Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

I've had this exact conversation with a driver not too long ago, was it a woman driving a black saloon type car by any chance??!.

No it was a blue compact hatchback (fiesta type). Though they may have tried the same thing against something bigger than me (like a truck) and had their car written off and now have a little blue replacement.

I have a theory on their survival, that there is generally only one complete and utter moron on any one section of road at any one time. So if you are that moron you are unlikely to meet another one so you should be safe enough as everybody else will shoulder your obligations and keep you safe.

I am still gob smacked by the tone taken by the driver, they were completely convinced that they were being both reasonable and correct.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I always want to get the time to get this response across but I'd never be given the time:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭TheChizler

com1 wrote: »
    I am still gob smacked by the tone taken by the driver, they were completely convinced that they were being both reasonable and correct.
    I'm sure they knew exactly what they had done and deep down that they were at fault. What we're seeing is stubbornness and blind refusal to accept blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

TheChizler wrote:
    I'm sure they knew exactly what they had done and deep down that they were at fault. What we're seeing is stubbornness and blind refusal to accept blame.

This. Unfortunately it's everywhere. Nothing is anybody's fault anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

So I'm driving a double decker down the quays towards Merchants Quay, traffic in the next lane was moving slower, so I decided just to tail these two cyclists as I have to let someone off at the next stop. We are plodding along at about 20 kph.
    A young cyclist starts passing me out - swinging his arms like he is sprinting - I think - "What a twit" but hey, who am I to judge. As he passes me and gets back in the lane, he clips the wheel of one of the other cyclists and sends him sprawling, I make an emergency stop and stop 3 feet or so short of this poor guy.
    And pillar of the community that he is, the young guy legs it. The chap who fell hit his head on the way down and had a cracking lump under his eye, possibly concussed and a fine amount of bleeding (He had no helmet, but that is another story).
    The point of all this being - I'm sure glad I am a cyclist too, and had a passenger for the next stop, so decided to hang back, or this could have been a whole other situation altogether.
    As for this other ignoramus, has he no conscience????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

always remind yourself - approximately half the drivers you see are below average intelligence.

Been saying it for years. Passing an IQ test should be a prerequisite to sitting your driving test. There are people literally too stupid to spell their own names driving around in cars.

wheelo01 wrote: »
    As for this other ignoramus, has he no conscience????

Do you have a camera by any chance, that is a clear hit and run, hopefully, if you do, the gardai will pursue it. I always stop, not that i am in many accidents but I have had one or two where I came out the better and was probably at fault. Don't get me wrong, I would be quite worried about the bills that may spring up but the shred of humanity I have seems to override that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Been saying it for years. Passing an IQ test should be a prerequisite to sitting your driving test. There are people literally too stupid to spell their own names driving around in cars.

I'd do well enough in an IQ test. I've a few qualifications too and work in third level education.

I'm a terrible driver. I'm only learning, but im far too nervous. I thought cycling would make me better and more observant, but having to rely on mirrors and the different spatial awareness needed along with the actual power of a car make for a disaster in my hands

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

CramCycle wrote: »
    Do you have a camera by any chance, that is a clear hit and run, hopefully, if you do, the gardai will pursue it. I always stop, not that i am in many accidents but I have had one or two where I came out the better and was probably at fault. Don't get me wrong, I would be quite worried about the bills that may spring up but the shred of humanity I have seems to override that.

Passed on details to the Gardai, not sure theyll get enough to identify him, however the Merchants Quay Project said their CCTV might have been pointing the right way.
    I do hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

always remind yourself - approximately half the drivers you see are below average intelligence.
    Most days, I'm fairly sure it is more than half.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    rushfan wrote: »
    This. Unfortunately it's everywhere. Nothing is anybody's fault anymore.

The refusal/denial does not mean your engagement with the driver was pointless. While the driver may not admit anything to you, there is a fair chance that the next time they are in the same situation, they might just have a second thought, remembering that crazy cyclists that got annoyed with them last time round.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

com1 wrote: »
    10 years of cycling then 2 in the space of a month in more or less the same place but at least this one was at a slow speed. Cycling up the slip road at junction 4 N4 westbound, in the cycle lane. Just going past the left turn filter lane to stop at the lights when a car came up outside me. Just as it got level the indicator came on and they decided to turn left, on top of me. The left turn filter was already full of cars so this driver had to stop, straddling the cycle lane (and nearly straddling me too - had I not spotted what they were at and swerved).

So anyway I counted to 10 and went up to the drivers window and asked politely and calmly (unusual for me but I was in shock and assumed something strange must have happened to the driver that they decided to (try to) drive into me, like me turning invisible or something. Anyway a bizarre conversation ensued

Me - "Hi, did you not see me there?"
    Driver - "Yes I did"
    Me - "huh? You saw me but decided to try to drive over me?"
    Driver - "You didn't indicate so I didn't know which way you were going"
    Me - "What??? I didn't indicate because I was travelling straight along the road and not turning off"
    Driver - "But you didn't indicate that so I didn't know where you were going"
    Me - "So you decided to drive on top of me then"
    Driver - "But you didn't indicate so I..."
    Me - "Let me get this straight, you didn't see me indicate so you decided to just drive into me?"
    Driver - "But I didn't know where you were going"
    Me - "Right. If you were driving straight through the lights ahead rather than turning here would you have indicated in some way?
    Driver - "No..."
    Me - "So why would you expect me to do something different?
    Driver - "But you didn't indicate so I didn't know which way you were going..."
    Me - "Jesús, you really need to cop yourself on"

I probably should have taken their reg number and reported them, but, to be honest I was (and still am) in complete shock at the attitude.

For context https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3507458,-6.4490549,3a,75y,268.22h,84.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6CbUQ9YibmGgKGLamDmsrw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And I had just cycled over the manhole cover when they decided to turn into me (lights were red so I wasn't going too quickly)

Ummmm but it was so important that they get to the back of that line of cars as quickly as possible, so if driving through you makes it faster, so be it.

A car actually did that while I was driving today, the car in front of me was taking a left turn, we were on a two lane road which is one way. Lights were red 30m ahead so the car behind me (BMW driver) bullied his way into right lane and straight back into my lane. He got to the line of traffic less than 2 seconds before me (yes I counted). We were turning left at a T and he still had his right indicator on from the overtake of me and the car in front of me that was turning.
    After we turned left and for about 400m after that, his right indicator was still on. Though it has just occurred to me...BMW driver and indicators, can't expect him to have realised it was on, must've been wondering what the funny noise and the flashing icon on his dashboard were.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

closest pass in ages today - had passed through the tolls on the east link, heading southbound, approaching the roundabout. was at about the point where i'd usualy check and signal to pull out, but could hear a HGV behind me so decided to let him pass first. he did so, with probably 40cm or 50cm to spare. was a dump truck, and the really annoying thing about it was it happened just where the road started to widen; he started the pass OK, but then pulled into the left lane too fast.

interesting to note that i think that's the first time i've had an issue with a truck on or around the east link - the two or three other times i've seen people being proper idiots were driving cars or vans (and i've seen cyclists being idiots on the east link too).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

I caught a close pass ahead of me on camera, just after I left the house. It doesn't look as bad, both because it's from a bit back and the angles and distance are hard to see, and also because I think the cyclist anticipated it and was already slowing in readiness to brake.

I'm very tempted to stick a video into the local residents' Facebook group, but there's no way to control which way the mob will turn.

buffalo wrote: »
    It doesn't look as bad,
    It looks pretty bad.

I might have mentioned to him to keep out a bit more he looks to be riding very close to the edge the whole way down there and then had a drain to contend with on the bend that car almost squeezed him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

I might have mentioned to him to keep out a bit more he looks to be riding very close to the edge the whole way down there and then had a drain to contend with on the bend that car almost squeezed him on.

I noticed that myself. When I tried to sympathise as I passed him, he had earphones in, sunglasses on and no reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

buffalo wrote: »
    I noticed that myself. When I tried to sympathise as I passed him, he had earphones in, sunglasses on and no reaction.

I've gotten that a few times when I've witnessed a close call and said something to the cyclist as I passed shortly afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Here's one of mine from yesterday in south Dublin.

I was coming up to a junction with the N11.
    I was coming off an off-road bike lane that merged with the road, so I was looking over my shoulder and had my right arm out to make clear I wasn't going left onto the N11.
    A car overtook me and swung across without indicating, forcing me to brake to avoid being hit.

I've not uploaded anything before, despite having had cameras for a few years, but this one annoyed me. Not sure if it's worth taking further?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

darjeeling wrote: »

I was coming off an off-road bike lane that merged with the road, so I was looking over my shoulder and had my right arm out to make clear I wasn't going left onto the N11.
    A car overtook me and swung across without indicating, forcing me to brake to avoid being hit.

I've not uploaded anything before, despite having had cameras for a few years, but this one annoyed me. Not sure if it's worth taking further?

I would. That's deffo dangerous driving and looks like a bit of vengeance thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭tommythecat

He didn’t like you repassing him. Report.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement

Looked to be fairly close to clipping that car queueing on the right there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

Yeah, I'd be having a chat with the guards about that if I were you.
    I must get myself a camera!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Report. Without question. There's no defence he out she can offer to justify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

I cycle down the n11 from cherrywood each afternoon on the way home. I come from the right hand side at this junction and it's the place where I have the most close calls with motorists cutting across the front of me to turn left. Had a lorry with a roll on roll off skip a few months ago almost wedged in against the curb. He refused to speak to me when I confronted him. An utterly frightening experience.

I had just bought a cycle camera which was delivered to me at work and which was in my rucksack.

one handy feature of youtube is that you can slow down videos to half or a quarter speed. from the above; about 22s or just a bit later in (before the counter hits 23s), that car is sitting at a consistent distance behind you till probably 27s in - so they had four seconds to register you - and then gunned it. there's no-one behind you. there's no reason on earth they would have lost more than (literally) a quarter of a second waiting to cross the lane behind you. it's a masterclass in taking a gap for no benefit, with no element of ambiguity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Tipping along here past Greenogue Business Park towards Rathcoole / Saggart.

There's a tractor with trailer full of bales in front of me and a VW Polo. Easily keeping pace with both. White Mercedes Van arrives behind me at the point linked above. There's maybe about 50m of a gap to the Polo but I'm closing it. Van starts slowing up and accelerating up to my wheel repeatedly and then proceeds to try overtake me whilst I'm entering the roundabout. I had gone defensive on approach so he had no choice but to abort but I turned around and gave him the hand wave of WTF anyway.

On exiting the roundabout, I'm now about 5m behind the Polo, he pulls up beside me and I can see he's about to let fly with the usual cyclist nonsense but I cut him off and shout in his window "Congratulations, you caught up with the rest of the traffic". He immediately backed off, didn't say a word to me either, so I took the lane (I'm keeping pace with the Tractor and Polo up the hill) and he didn't bother me again, he dropped down the slip lane onto the N7.

Not gonna lie, I'm quiet proud of how I handled this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Coast Road, just south of Newcastle, Co. Wicklow, on Tuesday - a relatively quiet road I never have problems on.

I could hear the speed of the car approaching fast behind me. Unfortunately, I could also hear the oncoming car from around the blind bend (I couldn't see what was coming despite obviously having a better view than the car behind me). Seriously tensed up when I heard the skid from behind. My life was literally in this man's hands momentarily:

So after that you'd think he may hold back, having got a bit of a jump. But no, having forced the first oncoming car to brake sharply he then did the same tp the next one. A thundering b*11*cks:

**** me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Love to know what their rush was.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Jaysis :eek:

Actually wondering if anyone might be up for a group order of jerseys with a somewhat inflammatory statement like "4 seconds aren't gonna kill you ye prick" on the back of them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement