Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

P_1 wrote: »
    Jaysis :eek:

Actually wondering if anyone might be up for a group order of jerseys with a somewhat inflammatory statement like "4 seconds aren't gonna kill you ye prick" on the back of them?

The nicey-nicey approach of suggesting they leave 1.5m doesn't seem to have worked, might be the only one. Or, "be safe, look out for others"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no doubt that driver would protest 'but it was because there was loose gravel on the road that i skidded'.
    clearly not driving to the conditions at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

no doubt that driver would protest 'but it was because there was loose gravel on the road that i skidded'.
    clearly not driving to the conditions at hand.

I actually doubt he would care, going by his next move after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

P_1 wrote: »
    Jaysis :eek:

Actually wondering if anyone might be up for a group order of jerseys with a somewhat inflammatory statement like "4 seconds aren't gonna kill you ye prick" on the back of them?

I daydream about what slogans I'm gonna get for my back pack cover as I cycle along. It ranges from

My life is more important than your time, slow down & pass only when safe!

Human on board!, Sister, Aunty, Godmother, Friend, Work colleague - Please Pass safely!

How will you tell my children you killed me to save yourself 10 seconds - STOP! pass only when safe (except I don't have kids so this one is for someone else!).

My road position is for my safety, not your inconvenience

Filming your driving my ride

I possibly think too much about this stuff.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,494 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I daydream about what slogans I'm gonna get for my back pack cover as I cycle along. It ranges from
    I spent a while looking for a hi-vis or similar jacket with a clear perspex pocket on the back that would allow me to stick in an A3 sheet with a 'message of the day' and change it regularly - but I couldn't find anything.

Let me know if you find anything like this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i do like the homemade sign on the road near ballyboughal - i think weepsie mentioned it before - 'drive like *your* kids lived here'.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

i do like the homemade sign on the road near ballyboughal - i think weepsie mentioned it before - 'drive like *your* kids lived here'.

That sign looks a little small, & worse for wear at this stage. I'm on that road often, not many pay much heed to it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

rushfan wrote: »
    That sign looks a little small, & worse for wear at this stage. I'm on that road often, not many pay much heed to it unfortunately.

Some signs on the N7 roadworks at the moment. Pictures of Daddy/Daughter, with the slogan 'Slow down, my daddy works here' or words to that effect.

Driving through recently however, they didn't seem to make any difference..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Some signs on the N7 roadworks at the moment. Pictures of Daddy/Daughter, with the slogan 'Slow down, my daddy works here' or words to that effect.

Observed 100% of motorists ignoring this recently. That is, every single car bar none passed me while I was in the the inside lane - all doing well in advance of the 60km/hr limit. Been tailgated a good few times in the left lane at 60km/hr as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah man...I remember during the snow when councils were out trying to clear roads and keep us safe a load of them were putting out calls specifically asking people to slow down and they were putting staff in danger.
    All the while the RSA continue to tweet things like this...

https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1022064157854711810

• Advertisement

Perfect timing. Was out at the in laws today and got stuck behind a jogger (narrow country lane) - gave her a good 20s to realise we were there. No joy, so i gave the briefest tap of the horn I could manage. Still no joy. Longer parp, still no joy. Waited another 20s for a place to pass, and she jumped as we passed her. She had no clue we were there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ah man...I remember during the snow when councils were out trying to clear roads and keep us safe a load of them were putting out calls specifically asking people to slow down and they were putting staff in danger.
    All the while the RSA continue to tweet things like this...

https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1022064157854711810

By that logic motorists should never have music/radio on :)
    Of course there's logic to that, so often i see motorists obviously with music so loud they don't hear sirens in time

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Perfect timing. Was out at the in laws today and got stuck behind a jogger (narrow country lane) - gave her a good 20s to realise we were there. No joy, so i gave the briefest tap of the horn I could manage. Still no joy. Longer parp, still no joy. Waited another 20s for a place to pass, and she jumped as we passed her. She had no clue we were there.

I run much more then I cycle and I do try my best to let other walkers/runners know i'm approaching, but still I scare the feck out of people now and then. its hard not to laugh to myself especially if they have very loud music playing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cabaal wrote: »
    I run much more then I cycle and I do try my best to let other walkers/runners know i'm approaching, but still I scare the feck out of people now and then. its hard not to laugh to myself especially if they have very loud music playing.

I land on my toes when I run so no one can ever hear me approach until I'm literally right behind them. I've had people react ready to defend themselves a couple of times when they think they're being jumped on dark winter evenings. :pac:

Whatever about wearing earphones, aren't you supposed to run on the opposite side of the road (i.e. into oncoming traffic)? Certainly that's what I do (except on bad bends with no visibility). All too often see people walking or running in the same direction as traffic.

I spent a while looking for a hi-vis or similar jacket with a clear perspex pocket on the back that would allow me to stick in an A3 sheet with a 'message of the day' and change it regularly - but I couldn't find anything.

Let me know if you find anything like this.

Oh you could be onto something there!! Easy enough to stick (glue/sow/velcro) a clear perspex pocket onto the back of a jacket!!! Will have a scout through the office supplies tomorrow to see what's there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Driving today on a bendy regional road - in decent nick.
    Came up around a corner to be met by an idiot driver over on my side of the road as he overtook a cyclist - ridiculous stuff.
    I slowed down and he was able to get back into his side without harming the cyclist.

Seen this happen so many times - drivers going way too fast and decide to keep the boot in and overtake a cyclist whether on a straight or bend.

Girlfriend not too impressed and reminded me that's why she doesn't like me cycling on our roads - not much I can say to it really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Coming back on the bog road back into Dunshaughlin on Saturday met a jeep on our side of the road with the driver on the phone, luckily for us we had singled out for that bend otherwise it would have been curtains for the outside rider. More and more common on the roads these days, jeep was a 161 reg Landcruiser so I presume had some sort of Bluetooth built in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

marvin80 wrote: »
    Driving today on a bendy regional road - in decent nick.
    Came up around a corner to be met by an idiot driver over on my side of the road as he overtook a cyclist - ridiculous stuff.
    I slowed down and he was able to get back into his side without harming the cyclist.

Seen this happen so many times - drivers going way too fast and decide to keep the boot in and overtake a cyclist whether on a straight or bend.

Girlfriend not too impressed and reminded me that's why she doesn't like me cycling on our roads - not much I can say to it really.

Happened to me the other day car went to overtake me going into a bend , then saw oncoming car coming around the bend so pulled in on top of me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3FUqasX-E5U

This one gave me quite the fright, I heard him coming but assumed he'd give wide berth as they *usually* do, the bike actually wobbled from the force of the pass. Have filled in the online form for what it's worth...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

This one gave me quite the fright, I heard him coming but assumed he'd give wide berth as they *usually* do, the bike actually wobbled from the force of the pass. Have filled in the online form for what it's worth...:rolleyes:

He actually gives the 2 Dublin-bikers behind you loads of room then moves in for seemingly no reason as there was no other traffic. The mind boggles.:confused:

You can actually hear your little yelp as he passes - glad you're ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Close one on terenure road on the way home, wasn’t in the humour at all this evening. Got passed close at speed, so I yelled, some lad driving his mid life crisis jag slows down and waits for me to catch up.

Instantly lays into “you should be on the ****ing cycle track” gesturing towards the estate. I initially stayed calm and told him there was none, I’d be delighted if he pulled in and showed me. Then another cyclist behind caught up and started laying into the driver too “he’s every right to be on the road, etc”.

We got up to bushy park and he pointed at the path through the park, screamed “there’s the ****ing cycle track” and I’d had enough, told him to go **** himself and he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. At this stage there was a back and forth between him and other cyclist and I backed off. Driver was raging, hardly looking at the road and for some reason, now he was *completely* in the oncoming lane.

He then put the foot down, overtook some poor person on a driving lesson, and broke the light to turn right after the college. I presume he realised he was outnumbered and didn’t wanna end up at a red light.

Turns out other cyclist was an advanced driving instructor, legend for chiming in and was much better and shouting confidently than I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

He then put the foot down.
    Asserting their authority and (horse) power over pathetic cyclists. Get a good laugh whenever it happens. Pathetic behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I always think the ideal comeback to being told where you should be would be, "Well, you should be on the [nearest motorway]." "[Nearest motorway] doesn't go where I want to go!" "..."

Great arguments pass me by in the heat of the moment though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I always think the ideal comeback to being told where you should be would be, "Well, you should be on the [nearest motorway]." "[Nearest motorway] doesn't go where I want to go!" "..."

Great arguments pass me by in the heat of the moment though.

Ah they never go well no matter how good your argument. Best not to engage imo... as hard as that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

on Friday as I approached pedestrian lights outside Raheny Dart station the car just in front of me suddenly swerved in to drop off the passenger without indicating or checking his mirrors.
    I went around the outside, tapped on the drivers wing mirror and gestured for wtf and continued cycling slowly. the front seat passenger immediately waved in acknowledgement / apology - I'm assuming he'd told the driver to pull in without much warning. no reaction from the driver at all and as he passed me by up the road he just stared at me like I was stone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Not on the bike but had a very close pass while sitting in the car outside Centra on Swords Main Street today. Window down, elbow out and a Dublin Bus passes so close it scrapes along the edge of my car's side mirror. Startled me to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Not on the bike but had a very close pass while sitting in the car outside Centra on Swords Main Street today. Window down, elbow out and a Dublin Bus passes so close it scrapes along the edge of my car's side mirror. Startled me to say the least.

It's a nightmare there with the road works at the moment. Nearly cycled in to the back of a car there on my way to work today. Chap just slammed on the brakes for no apparent reason when approaching the newly positioned lights which were green. He then foot the foot down and went through them when they had turned red. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Chiparus wrote: »
    Happened to me the other day car went to overtake me going into a bend , then saw oncoming car coming around the bend so pulled in on top of me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3FUqasX-E5U

On an unbroken centre-line too no less, presumably placed there to convey the captain obvious to any drivers that might be contemplating an overtake that perhaps doing so on a bend is a sh1t idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Lemming wrote: »
    On an unbroken centre-line too no less, presumably placed there to convey the captain obvious to any drivers that might be contemplating an overtake that perhaps doing so on a bend is a sh1t idea.

Cyclist hit there two years ago, car never stopped, luckily the female cyclist not too badly hurt.

Had another near miss there last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbqBHyYeY2M&frags=pl%2Cwn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement