Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

For anyone who cycles up harolds cross road towards the bridge, i noticed this morning they were putting in plastic bollards beside the last bus stop approaching the bridge. I'm not sure if they extending it further as they only had 4 or 5 down when i went past but will be interesting tomor morn to see how many cars still go in the bus lane

I saw quite a few cars still enter this area(one cut in right in front of me behind a bus) and the first bollard was already damaged :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Sort of the usual, but illustrative maybe; turning from High St to Lower Bridge St Dublin, a silver 15-D Audi A3 saloon driver (might check the camera, those smaller saloons and VW Golfs have displaced the BMW a bit as car of choice for the angry little prick) passed really close.
    I was in Australia 24 years ago and in Sydney every intersection had these. If there was a political will it would be done, but our politicians prefer not to go there.

That could pay the National Debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

hesker wrote: »
    Not a strictly cycling related incident but anyway.....

I’m not in Dublin that often but was on foot yesterday evening waiting to cross the pedestrian lights at the Bord Gais theatre with about 5 others. Green man comes on and we all start to cross. After about 2 steps a car comes sailing through. Gave us a bit of a fright. Wondering is that kind of thing fairly common in Dublin. I’ll be a bit more wary in future.

Alot of road users break the lights in Dublin. Its getting worst now. There is no respect on the road anymore, all road users thinks they have the right to do what they want these days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

He would have been fine if he was wearing hi-viz.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How does that even happen, I can see a lapse in concentration with someone going down a slip road in error, but youd be in the hard shoulder and walking back fairly quick.

How did he end up in the second overtaking lane, sounds insane

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

looks to be here where he joined. really cant figure out how he could have been in the outside lane by mistake, if you track the road back.

looking closely, he never pedals once, and is moving fast enough up that hill, so its either a modified ebike or a petrol engine bike.
    both illegal and shouldnt be there, but probably explains what kind of person this is.

looking at the carrier, i doubt theres kids in it. the wind cover flapping is a giveaway for me.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4061597,-2.8970682,3a,75y,96.48h,71.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spMq0wsfN5o2Bj9pIk7IDzg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Shocking journalism if you can even call it that but then again its the Mail

Apparently the cyclist is cycling on the road which is a normal national road, and the road changes to a motorway at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

Thanks Ferris, did that. I wonder what the typical call back time is? Within a week? We'll see.

Two weeks since reporting my last one now, still no contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Plomber

For anyone who cycles up harolds cross road towards the bridge, i noticed this morning they were putting in plastic bollards beside the last bus stop approaching the bridge. I'm not sure if they extending it further as they only had 4 or 5 down when i went past but will be interesting tomor morn to see how many cars still go in the bus lane

...had the pleasure of negotiating this this morning. All it effectively does is reduce filtering space for bikes and motorbikes between lane one and two forcing both out into the path of oncoming traffic. It has all the hallmarks of a desktop exercise that started with the premise that the bus lane is used bus those authorised to use it only. This section of road ( between Harolds X park & the Canal) is one where cyclists are often the majority in rush hour but is designed for Busses & Cars, thick.

To add insult whoever was doing the work had a 'Roadworks end' sign on a cone in the cycle lane on the far side of the canal which wasn't visible until almost on it. Just what you need to wake up on a cold wet icy morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Plomber wrote: »
    ...had the pleasure of negotiating this this morning. All it effectively does is reduce filtering space for bikes and motorbikes between lane one and two forcing both out into the path of oncoming traffic. It has all the hallmarks of a desktop exercise that started with the premise that the bus lane is used bus those authorised to use it only. This section of road ( between Harolds X park & the Canal) is one where cyclists are often the majority in rush hour but is designed for Busses & Cars, thick.

To add insult whoever was doing the work had a 'Roadworks end' sign on a cone in the cycle lane on the far side of the canal which wasn't visible until almost on it. Just what you need to wake up on a cold wet icy morning.

I drove by that yesterday, i bottled cycling in today because the road on the estate was a bit dodgy.

It does look like all it's going to do is jam cyclists alongside whatever other vehicle is using that stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I came in via rathmines today so didnt see this - is it the full length of the bus lane from the park to the bridge?

I think it goes from the bus shelter to the start of the yellow box where traffic is suppose to filter into the lane on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

What time did you go past as i moved it off cycle path for that exact reason?

I think it goes from the bus shelter to the start of the yellow box where traffic is suppose to filter into the lane on the left.
    From my sample size of one, it seemed to be doing the job this morning.

474675.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

“We crashed into a cyclist and we could feel the bus going over the bike,” Ms McGivney told The Irish Times. “We thought there was someone under the bus so everyone started screaming.”
    +
    The cyclist hit by the bus was taken to hospital as a precaution but suffered only minor injuries.

Whoever you are RIP to your wheeled steed and I hope you're not too traumatised to get back on the road again in future. About as near death as one gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Is it going to affect traffic much? How much space is there at the top?
    If there's too many right turning cars will it leave much of a tailback of cars that can't move left?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ED E wrote: »
    +

Whoever you are RIP to your wheeled steed and I hope you're not too traumatised to get back on the road again in future. About as near death as one gets.
    Glad everyone's on the path to recovery.

Is this another example of a canned response from Dublin Bus?
    A spokeswoman for Dublin Bus said all drivers were trained in “comprehensive procedures” for dealing with these types of emergency situations.

All vehicles are equipped with a radio which connects with the Dublin Bus central control centre who in turn contact the emergency services, she said.

Trained to make a call on the radio while they're unconscious?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Glad everyone's on the path to recovery.

Is this another example of a canned response from Dublin Bus?

Trained to make a call on the radio while they're unconscious?

The nurse that stopped the bus and saved the man's life is a hero and I hope she gets recongnised for that.

Effects wrote: »
    Is it going to affect traffic much? How much space is there at the top?
    If there's too many right turning cars will it leave much of a tailback of cars that can't move left?

Space for cyclists? Strictly speaking from this morning, it made it easier to approach the junction at the lights and there was a nice orderly queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Space for cyclists? Strictly speaking from this morning, it made it easier to approach the junction at the lights and there was a nice orderly queue.

They’ve also changed the light sequence to give the green right arrow towards canal before the outbound traffic get a green. Hopefully it helps.

The bollards should make it easier for cars to merge at the correct point. As it stood, it was very difficult to stay in the correct lane when driving and merge at the merge point, due to the influx of cars milling down the bus lane. Lots of hesitation of “is he letting me go or not” caused delays here and is what makes people follow the leader into the bus lane early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Cycled into another cyclist this morning. Was coming up kevin street from the DIT and crossing Wexford Street.

I had a green light but the cars were not crossing the junction as they would have blocked the yellow box to do so. Van on the right so I couldn't see if any pedestrians were crossing on red. Slowed right down, two pedestrians crossing saw me and stopped, a cyclist also coming across the pedestrian crossing (not on the road) who I'm certain saw me, but kept coming across the junction and my front wheel hit his.

So so stupid and unavoidable, no damage done, I was going slow enough that i could just step down to stop as I had hit the brakes hard enough when I realised he wasn't stopping. You'd wonder why anyone would cross without looking, it could just as easily have been a car travelling at a much faster pace in that inside lane.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Cycled into another cyclist this morning. Was coming up kevin street from the DIT and crossing Wexford Street.

I had a green light but the cars were not crossing the junction as they would have blocked the yellow box to do so. Van on the right so I couldn't see if any pedestrians were crossing on red. Slowed right down, two pedestrians crossing saw me and stopped, a cyclist also coming across the pedestrian crossing (not on the road) who I'm certain saw me, but kept coming across the junction and my front wheel hit his.

So so stupid and unavoidable, no damage done, I was going slow enough that i could just step down to stop as I had hit the brakes hard enough when I realised he wasn't stopping. You'd wonder why anyone would cross without looking, it could just as easily have been a car travelling at a much faster pace in that inside lane.

That's very common around there. Saw two cyclists squaring up to each other there a few months ago, one went through a red light and hit another cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

474675.png

Is that where the wands start ? or is it a bit sooner? looks very promising.

Budawanny wrote: »
    Is that where the wands start ? or is it a bit sooner? looks very promising.

It's where it starts. There's a side road there to the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

It's where it starts. There's a side road there to the left.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

For anyone cycling off the malahide road or around portmarnock. Driving home yesterday evening through balgriffin on way to portmarnock sitting 2 cars back behind a white Merc just past the cemetery off the malahide road the mercs right up behind a lad on a bike going mad beeping at him even though there was no traffic coming other way to overtake. She eventually overtakes and we continue on till we get up to Drumnigh woods and another cyclist. Same **** again right up behind him going mad on the horn forcing him into the curb in fright. The guy was rightfully shaking in shock and anger. Was a bit shocked myself. Need to check my dashcam and see if I got the reg and report her.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Had a few bad ones today. In Portmarnock just coming down Carrickhill road which is a quiet residential road really, no on coming traffic and this guy comes right up close behind me and leans on the horn. Then proceeds to pass me very slowly and close while leaning on the horn. Keeping in mind this is a wide road with no oncoming traffic. I lost the rag a bit and started f'ing and blinding at him, he pulled in front and swerved in and braked. But I continued passed. He then overtook properly and was gone.

The other was on the coast road between Portmarnock and Baldoyle (my favourite :P) A taxi driver with no care in the world proceeds to overtake me close with oncoming traffic. It wasn't the closest of passes, but there was oncoming traffic which he forced to a complete stop on the other side. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

1st one wasn't a white Merc? That baldoyle road can be hit and miss. Thankfully I've never had any issues cycling it but have had idiots in cars over taking into my side when driving. It's a road where you have to hold your own either on a bike or in a car
    Had a few bad ones today. In Portmarnock just coming down Carrickhill road which is a quiet residential road really, no on coming traffic and this guy comes right up close behind me and leans on the horn. Then proceeds to pass me very slowly and close while leaning on the horn. Keeping in mind this is a wide road with no oncoming traffic. I lost the rag a bit and started f'ing and blinding at him, he pulled in front and swerved in and braked. But I continued passed. He then overtook properly and was gone.

The other was on the coast road between Portmarnock and Baldoyle (my favourite :P) A taxi driver with no care in the world proceeds to overtake me close with oncoming traffic. It wasn't the closest of passes, but there was oncoming traffic which he forced to a complete stop on the other side. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

neris wrote: »
    1st one wasn't a white Merc? That baldoyle road can be hit and miss. Thankfully I've never had any issues cycling it but have had idiots in cars over taking into my side when driving. It's a road where you have to hold your own either on a bike or in a car

Unfortunately not! Should have said in the original post. An old beat up Renault Scenic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement