Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BRENT EAGLE

After living abroad for the past few years, it appears the quality of driving has deteriorated a great deal in Dub.
    Maybe i'm more sensitive having worked with traffic control in the US. It seems everyday I see at least one car break a red. No mistakes or piggybacking on a yellow. Just out right speeding through reds! I never remembered Dublin driving being quite this bad?

Is it just me being back in lawless Ireland, are there stats indicating the driving has gotten worse?

I personally blame lease plans myself...... but that's a theory for another day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Without having any idea of the condition of the cycle path "Ignorant cyclist blocks traffic as they refuse to use the perfectly fine cycle path... yada yada yada"...

You forgot-

"...and that entitles me to intimidate them and endanger their lives with the 2 tonnes of metal I'm driving"

People are f**ked up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It seems everyday I see at least one car break a red.
    it's endemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

After living abroad for the past few years, it appears the quality of driving has deteriorated a great deal in Dub.
    Maybe i'm more sensitive having worked with traffic control in the US. It seems everyday I see at least one car break a red. No mistakes or piggybacking on a yellow. Just out right speeding through reds! I never remembered Dublin driving being quite this bad?

Is it just me being back in lawless Ireland, are there stats indicating the driving has gotten worse?

Pretty sure in Dublin red light meant seven more cars....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is some drivers who know that there is pretty much a complete lack of enforcement that is to blame.

• Advertisement

check_six wrote: »
    Yeah. In before the mountain of whiplash claims... :(
    Endfilade wrote:
    Yeah was thinking same, I could see cases before the courts and people succeeding in getting a pay out having hit these.

Agree you would first need to first overhaul the law so that anyone who ends stuck on top of one of these - the law assumes they are 100% culpable unless there is evident such as another eejit smacking into them from behind and knocking them on, in which case the culpability moves to the other eejit.

Of course as I said it's wishful dreaming on my part since in Ireland we are violently allergic to holding people (and least of all people driving) accountable for the consequences of their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Christchurch this morning, 3 cars through red from Thomas Street. I must be getting immune to it, because the first two I thought "weren't too bad", but the last was quite blatant as there were cyclists already half way across the junction.

He continues on towards Lord Edward Street, pedestrian lights go red, our hero plows on through, as a pedestrian is stepping into the road waving his arms. Good stuff. I catch up to him at the next lights and he's got his head buried in his phone, texting. Doesn't spot me, but his passenger sees me looking and gives me the two fingers, window comes down, with the usual "**** off". I hadn't even said anything, hadn't actually planned on saying anything, but when I mentioned he had just broken two red lights, I get "**** off, I broke one red light". Silly me, eh?

The kicker? There's a Garda car behind him the whole time. The frustrating reality? They saw it all, and when I motion to them about the phone, I get glared at by the Gardai, who continue on, uninterested. On the plus side, they did let me move out to go around the truck and van parked in cycle lane on double yellows though, which was nice of them.

The rest of the commute had me seriously considering whether I should give up cycling. It's becoming beyond frustrating.

I regularly see this, where Garda car/bike ignores. Other day at Rathgar crossroads, 4 way ped crossing all lights green. Garda on motorbike watched cars break lights when theirs had turned red, then cyclists from all 4 access roads break ped lights.

On the one hand I'd be an advocate for cameras at junctions because we can't expect Garda presence everywhere. I never thought the argument for cameras would need to extend to even when the Garda is there, they'll most likely do nothing anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Yeah was thinking same, I could see cases before the courts and people succeeding in getting a pay out having hit these.

something like RB980CR.jpg
    only narrower so that if a car tries to go over it the car gets beached

ganmo wrote: »
    something like .. only narrower so that if a car tries to go over it the car gets beached

I would say there's more risk with something like that as it looks like it has potential to roll a car sideways which could be disastrous if its adjacent to a pedestrian area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Not a near miss but I had a dickhead aul fella in a silver merc tailing me as I cycled (fairly quickly especially with a downhill stretch there) along the bus lane from Leixlip (the three lanes of the dual carriageway were moving slowly). When I turned back he was pointing to the left which I assumed meant that he was turning down the slip road to Lucan West/Spa hotel area.
    Nope - he stayed in the bus lane keeping close behind me.
    I looked back again and he was still pointing to the left. He eventually got a gap in lane 1 and managed to overtake me.

Three hours later, it is only just after occurring to me that he was pointing to the crappy cycle path as if I was the one in the wrong.

I get this frequently on the N81 outbound in the hard shoulder. I take the lane, as there's general stop start traffic and those who are 'just' nipping up the hard shoulder tend to do it at speed with very little room. Lots of abuse and tailgating. My favourite being last summer, guy in an avensis telling me it's illegal to cycle on a motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭De Bhál

i don't drive much, but have felt lately that the amber light on a traffic light seemed shorter, is that the case or am I just imagining it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It is some drivers who know that there is pretty much a complete lack of enforcement that is to blame.

But its not just drivers, its all the road users. They are all the same.
    People walking across the road without caring etc, cars and bikes going through red lights. The Luas blocking traffic and going through red lights at pedestrian crossings, its gone mad.

No one cares any more.

And the funny thing is, if some one knocks down some one via car/bike or a pedestrian causes a cyclist to come off their bike and that person is not dead, it all seems ok.

People forget that injurying someone could have a massive knock on effect to their mental health, ie alot of people run to help with depression, so if you hit a runner and they don't look too injured, but yet they can't run a few weeks, you don't know what the depression can do to them, worst scenario is suicide.

So think before we go on the road, you might think you can't kill some one directly but you can indirectly.

My eldest and I have been making a game of counting cars with only one headlight working over the last week or so when walking the dog. It's a bad night if we arrive back with only 4 counted. Same 1.5km stretch of road , same time of evening more or less, you can say with 99% certainty it's the same cars we are seeing each evening. Another instance of people just not giving a fup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I get this frequently on the N81 outbound in the hard shoulder. I take the lane, as there's general stop start traffic and those who are 'just' nipping up the hard shoulder tend to do it at speed with very little room. Lots of abuse and tailgating. My favourite being last summer, guy in an avensis telling me it's illegal to cycle on a motorway.

On the N11 the other day, and I think it is a poster here who came upto me afterwards as I remember a description about fixed gears on the N11 from ages ago. Anyway, he was chatting to someone at the lights, lights went green and we all push off. After a few seconds, I look behind and there is a bus a good bit back but plenty of time for me to overtake. I move out, nearly finished the overtake and this bus came up behind me and started hitting the horn. I did not react very politely although did manage to let him know I was overtaking. Caught him at the lights and he told me I was not allowed in the bus lane. I informed him I was overtaking and also, I am allowed in the bus lane. He started giving it socks about legally I wasn't and I should overtake in the bike lane. I gave up after, he just didn't know and no matter what I said nothing was going to change, he believed what he was saying and I made the mistake of talking to a fanatic. Anyway, the poster here caught up with me and apologised for forcing me to overtake which I felt bad about as you didn't. You were fast enough, in fact most mornings your alot faster than me, and I only overtook as the bus lane was clear when I started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

My eldest and I have been making a game of counting cars with only one headlight working over the last week or so when walking the dog. It's a bad night if we arrive back with only 4 counted. Same 1.5km stretch of road , same time of evening more or less, you can say with 99% certainty it's the same cars we are seeing each evening. Another instance of people just not giving a fup.

Id say the only time those cars actually check their headlights is for the NCT and when the second one goes.

And if they have front fogs, then it's just for the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Just coming into my estate from coolmine roundabout in west Dublin. Car pulling out from an estate - decided he’d go anyway. Hey it’s only a guy on a bike that’s well lit up. Had to brake hard to avoid him. He stopped for some verbals.

What is it about people’s reaction when they’re blatantly in the wrong? I was in Amsterdam with work early this week - my god we have it **** here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

But its not just drivers, its all the road users. They are all the same.
    People walking across the road without caring etc, cars and bikes going through red lights. The Luas blocking traffic and going through red lights at pedestrian crossings, its gone mad.
    The Luas whatnow? The Luas takes priority. It has a couple of hundred people on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

A big thanks to artic driver (macroom haulage) on Rochestown Rd today, I was stuck behind him and traffic was starting to get heavy and a wee bit scary... guy stuck his head and arm out the window and waved me on inside him and allowed room for me in front, got me out of a sticky situation. Go raibh mhaith agat a chara!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The Luas whatnow? The Luas takes priority. It has a couple of hundred people on board.
    the law of the sea does not apply on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

This is why you never undertake a truck or bus, and i see it every day:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

twinsen wrote: »
    This is why you never undertake a truck or bus, and i see it every day:

Pretty awkward spot! Love the floating red cycle lane. The truck starts a long way from you, pretty sure you wouldn't have been in his blindspot during his MSM routine..

But theres no point on being in the right in a hospital bed (or worse)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭buffalo

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Just coming into my estate from coolmine roundabout in west Dublin. Car pulling out from an estate - decided he’d go anyway. Hey it’s only a guy on a bike that’s well lit up. Had to brake hard to avoid him. He stopped for some verbals.

What is it about people’s reaction when they’re blatantly in the wrong? I was in Amsterdam with work early this week - my god we have it **** here.

I'll never understand the people who don't have time to yield, but yet have time to have a 'chat'.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭p15574

I regularly see this, where Garda car/bike ignores. Other day at Rathgar crossroads, 4 way ped crossing all lights green. Garda on motorbike watched cars break lights when theirs had turned red, then cyclists from all 4 access roads break ped lights.

On the one hand I'd be an advocate for cameras at junctions because we can't expect Garda presence everywhere. I never thought the argument for cameras would need to extend to even when the Garda is there, they'll most likely do nothing anyhow.

There should be a concerted movement by cyclists when on foot, maybe just once a day standing by a junction and filming a sequence of red light jumping by cars, and tweeting it, along with all the reg numbers/car model in the text, to GardaTraffic. They'd go apoplectic at the "data protection issues", but if it gained traction in the media it might highlight the fact that red light jumping is not solely the territory of 'bloody cyclists'. The same for that Harold's Cross bus lane, and indeed any bus lane. It should be automatic that if you send such a video to the Gardaí, the motorist gets a fine in the post. I really don't see how they can justify NOT installing red light cameras at all major junctions, they'd pay for themselves in weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

p15574 wrote: »
    There should be a concerted movement by cyclists when on foot, maybe just once a day standing by a junction and filming a sequence of red light jumping by cars, and tweeting it, along with all the reg numbers/car model in the text, to GardaTraffic. They'd go apoplectic at the "data protection issues", but if it gained traction in the media it might highlight the fact that red light jumping is not solely the territory of 'bloody cyclists'. The same for that Harold's Cross bus lane, and indeed any bus lane. It should be automatic that if you send such a video to the Gardathe motorist gets a fine in the post. I really don't see how they can justify NOT installing red light cameras at all major junctions, they'd pay for themselves in weeks.

They point blank just don't respond to such videos anymore after their last Data Protection Gaffe

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd also send them to the RSA Twitter a/c - maybe (eventually) they will learn how the real world is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭francois

There should be a concerted movement by cyclists when on foot, maybe just once a day standing by a junction and filming a sequence of red light jumping by cars, and tweeting it, along with all the reg numbers/car model in the text, to GardaTraffic. They'd go apoplectic at the "data protection issues", but if it gained traction in the media it might highlight the fact that red light jumping is not solely the territory of 'bloody cyclists'. The same for that Harold's Cross bus lane, and indeed any bus lane. It should be automatic that if you send such a video to the Gardaí, the motorist gets a fine in the post. I really don't see how they can justify NOT installing red light cameras at all major junctions, they'd pay for themselves in weeks.

Cars are continually breaking the red light at that bridge-Yesterday while the filter light to turn onto the canal was green 3 cars breezed through it, I gave the bird to the last car who cheerfully gave me a thumbs up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'd also send them to the RSA Twitter a/c - maybe (eventually) they will learn how the real world is!

The RSA dont like when you do that either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

francois wrote: »
    Cars are continually breaking the red light at that bridge-Yesterday while the filter light to turn onto the canal was green 3 cars breezed through it, I gave the bird to the last car who cheerfully gave me a thumbs up

The response might be that legal advice is that it'd be against the Constitution, lack of due process or some excuse like that. Still, doing something, at least hassling the RSA or AGS about it, is better than doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You could report each incident to the Garda Trafficwatch phone line, or by email to the local station. For best results, you would track and report follow up (or lack of) monthly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A near miss for the cyclist, but a hit for the bike. Not sure what happened though.

https://twitter.com/broadsheet_ie/status/1103971282746523650

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement