Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I think when you are seen as blocking a lane by a motorist they are much more likely to punishment pass.
    The term "punishment pass" seems too flippant a description for behaviour which puts people's lives at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

The term "punishment pass" seems too flippant a description for behaviour which puts people's lives at risk.

true, it also implies that the cyclist has done something wrong that they are being punished for. road rage would be far more apt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had a bizarre one earlier where a 'wtf are you doing' look and hand gesture from me earlier led the motorist in question to basically challenge me to a bout of fisticuffs.
    he overtook me around a blind bend, which led to my exasperated throw of the hand, and within seconds was driving alongside me spewing profanity at me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

had a bizarre one earlier where a 'wtf are you doing' look and hand gesture from me earlier led the motorist in question to basically challenge me to a bout of fisticuffs.
    he overtook me around a blind bend, which led to my exasperated throw of the hand, and within seconds was driving alongside me spewing profanity at me.

I mean if you'd just go and pay that road tax he pays, he wouldn't mind so much. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it was a northern reg car, so he can't even claim to pay it for the road he was on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

it was a northern reg car, so he can't even claim to pay it for the road he was on!

I had a northern reg Astra skim past me on the airport roundabout a few weeks ago. Gave a bit of a "Ah come on pal" shout. He jammed on the brakes and started screaming a fairly impressive list of expletives at me.

this was an angry builder in a land cruiser who was shouting at me.

at one point he seemed to be pulling in in front of me, and i was worried that he was trying to box me in, so i braked. he braked too, so i shot up his inside, and next thing had him alongside again shouting 'SO YE WANNA STOP, D'YE? YE WANNA STOP?' - in a clear 'i believe you are interested in a bout of fisticuffs, and i would be rude to refuse such a kind offer' manner.

going by the size of him, one single punch from him would have made me forget my own name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Yesterday morning - in Portlaoise station ticket office. Pedal took a good chunk of skin off my leg and there's a bruise that looks like a map of the Six Counties!

i s**t you not.

There's a scrote who every morning comes haring through the car park on his bike - rides his bike into the ticket office and on to the platform.

He then dumps the bike wherever he gets on - by the door - and alights at Monasterevin, riding along the platform again.

Reported him to station, tweeted Irish Rail live and complained on IE webite but nothing.

at one point he seemed to be pulling in in front of me, and i was worried that he was trying to box me in, so i braked. he braked too, so i shot up his inside, and next thing had him alongside again shouting 'SO YE WANNA STOP, D'YE? YE WANNA STOP?' - in a clear 'i believe you are interested in a bout of fisticuffs, and i would be rude to refuse such a kind offer' manner.

going by the size of him, one single punch from him would have made me forget my own name.

I learned to drive in a Toyota SpaceCruiser - they're big lads. Scary driving by one of them later in small vehicles!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yesterday morning - in Portlaoise station ticket office. Pedal took a good chunk of skin off my leg and there's a bruise that looks like a map of the Six Counties!

i s**t you not.

There's a scrote who every morning comes haring through the car park on his bike - rides his bike into the ticket office and on to the platform.

He then dumps the bike wherever he gets on - by the door - and alights at Monasterevin, riding along the platform again.

Reported him to station, tweeted Irish Rail live and complained on IE webite but nothing.

Its funny, if I attempted to ride through a station I would get yanked from my bike. I got pulled off and given a bollicking for standing on a pedal and rolling through.

As a matter of interest, did the injury come from this guy hitting you? Story is a bit disjointed so can't tell if its the same story. Did he at least say sorry?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Its funny, if I attempted to ride through a station I would get yanked from my bike. I got pulled off and given a bollicking for standing on a pedal and rolling through.

As a matter of interest, did the injury come from this guy hitting you? Story is a bit disjointed so can't tell if its the same story. Did he at least say sorry?

Yes, I was standing talking to the guy who sells the papers and he came riding in and clipped me.

I said "excuse me kind sir, may I ask you to alight your steed ?" (paraphasing now obviously! :D) and he told me to f**k off!

I suspect he's related to the staff somehow.

Guys do that on the platform at Heuston all the time, I don't see a problem - you're controlled but moving quicker if you're in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

next thing had him alongside again shouting 'SO YE WANNA STOP, D'YE? YE WANNA STOP?' - in a clear 'i believe you are interested in a bout of fisticuffs, and i would be rude to refuse such a kind offer' manner.

Are you sure he wasn't flirting with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Did you get a good look at him, could it have been Ronnie Pickering in a new vehicle? Hope you got the reg and reported him, maybe once they have 5+ reports against his plate they'll actually do something about him.

buffalo wrote: »
    Are you sure he wasn't flirting with you?
    maybe he was, it was a thick accent so i may have misinterpreted his intention.

Did you get a good look at him, could it have been Ronnie Pickering in a new vehicle? Hope you got the reg and reported him, maybe once they have 5+ reports against his plate they'll actually do something about him.
    northern reg, not sure how that changes what the gardai could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

. I got pulled off

Good start to the day tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

who the f*ck's that? :pac::D

Felexicon wrote: »
    Good start to the day tbf

Thank you for going there - I had the reply "do it more often then son" but thought better!!

Stay safe on your travel lads and lasses!

Damn it, coming through Stillorgan this morning, overtaken on a turn by a left turning vehicle. lucky I was turning as well or I wouldn't be here. I let a road and the look of confusion on the drivers face was shocking.

I mean FFS, I waited behind the two turning vehicles, so they had to have waited behind me, and then accelerate stupidly to even attempt it. I am really just shocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

rides his bike into the ticket office and on to the platform

Does he buy a ticket? Serious question. Sounds like he doesn't, and that he's just cutting out 25k or so of his commute for free. You should video him next time for us and tweet it to Irish Rail

p15574 wrote: »
    Does he buy a ticket? Serious question. Sounds like he doesn't, and that he's just cutting out 25k or so of his commute for free. You should video him next time for us and tweet it to Irish Rail

I don't know for certain but to be honest I would very much doubt it.

I've send stills and video to Irish Rail - might try one more time. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Damn it, coming through Stillorgan this morning, overtaken on a turn by a left turning vehicle. lucky I was turning as well or I wouldn't be here. I let a road and the look of confusion on the drivers face was shocking.

I mean FFS, I waited behind the two turning vehicles, so they had to have waited behind me, and then accelerate stupidly to even attempt it. I am really just shocked.
    Something similar happened to me recently and I think it happened because I had signaled to turn left. The problem was, it was on to a minor road with very poor surface and I normally would avoid all the crap by cycling in the centre of it. So, luckily I wasn't going fast. It made me think, why am I bothering to signal left turns at all, when this is what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

plodder wrote: »
    Something similar happened to me recently and I think it happened because I had signaled to turn left. The problem was, it was on to a minor road with very poor surface and I normally would avoid all the crap by cycling in the centre of it. So, luckily I wasn't going fast. It made me think, why am I bothering to signal left turns at all, when this is what happens?

The only time i will now signal a left turn is... if there is a car waiting to move out from that left turn and nobody behind me.

So few cars bother to indicate, I wonder why I make an effort to on a bike :confused:

plodder wrote: »
    mloc123 wrote: »
    The only time i will now signal a left turn is... if there is a car waiting to move out from that left turn and nobody behind me.

So few cars bother to indicate, I wonder why I make an effort to on a bike :confused:

The lane I was in was a left or straight ahead. I was near center of the lane as there were two cars waiting already and its on a hill so no point going inside. There was another cyclist behind me, who was going straight on, but slammed on his brakes when he seen the driver turn across me. So the driver had to go round this cyclist (we were all going from stop), and turn across me but would have been sitting behind us at the lights. As far as she could have been able to tell, we were both going straight ahead (not that it matters, who the **** in their right mind overtakes on a junction).

Just frustrating, and then the look of confusion, as if to say, why did he shout.

Also highlighted my current viewing angle on my camera is not suitable as my hands on the brake actually masked the car the whole way round.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mloc123 wrote: »

I do try my best to indicate on the bike, like when pulling out to turn right, but there are situations where keeping your hands on the bars and near the brakes is the safest option.

had a funny one yesterday on the way into work - up newtownpark avenue, saw a white van up ahead reversing out onto a driveway and swing as he did so, so he ended up parking half on the grass verge, half in the cycle lane. i wasn't moving all that fast, so it was another 10 seconds before i got to him, but i pulled out into the middle of the road in plenty of time for him to have a clear view of me in his wing mirror.

needless to say, just as i was pulling alongside, he gunned the engine and drove off - no indicators - pulling out in front of me. the chap in the prius behind at least gave me a 'WTF was that for' sort of sympathetic look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Does this class as a near miss or just plain stupidity... Lol

https://www.facebook.com/rtenews/videos/2188685301160460/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

ewc78 wrote: »
    Does this class as a near miss or just plain stupidity... Lol

https://www.facebook.com/rtenews/videos/2188685301160460/

Its just bizarre. What did she think was going to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

benjamin d wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons women report more close passes and bullying behaviour on the roads; they tend to cycle closer to the verge/gutter and are consequently more likely to be passed dangerously. I've seen figures for it but CBA digging for them.

It's interesting that this behaviour, which at its core is rooted in conscientious road use, encourages bad behaviour in drivers. To be safe you have to be assertive and appear to the uninitiated as an a*sehole.

That's probably true in some cases, but I just think some people just find women easier to bully purely because they know it’s unlikely they’re going to get a dig in the face.

I cycle one of my in to school every day. There’s a small part of the commute where there’s no cycle path and we go on the (massively wide) footpath. Nobody has ever said a word to me. Ever.

My wife has done it four times and twice she’s had men roaring at her to get off the footpath.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement