s the first one I’ve had in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Landog69

Hey, think this might have been me. It was a taxi with some young lad driving and his 2 mates. Didnt look like it was their taxi. The drove up the Howth road though, so if the incident you witnessed was up Malahide road then it was a separate incident.
    I reported to Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

From my sample size of one, it seemed to be doing the job this morning.

474675.png

Unfortunately the novelty has worn off. the entire bus lane was full of cars this morning including behind the flexi bollards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Budawanny wrote: »
    Unfortunately the novelty has worn off. the entire bus lane was full of cars this morning including behind the flexi bollards.

There's only one solution to prevent selfish people in cars using bus lanes. Bollards that retract when buses approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

There's only one solution to prevent selfish people in cars using bus lanes. Bollards that retract when buses approach.

great right up until someone crashes into them then I presume the street is blocked for days while they fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Worth it for the entertainment factor alone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

great right up until someone crashes into them then I presume the street is blocked for days while they fix it?

I think they are sturdy and reset after a collision occurs. In this day and age, I’m sure sensors can be added to alert that. A collision occurred and the local authority notified that a vehicle may need to be removed.

I think people would learn quick enough that there is no point in going into bus lanes as they won’t get very far and so there won’t be many collisions after the first few weeks.

Budawanny wrote: »

Yeah, it'll be hit or miss for a while and then people will realise they can take the piss and normal service will resume. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I think they are sturdy and reset after a collision occurs. In this day and age, I’m sure sensors can be added to alert that. A collision occurred and the local authority notified that a vehicle may need to be removed.

I think people would learn quick enough that there is no point in going into bus lanes as they won’t get very far and so there won’t be many collisions after the first few weeks.

I think they're a great idea and would love to see them everywhere. Levi a minimum €200 charge to reset it after them + make them legally responsible for any additional damage caused to the system. Also make it law that CCTV footage of their dickish driving is automatically forwarded to their insurance company so that they can know what sort of knob they're insuring.

If people got hit with all that, + bill for maybe a grand or over to fix up their own car, you would see driver behaviour improve very very quickly.

Won't happen in Irela-la-land of course. The land of no consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Tracking around a big roundabout the other day. Going past one entrance with three lanes feeding the roundabout. One of the motorists decides to go for it right in front of me. I dodge him successfully, but the heart in mouth moment when you think that the other two lanes will be triggered into launching forward and into me was not nice.

However, the adventures did not end there. Coming off at the next exit I see that the pedestrian crossing just after the exit is showing a red. I start to slow and then notice that it looks like I am in the wrong lane as a car is coming right at me from the other direction! I process what I am seeing and realise that I'm in the right place, but some gobdaw has decided to jump a queue of traffic by driving the wrong way down the road and right through a red light (with pedestrians crossing, I might add). All this with the aim of muscling back into the right side of the road at the entrance to the roundabout! A quick swerve saw me out of harm's way, but if I had been more distracted by the roundabout incident, I would have been on this gobsheen's bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Duckjob wrote: »
    If people got hit with all that, + bill for maybe a grand or over to fix up their own car, you would see driver behaviour improve very very quickly.

Won't happen in Irela-la-land of course. The land of no consequences.

Yeah. In before the mountain of whiplash claims... :(

check_six wrote: »
    Yeah. In before the mountain of whiplash claims... :(

Yeah was thinking same, I could see cases before the courts and people succeeding in getting a pay out having hit these.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not a near miss but I had a dickhead aul fella in a silver merc tailing me as I cycled (fairly quickly especially with a downhill stretch there) along the bus lane from Leixlip (the three lanes of the dual carriageway were moving slowly). When I turned back he was pointing to the left which I assumed meant that he was turning down the slip road to Lucan West/Spa hotel area.
    Nope - he stayed in the bus lane keeping close behind me.
    I looked back again and he was still pointing to the left. He eventually got a gap in lane 1 and managed to overtake me.

Three hours later, it is only just after occurring to me that he was pointing to the crappy cycle path as if I was the one in the wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Not a near miss but I had a dickhead aul fella in a silver merc tailing me as I cycled (fairly quickly especially with a downhill stretch there) along the bus lane from Leixlip (the three lanes of the dual carriageway were moving slowly). When I turned back he was pointing to the left which I assumed meant that he was turning down the slip road to Lucan West/Spa hotel area.
    Nope - he stayed in the bus lane keeping close behind me.
    I looked back again and he was still pointing to the left. He eventually got a gap in lane 1 and managed to overtake me.

Three hours later, it is only just after occurring to me that he was pointing to the crappy cycle path as if I was the one in the wrong.

Without having any idea of the condition of the cycle path "Ignorant cyclist blocks traffic as they refuse to use the perfectly fine cycle path... yada yada yada"...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Without having any idea of the condition of the cycle path "Ignorant cyclist blocks traffic as they refuse to use the perfectly fine cycle path... yada yada yada"...
    or rather, "Ignorant cyclist blocks traffic from illegally using buslane as they refuse to use the perfectly fine cycle path... yada yada yada" :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement