Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

great that one of the first people in with both feet was an archbishop:

https://twitter.com/archbishophynes/status/1103979396153688065

(or so he claims; he seems to be in a splinter group from the catholic church)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

great that one of the first people in with both feet was an archbishop:

https://twitter.com/archbishophynes/status/1103979396153688065

(or so he claims; he seems to be in a splinter group from the catholic church)

I think, he was ordained by the same man, that ordained Sinead O'Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Plenty of motorists don't pay motor tax either...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Plenty of motorists don't pay motor tax either...

Some tsxi-drivers can't even drive....allegedly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ah road tax. I’ve always pondered how to tax my bike. It weighs about 1% that of my car which costs €200 annually so €2 sounds reasonable. Oh and a 70% rebate on the “road tax” I pay for my car to sit on the drive Monday to Friday, contributing zero to pollution and congestion and making more room for motorists to enjoy the traffic jams they’ve helped to create.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Some tsxi-drivers can't even drive....allegedly

Some taxi drivers aren't even meant to be in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ah road tax. I’ve always pondered how to tax my bike. It weighs about 1% that of my car which costs €200 annually so €2 sounds reasonable. Oh and a 70% rebate on the “road tax” I pay for my car to sit on the drive Monday to Friday, contributing zero to pollution and congestion and making more room for motorists to enjoy the traffic jams they’ve helped to create.

This would be a more accurate calculation
    https://twitter.com/ormondroyd/status/1101255157285863426?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Was almost hit by a van on Leeson st. this morning. He started pulling into traffic from the footpath without looking or indication. Just ahead, two other vehicles blocking the lane. Armadillos not really working!

Overtaken here yesterday morning, made it back to my neighbourhood as it was just starting to snow heavy. Well lit up with rear and front strobes. Car from behind skimmed past me, over a solid while line around a blind corner and into oncoming traffic. Hey, let's hope it was something important.

https://goo.gl/maps/fKx2jpFV4N32

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Overtaken here yesterday morning, made it back to my neighbourhood as it was just starting to snow heavy. Well lit up with rear and front strobes. Car from behind skimmed past me, over a solid while line around a blind corner and into oncoming traffic. Hey, let's hope it was something important.

https://goo.gl/maps/fKx2jpFV4N32

Madness. I often feel that a solid white line+blind bend can result in these close passes as their logic is "I better keep as far left as possible in case something comes around the corner"... It's also highly probable that the driver was a fool and put no thought into it whatsoever...

• Advertisement

Madness. I often feel that a solid white line+blind bend can result in these close passes as their logic is "I better keep as far left as possible in case something comes around the corner"... It's also highly probable that the driver was a fool and put no thought into it whatsoever...

Yeah he leaned on the horn as he passed me, so fair play to him for the heads up

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah he leaned on the horn as he passed me, so fair play to him for the heads up

Say no more so...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hit this morning, by a car that pulled in to cut off a bus as it wanted to turn left in 50m. Hit me on the side, then slowed, wound down the window and gave out stink for being in the bus lane. If I had been in the cycle lane, there was less of a chance he would have seen me. Didn't get the plate number unfortunately, well I thought I got it but motor check gives a slightly different model than what hit me (A saloon rather than a SUV).

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

CramCycle wrote: »
    Hit this morning, by a car that pulled in to cut off a bus as it wanted to turn left in 50m. Hit me on the side, then slowed, wound down the window and gave out stink for being in the bus lane. If I had been in the cycle lane, there was less of a chance he would have seen me. Didn't get the plate number unfortunately, well I thought I got it but motor check gives a slightly different model than what hit me (A saloon rather than a SUV).

He hit you...gave you a bollicking and then drove off?? WTF is wrong with some people. You & bike ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Hope you are okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

hope you're ok.

post some time & location details and see if anyone might have camera or cctv footage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Could you try a GDPR request to the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Hope you're okay CC. Probably an idea to report it to trafficwatch. If you have a partial plate they may be able to cross ref. that with the type of SUV / colour / etc. Ditto on the GDPR req. if it was DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Could you try a GDPR request to the bus?

DB will blur the reg if visible.
    report to the gardai ASAP including bus detauls and they can get the full infro from the bus cams, if anything shows up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Yep, don't let it go - the only way these damn motorists will ever learn is if someone follows it up all the time.

Speedy recovery, psychologically as much as anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

A little after Queen St., having crossed Liam Mellowe's bridge on to bridge St, a white 131 small VW with 222 as part of its reg plate passed with no an inch to spare. When I shouted at him, he swerved his van at me. This was the one day I was without my camera (it had fallen off this morning, the fixings damaged after I forgot to secure it properly, having taken it off to check something). I will watch for that van. He will learn not to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Did everything else about the vehicle match up? My old car used to be listed as an estate on the vehicle registration database, despite being a hatchback (there was no estate version).

Hope you're ok.

Breezer wrote: »
    Did everything else about the vehicle match up? My old car used to be listed as an estate on the vehicle registration database, despite being a hatchback (there was no estate version).

Hope you're ok.

Colour did but thats it, I thought it was taller like comparing a RAV4 to an Avensis. Could be a mistake but I think I just misread it.

I am OK, didn't come off, actually didn't even lose my position. I was tempted to follow him but then I just couldn't be arsed. He was so angry it was just one of those situations where it would have come to blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Colour did but thats it, I thought it was taller like comparing a RAV4 to an Avensis. Could be a mistake but I think I just misread it.

I am OK, didn't come off, actually didn't even lose my position. I was tempted to follow him but then I just couldn't be arsed. He was so angry it was just one of those situations where it would have come to blows.

Sorry to hear that happened. This sh*t is exactly the reason I won't get on a bike in Dublin without the GoPro recording.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

This rally driver overtook me, overtaking a parked car yesterday on the wrong side of the road on the way out of town past the lights at Kimmage. They were going at speed.

To put it in context, there was three cars parked along the left and i was nearly clear of the final one. I'd good road position, checked over my shoulder before i started the overtake, indicated and all that. They came flying through the lights and came close to me and the lorry on the other side of the road.

Some people are just morons.

475293.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

So what we have is a road-rage hit-and-run? Sounds well worth following up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Not visible from my camera, but this morning I was passed in traffic by a lady driving down Rathgar Road. It wasn't close as I was in the bus lane and she was in the driving lane, but she had her phone mounted in a windscreen phone holder, directly in front of her above the steering wheel, in landscape, watching a tv show/netflix/video.

I used to wonder why anyone would waste so much time sitting in traffic every day, but I never even considered that you could use that time to catch up on your binges.

I used to wonder why anyone would waste so much time sitting in traffic every day, but I never even considered that you could use that time to catch up on your binges.

Nothing new there, the N11 has it most mornings, gets worse the closer to town you are. One day driving up from Wexford I seen a guy overtake me watching what i presume was the Soccer, jammed into his steering wheel.

He kept this up while going through the Glen of the Downs section of the N11. nothing surprises me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Nothing new there, the N11 has it most mornings, gets worse the closer to town you are. One day driving up from Wexford I seen a guy overtake me watching what i presume was the Soccer, jammed into his steering wheel.

He kept this up while going through the Glen of the Downs section of the N11. nothing surprises me anymore.

Recently moved my front camera to a strap mount on my backpack strap, similar to chest mount position. It better follows my movement and it doesn't look ridiculous like some helmet cams, less obvious too.

Was today seriously considering mounting it sideways on my shoulder to highlight how prevalent phone use is, but I'm just not sure anybody cares :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Recently moved my front camera to a strap mount on my backpack strap, similar to chest mount position. It better follows my movement and it doesn't look ridiculous like some helmet cams, less obvious too.

Was today seriously considering mounting it sideways on my shoulder to highlight how prevalent phone use is, but I'm just not sure anybody cares :(

Looking silly might be negative, but somehow having a noticeable camera seems to improve the behaviour of some. Not wise to menace someone on camera.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement