Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tobdom

Its just bizarre. What did she think was going to happen

Probably setting up for a big claim...... will say that she shouldn't have been able to get through the barriers...... and she'll probably get a payout

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's probably true in some cases, but I just think some people just find women easier to bully purely because they know it’s unlikely they’re going to get a dig in the face.

I cycle one of my in to school every day. There’s a small part of the commute where there’s no cycle path and we go on the (massively wide) footpath. Nobody has ever said a word to me. Ever.

My wife has done it four times and twice she’s had men roaring at her to get off the footpath.

I said it's one of the reasons.

Was your wife with the kids too? I've told both adult men and women to get off the footpath several times when they've barrelled towards me, but I don't mind if they're chaperoning kids.

If your wife was alone I'd say it's fair enough, if she was with the kids and therefore tipping along slowly then that's not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Worst day in about ten years of cycling today.
    Nearly got taken out twice on the way to work. Nearly got taken out once on the way home.

Spotted two cyclists down on the way to work, Clonskeagh road and another kid down with the fire brigade pulling in near St Killians. There was a crowd attending them, so no point in stopping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,664 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That's probably true in some cases, but I just think some people just find women easier to bully purely because they know it’s unlikely they’re going to get a dig in the face.
    when i was eight years old, i was cycling through blanchardstown village - on the footpath, probably on my strika - and a garda stopped me, asked me what i was doing, and ordered me to use the road.

i vaguely remember my mum being so angry she was talking about ringing the garda station about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

when i was eight years old, i was cycling through blanchardstown village - on the footpath, probably on my strika - and a garda stopped me, asked me what i was doing, and ordered me to use the road.

Same thing happened me, sent to the shops by the mother, grabbed the sister's bike, tore down the road, mounting the footpath beside the shops. The Garda car was a Vauxhall Victor I think, showing my age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

benjamin d wrote: »
    I said it's one of the reasons.

Was your wife with the kids too? I've told both adult men and women to get off the footpath several times when they've barrelled towards me, but I don't mind if they're chaperoning kids.

If your wife was alone I'd say it's fair enough, if she was with the kids and therefore tipping along slowly then that's not good.

I may not have explained the situation properly Benjamin, when I said she "done it four times" I meant she's done the school run four times with our little boy on the bikes. That's her, and the six year old on the footpath traveling at about 6kph to 10kph max. She was with the kid each time. I actually know one of the men to see, I pass him every day and he hasn't a word to say to me when I cycle by with my son on the 10 metre wide empty footpath. He's not even on the path, he's some sort of car-park attendant for the local catholic church. He roared at her from the carpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I may not have explained the situation properly Benjamin, when I said she "done it four times" I meant she's done the school run four times with our little boy on the bikes. That's her, and the six year old on the footpath traveling at about 6kph to 10kph max. She was with the kid each time. I actually know one of the men to see, I pass him every day and he hasn't a word to say to me when I cycle by with my son on the 10 metre wide empty footpath. He's not even on the path, he's some sort of car-park attendant for the local catholic church. He roared at her from the carpark.

You should start doing wheelies up and the down the footpath outside he car park to catch his attention, see if he says anything (which he won't).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

rushfan wrote: »
    Same thing happened me, sent to the shops by the mother, grabbed the sister's bike, tore down the road, mounting the footpath beside the shops. The Garda car was a Vauxhall Victor I think, showing my age.

One of the first Garda patrol cars, that I drove, was a Vauxhall Victor.
    You're only a chap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

amcalester wrote: »
    You should start doing wheelies up and the down the footpath outside he car park to catch his attention, see if he says anything (which he won't).

I'd report him to his boss and point out it is an odd thing he thinks it is OK to shout at women shepherding kids but not men. Two wrongs do not make a right, or was Jesus just messing about that bit. If you wanted to go full throttle on the complaint, you could ask the Priest does the Catholic Church still believe it is OK to bully women.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Had a taxi driver behind me yesterday as i was bringing my daughter home from creche. We right turned off the main road with him behind us patiently waiting as we crossed the main road and he followed and he waited as we cycled around parked cars etc and I was going to give him a big wave and thanks but then he proceeded to do the most dangerous move I could have imagined. On the next corner with parked cars on my left and and oncoming car he decides he wants to overtake me (despite being so patient earlier and if he waited another 4 seconds the road was completely clear). So the oncoming car has to jam on the brakes, the taxi swerves in on top of me and nearly takes my front wheel out. it was a matter of inches. I yell a few expletives and just cannot figure out his mentality. So he is driving slowly so i follow him instead of heading to my house in case i can catch him to ask what was he thinking. I see him park up ahead and proceed but he clearly must see me in his mirrors as he heads off again when I'm about 50m away. He obviously knew he was in for a bollocking. I was so mad, confused, frightened for my daughter. He risked her life for literally 4 seconds of time. Incredible stuff. Professional driver indeed.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement

Taxi driver this morning came up the left side of right turning traffic and then went straight through a red to turn across them on the N11, every car and cyclist had to slam on.

I miss the days when Dublin Castle Taxi office used to take complaints seriously and you knew if you complained there would be a punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i vaguely remember my mum being so angry she was talking about ringing the garda station about it.
    My mother was the opposite - she'd get annoyed if she spotted me cycling on the footpath and inform me that it was for pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

'Lucky to escape with her life' - woman hospitalised after being struck by car in freak accident
    Not a cycling near miss, but maybe it could have been. How exactly does it qualify as a "freak accident"? Did the steering wheel come loose, or the front wheels fall off? Hopefully the gardai are investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I was reading that post. Hope the injured woman is okay. Sounds like she sustained a nasty injury.

Not sure about the freak part though. I was expecting the driver to have some sort of medical issue that was a factor but doesn’t appear so. You’d want to be going a fair clip in a car park to end up like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,664 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Could be a case of mistaking the brake and accelerator pedals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Strange one this morn.

Cycling onto Seville Place from Five Lamps direction a pigeon lands up ahead of me. Rather than fly off either side, it waited until the very last and flew slowly into the direction I was headed.

I had a face full of pigeon but stayed upright while it flew off.

I was tipping along fairly fast, so it may have looked odd to anyone behind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Weepsie wrote: »
    Strange one this morn.

Cycling onto Seville Place from Five Lamps direction a pigeon lands up ahead of me. Rather than fly off either side, it waited until the very last and flew slowly into the direction I was headed.

I had a face full of pigeon but stayed upright while it flew off.

I was tipping along fairly fast, so it may have looked odd to anyone behind

You mean like this? And this? And

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Waiting at the lights at Liberty hall, heading down custom house quay this morning. Very late red light breaking motorist heading north over butt bridge (ie a good 5 seconds on red) nearly took out a few cyclists and motor cyclist when our light went green.

Edit - Assumed she’d just stop where she was. Looking at the rear camera, she proceeded across the junction on red lights, cutting through two lanes of traffic (very irate motorists) and a group of 10 or so cyclists (they didn’t seem to matter much) heading down custom house quay. Unbelievable driving, but hey there seems to be an epidemic of cyclists breaking red lights so let’s focus on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Unbelievable driving, but hey there seems to be an epidemic of cyclists breaking red lights so let’s focus on that.

We've been through this a thousand times: "road" tax + insurance + reg plate + licence means everything is hunkydory, and will always be hunkydory. If you have a problem with their wild driving, its probably because you haven't got a bicycle pilot's licence and just don't understand how what the driver did suited them at the time and was therefore okay. They have surely earned the right to do as they please. :eek:

If the driver had a up to date NCT they should probably be given a medal too.
    By the way, if you were without a flappy hi-vis you should report to your nearest cyclist vaporisation vat centre to learn the error of your ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Advertisement

Good on him for making himself heard to the driver and seeing that coming. Phew. Could have got really nasty there.

interesting to hear the lorry driver's reaction was 'she could see i was turning left all that time' - or something similar - but the lane he's in seems to be straight on only, so there's a good chance she wouldn't have seen his indicator if there were cars between her and the lorry.

interesting to hear the lorry driver's reaction was 'she could see i was turning left all that time' - or something similar - but the lane he's in seems to be straight on only, so there's a good chance she wouldn't have seen his indicator if there were cars between her and the lorry.

Its one of those things were for a lorry to make that turn they have to go out. There is very little to let the woman in the video know and very difficult for anyone to have seen, could have easily been a left turning motorbike and he would have missed it all the same.

Correct driving protocol would for the lorry driver to have been in the left lane and then merge to take both lanes for the turn so no one would be unclear what was happening. Being in the right lane the whole time was something that was the main issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

given the fact that the lorry still had to reverse in order to be able to complete the turn, despite having started it from the outside lane, one would suggest that left turns for lorries should be banned at that junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Looks like rush hour traffic, why have HGVs in high density areas at rush hour at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

10 years of cycling then 2 in the space of a month in more or less the same place but at least this one was at a slow speed. Cycling up the slip road at junction 4 N4 westbound, in the cycle lane. Just going past the left turn filter lane to stop at the lights when a car came up outside me. Just as it got level the indicator came on and they decided to turn left, on top of me. The left turn filter was already full of cars so this driver had to stop, straddling the cycle lane (and nearly straddling me too - had I not spotted what they were at and swerved).

So anyway I counted to 10 and went up to the drivers window and asked politely and calmly (unusual for me but I was in shock and assumed something strange must have happened to the driver that they decided to (try to) drive into me, like me turning invisible or something. Anyway a bizarre conversation ensued

Me - "Hi, did you not see me there?"
    Driver - "Yes I did"
    Me - "huh? You saw me but decided to try to drive over me?"
    Driver - "You didn't indicate so I didn't know which way you were going"
    Me - "What??? I didn't indicate because I was travelling straight along the road and not turning off"
    Driver - "But you didn't indicate that so I didn't know where you were going"
    Me - "So you decided to drive on top of me then"
    Driver - "But you didn't indicate so I..."
    Me - "Let me get this straight, you didn't see me indicate so you decided to just drive into me?"
    Driver - "But I didn't know where you were going"
    Me - "Right. If you were driving straight through the lights ahead rather than turning here would you have indicated in some way?
    Driver - "No..."
    Me - "So why would you expect me to do something different?
    Driver - "But you didn't indicate so I didn't know which way you were going..."
    Me - "Jesús, you really need to cop yourself on"

I probably should have taken their reg number and reported them, but, to be honest I was (and still am) in complete shock at the attitude.

For context https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3507458,-6.4490549,3a,75y,268.22h,84.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6CbUQ9YibmGgKGLamDmsrw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And I had just cycled over the manhole cover when they decided to turn into me (lights were red so I wasn't going too quickly)

The levels of stupidity from that driver are quite literally mindblowing, glad your Ok com1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

CramCycle wrote: »
    The levels of stupidity from that driver are quite literally mindblowing, glad your Ok com1

How do they survive from day to day with that kind of mindset? Or is it only cyclists that they try to ram?

I really feel a lot of bad drivers are only dodging disaster down to the alertness and capability of other road users. They would be in a world of hurt if they were surrounded by like-minded people the whole time. I'd guess they never realise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

com1 wrote: »
    10 years of cycling then 2 in the space of a month in more or less the same place but at least this one was at a slow speed. Cycling up the slip road at junction 4 N4 westbound, in the cycle lane. Just going past the left turn filter lane to stop at the lights when a car came up outside me. Just as it got level the indicator came on and they decided to turn left, on top of me. The left turn filter was already full of cars so this driver had to stop, straddling the cycle lane (and nearly straddling me too - had I not spotted what they were at and swerved).

So anyway I counted to 10 and went up to the drivers window and asked politely and calmly (unusual for me but I was in shock and assumed something strange must have happened to the driver that they decided to (try to) drive into me, like me turning invisible or something. Anyway a bizarre conversation ensued

Me - "Hi, did you not see me there?"
    Driver - "Yes I did"
    Me - "huh? You saw me but decided to try to drive over me?"
    Driver - "You didn't indicate so I didn't know which way you were going"
    Me - "What??? I didn't indicate because I was travelling straight along the road and not turning off"
    Driver - "But you didn't indicate that so I didn't know where you were going"
    Me - "So you decided to drive on top of me then"
    Driver - "But you didn't indicate so I..."
    Me - "Let me get this straight, you didn't see me indicate so you decided to just drive into me?"
    Driver - "But I didn't know where you were going"
    Me - "Right. If you were driving straight through the lights ahead rather than turning here would you have indicated in some way?
    Driver - "No..."
    Me - "So why would you expect me to do something different?
    Driver - "But you didn't indicate so I didn't know which way you were going..."
    Me - "Jesús, you really need to cop yourself on"

I probably should have taken their reg number and reported them, but, to be honest I was (and still am) in complete shock at the attitude.

For context https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3507458,-6.4490549,3a,75y,268.22h,84.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6CbUQ9YibmGgKGLamDmsrw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And I had just cycled over the manhole cover when they decided to turn into me (lights were red so I wasn't going too quickly)

I've had this exact conversation with a driver not too long ago, was it a woman driving a black saloon type car by any chance??!

It's utterly baffling, utterly! How are we in this situation? How is it possible that there are people out there who not only think like this, but think they're right too.

• Advertisement

check_six wrote: »
    How do they survive from day to day with that kind of mindset?
    always remind yourself - approximately half the drivers you see are below average intelligence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement